Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, awaken said:

Kelly bates posted a substantial comment about their girls needing to wear skirts while at home under their care, but allowed to make their own decisions once they’re married, and they love them no matter what. Apparently they were wearing skiing skirts?! Judson was in a video snowboarding, didn’t see a pic of the skirts. 

21 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

I just don't get it. What's the point? Ski pants are already thick and wide enought

Stupid people

It's nuts. Most of the time, by most people's standards, pants are actually more "modest" than skirts unless you're comparing skin tight pants with a skirt to your ankles. 

As for Daniel at the laundromat (it drives me nuts when she says laundry mat), there are actually vulnerable, lonely people out there who buy into the "I'm saved" doctrine after someone like Jill "witnesses." So as far as that goes, it may be that she's created a new fundie person. I've seen it happen, back in my tract-giving childhood.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Snow Fairy said:

I just don't get it. What's the point? Ski pants are already thick and wide enought

Stupid people

But I would know she’s a girl?

I don’t think it’t about modesty at all. It’s about keeping girls and women in gender conforming roles.

Edited to add: it’s also about controling women’s bodies.

Edited by Future Cat Lady
  • Love 14
14 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I'd figure out a way to drop an F bomb into the conversation. That should be enough to scare her away thinking I'm the world's biggest sinner.

And maybe mention my "partner". 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Lunera said:

It's on her Instagram stories. She made the young girls wear ski skirts. It seems so stupid and dangerous, she can't open her legs to keep her balance. 

Screenshot_20200108-225857_Instagram-1080x1920.thumb.jpg.e05aaa399bfd151298b1b037332c909d.jpg

9 more years until she's married off and doesn't have to wear this ridiculous get up. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

Can you imagine how that would have gone down in the Bible?

”Hey Paul, what’s up?”

”Not too much, Thomas. I’ve decided to quit my job and become a full-time apostle.”

”Oh yeah? Of who?”

”Daniel!”

”Daniel? You mean Daniel in the *Laundromat*? That Daniel?”

”Yup. You should hear the guy speak! Super inspirational, and he can pronounce Gethsemane like a pro. (Pause) Hey, you look like you’re having some doubts there, Thomas.”

”Dude, Daniel in the Laundromat can’t even remember to wash his whites and his colors separately.”

”Oh c’mon. He’s a legit guy.”

”It’s cool, you gotta do you. I’m just saying you’re going to be the apostle of a guy in pink underwear.”  

I love this so very very much....

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

I love this so very very much....

Me too!  I can't stop laughing at the imagery.  @mynextmistake, this is brilliant!

I almost woke my husband up last night as I read this but it would take too much explaining.  I've kept my obsession with all things fundie to myself.

• Love 11

F***k Kelly for saying the girls can wear what they want after they marry! The girls are legally adults when they turn 18 and should be allowed to make their own clothing choices at that age. Kelly and Gil are controlling and manipulative jerks for telling their girls they need to be married to be adults. There's no excuse for saying someone can where what they want when they're married, but not when they're a single adult. It's a way of manipulating them so they get married young and have babies and not explore their options about what they want in life. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 18
15 hours ago, Lunera said:

It's on her Instagram stories. She made the young girls wear ski skirts. It seems so stupid and dangerous, she can't open her legs to keep her balance. 

Screenshot_20200108-225857_Instagram-1080x1920.thumb.jpg.e05aaa399bfd151298b1b037332c909d.jpg

Have to say I have nothing but respect for the athleticism and determination of anybody who successfully snowboards in that skirt. 

Although I suppose the aim here is that I should only have respect for her as an unkissed-till-the-wedding-future-double-digit-babymaking machine. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, Temperance said:

The main Maxwell blog post...

Teri's Mom's Corner is about how she prayed on whether to buy three more long-sleeved t-shirts. The Lord said no, but then her kids gave her them for Christmas.

This made me LOL 😂 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

These were probably three shirts from WalMart that totaled $11, but God told her not to buy them! I would have enjoyed hearing that conversation. If I overspend or buy something ugly, it's on me. I bet the voice Teri hears in her head sounds just like Stevie's. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

What's even more ridiculous about the snow skirts is the skirts will ride up with movement and especially being shiny/slippery fabric against shiny/slippery fabric.

Nothing says modesty like seeing someone splayed on the ground with their 'skirt' up around their waist - snow pants or no snow pants.

• LOL 9
  • Love 11

For most women, the moment when you have to change out of your wedding dress is bittersweet. 

I wonder if the Bates girls had a "Hell yes! Jeans!" moment instead.

The fact that they are wearing skinny jeans before the ink on the marriage certificate has a chance to dry should tell Kelly that the "girls wear skirts" message is falling on deaf ears.  But of course she just doubles down. 🙄

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

These were probably three shirts from WalMart that totaled $11, but God told her not to buy them! I would have enjoyed hearing that conversation. If I overspend or buy something ugly, it's on me. I bet the voice Teri hears in her head sounds just like Stevie's. 

The shirts are actually from Eddie Bauer. 

• Love 2

I think the Fundy modesty dress code is ridiculous and oppressive. But I had input about what my children wore when they lived at home. The input wasn't crazy and for the most part they pretty much dressed the same after they moved out, but I'm okay having expectations of 'when living under my roof'.

I'm not fond of facial piercings. One of my kids wanted to pierce her nose. She was over 18. She knew I didn't care for them and asked for my input. I said I wanted her to wait until she was on her own (really I was hoping in time she'd change her mind). She agree to wait. She's in her 30s now with no facial piercings. Yay!

• Love 9

I've known other people with "in my house my rules". Fundies however are so controlling that they don't want their kids to move out and be independent, particularly their girls. They want the girls to live at home until they get married when they are under the authority of the headship. It might be different if they expected there would be time where the girls would be adults who can make their own decisions, but that time is never. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

What's even more ridiculous about the snow skirts is the skirts will ride up with movement and especially being shiny/slippery fabric against shiny/slippery fabric.

Nothing says modesty like seeing someone splayed on the ground with their 'skirt' up around their waist - snow pants or no snow pants.

There's a picture on instastories with her on the ski lift, and the skirt is hiked all the way up to her hips.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Heathen said:

"Ski skirts" aren't about modesty at all! It's "look at me, I'm such a righteous Christchun!"

Kelly Bates is so full of shit, she squeaks. 

Based on what we know of Gothardism and the Wisdumb Booklets, I'm almost positive that "ski skirts" came about "working as double duty in case anyone around starts to suspect that the girls possess a crotch".

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, hello Jill. Is that an anklet? How sluttish of you! 

Wait, to people so wear anklets? I though that was a trend that died in 2004. But I'm from the north where is mostly to cold to wear anklets, so maybe not.

But I'm pretty sure it was never cool to wear a long sleeved blouse under a sleeveless cocktail dress. 

• LOL 16
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, McManda said:

Wait, to people so wear anklets? I though that was a trend that died in 2004. But I'm from the north where is mostly to cold to wear anklets, so maybe not.

But I'm pretty sure it was never cool to wear a long sleeved blouse under a sleeveless cocktail dress. 

But how would people know she's a better Christian.LOL

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, hello Jill. Is that an anklet? How sluttish of you! 

17884593_1868804930024518_1891971622441520691_n.jpg.1fd21cddc8a880b228ce285395aa78f2.jpg

I don't  exactly know what's going on with the pattern of that dress, but I know an eye trap when I see one. 

• LOL 15
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, sondraK said:
1 hour ago, McManda said:

The anklet fad may have died out 15 years ago, but Jill's stuck in the 90's, sooo....

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

Stupid people

These down skirts (they aren’t actually called ski skirts because, well, no sane person wears them skiing) are actually really practical in a cold climate. They weren’t designed for “modesty” purposes. The long ones are warmer than ski pants, you can wear them over things you couldn’t easily wear ski pants over (like skirts and dresses), and they’re easier to put on and take off. They were a huge fad where I live about five years ago. 

I think it’s ridiculous that the Bates girls actually have to wear them skiing. I feel like somewhere in her quest to be the holiest Gothard housewife Kelly lost the plot a bit. 

• Love 15
8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

The anklet fad may have died out 15 years ago, but Jill's stuck in the 90's, sooo....

Anklets are still done, it's just not as common as they were in the 90's and before.  They're more commonly worn when going barefoot, to kind of dress up the feet when you aren't wearing cute sandals or heels.  I'd never wear one because I wouldn't want to draw attention to my massive (large boned) ankles, but I used to wear a toe ring because I have tiny toes.  I hear they're coming back again.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

I think it’s ridiculous that the Bates girls actually have to wear them skiing. I feel like somewhere in her quest to be the holiest Gothard housewife Kelly lost the plot a bit. 

Do the oldest Bates girls have to wear a ski skirt too? Anyone who follows gothard must have lost the plot, what a loon. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Portia said:

I don't  exactly know what's going on with the pattern of that dress, but I know an eye trap when I see one. 

I'm thinking Jill got a push-up bra for Christmas. 

• LOL 13
2 hours ago, Zahdii said:

Anklets are still done, it's just not as common as they were in the 90's and before.  They're more commonly worn when going barefoot, to kind of dress up the feet when you aren't wearing cute sandals or heels.  I'd never wear one because I wouldn't want to draw attention to my massive (large boned) ankles, but I used to wear a toe ring because I have tiny toes.  I hear they're coming back again.

I still wear them on occasion. I have a pretty one I bought at a RenFaire a few years ago. It has green stones and shamrocks on a silver chain. Its quite pretty. I do toe rings in the summer with sandals every so often. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Guess Jill’s uterus went to heaven for eternal rest. No pregnancy announcement and the baby is almost 2. 

Unless she plans to be pregnant with Nuri at the same time. 

We can only hope Janessa is the last. But it would not surprise me in the least if Jill became pregnant at the same time as Nurie because it ALWAYS has to be about Jill. 

• Love 12
11 hours ago, Totally said:

Does Jill actually think that she looks good?

Absolutely, and I’m sure that her brainwashed kids are constantly telling her how blessed they are to have such a beautiful and godly mother. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Unless she plans to be pregnant with Nuri at the same time. 

She probably is determined not to be “big pregnant” 🤮 for her big day. Meaning Nurie’s wedding.

Then she’ll keep Mt. DRod in bed 24/7 until she’s pregnant.

Although perimenopause could explain a few things...

• Love 7