Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

That last picture, with Nurie sitting next to Tim.  Does she look to you like she's looking at the camera and thinking "I'll smile for one last picture, but if you try to take another I'm going to make you eat that blessed phone."

Tim seems to be happy to have his picture taken, and he looks more filled-out and healthier than he did while living at home.  I hear he's living with a local family in Wisconsin, so he's probably able to eat much better than he used to.  I think that he's better off physically now, but I still think he's having a tough time living so far away.  Returning to the nest agrees with him.  It must be nice to come back and soak up all the attention, because he's probably not treated like a conquering hero in his daily life.

The FJ poster who has a friend that saw the Rods at a pizza parlor in Ohio has updated:

Spoiler

"After finally speaking by phone with my person who saw them at the Wooster Donato's Pizza, a few more tidbits:

She had only seen a few pictures of them when I randomly mentioned them to her a few months ago. Never saw David from the front (on Sat) and said she thought his size would have eliminated any doubt about it being them, but was thrown about Jill not looking as OTT as she had seen in pictures (so the minimal make-up / hair / dressed down seems to be much more consistent lately), but she was convinced b/c of Nurie.

She said Nurie's eyes really struck her. She couldn't quite come up with the word she wanted, landed on 'pleading' almost. She wasn't sure if Nurie thought she recognized her (my person) from somewhere or something (though my person definitely had never seen them before) or if Nurie was almost trying to strike up conversation or something, but that Nurie kept looking at her.

She said all the girls were prettier in person than she expected from the pictures. Now having seen the pictures from Donato's that Jill posted, I'm guessing b/c the ones I'd shown her were ones they were wearing more make-up, had hair that was overall more fussy, etc. I'm not sure which, but she said one of the other older girls (not Nurie) was taking care of the littlest girls and eventually went to go get a high chair after they seemed to realize just standing around blocking the line wasn't maybe the best choice.

She didn't feel particularly struck by their voices, so I'm guessing either their overly performative/affected speech really is more for video (as has been guessed based on not always hearing it when hearing them in the background of videos) or else it's just not as evident in person.

I just still can't get over that after following the Rod crazy for YEARS, for the first time I randomly mentioned them to someone IRL back in October, shortly after they end up near where that person lives (but I never bothered to tell her b/c I really didn't think she'd care/remember our conversation b/c it was just silliness in the midst of other stuff during our visit), and then weeks later she literally runs into them when she was picking up dinner!

When I sent her the pictures today and said to remove the little smidge of doubt she still had given Jill's appearance, as it obviously really was them, she remarked about how weird it all was and that she couldn't get over having seen them. I told her maybe God didn't want her to be bored in the snowy Ohio winter in their relatively uninteresting area and so he brought some of the special form of Rod crazy to her.  I'm not sure she was amused by my quip! I'm also not sure she'll ever let me mention random crazy people to her again either!

She did, however, promise to report back if she sees them again, especially now that she knows they really are going to be around her area, and that next time she'll pay even more attention. Oh, and she was shocked when I told her Nurie was getting married."

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

5 pictures:

That last pic of Nurie 😱 Her face looks progressively thinner in each picture, and she easily looks 40-years-old.  I hope Nathan encourages her to eat once they get married, IF she doesn’t starve to death before then.

• Love 1

I think Nourie will name her first daughter whatever Jill tells her to suggests. My guess is something like Annjill, pronounced Angel to honor her beautiful, angelic mama. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Zahdii said:

That last picture, with Nurie sitting next to Tim.  Does she look to you like she's looking at the camera and thinking "I'll smile for one last picture, but if you try to take another I'm going to make you eat that blessed phone."

Tim seems to be happy to have his picture taken, and he looks more filled-out and healthier than he did while living at home.  I hear he's living with a local family in Wisconsin, so he's probably able to eat much better than he used to.  I think that he's better off physically now, but I still think he's having a tough time living so far away.  Returning to the nest agrees with him.  It must be nice to come back and soak up all the attention, because he's probably not treated like a conquering hero in his daily life.

The FJ poster who has a friend that saw the Rods at a pizza parlor in Ohio has updated:

Reveal spoiler

"After finally speaking by phone with my person who saw them at the Wooster Donato's Pizza, a few more tidbits:

She had only seen a few pictures of them when I randomly mentioned them to her a few months ago. Never saw David from the front (on Sat) and said she thought his size would have eliminated any doubt about it being them, but was thrown about Jill not looking as OTT as she had seen in pictures (so the minimal make-up / hair / dressed down seems to be much more consistent lately), but she was convinced b/c of Nurie.

She said Nurie's eyes really struck her. She couldn't quite come up with the word she wanted, landed on 'pleading' almost. She wasn't sure if Nurie thought she recognized her (my person) from somewhere or something (though my person definitely had never seen them before) or if Nurie was almost trying to strike up conversation or something, but that Nurie kept looking at her.

She said all the girls were prettier in person than she expected from the pictures. Now having seen the pictures from Donato's that Jill posted, I'm guessing b/c the ones I'd shown her were ones they were wearing more make-up, had hair that was overall more fussy, etc. I'm not sure which, but she said one of the other older girls (not Nurie) was taking care of the littlest girls and eventually went to go get a high chair after they seemed to realize just standing around blocking the line wasn't maybe the best choice.

She didn't feel particularly struck by their voices, so I'm guessing either their overly performative/affected speech really is more for video (as has been guessed based on not always hearing it when hearing them in the background of videos) or else it's just not as evident in person.

I just still can't get over that after following the Rod crazy for YEARS, for the first time I randomly mentioned them to someone IRL back in October, shortly after they end up near where that person lives (but I never bothered to tell her b/c I really didn't think she'd care/remember our conversation b/c it was just silliness in the midst of other stuff during our visit), and then weeks later she literally runs into them when she was picking up dinner!

When I sent her the pictures today and said to remove the little smidge of doubt she still had given Jill's appearance, as it obviously really was them, she remarked about how weird it all was and that she couldn't get over having seen them. I told her maybe God didn't want her to be bored in the snowy Ohio winter in their relatively uninteresting area and so he brought some of the special form of Rod crazy to her.  I'm not sure she was amused by my quip! I'm also not sure she'll ever let me mention random crazy people to her again either!

She did, however, promise to report back if she sees them again, especially now that she knows they really are going to be around her area, and that next time she'll pay even more attention. Oh, and she was shocked when I told her Nurie was getting married."

As for the spoiler, I'm not surprised the sightseer didn't note extreme makeup on the part of the girls, because I've never seen Nurie with that little makeup.  The last picture doesn't even show foundation or coverup; just minimal eyeliner and some mascara.  

17 hours ago, Lukeysboat said:

Immersion baptism isn’t done for forgiveness of sins. Baptism is an act of faith and obedience to the commands of Christ. It’s a public confession of your faith in Christ and desire to follow Him. It also is symbolic of the resurrection. When a person is baptized it’s indicating death to an old life and embracing a new life in Jesus. 

It's denomination dependent as to what it means.  

What is stated is likely true of the Rodrigues beliefs, however, it is not true for all denominations. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Zahdii said:

Hide contents

Oh, frick!  They're moving to Wooster?  That's only about an hour from me.  Way too close for comfort. I was hoping they were going to stay in Southern Ohio near the WVA border.

Do we know which day in July is the big day for Nurie?  I might need to cruise down to Wooster on an errand or something.  Both my niece (who I delivered) and my cousin's daughter (also delivered by moi) are getting married in July, though, so, with any luck, I won't be available.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Oh, frick!  They're moving to Wooster?  That's only about an hour from me.  Way too close for comfort. I was hoping they were going to stay in Southern Ohio near the WVA border.

Do we know which day in July is the big day for Nurie?  I might need to cruise down to Wooster on an errand or something.  Both my niece (who I delivered) and my cousin's daughter (also delivered by moi) are getting married in July, though, so, with any luck, I won't be available.

I'm surprised they're going to Wooster. (or northern Ohio at all, really) Wonder what drew them? I can only assume somebody offered a free house.

It's got, shock, post-secondary institutions -- The College of Wooster is affiliated with the -- horrors -- mainline Presbyterian church, and a lot of Ohio State's Ag stuff happens in Wooster, too. They may be exposed to heathen young people on the street! 

If they weren't who they are, I'd note that there are a fair number of largish companies with installations in the Wooster area, so David -- father of a ton of kids -- might be able to land a job without too much trouble. But I jest. 

... or maybe they figure Kaylie (spelling?) can meet her farmer at the Ag research station. Won't work either, though, since that'd be a farmer who believes in science...

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 3
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Absolom said:

It’s denomination dependent as to what it means.  

What is stated is likely true of the Rodrigues beliefs, however, it is not true for all denominations.

I think the majority of Christian faiths that do immersion baptism have that belief.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I'm surprised they're going to Wooster. (or northern Ohio at all, really) Wonder what drew them? I can only assume somebody offered a free house.

It's got, shock, post-secondary institutions -- The College of Wooster is affiliated with the -- horrors -- mainline Presbyterian church, and a lot of Ohio State's Ag stuff happens in Wooster, too. They may be exposed to heathen young people on the street! 

If they weren't who they are, I'd note that there are a fair number of largish companies with installations in the Wooster area, so David -- father of a ton of kids -- might be able to land a job without too much trouble. But I jest. 

... or maybe they figure Kaylie (spelling?) can meet her farmer at the Ag research station. Won't work either, though, since that'd be a farmer who believes in science...

Yes,science and agriculture..can't have that!

• LOL 4

In my SBC church immersion is indeed the shedding of the old life, and being born anew with the faith that Jesus sacrificed himself so that our sins can be washed away and we can go to heaven.  I was baptised at 7, along with other children who were ready for it at about that time.  It's not about being forgiven for sins, it's about change in world view, and a life of belief and ... I don't think obedience is right, but knowing that Jesus has your back, basically.  Confession is not involved.  That's between you and god.

Poor Sadie looked terrified though.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Lukeysboat said:

I think the majority of Christian faiths that do immersion baptism have that belief.

I'd say it's possible the majority of denominations that only permit baptism by immersion have that belief.  Many others, including Catholics, Methodists, etc, permit baptism by immersion but don't mandate it.  Interestingly enough, LDS and Eastern Orthodox baptize by immersion only and their beliefs are distinctly different.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

The make-up keeps getting lighter and lighter.  It may seem like their small changes, but it's been changing since I first saw them a few years ago.  In that last picture, Nurie seems to be wearing as little make-up as I've ever seen her wear. There's still eyeliner and whatnot. She looks good anyway. 

• Love 2

@Zahdii, I don't suppose your friend noticed how many pizzas were ordered and if the kids got to have more than one piece each? I would really like to know how much those poor children are allowed to eat.

In the pizza pictures Nurie looks like a middle aged woman who has had a hard life. I really hope marriage does her as much good physically as going away to college has done for Timothy. I'd believe the kids were naturally thin if he hadn't filled out so much after moving out.

• Love 11
23 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

the

Sorry, couldn’t get rid of the quote box 😞. Nurie did not even have an empty plate in front of her.

@Zahdii, I’m also curious about how many pizzas they bought for so many people. 

• Love 4

I don’t know the names of all the little ones, but the little girl against the wall in the 4th picture is beautiful.  I’ve never seen her with the horrible 80’s hair and bangs that all the other girls have.  Jill’s favorite after Nurie, or ignored by Jill?

Edited by Tigregirl
Typo
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, queenanne said:

As for the spoiler, I'm not surprised the sightseer didn't note extreme makeup on the part of the girls, because I've never seen Nurie with that little makeup.  The last picture doesn't even show foundation or coverup; just minimal eyeliner and some mascara.  

5 hours ago, Temperance said:

The make-up keeps getting lighter and lighter.  It may seem like their small changes, but it's been changing since I first saw them a few years ago.  In that last picture, Nurie seems to be wearing as little make-up as I've ever seen her wear. There's still eyeliner and whatnot. She looks good anyway. 

It makes you wonder if a "sister in the Lord" such as Suzette Keller took Jill aside and told her how the majority of people view makeup that garish and over-the-top. It does seem that something is changing and while it's disappointing in terms of snark opportunities, I'm glad for the girls!

• Useful 4
  • Love 10

@Nysha and @SMama

It wasn't my friend who saw the Rod family, it was the friend of a poster on FJ.

As for the woman who saw the Rods at a pizza parlor, I don't think she heard what they ordered or was still around by the time they were served.  She was just there to pick up a takeout order.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Tigregirl said:

I don’t know the names of all the little ones, but the little girls against the wall in the 4th picture is beautiful.  I’ve never seen her with the horrible 80’s hair and bangs that all the other girls have.  Jill’s favorite after Nurie, or ignored by Jill?

That's Hannah. In following along on FreeJinger when the Rod threads used to be public, I believe she's the one Jill points out as her "dark" child? (As in her coloring, not her soul... hopefully...) I've long considered her the prettiest Rodling.

• Useful 3
15 hours ago, Absolom said:

I'd say it's possible the majority of denominations that only permit baptism by immersion have that belief.  Many others, including Catholics, Methodists, etc, permit baptism by immersion but don't mandate it.  Interestingly enough, LDS and Eastern Orthodox baptize by immersion only and their beliefs are distinctly different.

I’ll never forget my cousin’s granddaughter being baptized in the Greek Orthodox Church. As they held her over the fount, you could hear her yell, “No bath! No bath!” 
(She was a toddler at the time. )

Edited by SongbirdHollow
  • LOL 23
On 12/6/2019 at 10:57 AM, SMama said:

She is?

I would say she is, yes. Not that I care, because I hate all she stands for, but underneath the 80s makeup, she is quite attractive with great teeth.

On 12/6/2019 at 11:10 AM, queenanne said:

I myself was thinking how much some of the dark Rodlets look like Aunt Not-Amy.

Timothy in particular has the same kind of sunken eyes as Amy.

On 12/5/2019 at 10:15 PM, PikaScrewChu said:

Pris is only two years older than Anna. The largest gap Pris and Pecan have had was between Davia and Phillip I believe. They seem to be making up for lost time now. 

Which reminds me, gotta go check up on the Shraders. 

Right, but Pris got married at 25 and Anna got married at 20. That's five precious childbearing years that Pris lost, so Anna may still win or they may end up tied. If they both stay fertile through their early 40s, I'm guessing they end up with 12 each. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Some pizza places will throw in a 2 liter drink as part of a deal.So they may have gotten a deal.I hope Nurie ate and wasn't expected to fast.She had no plate.

What pizza place was it? Usually they will have an online menu

Edited by sondraK
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I read the FJ post last night, but I can't recall the name of the place. Maybe an Ohioan knows?

Somebody said it was Donato's.  Huge national chain owned by McDonald's.  They sell 2 liter bottles of pop, too.

• Useful 2

https://www.donatos.com/offers

looks like they have some deals w soda.

I'm guessing David eats a whole pizza,Jill has 1/2 of another,and the kids split the other 1/2.

Did anyone see the Jeub family get 1 pizza for 14 kids and 2 parents,many years ago? The kids were gnawing on the crust like it was the only meal they'd had all week

Edited by sondraK

Just to chime in late on the Baptism thing, it is about being ready to acknowledge Jesus as your savior and commit your life to Christ. I personally do not believe that a 6 year old is able to make that choice. My son is 5 and I would not allow him to be baptized, he has no true concept of what that means. He can tell you he loves Jesus and believes in God, but would not be able to articulate without prompting, what it means to commit his life to Christ.

I was born a catholic and was christened and baptized as a child, my son was dedicated as an infant (Baptist version of christening). When I was 10 I went up as a candidate for Baptism because I KNEW what it meant to make that choice. My church at the time required anyone wanting to be baptized to complete a series of classes to make sure that they were ready for the sacrament. It is not something that should be undertaken lightly and the fact that these people who hold themselves up as model Christians are willing to allow little children to essentially make a mockery of the rite is telling.   

Edited by Tasya
  • Useful 2
  • Love 18
14 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Sorry, we don't have them around here! 😟

And I live outside of Chicago. I wouldn't think of going to a big chain like Pizza Hut. We have 5 pizza places within 5 miles of our house! Though I know in some areas chains are all there is. You make do with what you have. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I read the FJ post last night, but I can't recall the name of the place. Maybe an Ohioan knows?

This Donato's notes that it's a college-kid hangout.

Maybe it'll give some kid ideas! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

This Donato's notes that it's a college-kid hangout.

Maybe it'll give some kid ideas! 

Wooster is a small town/city with about 25,000 residents.  Wooster College has a couple thousand students and the OSU branch there has maybe a thousand; so there is a fairly significant percentage of the population of the town attending those institutions and plenty more who are employed there. 

Of course, there are several educational institutions in and around Charleston, WVa where they live currently and it hasn't led any of the Rodriguii to pursue higher education except Timmy, who we suspect is struggling at his second college in as many years.  Wonder if he is perhaps going to transfer to the College of Wooster.  OSU's branch is virtually all agricultural studies so he isn't likely to want to go there.  Also, Ohio State has a pretty decent academic reputation and they do not admit all comers, I don't know that Timmy with his degree from JRod High, would qualify for acceptance.  They accept just a little over half of all applicants which is fairly selective for a state school.

OSU might consider him, but NOT if he flunked out of wherever he's going now.  He could just sort of leave the colleges (both his current CC and "Fly for Jesus" College, neither of which's names I can remember) out of his application, but if anyone googles him he's toast.

The College of Wooster might also take a chance on him, but I don't think he'd be interested; it's a research-oriented school, and I don't think they'd waste any time of him if he was failing.

Edited by Fosca
  • Love 1