Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, awaken said:

What does that mean, “to do Lilla Rose”??

the pained grimace is BIZARRE!

one of the Plath young ladies is wearing an eye trap shirt!

The Bible institute looks deadly boring. And WHY is NotNurie standing that close to the older man, with arms touching??  

Looks like Lilla Rose is an MLM for hair accessories.  Makes sense for this crowd, as hair is certainly something they have in abundance.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, crazy8s said:

the rodriguii had a visit with the Plath family sort of.

most awkward pics of the not Nuries. How exciting  the young women played Uno....

https://www.instagram.com/rodriguesfamilyservingjesus/?hl=en

"Last Friday night, we were excited to travel to Hosanna (Plath) Noble's Grandmother (in laws) LOVELY home to do Lilla Rose, Fellowship, and visit with these dear friends! 😁❤ Lydia and Isaac Plath were up from Georgia for a visit to Hosanna. We love these precious friends of ours! 😍😍"

26 minutes ago, lilwhitelion said:

Looks like Lilla Rose is an MLM for hair accessories.  Makes sense for this crowd, as hair is certainly something they have in abundance.

Thanks for the explanation.  I was wondering how you "do Lilla Rose."

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

If any of you are looking for a job, Swift Otter is hiring! Swift Otter is an IT company that helps businesses build websites that run on the Magento platform. 

The Magento Platform:

"Magento is an ecommerce platform built on open source technology which provides online merchants with a flexible shopping cart system, as well as control over the look, content and functionality of their online store. Magento offers powerful marketing, search engine optimization, and catalog-management tools."

So SwiftOtter assists on-line merchants trying to build website using Magento. From their website:

"We assist online merchants in marketing (search-engine optimization, pay-per-click, design and copywriting) and development (adding features to your website). We are swift and responsive while also agile and capable, like an otter."

So basically Swift Otter is a IT and tech support company. 

The director of Swift Otter is Joseph Maxwell. Joseph is one of Steve Maxwell's children. He was the first child born after Steve had his vasectomy reversed. (Something Steve is very public about.)  Joseph employs his brothers Jesse and Christopher.  He also has four other employees, all-male.  In the past some of the Maxwell girls, have done some bookkeeping for their brothers, particularly Joe's sister Anna. 

Swift Otter seems to be booming! They have a shiny new website. They have 7 people working and are looking to expand.  If you're interested, you can google Swift Otter to see the website and learn more about company culture and if the job is right for you. (Just remember it's fundie owned.)

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

Uh-oh. The Duggardom/Vuolo gang gon' be pissed. Roundup article listing "Christian influencers" includes Carlin Bates (and Tim Tebow) while skipping them completely. 

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/01/the-jet-setting-jesus-quoting-christian-influencers-of-instagram-from-sadie-robertson-huff-to-caroline-franklin.html

Carlin Bates Stewart

Followers: 253,000
Instagram bio: I’m a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about somebody, who will save anybody.
Actual bio: One of 19 children in the sprawling Bates family, who star in the wholesome Duggar-esque reality show Bringing Up Bates, soon to enter its 9th season. Her Insta-savvy siblings include Josie Balka (168,000 followers) and Alyssa Webster (287,000), and she runs the Bates Sisters Boutique (140,000) with sister Erin Paine (345,000) and sister-in-law Whitney Bates (281,000).
Typical post: “He’s been my friend, my strong arm, my laughter, my help, and my hero! Thank you, Evan, for walking through this pregnancy with me hand in hand, arm in arm! Xo”

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 12
  • Love 2

I think that's a very strange article. Why randomly select a Bates girl while mentioning them as "Duggar-esque" and not select a Duggar? Clearly whomever wrote that knows all about the Duggars and chose to omit them. Plus I think every single Duggar girl that is on SM has more followers than any of the Bates girls. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Tasya said:

I think that's a very strange article. Why randomly select a Bates girl while mentioning them as "Duggar-esque" and not select a Duggar? Clearly whomever wrote that knows all about the Duggars and chose to omit them. Plus I think every single Duggar girl that is on SM has more followers than any of the Bates girls. 

I don't think that's the reasoning.

The woman who wrote the article covers religion as her primary (and pretty much her only) beat. It's clear she was including only people who portray themselves as primarily Christian influencers, specifically. So she chose people whose bio/blurbs focus on that and/or who have a fair number of posts about aspects of faith.....and, maybe, whose stuff is a hair better written or more interesting or amusing than any runners-up. 

The Duggar/Vuolo social media posts/bios don't talk all that much about religion, and their writing is pretty meh. I'm sure they were in the mix to be chosen but those things meant they just didn't make the cut. Ruth Graham's trying to write an article that will hold the attention of people who likely don't even know who most of these folks are, not write an homage to them based on who's the most famous. 

Note that Carlin is the Bates who got picked, and, as the article notes, she's got fewer followers than some of her sisters/sisters-in-law, so number of followers wasn't one of the criteria. But her bio blurb focuses on faith and is a quote that's quite clever and thus attention-getting, especially to people like most Slate readers who are unlikely to know much about Christian or Gospel music and may never have heard it before. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

And how is Carlin a “jet setter?”

She's a Duggar-private-plane-setter. 😁

Seriously, I expect Graham wanted to include the group of Christian influencers who have become tv-famous but aren't sports stars or the children of wealthy preachers because it is a prominent group. 

So the headline includes most of the people in the article but doesn't necessarily encompass all of them, notably that tv-famous group. ...

Journalists are very seldom allowed to write their own headlines or even have any input into them, An editor writes it with an eye to gathering eyeballs with what people will find striking about the article -- "jet-setting super-Christians" is it. 

The only purpose of the headline is to get people to keep reading. And thus it's the most important line in your article -- but not because it's the truest!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Texting frenzy among Jessa, JB and Jeremy happening right now? Jessa's saying, but those religious posts of Spurge a while back and I only wear dresses. Jeremy's saying, I'm in a religious Master's program and JB is saying, I'm the father of 19 kids.

Be prepared for new bios and an onslaught of Bible verses.

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
Just now, DangerousMinds said:

I mean, honestly, she’s really such a simple hillbilly (like the rest of them!)

Yep. They'd fit right in with the cast of Hee-Haw back in the day....Well, except for the talent part, I guess. 

• LOL 9

Scrolling through the article, I noticed all the influencers have several things in common: they're all attractive, polished, skilled at staging and on-trend in terms of fashion and hair. Even glowed-up Jinger looks dowdy by comparison. Jill, Jessa and Jana don't stand a chance. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 17
55 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Scrolling through the article, I noticed all the influencers have several things in common: they're all attractive, polished, skilled at staging and on-trend in terms of fashion and hair. Even glowed-up Jinger looks dowdy by comparison. Jill, Jessa and Jana don't stand a chance. 

I agree. I think the Bates girls (including Whitney) all look so much more polished and put together than any of the Duggar daughters. Their social media looks the same way. Like you said, even Jinger at her best looks dowdy compared to the influencers they mentioned in the article. IMO, the influencers mentioned in the article are able to make their staged posts look less try hard than JinJer. Maybe because JinJer (especially Jeremy) are so thirsty for fame. Then again, they are the breakout stars of the show.😉

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Tasya said:

The Duggars come with public baggage even random people know about .

• Love 13

I follow Carlin on Instagram and I don’t see much that’s Christian-related. It’s mostly her and husband in their car, going out for coffee or occasional dinners - all excited about their date. Carlin strikes poses, flutters her eyes and rearranges her hair. I agree with the others who think it’s because she’s exceptionally attractive and she had a big fancy wedding that got some magazine coverage. 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Lawson is so dreamy *flutters eyelashes*

He does quote the Bible and ask for help for others who need it.
He definitely went through a period of trying to be an Instagram model but seems to have dropped that pursuit for awhile now.

• Useful 2

And just like that Carlin the Christian Influencer Queen gave birth to her daughter.

Came back to add, the birth date is fairly close to premarital sex speculation, although she was induced early.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

1. No way Carlin actually said any of the quotes attributed to her. She's like the rest of the Bates (and Duggar) offspring and can barely string two words together. 

2. Her insistence on smiling with her mouth open makes her look like an idiot. 

3. The Bateses are just Duggars in more aesthetic packaging, which is probably why they annoy me even more than the Duggars do. 

• Love 19
On 1/28/2020 at 10:59 AM, Fostersmom said:

I grew up in Mentor too! How odd, maybe we know each other!

I grew up in Mentor three!  Or at least lived there from age 15 till I went off to college.  I smiled when I saw those buildings, I know right where they are, too.  My dad worked in Willoughby not too far from there.

1. No way Carlin actually said any of the quotes attributed to her. She's like the rest of the Bates (and Duggar) offspring and can barely string two words together

The entire interview sounded like fundie Mad Libs.  Childbirth is 'magically wonderful'.  And Lucky Charms are magically delicious!  The baby has 'consumed our thoughts and intentions'.  What the he** does that even mean?  The kid isn't even 24 hours old, they are still in the hospital, but Carlin is already 'incredibly busy'.  With what, pray tell?  It's like they took a bunch of meaningless phrases, tossed them in a blender and out came a word salad of nothing.

Am I an awful person to suggest that the reason that Carlin makes that big open-mouthed smile is to make sure the dimple in her cheek is as obvious as possible?  To me, she always looks like maybe she has a sinus condition and has to breath through her mouth.  

Edited by doodlebug
  • LOL 4
  • Love 16