Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I’m a little skeeved that he was a 23 year old checking out a teenager.

Eerily similar to my experience- 23 yr old leader of the church college and career class had been checking me out since I was 14. At 17 he finally made a move and we started dating, condoned by my parents since he was from church so his intentions must have been pure. 🙄 They were not!  I was a completely sheltered fundie girl who’d only been to tiny insular Christian schools and churches, no experience with relationships other than having intense crushes on boys in the church youth group. It didn’t turn out well. 

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, awaken said:

Eerily similar to my experience- 23 yr old leader of the church college and career class had been checking me out since I was 14. At 17 he finally made a move and we started dating, condoned by my parents since he was from church so his intentions must have been pure. 🙄 They were not!  I was a completely sheltered fundie girl who’d only been to tiny insular Christian schools and churches, no experience with relationships other than having intense crushes on boys in the church youth group. It didn’t turn out well. 

I hope you're okay now.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, awaken said:

I'm so sorry--that is awful! As Temperance said, I hope you're okay now. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, becca3891 said:

For a 21-year-old to be openly staring at a 14-year-old is extremely creepy, for sure. That's what stood out to me when I read this. I'm not trying to act morally superior, but I'm uncomfortable making fun of anyone for their weight, teeth, ugliness, etc. But I will make an exception when it comes to David's weight because of the extreme thinness of his children. 

IMO, it would be unusual in the extreme for anybody not to notice that David R. is hugely unattractive; plus his personality matches, so there is that.  Judge away!!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I’m a little skeeved that he was a 23 year old checking out a teenager.

And Jill writes: I was now 16 … and looking older. (bolding mine)

So basically once Jill grew boobs he became interested.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Cream of the crop? More like the bottom of the barrel. 

Off to the prayer closet.

She said from that college and career class.  For all we know, he may have been the cream of that particular crop.

• LOL 1
21 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Glad to know I'm not the only one.  A seven year age difference is huge, especially when we're talking about a 21 year old 'noticing' a 14 year old.

There’s a ten year difference between me and my boyfriend. We didn’t meet until we were in our late 30’s and 40’s respectfully so it never really seems creepy unless we talk about how I was in second grade when he went to senior prom. 

I can’t get over the fact that Jill graduated from high school in 1997. I graduated in 1992 and she looks so much older than me. 

• Love 10
37 minutes ago, AUgirl said:

There’s a ten year difference between me and my boyfriend. We didn’t meet until we were in our late 30’s and 40’s respectfully so it never really seems creepy unless we talk about how I was in second grade when he went to senior prom. 

I can’t get over the fact that Jill graduated from high school in 1997. I graduated in 1992 and she looks so much older than me. 

I chalk it up to her straight out of the 80's video vixen makeup. Which is kind of strange, because when would she see MTV? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

8 pictures:

Interesting. They had an open house yesterday, so I was wondering where they would take everyone. Apparently to mooch off this church in PA.

1 minute ago, Totally said:

Which one is Nurie?

Far left.

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Interesting. They had an open house yesterday, so I was wondering where they would take everyone. Apparently to mooch off this church in PA. 

Are you sure you don't mean OPEN house?

• LOL 16
13 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

The younger girl look better, that makeup on the older ones is over the top.

But every time I see David in the picture, I feel a bit sick. Ugly I know, but his looks...damn

It astounds me that the daughters are encouraged by their own mother to use so much heavy makeup that results in such a cheap and tacky look.  If I had applied makeup like that, my own mother would have sent me straight to the bathroom to wash at least half of it off before she'd allow me to leave the house.

(Although my mother was a woman of faith, she was about as far from a fundie as possible, and she had few restrictions as to how I should look and dress.  In this case, I think she'd be rightfully concerned that I would embarrass myself.)

• Love 18
41 minutes ago, MonicaM said:

It astounds me that the daughters are encouraged by their own mother to use so much heavy makeup that results in such a cheap and tacky look.  If I had applied makeup like that, my own mother would have sent me straight to the bathroom to wash at least half of it off before she'd allow me to leave the house.

(Although my mother was a woman of faith, she was about as far from a fundie as possible, and she had few restrictions as to how I should look and dress.  In this case, I think she'd be rightfully concerned that I would embarrass myself.)

Back in the day, make was used to enhanced one's looks. We went for a more natural look. Well then the 80s happened and hair kinda went big, but even then, other than maybe eyeliner, natural was still a thing with makeup.

In my area JillR's makeup style was never a thing.

• Love 6
On 10/21/2019 at 11:50 AM, AUgirl said:

Exactly; you met when you were both adults. No issue there at all! Honestly, I think staring is creepy even if the subject isn't a minor. So it's doubly creepy.

12 hours ago, MonicaM said:

It amazes me too. I'm a liberal, feminist atheist and believe women should wear whatever they want, but from the perspective of people obsessed with modesty, it's a "look" that is often associated with women who are the opposite of "modest." It's incredibly hypocritical that Jill goes around calling pants "sluttish."

• Love 18
On 10/24/2019 at 12:09 PM, galaxychaser said:

The kids probably shared 1 pie and 1 order of fries. The parents had normal portions. 

My aunt basically used to do that to her kids. She would split a baked potato between 3 kids, a tiny steak among the 3, while she and my uncle had normal portions. I remember she took her 3 and me and my sister to Burger King for lunch. I was maybe 10, there were 2 a year younger than me, and the the youngest two would have been 7 and 5. She got me a hamburger and then split 2 burgers between the other 4 and a medium fry between 5 kids. She, however, chowed down on a whopper and a medium fry. She also made us all play outside all day long right after breakfast, we even ate outside at the picnic tables. God only knows what she was eating all day. She only stopped rationing food when one of her kids snuck into the house to sneak some food and pushed herself up on the stove... right on hot burners and burnt the palms of both of her hands. They weren't hurting for money, so it's not like it was a matter of they didn't have food to give them normal portions. It does partially explain why our Italian grandmother who lived next door was constantly trying to feed my cousins the second we walked in the door. The other part is Italian grandmother. 

How is the oldest Rod son doing in college? I've lost track of this family. Is he still going? Any of the other sons? I know better than to ask about the daughters. 

17 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

My aunt basically used to do that to her kids. She would split a baked potato between 3 kids, a tiny steak among the 3, while she and my uncle had normal portions. I remember she took her 3 and me and my sister to Burger King for lunch. I was maybe 10, there were 2 a year younger than me, and the the youngest two would have been 7 and 5. She got me a hamburger and then split 2 burgers between the other 4 and a medium fry between 5 kids. She, however, chowed down on a whopper and a medium fry. She also made us all play outside all day long right after breakfast, we even ate outside at the picnic tables. God only knows what she was eating all day. She only stopped rationing food when one of her kids snuck into the house to sneak some food and pushed herself up on the stove... right on hot burners and burnt the palms of both of her hands. They weren't hurting for money, so it's not like it was a matter of they didn't have food to give them normal portions. It does partially explain why our Italian grandmother who lived next door was constantly trying to feed my cousins the second we walked in the door. The other part is Italian grandmother. 

How is the oldest Rod son doing in college? I've lost track of this family. Is he still going? Any of the other sons? I know better than to ask about the daughters. 

Timothy dropped out. He is now in Wisconsin? training to become a pilot. The rest of the kids are still starving on the stink bus.

56 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

This was Jill's "BIG" announcement about Tim earlier this year. He dropped out of Moody in Washington State--for reasons that don't make sense--and now is at a program in Wisconsin. He's part of Wings As Eagles Ministry and as part of that is supposed to also be taking classes at a secular community college. 

https://rodriguesfamilyministries.com/main/?p=3929

We're not real clear on Tim's grades/how he is faring at the new school. But I am weirdly proud of him for not returning home to his freak show parents after Moody didn't work out.

FIGHT THE POWER (OF YOUR FUCKING CRAZY-ASS FAMILY), TIM! 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 1
  • Love 15

So the thing about Tim leaving Moody is supposedly financial.  Jill claims that they did not know the cost went up each year, even though it’s CLEARLY spelled out on their website. I think Tim had academic trouble and left.  Or wasn’t able to pay for it all on his own. Financial issues with colleges can be overcome with financial aid and working with the school.  But seeing as grants and student loans are seemingly not allowed in their circles, grifting for tuition is the only way to afford it. And Jill couldn’t grift enough to cover the cost. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Love 18
16 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

So the thing about Tim leaving Moody is supposedly financial.  Jill claims that they did not know the cost went up each year, even though it’s CLEARLY spelled out on their website. I think Tim had academic trouble and left.  Or wasn’t able to pay for it all on his own. Financial issues with colleges can be overcome with financial aid and working with the school.  But seeing as grants and student loans are seemingly not allowed in their circles, grifting for tuition is the only way to afford it. And Jill couldn’t grift enough to cover the cost. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Bingo. I think that for once JillR came up against an immovable force, i.e., Moody. She's used to battering churches and people with the super holiness of The Rod Family Serving Jesus! (vs., you know, working at real jobs that provide real benefits to other people in return for getting paid real money), and getting freebies in return.

But, when you think about it, Moody is in the Evangelical Christian Missionary business. Everybody who wants to study there shows up already dedicated to serving the correct Jesus. I'm sure many of Moody's aspiring missionary mechanics/pilots come from large homeschooled fundie or fundie-lite families. Hence, as somebody mentioned, Moody has a special set of preparatory classes in I think the math/science area. Probably because too many homeschooled kids just didn't have a strong enough background in those subjects on arrival at Moody, and needed that extra help to succeed in the academics.

The Rods ain't nothing special to Moody. JillR could pose and screech and post on the innernets all she likes, but she couldn't get Moody to change their system for her. I'm sure they've seen plenty like her before. 

• Love 22
3 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

The Rods ain't nothing special to Moody. JillR could pose and screech and post on the innernets all she likes, but she couldn't get Moody to change their system for her. I'm sure they've seen plenty like her before. 

And once she realized that, she had to rewrite the whole scenario and demonize the school so that she and her family were the innocent victims. There was an evil professor who THREW THE KING JAMES BIBLE IN THE TRASH!!!! Imagine how devastated Tim was to hear this! Imagine the number of "Bible-believing" students who are corrupted by this ungodly man and don't have brave mothers like Jill to stand up for the truth!

One of the silliest things about this crowd is the way they fetishize the KJV.

• LOL 1
  • Love 23
43 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

Yeah I remember folks finding the financial requirements clearly spelled out, contrary to what she said. I suspect you're right that he either struggled academically or that their grift couldn't cover the costs. (I could also totally see Jill not actively or wholeheartedly grifting, thinking if Tim left Moody he would come home.)

In any event, Jill would never admit to either of the most likely scenarios since it would be an admission of failure, so Moody became the bad guy. 

• Love 14
5 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

I'm thinking the reason grants or loans is not allowed is because it would be blatantly obvious to the government there's a SHIT TON of cash being donated to these families and not being reported to the IRS. I can't believe the family printing press is doing enough business to support a single person, let alone a family of what, 13? 15? How are they affording the house, the vehicles, the bus, the trips, the food they aren't giving to the kids, the 12 tons of makeup, hair, and nails? Matching outfits have to be expensive too. Of course the grifting families don't want to go the financial aid route, they would be exposed. Sure, we all know, but as long as they aren't asking for help, the government is ignoring their scams.

5 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Yep, she finally found a group who wasn't impressed by their dog and pony show or guilted by her starving children. I'm sure Moody was the exact opposite of enamored by the Rods. Jill's blog posts from the very start had to have caught more than a few frowning second glances from staff and donors. Jill made it clear from the get go she wasn't happy with the school's bible teachings or her precious son attending. 

Good on Tim continuing to attend school, and working for his dream. I'd say the same if his dream was to work at Walmart. Anything that breaks at least some of the poor kids out of the parent's constant control. I just hope aviation mechanic/preacher is actually his dream and not his parents. I can 100% see Jill insisting he does this because it might make the Duggar's pay attention to them. If nothing else, Tim has got to be learning some useful skills and getting away from the parents is obviously beneficial. 

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Fostersmom said:

I'm thinking the reason grants or loans is not allowed is because it would be blatantly obvious to the government there's a SHIT TON of cash being donated to these families and not being reported to the IRS. I can't believe the family printing press is doing enough business to support a single

Little bit of potential miscommunication could emerge here that I want to clear up before it does.

i think @Lady Edith (and you, too, @Fostersmom ?)  is noting that the Rods and some of their connections don't like the idea of loans and grants for various cuckoo reasons (preferring plain old grifting from individuals and churches, raising flags with the IRS! and who knows what else?!)......not that Moody Aviation doesn't have or permit loans and grants. 

Just so we all understand what's being said and what the facts are: Moody does use loans and grants... (from their website -- https://www.moody.edu/undergrad/aviation/financial-aid/  ) "Are you worried about paying for college? Moody wants to help you! The cost of your degree from Moody Aviation is offset by scholarships and grants—making it possible for you to graduate with as little debt as possible and pursue aviation or airplane mechanics with experience and knowledge. We’re committed to your success."  

....It's just Jill and her ilk that may avoid them like the plague! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1

I think JILL figured her minions would RUSH to subsidize her GODLY son's EDUCATION! When that didn't happen, she got pissy with Moody and created a false narrative. It's one thing to scam semi-lucid seniors out of a used car, but a six-figure tuition bill is a whole 'nother ball of wax. Jill clearly wasn't up to the task. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 16