Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

The slide in the 4th& 5th pictures looks neat.

I'm shocked they are allowed to put their arms behind each other & hug each other's waist but I forgot they ARE engaged now so a new set of rules to follow.  That courting explanation is something else again even reading it a second time.

Back to the video.  I only made it as far as Tim starting his question. (I may finish it when I wake up  in middle of night in pain & need something to take my mind off it while pain med is kicking in.)  I usually don't like to snark on kids but were the Rod kids dropped on their heads as infants?  They sure sound & act that way but I guess when they mainly learned things from Jill that explains it. 

I can't  believe the  Rod parents think they are giving each child the attention they need by rotating through them so each one is the favorite for a week. That works out to roughly four times/weeks a year.  (Well unless it's their birthday, then the child gets bumped to their birthday week.)  They are given a special treat during their week.  So if the family happens to be at a nice place like Disney World during their week, the attention child gets a pretty good treat. They showed a large stuffed bear one of the girls was lucky enough to get at Disney World during her week. I guess that means if it's just a regular week & they aren't somewhere special or if it's one of the younger kids who doesn't understand the cost of things. then that kid ends up with a super ball or cheap key chain from the gumball machine at the Dollar Store for their treat.  The worst part is Jill (& Zippy the Chimp) think this is a great system. Jill made sure to mention that the other kids still get their parent's attention even if it's not their week.  I wish God would tell the Rods that maybe they shouldn't have had that many kids if they can only give roughly a month's attention to each of them during a year. How sad. 

• Love 12
37 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Only if she feeds shrek twinkies during the sex act.

At the risk of taking everyone's mind where it doesn't want to go, I could see where that gets him off, but I doubt it gets him to do anything for her. 😂

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 15

That photo of Jilly Rod with flat hair reminds me of Chloe, Dr. Susan Lewis's ne'er-do-well sister on ER. 

I'll just be blunt since it's 3 AM and I'm cranky (wild-ass foster kittens won't let me sleep). Nathan is fugly and Nuri is just funny-looking. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 11

PSA: Don't take picture on a railroad track. It endangers you and the people on the train. It is also a big hassle for the people, who run the train and the tracks. You can tell that's not abandoned railroad line, because it's in too good shape to be abandoned. (I got this information from someone who works around trains.)

I'm happy Nurie found a nice young man to marry. Every person has someone who goes with them. They go together well. 

Edited by Temperance
typing error
  • Love 14
16 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I usually don't like to snark on kids but were the Rod kids dropped on their heads as infants?  They sure sound & act that way but I guess when they mainly learned things from Jill that explains it. 

I sounded a bit like that as a kid. And I wasn't dropped on my head! Mostly I didn't talk at all. And I don't sound anything like that now, and I talk constantly.

Infantilizing people and forcing them into a position where they don't really dare say anything spontaneous or unrehearsed is a favorite weapon of many tyrants and can produce a sound like that.

You're just crippled in your ability to utter anything of your own mind and in your own voice, I think. I'd occasionally get really angry -- angrier than I was every minute of most days, that is -- and bust out with something loud and unprescribed. But that carried dangerous consequences so most of the time I did the Rodrigui thing and tried to stay under the radar.

After I fled at 18, I became virtually mute for a few years. Didn't -- couldn't -- say much of anything unless I had to. I kept learning, and working my ass off, though, just silently. And eventually I started to be able to talk.

Strangely, and very much to my own surprise, when I was about 23 I suddenly became a person who talked pretty normally and was able to talk freely in situations where a lot of people are tongue-tied, like in college classes. I'd finally started becoming me. Before that, I'd been trained into being a puppet, and puppets talk funny. 

That's what I see going on with the Rodrigui, anyway. I can't watch them without crying, actually. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

After listening to those awful videos on homeschooling, they came across more like a praise my mama video rather than the academic benefits of homeschool curriculum. The second video was even more sad. I believe none of those children were born with any delays. They are clearly delayed; especially Timothy. It comes from environment in their case. Those parents are clearly morons. They have hurt their children far more than they have helped them. I was stunned that the children speak in ONE LONG SENTENCE...'and..umm' is used way too much. They don't seem to have any speaking skills whatsoever and have no real command of the English language despite being born in the country. I wonder how will Nathan and Nurie survive as a married couple in their own household even if it's another trailer on the Kellar's property in Interlachen, FL?

• Love 13
5 hours ago, Temperance said:

PSA: Don't take picture on a railroad track. It endangers you and the people on the train. It is also a big hassle for the people, who run the train and the tracks. You can tell that's not abandoned railroad line, because it's in too good shape to be abandoned. (I got this information from someone who works around trains.)

Technically, they're also trespassing. Train tracks are not public rights of way like roads. They're private property.

• Useful 5
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

Technically, they're also trespassing. Train tracks are not public rights of way like roads. They're private property.

And, there's the fact that those particular tracks are not very scenic; they could've posed in an empty parking lot or bus station and completed the 'ugly transportation infrastructure' album.

• LOL 20
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

I sounded a bit like that as a kid. And I wasn't dropped on my head! Mostly I didn't talk at all. And I don't sound anything like that now, and I talk constantly.

Infantilizing people and forcing them into a position where they don't really dare say anything spontaneous or unrehearsed is a favorite weapon of many tyrants and can produce a sound like that.

You're just crippled in your ability to utter anything of your own mind and in your own voice, I think. I'd occasionally get really angry -- angrier than I was every minute of most days, that is -- and bust out with something loud and unprescribed. But that carried dangerous consequences so most of the time I did the Rodrigui thing and tried to stay under the radar.

After I fled at 18, I became virtually mute for a few years. Didn't -- couldn't -- say much of anything unless I had to. I kept learning, and working my ass off, though, just silently. And eventually I started to be able to talk.

Strangely, when I was about 23, and very much to my own surprise, I suddenly became a person who talked pretty normally and was able to talk freely in situations where a lot of people are tongue-tied, like in college classes. I'd finally started becoming me. Before that, I'd been trained into being a puppet, and puppets talk funny. 

That's what I see going on with the Rodrigui, anyway. I can't watch them without crying, actually. 

Have you ever told the story of your life online?  I know that you were raised by fundamentalists, and you were able to escape, but is there somewhere where your story is told more fully in a chronological order?  I'd like to read it and I think many others would too.

• Love 12
57 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

Have you ever told the story of your life online?  I know that you were raised by fundamentalists, and you were able to escape, but is there somewhere where your story is told more fully in a chronological order?  I'd like to read it and I think many others would too.

Nope, haven't ever done that.... and won't! .... Not keen to reveal my identity by describing details and putting too much stuff all in one place! 

Actually I wasn't raised by fundamentalists, though. That's pretty much the reason I'm obsessed with these fundamentalists., actually.

I was raised by some people who may either have been malevolent or had major personality disorders or both (I suspect both).

But the similarities between their behavior and its consequences and those of many famous fundies are so striking that it seems important to me to keep saying that, based on my experience, what these people do doesn't come from religion but from sick psychologies and/or malevolent personalities. That, to my mind, the first generations in these cults are less often twisted by the cults than they're simply attracted to a cult created by twisted people because they have the same twists! 

My family was only religious in that mid-century way of many many American families. And in fact our church affiliation was one of the most liberal Protestant denominations! And yet....! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 12
  • Love 9
17 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

Jill has used a filter so that Nathan’s horrible acne won’t be showing.

The second picture looks like it was taken through that thick Plexiglas they use at zoo exhibits. Make of that what you will.

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Post formatting has gone wonky!

2 pictures:

Oh, so being the birthday child entitles to kid to get to do all the "special" activities with parents, such as an exciting trip to the dentist!? Wow, the sheer joy of that prospect  is overwhelming! The free stick of gum she probably got at the dentist's office for waiting around so patiently might have been the best present she got!

And @floridamom's post made me think more about Timothy. Jill has stated a number of times that he was her most wayward, rebellious child, and that she is SO Proud (smile) of how obedient he has become. I shudder to think of what went into turning what was probably one of the most intelligent and creative of her children into a mindless automaton who can barely string together a coherent sentence...

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Jill has stated a number of times that he was her most wayward, rebellious child, and that she is SO Proud (smile) of how obedient he has become. I shudder to think of what went into turning what was probably one of the most intelligent and creative of her children into a mindless automaton who can barely string together a coherent sentence...

Jesus, that is sad. Sounds like he is the Rodrigues version of Josiah. 😞 

• Love 5

No braces. Not yet anyway.

Yay for your birthday date with ma and pa you go to a dentist! 

Nothing like:

Today for Sadie’s birthday we went to the movies and the zoo! 

God these people suck.

I bet Shrek got birthday cake for himself and poor Sadie watched him devour it.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

It does look like Sadie is chewing a piece of gum, though.  That was probably her special treat for her special day.  Not only did Sadie get to go to the dentist, she got to wait around while Mommy had her appointment.  Wouldn't want to spoil the kid with regular dental care.  I presume she won't be seeing a dentist until she's old enough for the fundie orthodontist who gives the Rod kids free braces.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, LilJen said:

The second picture looks like it was taken through that thick Plexiglas they use at zoo exhibits. Make of that what you will.

It'd be nice to store Jill behind some of that Plexiglass. 

If the zoo could keep her there, I wouldn't even insist on having the tigers or rattlesnakes put in with her. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 11
7 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Bitter laughter... Nathan’s parents are NOT decent people. They married their daughter Anna to Josh Duggar (sex pest, child molester). 

Not to mention the eldest Keller daughter, Esther, who was married off to a Baptist preacher, John Schrader, who, after moving the family all around the US in pursuit of his calling, was called by Jesus to move the whole family to rural Zambia where Esther is due to give birth to their 12th child in a couple months.  Schrader has repeatedly engaged in a war of words online with various Zambians who he claims are attempting to discredit him.  He's accused them of criminal activity, too.  No proof, of course.  He doesn't hesitate to call them out by name.  

Schrader isn't a child molester, but he's seemingly a bit unstable emotionally and Esther and the kids live in rather poor conditions, even for Zambia.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Oh, so being the birthday child entitles to kid to get to do all the "special" activities with parents, such as an exciting trip to the dentist!? Wow, the sheer joy of that prospect  is overwhelming! The free stick of gum she probably got at the dentist's office for waiting around so patiently might have been the best present she got!

And @floridamom's post made me think more about Timothy. Jill has stated a number of times that he was her most wayward, rebellious child, and that she is SO Proud (smile) of how obedient he has become. I shudder to think of what went into turning what was probably one of the most intelligent and creative of her children into a mindless automaton who can barely string together a coherent sentence...

Well Jill Rod did post about all night training sessions for her most rebellious child🤔

The Kellers are actually a lot like all the other fundies we know. They follow Gothard/IBLP. They raised their kids in a cult and probably the kids have the same limited education most fundies have. They were older when they married, which is why their quiver is "only" 🙄 8 kids.  Their children, who are still fundie, also homeschool and are quiverfull. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Anna's siblings, save Esther and Prissy, are NOT quiverful. I also believe that Rebekah and Suze send their kids to public school. Not sure about Daniel, but I don't know their custody arrangements.

Yes I know. I said the Keller kids, who are still fundie, homeschool and are quiverful. I meant the only fundie kids. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Nothing like:

Today for Sadie’s birthday we went to the movies and the zoo! 

God these people suck.

I bet Shrek got birthday cake for himself and poor Sadie watched him devour it.

My daughter's birthday is this week and we took her to the Great Wolf Lodge(her fave) for a long weekend to celebrate, just got back from the Mall of America where we watched Frozen II and rode some rides at the amusement park. It breaks my heart that these children will never experience anything like this. If they are lucky they get a stuffed animal to give to Mama and a small slice of cake/pie. 

4 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Does Sadie have braces or just bad teeth? My old eyes can't tell. 

Yeah, her teeth were pretty bad.

1 hour ago, louannems said:

Well Jill Rod did post about all night training sessions for her most rebellious child🤔

What??  Please elaborate.

7 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

My daughter's birthday is this week and we took her to the Great Wolf Lodge(her fave) for a long weekend to celebrate, just got back from the Mall of America where we watched Frozen II and rode some rides at the amusement park. It breaks my heart that these children will never experience anything like this. If they are lucky they get a stuffed animal to give to Mama and a small slice of cake/pie. 

The Rod kids are so isolated and brainwashed, they probably have no idea how other families interact with their children. Total control, which Jill excels at, is the key to keeping her little soldiers in line. I don't know about David. He's probably afraid of Jill on some level too. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Nope, Nurie gets far more praise and attention from Jill than any of the other kids.

Although I think that Timmy is not far behind, given how he went from the problem child to the one most apt to fast (therefore leave extra food for his headship), and/or use whatever extra pittance he can scrape together to send the Best Mama in the World flowers and candy). He's her biggest success story, as opposed to just a naturally compliant child.

2 hours ago, farmgal4 said:
3 hours ago, louannems said:

What??  Please elaborate.

Sleep deprivation as a brainwashing technique?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

The Rod kids are so isolated and brainwashed, they probably have no idea how other families interact with their children. Total control, which Jill excels at, is the key to keeping her little soldiers in line. I don't know about David. He's probably afraid of Jill on some level too. 

I think Lardass David is too lazy to care about anything that Batshit Crazy Jill does.  He just sits back and allows her to be the lunatic that she is.  I do wonder, however, if he has enough common sense to silently realize that she truly is a nut job.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Yes,I think Jill truly wears the pants in that family,even though she hates pants.LOL

Many of these fundie families preach patriarchy,even though a lot of times,it's the woman running the show.I get that feeling from Ben n Jessa Duggar Seewald as well

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
4 minutes ago, sondraK said:

Yes,I think Jill truly wears the pants in that family,even though she hates pants.LOL

Many of these fundie families preach patriarchy,even though a lot of times,it's the woman running the show.I get that feeling from Ben n Jessa Duggar Seewald as well.

And Erin Bates Paine,and possibly Joy Duggar Forsyth.I think Joy has a strong personality

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

Timothy came home for Thanksgiving- 6 pictures

Sounds like Timmy is still atoning for forgetting Mama's birthday while waylaid with food poisoning. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8