Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I saw the "house". Its ugly as sin. More like an oversized storage shed. 

I saw the photos too. It's very plain although IIRC there are some shrubs planted in front and some attempt to make it look neat and tidy. The main thing to me, is that It doesn't look like a home; it looks like a commercial property. A very simple, clean, no-frills commercial property. On that scale, I wouldn't call it actually ugly. Not anything special, though. Just IMO.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 7
On 1/1/2020 at 3:20 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Those Bates girls sure carry small. Joy was bigger at 15 weeks.

Do you think the Bates girls know they look like sex kittens and just play dumb about it?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, sleepysuzy said:

I could see them using a homeschool co-op. Jill could outsource her responsibilities to her older girls,  signing them up to be teacher's aides for the youngest kids. I've seen other large homeschool families do this to keep up with state requirements. 

I went to a Christian college in north central Ohio, and it is pretty diverse. All of my roommates were even more conservative than the Rodrigues family - no makeup, jewelry, or haircuts in addition to long skirts. There are Amish, Mennonite, Pentacostal, and Baptist groups in the area. Some of my classmates were from the Wooster area.

That’s really interesting @sleepysuzy! I always enjoy hearing about the cultural demographics from people who live somewhere. 
I apologize mods, we can take this to small talk👍🏻

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I saw the "house". Its ugly as sin. More like an oversized storage shed. 

this is the Realtor description of the house - I have never heard of "Barndominium"

"Do you need a great property for a home business without restrictions? Look no further--1300 sqft two large bedrooms/one bathroom property with a large living room and kitchen combo. Owner has made many upgrades on this Barndominium with tons of room for the hobbyist or work-at-home office and warehouse. Store your boats, classic cars or four-wheelers in the large workshop 1200 sqft bay area with a 12' overhead door. This is a flexible building using "post frame" construction. Enjoy privacy and beautiful views on your 1.51 acre of peace and quiet. Look to the future-- this area is surrounded by newer homes and bucolic farmland. Just minutes to Wooster--take a look and make a lifestyle change."

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1

Barndominiums are the opposite of the tiny house craze. On the outside they look like huge ugly metal shops, on the inside there are usually bedrooms down the sides with the middle an open-concept kitchen and living room. 

• Useful 13
  • Love 1

I used the description and found the listing right away. I think the girls will be given the checkerboard area and the boys will get one of the rooms. Other room for the parents. They'll likely add in another bathroom on the girl's side. But that still doesn't solve the issue of a laundry room.

The crazy thing is that if you look at the "other homes in this area" you can find a 3 bed 2 ba home with a side office a basement and laundry room for 150k. It just makes no sense that they decided on that piece of property with their needs. 

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

What is known about Wooster? That barn looks to be in the middle of nowhere.

My husband Uncle Catfish (?) is from Canton and he has relatives in Wooster.  It isn't too far from "civilization" and is actually a charming town.  Lots of Amish in that area.  Maybe this family is going even farther off the grid and joining them.  Heck, what am I thinking?  No social media then......hopefully those skinny children can fill out on some of the fine Amish cheese that is made around there.  I can dream...

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, Aunt Catfish said:

My husband Uncle Catfish (?) is from Canton and he has relatives in Wooster.  It isn't too far from "civilization" and is actually a charming town.  Lots of Amish in that area.  Maybe this family is going even farther off the grid and joining them.  Heck, what am I thinking?  No social media then......hopefully those skinny children can fill out on some of the fine Amish cheese that is made around there.  I can dream...

I think the problem with them joining the Amish is that the Amish have a good work ethic.  David and JillyBean would be shunned in about 2 seconds.

• LOL 16
  • Love 2

Didn't the Rods get their WV home from an elderly woman--church member or family? They probably paid little or nothing for it, so its sale yielded profit.

David calls his print shop a ministry, likely for tax purposes, but I'm sure he accepts donations for his work. An isolated area is a good place to run a ministry home business with unpaid child workers. 

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
53 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

this is the Realtor description of the house - I have never heard of "Barndominium"

"Do you need a great property for a home business without restrictions? Look no further--1300 sqft two large bedrooms/one bathroom property with a large living room and kitchen combo. Owner has made many upgrades on this Barndominium with tons of room for the hobbyist or work-at-home office and warehouse. Store your boats, classic cars or four-wheelers in the large workshop 1200 sqft bay area with a 12' overhead door. This is a flexible building using "post frame" construction. Enjoy privacy and beautiful views on your 1.51 acre of peace and quiet. Look to the future-- this area is surrounded by newer homes and bucolic farmland. Just minutes to Wooster--take a look and make a lifestyle change."

Thank you. I saw the house. It’s way too small. I definitely see kids sleeping in dining room/RV while not on the road grifting 

Edited by galaxychaser
  • Love 1

If they don't have any problems with shoving all those children into that RV for weeks at a time they're not going to be overly bothered by only having 2 bedrooms. Their children's comfort and well-being is not only last on the list, but it's written in pencil so it can be erased if more important things come up.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

What is known about Wooster? That barn looks to be in the middle of nowhere.

A country-ISH college town. Some Amish country nearby. Old town. Nice little liberal-arts college dating to the 1860s is pretty central to the town; affiliated with the mainline Presbyterian church. Beautiful campus. Totally undergrad institution. Good school of about 2000 students. 

Was a very countrified and rather beautiful area until just a few decades ago. A farmers' market downtown full of horses and buggies. With the college there, the town's also preserved a lot of its beautiful 19th-century houses. 

Along with all the towns/cities around it, it's expanding into more big-box stores and creeping exurbs, of course. And there is industry in the area -- if you had a parent or two who wanted to, you know, hold down a job. 

But still kind of countryish for all that, comparatively.  Rolling countryside. A fair amount of actual farmland still. The nearest actual big city, by far, is Cleveland and it's over 60 miles away. A few medium-sized smaller cities, like Akron, are in the 30 to 40 mile range. 

In no way does Wooster scream, "Jill Rodriguez!" to me. 

They must have found a grifting opportunity nearby. Otherwise, I can't  imagine them going there (or anywhere).  I have a hard time seeing them finding a lot of grifting opportunities in that immediate area, though, should the first one they must be glomming onto fall through. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 6
  • Love 4

The listing that I found is still showing the property as contingent.  It might be a little behind in updating though.  From what I saw of the photos, it reminds me of the area Mr. Six & I grew up in.  Something big had to happen for them to make this move.  It makes no sense, but then again, it's the Rods.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

While I don't know what exactly made Jill and David decide on Wooster,  I do know that Ohio Xtians can get ridiculous.  From the infamous "Hell is Real" billboard outside of Columbus to "Touchdown Jesus" out in Monroe, they are just as crazy as their southern brethren, maybe even more so.  I remember driving between Lisbon and Salem in Columbiana County there was a billboard stating "God has a Judgement Day Coming."  That thing has been standing for at least 40 years, and I'm still waiting for that judgment day.  

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

Is the building off white, with a red roof?

The listing I saw has very tiny living quarters, although one room, with a black and white floor, looks like it could become a squished girls' room dorm. One bathroom, even with the RV seems crazy for that many bodies. They'll be needing to pump out the RV weekly.

This seems to be a strange move for the JRods.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
26 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Upon further investigation, the stove is not included in the sale. Only the microwave and the refrigerator. 

If I'm looking at the correct listing the microwave looks like an old Dairy Mart one.

And the heating apparatus looks like something you'd seen in a barn for animals and it's hanging right over the sink.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Do they even own enough beds for everyone?  I read where Octomom’s kids sleep in sleeping bags.  Maybe that’s what the Rods do.  I’m sure Jana Joanna gaines duggar could tix it up for them on the tacky cheap. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

If I'm looking at the correct listing the microwave looks like an old Dairy Mart one.

And the heating apparatus looks like something you'd seen in a barn for animals and it's hanging right over the sink.

yes the heating seems rather bizarre - an overhead heating thing in the kitchen/living room and electric baseboard heating in one bedroom. no sign of a heat source in the checkered floor room that I could see.

• Love 3

I’m curious about the reactions of the Fundie families to the Plath Family tv show. I wonder if the older Plath kids are seen as patron saints of rebellion and escape to other fundie teens, or held up as examples of wayward sinners by fundie parents. I’m especially curious about the Rodrigues’ reaction considering their daughter is friends with the oldest Plath girl (who is still quite the fundie according to Olivia Plath).

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 4

Does David R. actually get paid for his printing ministry?

And if his business was doing so great that they needed a bigger place (according to Jill), why did they move to another state? Wouldn't they lose their clients? They could always ship the documents, but it would cost more?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

And if his business was doing so great that they needed a bigger place (according to Jill), why did they move to another state? Wouldn't they lose their clients? They could always ship the documents, but it would cost more?

How could his printing ministry be busy when they are always on the road traveling and grifting?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Future Cat Lady said:

We've seen the fruits of his scanty labor, so I'd say "no" to your first question.

I'm also leaning towards the "narrowly escaped CPS in WV" speculation being actuality.  The part where Jill (re?)posted an old anecdote about a CPS visit in which Timmy was still at home as though it were fresh, and waxed indignant at the very idea that anyone would infer she and Shrek neglect their kids, told the tale IMO; and we only have Jill's word for it in the first place that the CPS person was favorably impressed. 

I mean, c'mon, if/since we've seen David R juxtaposed against the kids and have been horrified for months, there's no way the CPS worker didn't ask if he's the primary person in this family getting fed.

• Love 6

Fleeing the state to fall off DCF's radar doesn't work quite as well as it did back in the day. First, most records are kept electronically, so they're easier to pull up rather quickly to be shared with other states. And DCF does snoop on SM. So Jill would have to pick between ministering/grifting or hiding from DCF. She really can't do both.

If the last DCF worker has an open case with real concerns he/she has already contacted the regional office in Ohio. If there's not an open case I'm guessing there soon will be, the minute those children are brought to seek medical attention. And really, clergy are mandated reporters in most states, although I'm thinking many of the fake Fundy preachers don't obey that law.

If they stick around their neighborhood long enough, I wouldn't be surprised if a concerned neighbor called DCF. Most folks aren't used to seeing a dozen or so kids not attending school and being trotted off in an RV regularly and the Rod kids look like waifs. Combine that with the 24 hour news cycle and the never dying story of the Duggar molestations, the story about the other musical J named Fundy family and that horrific story about the large family who were chained to their beds, folks are quicker to report odd families.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I saw the photos too. It's very plain although IIRC there are some shrubs planted in front and some attempt to make it look neat and tidy.

I couldn’t figure out which was the front, or see signs of shrubs or gardens, could I have been looking at a different house?

• Love 1

That "house" looks to be secluded enough that it makes me think of that one place that the Turpins had before they moved to Calofornia. Now, I don't think the Rods are on anywhere near the same level as the Turpins; every place the Turpins ever left seems to have been described as uninhabitably filthy for one thing, but there does seem to be something a bit suspicious about essentially buying a warehouse with a single spare bedroom to house your 13 kids...

• Love 5

How big was the West Virginia property? Was it isolated too? There must have been enough space/privacy to park that ratty RV. The old house certainly looked cozier than the new place. 

I'm wondering why the Rods would think Ohio is better than WV for whatever problems caused them to move. I say problems because I haven't heard anything about opportunities for them in Wooster, Ohio. And Ohio has CPS too. 

Not only does David lose his local printing customers, Jill appeared to be making money from her Plexus scam. I guess they can ship stuff, but that sounds expensive. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Yeah, I feel like CPS would be a little extra interested in a family that they have some history with moving into a place with those drawbacks (Not even enough official bedrooms for girl, boy, and parent groups, no stove and questions about heating). 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I'm curious about the printing business. I thought at one time JillR stated they printed tracts and donated them. Does Mr Rod have actual paying customers?

And other than the Fundy church community who would use them? I'm thinking printing chains would be much cheaper.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm curious about the printing business. I thought at one time JillR stated they printed tracts and donated them. Does Mr Rod have actual paying customers?

And other than the Fundy church community who would use them? I'm thinking printing chains would be much cheaper.

You’re in luck. They have a portable diorama to answer all your questions.

• LOL 1
20 hours ago, crazy8s said:

I'm guessing that's something you do with a still-in-good-shape farm-utility building when the old folks pass on and the family decides it just can't wrangle the thing any longer and shut the farming operation down.  

I can see it being quite a good housing option for, say, boomer retirees who love the country and love that area (which is beautiful).

People who want to make their savings last and like working with their hands, have a boat or two and an RV or a couple off-road vehicles. You have a convenient roomy place to store them and work on them. And you have a manageable no-frills living space that's fine for an unpretentious couple who like to do stuff instead of worrying about fixing up the house. 

You could set up your woodshop and your craft room and have them right there, attached to the living space -- you can enjoy your hobbies or even use those hobbies as a part-time job and work while you're in your pajamas. Lots of natural beauty right outside the door. ....

And a pretty easy jaunt for hauling your boat down not-overtraveled scenic roads to many lakes and reservoirs and such in about a 50-mile radius in all directions from that house. Rural recreational opportunities for boaters and fishermen and people who just like to hang out in their campers in beautiful wooded places abound in that area.

I can think of various people who'd love that. Great option for people in that position, I'd think..... For a family with a dozen young kids, not so much. 

That house really isn't "in" Wooster, so the whole liberal-college-professor thing will be irrelevant to them, I think.

But wow, they are in Amish country. Along the northern edge of it, but definitely in it nevertheless. The very heart of Ohio's Amish country. Towns of Berlin, MIllersburg, Walnut Creek -- the heart of tour-buses-to-Amish-land --  and so on -- just about 10 miles down the road. And Fredericksburg, too, which is only about 5 miles from them. 

Ever read Sherwood Anderson's Winesburg, Ohio? In school maybe? The real thing is also about 10 miles from them.  That's a great book but it's also one of the few books I've ever read that depresses me as much as the Rodrigui do. 

It truly is beautiful farm country there, however. So maybe they think it'll be a good place to nab a farmer for Kaylie? .....I do remember them visiting Ohio several times recently, so they must have found somebody to grift from there.

But I'm pretty sure it's nobody closely connected to the Amish or the Mennonites. Can't imagine the R women's clown makeup will go over very well with that community. 

Mysterious. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 3
  • Love 10

I also wonder about the "business" part of David R's printing biz. The printing industry generally is in a decline because of digitization among other things. I don't know what sort of paying print jobs David has had, but if he's delivering print jobs to customers, changing locations is going to either lose him business or increase his delivery costs to customers near his old location. 

I agree with @Churchhoney, this move is a mystery. 

I also agree with Churchie's thoughts about that property. I looked at the online listing and photos. The living quarters would be fine for one or two people, who had either a business or a serious hobby requiring use of the large indoor non-living spaces. Say, a large collection of motorcycles, a smaller collection of cars, boats, whatever, Or a repair shop of some sort (from boats to lawnmowers to appliances). But what would be comfortable living quarters for a singleton or couple, wouldn't be so nice for the dozen plus Rodriguii. Although it's bigger than the RV, so there's that. IIRC the building comes with maybe an acre and a half of land, so it may have been carved out of a farm years ago. 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, queenanne said:

We've seen the fruits of his scanty labor, so I'd say "no" to your first question.

I'm also leaning towards the "narrowly escaped CPS in WV" speculation being actuality.  The part where Jill (re?)posted an old anecdote about a CPS visit in which Timmy was still at home as though it were fresh, and waxed indignant at the very idea that anyone would infer she and Shrek neglect their kids, told the tale IMO; and we only have Jill's word for it in the first place that the CPS person was favorably impressed. 

I mean, c'mon, if/since we've seen David R juxtaposed against the kids and have been horrified for months, there's no way the CPS worker didn't ask if he's the primary person in this family getting fed.

I just had a conspiratorial thought.

Maybe this is why they moved to Amish country? Hiding out in a place dominated by people who've long been exempt from state compulsory schooling laws?

Plus, this new house has very few neighbors. And it isn't on a through road -- possibly just on what has been until now an unnamed private farm lane -- and may not even be visible from the main road (which itself probably doesn't have a whole heck of a lot of traffic). And....it looks like a farm building, not a house.....There are a handful of nearby houses who can see them.....but aside from those people, others may not even realize they're there.....And I expect the Rodriguez kids have been taught to be pretty quiet. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Totally said:

I couldn’t figure out which was the front, or see signs of shrubs or gardens, could I have been looking at a different house?

I think that until pretty recently that "house" was a farm utility building. My guess is that the farm owners either shut down their whole operation or cut it back a lot, thus limiting their need for all the outbuildings. And since this building was still in good shape and probably relatively new they refurbished it as a living space/workshop-type thing and put it on the market.

It's not on an actual road. It's back a long farm lane. The tract of land it's on was part of a farm operation of some kind, I with the house out by the road and a few utility and storage buildings back two long lanes. 

You can see this and the other outbuildings were set up to have lots of farm-vehicle traffic running between them and the road in front of the house. The lanes look to be paved, but there are unpaved sections right in front of this outbuilding and a second big outbuilding where you can see lots of vehicles have turned around over time. 

Since they were designed to be utility buildings, this building and the others don't look out on the street -- aren't even near the actual road, have very few neighbors, and don't have anybody passing by in cars. They look out on fields and some small plots of woods. So -- no landscaping. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

You’re in luck. They have a portable diorama to answer all your questions.

Doesn't every family have a portable diorama? (which I'm sure someone made for them.)  I'm still laughing.  

Edited by Barb23
  • LOL 11
14 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I just had a conspiratorial thought.

Maybe this is why they moved to Amish country? Hiding out in a place dominated by people who've long been exempt from state compulsory schooling laws?

Not unreasonable, except that I think Ohio's homeschooling requirements may be more rigorous than WV's. I think somebody went into detail upthread. Here's the Ohio state website info: http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Ohio-Education-Options/Home-Schooling

Of course, the HSLDA may have managed to effectively nullify such state homeschooling requirements by raising a stink if any state tried to enforce their laws/rules in a case involving Christian homeschoolers. And that IS a conspiratorial thought, which I truly hope is just speculation.

About the Rods' new "home" building: I think it looks like someone actually lived in those living spaces. They don't look brand-new just-finished, especially the kitchen. 

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Not unreasonable, except that I think Ohio's homeschooling requirements may be more rigorous than WV's. I think somebody went into detail upthread. Here's the Ohio state website info: http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Ohio-Education-Options/Home-Schooling

Of course, the HSLDA may have managed to effectively nullify such state homeschooling requirements by raising a stink if any state tried to enforce their laws/rules in a case involving Christian homeschoolers. And that IS a conspiratorial thought, which I truly hope is just speculation.

About the Rods' new "home" building: I think it looks like someone actually lived in those living spaces. They don't look brand-new just-finished, especially the kitchen. 

Ohio's homeschooling laws are more rigorous than WV's. However, they appear to be pretty laxly enforced. There've been periodic horrifying scandals because of that over the past few decades, but those have kept happening, so it doesn't seem that the enforcement has been really stepped up.

But -- what I was thinking is that since Ohio's schooling laws have never applied to the Amish (and don't now), I wonder whether the Rods may think (or been told) -- probably correctly -- that the enforcement would be even more lax in an Amish area.....After all, the Amish communities have their own schools that they run themselves for younger kids and after 8th grade the kids don't have to be in school at all. Courts have simply exempted them from state school laws for many decades.

Since most people who live in those areas aren't under the jurisdiction of any of the laws anyway, you'd figure the state wouldn't put much enforcement capability in those areas, wouldn't you? And I'm sure the state doesn't put much enforcement in those areas. It'd be a waste of money since the laws probably don't even apply to more than maybe one in 10 families who live there, maybe even fewer. And Amish communities have a deserved reputation for fighting back hard if somebody tries to enforce laws on them that they've been exempted from.... So why would the state even risk approaching people in that area about laws that most of them are exempt from? 

"Amish country" makes up only a very very small part of the pretty big state of Ohio. So my question is -- Why there? 

And now I'm thinking that it might be a pretty decent place to hide, especially for a family where the boys tend to wear long pants and white button-down shirts and even the tiniest girls wear long long skirts in every season........Fewer enforcement folks prowling around than elsewhere. And your kids might blend in with the look of the many kids in the area not subject to the schooling laws....

If neighbors see a bunch of kids running around at your house dressed like the Rods usually are -- Well, in an Amish area, people might just figure you're a slightly odd bunch of Amish.  

If the move was in whole or in part an attempt to run, going exactly where they've gone could seem to be a potentially better hiding place than any other nearby areas. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

I saw the overhead view of the property.  It seems the Rod barn, along with other out buildings, were originally all part of one property.  There is a fine, old farmhouse in front, then down the farm lane to the Rod barn, that must have been parcelled off.

The owners of the farmhouse, which is actually pretty close to the Rod barn, have been reported to be highly educated, professionals.  I'm sure they have no idea how this big, crazy Rod family is going to change their peaceful lives!

• Useful 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Nope. Not just speculation. Standard practice.

On the house -- the farm may have shut down or limited its operations some years ago, and they refurbed the building so Uncle Bill could live there with his boats and his tractor after his unfortunate divorce! 

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, louannems said:

I saw the overhead view of the property.  It seems the Rod barn, along with other out buildings, were originally all part of one property.  There is a fine, old farmhouse in front, then down the farm lane to the Rod barn, that must have been parcelled off.

The owners of the farmhouse, which is actually pretty close to the Rod barn, have been reported to be highly educated, professionals.  I'm sure they have no idea how this big, crazy Rod family is going to change their peaceful lives!

So....a doctor and college professor or the like sharing a property line with Jill? Yikes.

On the other hand, I expect Jill's children are cowed enough not to bother anybody much. And may bother neighbors even less if she's actually trying to run from child protective services.

She'll probably just corral them in the garage all day. And since they're used to "going to school" in 18-inch-by-18-inch squares of space in the RV, they may find the big garage a liberating experience. 

• Love 3