Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
sweet201

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other TLC Families Thread)

Recommended Posts

For all we know the JRods were deputized by the church that ran them out. Once deputized, forever deputized, in JillR's book.

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

45 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

Ok. So can we revisit the new Rod house?  There are a few things I’ve been mulling over:

1. My significant other lives near Wooster.  I looked up the new Rod house on Zillow (based on the info here and other places) and it’s not a far drive from his home.  Close enough that when I’m there, it’s a pretty good chance we will run into them at the store or a local “good” Olive Garden.  WHYYYYYYYY?!?!  
2. In my profession I work closely with printers. I frequently visit print shops of all sizes and volumes.  There is a definite...odor.  Shrek has a small offset press, one that requires the use of ink (not toner, as in a desktop printer you may have in your home).  If you have never had the pleasure of smelling offset ink, it’s, well, reminiscent of the smell of those old black permanent markers.  Only stronger.  The kind of smell that permeates everything and makes your chest warm and your head swimmy.  The newer soy-based inks have a slightly lesser smell but there are still VOCs being let loose into the air. It’s not something you want to be around for extended periods of time without proper ventilation.  That being said, living above the shop is going to prove to be a stinky and possibly not so healthy proposal. Unless David installs some heavy duty exhaust into the shop, the Off gassing from the ink will go up through the floor and into their living area. I see a lot of upper respiratory infections in their future. Or worse. I have friends in the industry who have serious health issues from years of breathing in ink fumes.  I hope for the kids’ sake he has an exhaust system planned!
3. And honestly, opening the doors to the garage for exhaust is not an option.  To properly print offset, the paper must be completely flat. As in no waves or curls.  Wavy paper results from humidity and temperature fluctuations.  Printers have equipment to monitor humidity in their closed production floors so that the $$$ they spend on paper is not wasted. David could potentially lose all of the smiley face tract paper if he kept the big door open for even just a little while.  

But but but GAWD will provide!

  • Laugh 6
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

I have a SERIOUSLY SEVERE question...   Why does Jilly ask questions of her followers in her posts when she has commenting turned off?  
 

 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

I have a SERIOUSLY SEVERE question...   Why does Jilly ask questions of her followers in her posts when she has commenting turned off?  
 

 

I think she often cross-posts to Facebook, where her friends can comment. 

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

Ok. So can we revisit the new Rod house?  There are a few things I’ve been mulling over:

1. My significant other lives near Wooster.  I looked up the new Rod house on Zillow (based on the info here and other places) and it’s not a far drive from his home.  Close enough that when I’m there, it’s a pretty good chance we will run into them at the store or a local “good” Olive Garden.  WHYYYYYYYY?!?!  
2. In my profession I work closely with printers. I frequently visit print shops of all sizes and volumes.  There is a definite...odor.  Shrek has a small offset press, one that requires the use of ink (not toner, as in a desktop printer you may have in your home).  If you have never had the pleasure of smelling offset ink, it’s, well, reminiscent of the smell of those old black permanent markers.  Only stronger.  The kind of smell that permeates everything and makes your chest warm and your head swimmy.  The newer soy-based inks have a slightly lesser smell but there are still VOCs being let loose into the air. It’s not something you want to be around for extended periods of time without proper ventilation.  That being said, living above the shop is going to prove to be a stinky and possibly not so healthy proposal. Unless David installs some heavy duty exhaust into the shop, the Off gassing from the ink will go up through the floor and into their living area. I see a lot of upper respiratory infections in their future. Or worse. I have friends in the industry who have serious health issues from years of breathing in ink fumes.  I hope for the kids’ sake he has an exhaust system planned!
3. And honestly, opening the doors to the garage for exhaust is not an option.  To properly print offset, the paper must be completely flat. As in no waves or curls.  Wavy paper results from humidity and temperature fluctuations.  Printers have equipment to monitor humidity in their closed production floors so that the $$$ they spend on paper is not wasted. David could potentially lose all of the smiley face tract paper if he kept the big door open for even just a little while.  

OMG. I thought the exact same thing. I am a Graphic Designer, and I have certainly worked in print shops in my past. And it does indeed have its own aroma, shall we say. I could never, ever imagine living with that smell. Nope.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Liddy52 said:

Why is Jill taking pictures while they are praying? If it is a time when the congregation is supposed to all be praying, then she should be praying also.  It would be the reverent and respectful thing to do, as well as setting an example to her children of appropriate behavior. Instead of PRAYING to the Lord, she is PREYING on the sympathies of her followers. There is also a verse in the Bible in which Jesus admonishes his followers not to pray in public so as to draw attention to themselves as the Pharisees did, but to pray in secret. That does not mean that prayer couldn't and shouldn't take place in a worship service. It certainly should. But it is not a spectator sport. Rant over

Plus it's just disrespectful and an invasion of her children's privacy and posted for all to see!  I'd be furious which I know her kids would never realize that they had the right to privacy during prayer.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

The Bates are in Colorado on ski trip. Trace and Chaney are there. They met last year on a ski trip in Colorado. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Temperance said:

The Bates are in Colorado on ski trip. Trace and Chaney are there. They met last year on a ski trip in Colorado. 

Perfect time and place to propose a courtship.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Trace deleted his Colorado pic that I saw earlier today. His IG has been strange lately.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Temperance said:

The Bates are in Colorado on ski trip. Trace and Chaney are there. They met last year on a ski trip in Colorado. 

 I read a few threads last week that said Trace and Cheney deleted all pictures from each others Instagram. Apparently it happened more than once. Now the pictures are back. Hopefully he's not proposing...

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Genevieve Jackson is engaged! Marjorie's closest in age sister is 19 and engaged to be married.  Her engagment photos show the happy couple kissing while Genevieve wears jeans.

Marjorie is still single after a broken courtship with Josiah. Her family seems more mainstream than most of the fundies we follow. 

  • Like 6
  • Useful 2
  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

I have a SERIOUSLY SEVERE question...   Why does Jilly ask questions of her followers in her posts when she has commenting turned off?  
 

 

It's a rhetorical question meant to invite you to contemplate how she is more godly than you are. Humility is one of her many gifts which help her make a difference for Christ.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 18

Share this post


Link to post

39 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Genevieve Jackson is engaged! Marjorie's closest in age sister is 19 and engaged to be married.  Her engagment photos show the happy couple kissing while Genevieve wears jeans.

Marjorie is still single after a broken courtship with Josiah. Her family seems more mainstream than most of the fundies we follow. 

Looked through Genevieve's IG, seems like they've been seeing each other for less than a year. Marjorie is only 21, can't believe they tried to marry her off years ago. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, louannems said:

Plus it's just disrespectful and an invasion of her children's privacy and posted for all to see!  I'd be furious which I know her kids would never realize that they had the right to privacy during prayer.

That may have been a “Kids, pretend you’re praying so mama can post a pic showing people how holy we are!” picture.

  • Laugh 13

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

Ok. So can we revisit the new Rod house?  There are a few things I’ve been mulling over:

1. My significant other lives near Wooster.  I looked up the new Rod house on Zillow (based on the info here and other places) and it’s not a far drive from his home.  Close enough that when I’m there, it’s a pretty good chance we will run into them at the store or a local “good” Olive Garden.  WHYYYYYYYY?!?!  
2. In my profession I work closely with printers. I frequently visit print shops of all sizes and volumes.  There is a definite...odor.  Shrek has a small offset press, one that requires the use of ink (not toner, as in a desktop printer you may have in your home).  If you have never had the pleasure of smelling offset ink, it’s, well, reminiscent of the smell of those old black permanent markers.  Only stronger.  The kind of smell that permeates everything and makes your chest warm and your head swimmy.  The newer soy-based inks have a slightly lesser smell but there are still VOCs being let loose into the air. It’s not something you want to be around for extended periods of time without proper ventilation.  That being said, living above the shop is going to prove to be a stinky and possibly not so healthy proposal. Unless David installs some heavy duty exhaust into the shop, the Off gassing from the ink will go up through the floor and into their living area. I see a lot of upper respiratory infections in their future. Or worse. I have friends in the industry who have serious health issues from years of breathing in ink fumes.  I hope for the kids’ sake he has an exhaust system planned!
3. And honestly, opening the doors to the garage for exhaust is not an option.  To properly print offset, the paper must be completely flat. As in no waves or curls.  Wavy paper results from humidity and temperature fluctuations.  Printers have equipment to monitor humidity in their closed production floors so that the $$$ they spend on paper is not wasted. David could potentially lose all of the smiley face tract paper if he kept the big door open for even just a little while.  

If you run into them at least you can see if they are as skinny as we think they are. 
 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Temperance said:

Genevieve Jackson is engaged! Marjorie's closest in age sister is 19 and engaged to be married.  Her engagment photos show the happy couple kissing while Genevieve wears jeans.

Marjorie is still single after a broken courtship with Josiah. Her family seems more mainstream than most of the fundies we follow. 

And guess what Jill D posted on Marjorie's page?

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

And guess what Jill D posted on Marjorie's page?

yay! ? or something else?

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Temperance said:

yay! ? or something else?

Yay!! Congrats! 🤗👏🏼💞

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Temperance said:

The Bates are in Colorado on ski trip. Trace and Chaney are there. They met last year on a ski trip in Colorado. 

How did she ski in a long denim skirt? 

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

Listening to lots of preaching sounds like a super boring New Year’s Eve. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

OMG. I thought the exact same thing. I am a Graphic Designer, and I have certainly worked in print shops in my past. And it does indeed have its own aroma, shall we say. I could never, ever imagine living with that smell. Nope.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought this, LOL!  While I love the smell of a print shop or a freshly printed brochure, there’s a limit to my appreciation. Within 30 minutes of being on a press check I am ready to go lol!  And that’s with adequate ventilation!  I just can not imagine living above a print shop, breathing in all those fumes, 24/7.  Even if Shrek only runs the press once a week, the equipment still smells!  

3 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

If you run into them at least you can see if they are as skinny as we think they are. 
 

 

Oh I will certainly report back if and when I do see them!  More like when, all things considered. 

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Isn't the space where the printer would go adjacent to, rather than below, the living quarters? I'm sure a door separates the spaces, but they're still going to need to set up adequate ventilation. As close as I can figure, they cleared about $20k between the sale of the WV place and the purchase of this one (well below asking at $144k). 

They'll need every penny of that $20k to make that place habitable.

  • Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

1. My significant other lives near Wooster.  I looked up the new Rod house on Zillow (based on the info here and other places) and it’s not a far drive from his home.  Close enough that when I’m there, it’s a pretty good chance we will run into them at the store or a local “good” Olive Garden.  WHYYYYYYYY?!?!

When you see them at the "good" Olive Garden, maybe think about taking one for the team and trying to corrupt one of them. You could also, try to work your feminine wiles on David. Just throwing some options out there. 😉

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 15

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/5/2020 at 6:13 AM, sugarplum said:

I’ll attempt to answer this. Let me preface by saying - I’ve never seen or met The Rodrigues family. I did, however, grow up fundie, in a fundie family, and attending an IFB church until I graduated college. So, I have some experience. 
 

Basically, the Rods are serving as missionaries - their “field” just isn’t international. they print these tracts and other literature, then disperse them to other missionaries and churches to hand out. I haven’t been to their website or done a lot of research on the family, but they most likely have a home/backing church, and are tied to a mission organization since the quoted above says they are traveling on deputation (which is basically traveling to “sister” churches to raise funds for their ministry, introduce their family to supporting churches, and solicit prayers). When I was growing up, our church was involved with the BIMI organization. My pastor was on the board or directors and we frequently had missionaries/families at our church that would preach, sing, some even provided skits. They always set up a table in the vestibule filled with photos of them in their field, educational materials, prayer cards, and a way to sign up for their mailing/prayer list. A “love offering” was always collected for them (that was in addition to the regular church offering). My church supported missionaries regularly. A portion of the weekly offering went directly to missions. I don’t remember the exact break down because it’s been quite a few years since I attended, but close to 50% of tithes were devoted to missions. The remaining was used for church expenses. The church prided itself on financially supporting missions. So, while the Rod family is taking printing jobs, they truly may not be getting paid directly for each job. Their supporting churches pay them at certain intervals (weekly/monthly/quarterly) and that money is used for their ministry. Basically all of their supporting churches are funding the printing, even though they may not be placing orders. It’s all done for the “greater good”. It’s viewed as outreach and even if my church may not be in need of their tracts at the time, another church would be, and both churches had the same mission - win souls for Christ. 
 

The only way to get support from churches, is for the churches to get to know your ministry. So they travel around the country, getting their name and mission in front of people to garner more support. 
 

While I’m still a believer, I haven’t been fundie for a long time and no longer attend an IFB church. But much of my family still attend, so I feel as though I still have some ties. I have an aunt and uncle who frequently welcome visiting missionaries into their home, treat them to nice dinners out, and constantly send supplies when they are in the field. When I was a senior in high school, I went on a mission trip with my church and we spent much of the trip folding tracts like the Rods print and going door to door in a foreign country, passing them out. As an adult and mother now, I shudder at the fact that my parents allowed me to do this. It was a different age then, and we had a greater sense of being safe, but I would never allow my kids to knock on strangers doors now and hand out ANYTHING, including bible literature. But I guess at the time, it was just assumed by the church (including my parents), that God would protect us. And thankfully, the worse thing that ever happened to us was people pretending to not speak English, people slamming the door in our face, or cussing us out. 😉
 

I hope that explains it some. As I said, I’m no longer a part of this lifestyle and haven’t been for years, but I spent the better part of 25 years as a fundie and am happy to answer questions as best as I can from my experience. 

Do all of these churches indulge anyone who comes their way, no matter how redundant, useless or pointless their mission is? 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

Do all of these churches indulge anyone who comes their way, no matter how redundant, useless or pointless their mission is? 

Or how many kids they have to support? 

36 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

When you see them at the "good" Olive Garden, maybe think about taking one for the team and trying to corrupt one of them. You could also, try to work your feminine wiles on David. Just throwing some options out there. 😉

Walk by David in short shorts,tank top or something tight.Jill gets ticked at women who dress this way,so perhaps David has a wandering eye?

3 minutes ago, sondraK said:

 

 

Edited by sondraK
  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Isn't the space where the printer would go adjacent to, rather than below, the living quarters? I'm sure a door separates the spaces, but they're still going to need to set up adequate ventilation. As close as I can figure, they cleared about $20k between the sale of the WV place and the purchase of this one (well below asking at $144k). 

They'll need every penny of that $20k to make that place habitable.

Although one side of the building appears taller, I think all the space is one level. So yes the shop would be separated by an interior uninsulated wall. Not sure how much printing Mr Rod actually does, but one print job would likely permeate the entire place. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

 

I think this is the first time she actually referred to him by his name and not "Anna Duggar's Brother!"

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 13

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, awaken said:

Listening to lots of preaching sounds like a super boring New Year’s Eve. 

I know it sounds weird but it can be fun if done right. Lots of food, singing and yes some preaching and prayer. I have never been a fan of crowds and the smell of alcohol in  crowd of drinkers makes me queasy to think of it. It was right up my alley nice and peaceful. People enjoy different things.

  • Like 7
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I can't get behind the theory that they are running from CPS.  As I've said in the past, I think they can pass the very basic standards used to determine children are at risk.  There, unfortunately, are many children in much more dire circumstances than the Rodrigui, no matter how awful it may look to us.  It's a real mystery to me why they made this move.  Although, I think Jilly is pretty impulsive, so maybe it's as simple as she just wanted to move and live in a more rural area.  It will be interesting to see if we ever get any answers. 

  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

My husband works in construction, and his place of employment is like a barndominium. Half of the building is the business/shop, and half is where the owner and his family lives. The part where the family lives is very small, like tiny house small. But it works for them as they take long extravagant vacations that they can afford due to this arrangement. I took care of their dogs while they were gone, and I couldn’t hear the shop noise. However, the business is all about sound, so they have a lot of sound proofing. So I have seen it done, but way better executed that what it appears the Rods are trying to do. 

I am someone who can get by with very little, but I just don’t get them. Like others have pointed out, the septic tank is going to be a nightmare. And you need more bathrooms. 

They don’t seem particularly handy. I wonder how and if they are going modify the barn for their needs.

  • Like 6
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

20 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

I have a SERIOUSLY SEVERE question...   Why does Jilly ask questions of her followers in her posts when she has commenting turned off?  
 

 

Why are they praying kneeling or facing backwards into the pew?  I know Catholic churches have the kneelers to use but why would you ask the congregation to kneel when it can't be done properly?  Maybe Jill came up with this idea just for her family to do to look more Godly. Looks very awkward to me especially wearing a dress. At least the floor looks carpeted but still.....

2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

 

Someone needs to break Jill's bubble & let her know   that Nathan isn't the first person to reference 20/20 vision with the new 2020 year.  

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 19

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, kokapetl said:

Do all of these churches indulge anyone who comes their way, no matter how redundant, useless or pointless their mission is? 

If their beliefs line up with those of the church they are visiting, most will welcome a family/missionary for at least a part of a service (Special music, preaching, or just introducing them to the congregation). Churches LOVE to hear how others are growing the “army of God”, so they don’t consider them useless or pointless because everyone is working towards the same goal. Some have bigger roles in that goal than others, but they view all as important. 
 

Typically though, those traveling to churches for support aren’t unknown to the church, or at least to the church leadership. I mentioned before about the mission organization that they are attached too. Churches are also part of this. A church will support a specific mission organization and most of those that come through their doors are with the same organization. So they have been “vetted” and are known to them, even if by name only. Those not associated with their mission organization have often come on recommendation of a sister church, or even through a personal tie with a church member. 
 

That being said, they may not financially support every one that comes through their doors in terms of regular monthly support, but they may take up a love offering for someone that isn’t on their support list. 

  • Like 4
  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post

Over the years I have gone to a fair number of New Year's Eve church services where I  joined with other Christian believers to take  communion and pray. Unfortunately, it never occurred to me to gather photographic proof of my conspicuous religiosity. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it that I am WAY more godly than you heathens. 

@Barb23 , in my experience, Evangelical churches don't have built-in kneelers, possibly because kneeling isn't an established part of their worship service.  When someone feels led to kneel, it's often done at the "altar," which is just the (sometimes raised) front part of the sanctuary. 

  • Like 13
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

How are David’s silly tracts converting ANY heathers?

Honestly? They likely don’t. 🤷‍♀️😂 But the phrase that was always preached to us is that we may be planting a seed when you put that gospel tract in their hand. You may not see the fruits of that, but the seed is planted and someone else may be the one to come along and water/nurture/sow that seed. I’d imagine that most people toss them before even reading it though. I’ve had them stuck in my front door before and they get tossed right along with the junk mail. I can see some situations where they could be useful, specifically with foreign missions with language barriers.

  • Like 7
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Portia said:

 

@Barb23 , in my experience, Evangelical churches don't have built-in kneelers, possibly because kneeling isn't an established part of their worship service.  When someone feels led to kneel, it's often done at the "altar," which is just the (sometimes raised) front part of the sanctuary. 

Maybe JillR thought it best to draw less attention to her famous large family by staying in their pew & praying backwards rather than drawing attention to themselves by praying at the altar.  

Except it probably drew more attention to them praying this way than by kneeling at the altar.  Just what JillR wanted.

 

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

In a city, religious tracts like other advertising can become significant street and sidewalk litter, which the pamphleteers should clean up but leave to the city to deal with. 

The septic situation in the house won't be any worse than it is in the RV while they travel. On the road, they probably unload at a gas station or restaurant they're not eating in so everyone can make a bathroom run at once. There will have to be rules in the house too about when and how often the kids can use the toilet. Their meager food intake might be helpful in this situation. What a life to aspire to. 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 9

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size