Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Alyssa Bates and her husband are on a cruise.  Guess we will be getting an announcement about pregnancy #4 in a couple of months...🙄

Is her heart condition fixed ?

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, lianau said:

Is her heart condition fixed ?

She never gave a follow up after her last surgery. She had to wait a while to see if the procedure took. No updates as to whether she's in the clear or not.

• Love 3

I seem to remember an Instagram post (or story) where Alyssa said the second procedure seemed to have worked, but the doctor was being careful before pronouncing her cured given that it was one of the worst cases he had seen.  I guess time will tell.  Hopefully they will hold off on another baby, but if time alone on a cruise isn't a recipe for pregnancy I don't know what is.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Useful 6
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I seem to remember an Instagram post (or story) where Alyssa said the second procedure seemed to have worked, but the doctor was being careful before pronouncing her cured given that it was one of the worst cases he had seen.  I guess time will tell.  Hopefully they will hold off on another baby, but if time alone on a cruise isn't a recipe for pregnancy I don't know what is.

That was what I meant about giving an update. She is waiting for her doctor to clear her, and IIRC, she said it could be six months. She's about 3-4 months out now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

I guess we can pray that it's an infertile time period for Alyssa while they're on the cruise.

Yeah, but since their prayers will no doubt skew the other way, we will have to either wait for God's will or Nature to provide the answer.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Yeah, but since their prayers will no doubt skew the other way, we will have to either wait for God's will or Nature to provide the answer.

I know they've had three in pretty rapid succession, but Alyssa has always seemed to bemoan the idea of following in her parents' footsteps. Since she wears pants, who knows, they may start using birth control. It certainly seems likely that Jinger and Jeremy are.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 12/12/2019 at 10:47 PM, MaryAnneSpier said:

I can't really add too much that hasn't already been said about Jill's Biblical Beatdown post. I will ashamedly admit though that as a child and teenager, I was raised with this mindset. I was a judgemental asshole who really feared that none of my classmates nor friends would go to heaven. Every time I sinned, or even thought about sinning, I was fearful of the Rapture occurring before I would get a chance to repent. I truly thought that my quoting scripture and mentioning Christianity and church and inviting people to go would help bring them to salvation and eventually heaven. It's sort of equivalent, in these people's minds, to seeing an impending car collision, and you're doing what you can to save lives. You're one of the few who knows and understands God's word and his commands, and since you live such a highly ethical lifestyle, you're one of the special few whose job it is is to lead people to the Lord (kind of like "white man's burden" but in a religious sense).  Fortunately, my parents did not homeschool me, and I went to public school from Jr. High until High School graduation and then went away to college in another state. It was during my college years that I began to see that the world is not black-and-white, but many shades of grey and that questioning Christianity or organized religion of any sort does not make one doomed to hellfire. 

On another note, when Jill very snidely comments on women not working, while she sells Plexus to earn money, it reminds me of a couple of Christian sisters who call themselves Girl Defined. They have a youtube channel with lots of subscribers, have written at least one book, go on speaking engagements and such, all while saying that women aren't to be working. The mental gymnastics these people do to try to justify their hypocrisy is astounding. If you're up for some punishment check out some of their videos. I don't know their full background, but they seem like the type who were either homeschooled or only attended Christian schools and never got out of their little Christian bubble to understand the complexities of real life, and yet are smug and condescending about giving advice to the everyday woman. 

First of all, I love your username! So your parents allowed you to read Babysitters Club books? Mine did, reluctantly, although they were much happier when I read Christian books. I had a very similar upbringing to yours, although in my case, I went to public school through 6th grade and was then homeschooled, which devastated me. I understand perfectly, as only former fundies can, our former mindset that "witnessing" to non-Christians was because we truly feared they would suffer eternal torture in hell.

Yes, justifying home businesses but vilifying other work outside the home is just bizarre. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, becca3891 said:

Yes, justifying home businesses but vilifying other work outside the home is just bizarre. 

Some of these at-home businesses are more time consuming than working outside the home. My cousin sells Scentsy and she is CONSTANTLY working. Whether it’s parties or posting on social media or placing orders, it takes a LOT to keep her little business going. It amazes me how, for as hard as Jill is working her Plexus crap, she doesn’t see that as work. Maybe because she is “working” from home (or the stink bus) and not going in to an office every day?  Same skewed logic may apply to her love of her female realtor. No set hours every day and she can show houses around her other duties at home?  Still a TON of work and a CAREER.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
9 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

Some of these at-home businesses are more time consuming than working outside the home. My cousin sells Scentsy and she is CONSTANTLY working. Whether it’s parties or posting on social media or placing orders, it takes a LOT to keep her little business going. It amazes me how, for as hard as Jill is working her Plexus crap, she doesn’t see that as work. Maybe because she is “working” from home (or the stink bus) and not going in to an office every day?  Same skewed logic may apply to her love of her female realtor. No set hours every day and she can show houses around her other duties at home?  Still a TON of work and a CAREER.  

Maybe because these women we are snarking about are the religious types who think they are helping out, not working and really think it is their own business.  I watched a video on Youtube from a young Mennonite woman and watched her sew a dress and explain a few differences with Amish.  Another video had her talking about ways to make money to help the family without actually "working" and on her list was MLM.  I watched a minute while she said "before you criticize, let me tell you... blah blah" and then I turned it off.

• Love 3
On 12/6/2019 at 9:53 PM, farmgal4 said:

Jillian, but N & N won’t know the correct pronunciation so the baby will be called Jill-e-an.

Jillian was my first thought, too....

But watch it be Jillanna or Jillianna after Jill and Nathan’s sister Anna DUGGAR (at Jill’s insistence). 

• Love 4
On 12/12/2019 at 2:44 PM, the-grey-lady said:

As opposed to her moderately quadriplegic sister.

Well, yes, and that is because she SEVERELY broke her neck in the auto accident; unlike all those minor, trivial neck fractures suffered by other folks. 

• LOL 16
2 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Yep, I called it already. Nathaniel, Natalie, Nebuchadnezzar, Nitwit, the possibilities are virtually endless. 

I would laugh so hard if they named their kid Nebuchadnezzar. I had an acquaintance from school who, in all seriousness, wanted to name her baby Methuselah. Her husband, thankfully, talked her out of it. . . .

• LOL 7
16 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Mr. Xword's mom had a siamese cat named Nebuchadnezzar.  Fortunately, they called him Neb.  

This will be one snark worthy wedding, eh?

Taking my response to Small Talk. 🙂

• Love 1

As an extreme introvert, I'm not a huge fan of attending weddings.  However, this is one I can't wait for.  It will go down as one of the biggest shit-shows of 2020.  I'm there for it.

One of Mr. Six's best friends in elementary school has a brother named Nimrod.  Maybe N&N will go with "D" names (Jill will angle for the Duggar connection), and for the first girl they can pick Dorcas.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, sixlets said:

As an extreme introvert, I'm not a huge fan of attending weddings.  However, this is one I can't wait for.  It will go down as one of the biggest shit-shows of 2020.  I'm there for it.

One of Mr. Six's best friends in elementary school has a brother named Nimrod.  Maybe N&N will go with "D" names (Jill will angle for the Duggar connection), and for the first girl they can pick Dorcas.

God. It's a good thing no Rod-Keller child will ever go to public school. 

• LOL 3

Ok,I'm calling it.Nurie and Nathan's first son will be named Duggar James Keller!

After Jim Bob. JIll will insist on it.LOL

Duggar will be the first name,so as to get more attention that way

Edited by sondraK
  • LOL 3
9 hours ago, Heathen said:

Yep, I called it already. Nathaniel, Natalie, Nebuchadnezzar, Nitwit, the possibilities are virtually endless. 

I think the names will be Jillthaniel , Jilltalie , Jillbuchadnezzar and Jilltwit . 

• LOL 8
15 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

Sailor Bates Webster (probably spelled “Saylor,” though).

In case people don't know. Sailor/Saylor is a name. I just had someone tell me that met a little Sailor/Saylor (sp?). In Alyssa Bates Webster's case, her girls all have name ending in an ee sound: Allie, Lexi, and Zoey. 

1 hour ago, Temperance said:

In case people don't know. Sailor/Saylor is a name. I just had someone tell me that met a little Sailor/Saylor (sp?). In Alyssa Bates Webster's case, her girls all have name ending in an ee sound: Allie, Lexi, and Zoey. 

I believe Christie Brinkley has a kid named Saylor.

Any word is a name these days. K & K Kardashian named their last kid Psalm. 

If the Websters have a boy, they can name him Cruise.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Chicklet said:

Oh come on guys, King James has it covered:

Genesis Keller

Deuteronomy Keller

Proverbs Keller

Oh they already have an Esther Keller so how about Lamentations Keller?

Can you imagine the poor kid named Numbers Keller?

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Temperance said:

Just because someone has called  their child something ridiculous, doesn’t necessarily make it a “name” in my book, lol.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Temperance said:

Sailor (or Selah? Something like tha at least) was Jill/Derick's girl pick for Izzy!

• LOL 2