Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I wonder if Nuri will be able to look online at names. If not, her only book is the Bible. First two children will be Adam and Eve. One of the few stories Nuri could probably comprehend.

No way will Nurie use the name Eve because she's the original sinner and you know that Nurie not ever sinned in her life. 

Edited by Rabbittron
Damn autocorrect
  • Love 7
On 12/15/2019 at 5:30 AM, Chicklet said:

Oh come on guys, King James has it covered:

Genesis Keller

Deuteronomy Keller

Proverbs Keller

Oh they already have an Esther Keller so how about Lamentations Keller?

On Mad About You, Paul's uncle Phil's (played by Mel Brooks) real name is Deuteronomy. When Jamie was pregnant Uncle Phil tries to convince them to name their baby after him. They agree at first because he thinks he's dying until Uncle Phil tells them his real name is Deuteronomy which naturally they don't want to do. They spend the rest of the episode trying to figure out how to get out of it. But finally just talked to him. Uncle Phil says it sucked growing up with that name with all the jokes and stuff until his fill which made him think of Phil and changed it to that. He almost gets them to agree again mentioning Rose who is either is mother or grandmother and they almost agree thinking Rose is a nice name until Uncle Phil mentions that's not her real name either. We don't find out what it really was. Jamie and Paul learn never to make that promise again.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:
17 hours ago, sondraK said:

It won't surprise me if they name a son Abraham Keller

One of my fundy cousins named one of her 8 kids Abraham

The fundy world doesn't have a large pool of names, especially for girls. There aren't a lot of women named in the bible and there are only so many virtue names. Most of the boys have the usual mainstream biblical names, with an occasional "iah" name thrown in. Most large fundy families seem to have a Joshua, Samuel, and/or Nathan, along with Anna, Hannah, and/or Susannah. Olivia is also popular for some reason. The Duggars with their "J" them and the Bates with their civil war/cowboy theme have more "worldly" names than most.

• Love 5

I have noticed a lot of fundie families that I know choose Biblical names for boys and then more modern secular names and/or virtue names for girls. So, you have sibling with names like Elijah, Nathan, Brittany, and Joy. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I have noticed a lot of fundie families that I know choose Biblical names for boys and then more modern secular names and/or virtue names for girls. So, you have sibling with names like Elijah, Nathan, Brittany, and Joy. 

The Rodrigues family is a bit eclectic with their names. All of the Kellers I know of have biblical names (I mean Nathan and his siblings). It will be interesting to see which way Nathan and Nurie go with the names. We probably won't have to wait long to find out.

I teach in Christian schools in an area with lots of Anabaptists. Lots of girls are named Rachel, Leah, Anna, Elizabeth, Lydia, Hannah, Esther, Rebekah, and Sarah. Very few named Mary, though. I had one class with 12 students, and 4 were girls named Sarah.

As someone with a "unique" spelling of my own name, I gave all my own children traditional names with normal spellings. I wonder if Nurie could go the same way, especially with Nathan's influence. 

Edited by sleepysuzy
Adding names to the list
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Temperance said:

Meagan Ballinger (Austin Forsyth's sister) is expecting #3 in July 2020. I'm surprised she announced so soon. She has two daughters already. The oldest will be three in March. 

Basically 3 in 3 years. I see a Fundy trend happening here.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, sleepysuzy said:

The Rodrigues family is a bit eclectic with their names. All of the Kellers I know of have biblical names (I mean Nathan and his siblings). It will be interesting to see which way Nathan and Nurie go with the names. We probably won't have to wait long to find out.

I teach in Christian schools in an area with lots of Anabaptists. Lots of girls are named Rachel, Leah, Anna, Elizabeth, Lydia, Hannah, Esther, Rebekah, and Sarah. Very few named Mary, though. I had one class with 12 students, and 4 were girls named Sarah.

As someone with a "unique" spelling of my own name, I gave all my own children traditional names with normal spellings. I wonder if Nurie could go the same way, especially with Nathan's influence. 

Too Catholic.

• Love 5

I hate pictures of people with their tongues out. My daughters and nieces post those on Facebook all the time & they just look like morons. Those poor girls are all giving an "for the love of pete, go away so we can get done" look. Anyone really believe that Jill helped the girls clean that house?

• Love 15
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

4 pictures:

So, does this mean the house in WVa was NOT conducive to their ministry and family?  That seems to be what Jill is saying.  There is surely a story behind their sudden decision to flee to Ohio just as they up and moved from NY state to WVa a few years back after David got in trouble with the leadership of the church they had been attending and they were told not to come back.  I sure wish I knew what CPS really reported about those kids.  I have a feeling there is a really interesting tale here.

Jill looks even dumber than usual with her tongue hanging out.

• Love 21

Looks like old Jill is double-dipping in the MLM scams.  The box on the counter above is from a hair care/skincare line.  Monat is most famous for making people's hair fall out, not to mention, it's $40 a bottle.  For shampoo.  A lot of MLMs have a clause in their contract that it's against company policy to shill for another business.  Monat & Plexus could be considered competing brands since they both offer a skincare line.  I would laugh my ass off if she just "outed" herself to her Plexus upline.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

moved from NY state to WVa a few years back after David got in trouble with the leadership of the church they had been attending and they were told not to come back. 

Oh I hadn't heard this one! What did he get in trouble for?

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

I'm a little confused about Jill saying they had to be out a week after closing. When I bought this summer, the owners had to be moved out before we closed. Is it different there or is Jill just Jilling?

It depends on the closing conditions. It could have been written in to the contract that the Rods could stay X days after closing. Often the previous owner is paying rent to the new owner. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Triple P said:

It depends on the closing conditions. It could have been written in to the contract that the Rods could stay X days after closing. Often the previous owner is paying rent to the new owner. 

Jilly paying rent to the new owners please. Tell me another story. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Oh come on guys, King James has it covered:

Genesis Keller

Deuteronomy Keller

Proverbs Keller

Oh they already have an Esther Keller so how about Lamentations Keller?

I knew a fundie girl named Genesis, although luckily for her she went by Genny. Other names in my church included Eden (as in the garden of Eden in Genesis) and a family with Patience, Hope, Chastity (ick) and Faith.

Did anyone catch Jill's recent post where she was asking people to sign a petition to ask Hallmark not to feature same sex couples in their movies?

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Zella said:

Oh I hadn't heard this one! What did he get in trouble for?

Apparently, David felt that the rules were not strict enough at the church they attended and that the pastor/church elders were wrong not to come down hard on members who were not adhering to the standards DRod felt were needed.  He repeatedly told them, and everyone else, about the error of their ways and that they were going to hell and demanded that the church enforce the rules as he saw them.

He supposedly made a public stink about it at multiple church events and the church leaders and pastor told him he was no longer welcome to attend.  Since he couldn't find a church in New York to meet his requirements, they ended up going to W Va.  I got the impression that their fellow parishioners sided with the church leadership rather than letting David dictate to them and so they ended up pretty isolated in the community.

• Useful 13
8 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Apparently, David felt that the rules were not strict enough at the church they attended and that the pastor/church elders were wrong not to come down hard on members who were not adhering to the standards DRod felt were needed.  He repeatedly told them, and everyone else, about the error of their ways and that they were going to hell and demanded that the church enforce the rules as he saw them.

He supposedly made a public stink about it at multiple church events and the church leaders and pastor told him he was no longer welcome to attend.  Since he couldn't find a church in New York to meet his requirements, they ended up going to W Va.  I got the impression that their fellow parishioners sided with the church leadership rather than letting David dictate to them and so they ended up pretty isolated in the community.

That's quite interesting--thank you!

• Love 1

I find it so weird that they'd post a picture of her in the ER.

If it were myself, and I felt that I had to post such things, I'd have posted it privately.  I'd also wait until I had a more definitive diagnosis.

• Love 13
On 12/16/2019 at 7:45 AM, GeeGolly said:

I wonder if Nuri will be able to look online at names. If not, her only book is the Bible. First two children will be Adam and Eve. One of the few stories Nuri could probably comprehend.

Don't tell me she'll follow that with two boys named Cain and Abel. 

• LOL 5

Joshua Bontrager and his wife Cassidy Bowers Bontrager are expecting their second child in spring 2020. Their oldest is a boy and was born in July 2018. 

Their parents are friends of the Duggars. Joshua and Cassidy have somewhat of an arranged marriage. Neither family was having more children and the parents took to each other.  Older siblings Carson Bontrager (Joshua's brother) and Carolina Bowers (Cassidy's sister) are also married. Carson and Carolina have a daughter born the day before Joshua's son. 

The Bontragers have two more grandsons. One from oldest child Chelsy Bontrager Maxwell, and one from oldest son Mitchell Bontrager. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

Looks like Alyssa is still having health problems. I hope she is ok.

Yep.  She's so short of breath that it was all she could do to slap on a full face of makeup, style her hair and put on a cute outfit so she could pose for a flirty pic on the exam table.

Is this the same Bates' sister who took the opportunity to show off her pedicure while her baby was hospitalized and then posed holding the baby in Madonna-like fashion complete with false eyelashes?

The Bates' girls really take the cake when it comes to vanity.  Very impressed with themselves and needing attention.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 22
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Yep.  She's so short of breath that it was all she could do to slap on a full face of makeup, style her hair and put on a cute outfit so she could pose for a flirty pic on the exam table.

Is this the same Bates' sister who took the opportunity to show off her pedicure while her baby was hospitalized and then posed holding the baby in Madonna-like fashion complete with false eyelashes?

The Bates' girls really take the cake when it comes to vanity.  Very impressed with themselves and needing attention.

Perfect description. That was the special princess Erin.

• Love 7

She's also the one who is gifted, almost weekly, new matching outfits for her and her girls and she just has to post very poised pictures of them on Social Media. 

If Jeremy & Jinger have all girls, this is what Jeremy will do.

• Love 11

It wouldn't surprise me if it was really Jill who didn't like the church rules,and was trying to dictate thru David about them.We all know she's the one really wearing the pants in the family,so to speak.She prob. thought the women were dressed sluttish in normal attire,and that they should have preached against birth control and public schooling,etc. So their own fault they got kicked out.

I recall they also tried to sing at a friend's funeral there awhile back,without informing anyone first,and were immediately prevented from doing so.In fact,one of the women there chewed Jill out for it.They were already setting up,so they had to pack up and leave.Then of course,Jill whined about how they were SO unfair to them,as usual.She never takes any personal responsibility at all

• Love 7