Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Grandma Rod doesn't look too happy to see the gang. It's the same kind of look Gil Bateses parents have when they get their house crashed at Thanksgiving.  At least the kids got to enjoy a pizza dinner. 

• Love 11

”Popping in” on someone usually denotes arriving without notice or very little notice. So yeah, having 14 people show up at your home and being unprepared for it would put someone In a state for sure.  And if I’m remembering correctly Grammy Rod isn’t exactly fundilicious.  Or at least not as fundy as her son and his family. So being bombarded with all that is surely not easy.  Especially when you aren’t used to the noise. And they ordered pizza.  Which most likely meant Grammy Rod didn’t have food in the house or wasn’t about to cook a meal for 20 people.

I wonder how much involvement David’s family actually has with the Rods. You don’t hear much about either set of grand rents. And it doesn’t appear that they visit much on holidays or vacation. 

Edited by Lady Edith
Added the bit about the pizza.
  • Love 6

Is Grandmother a sluttish, trouser wearing woman??😦

In one of those photos, one of those poor starving waifs is hugging her, truly hugging her, in a way she never does with her "parents".  My heart really breaks for them.

Free Jinger has made the Rodders private, after Reddit rightly criticised their endless fucking awful off topic blathering. They are sensitive wee souls over there. Heaven forbid they actually talk about the topic and not how many times a day they take a shit.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
40 minutes ago, MunichNark said:

Is Grandmother a sluttish, trouser wearing woman??😦

In one of those photos, one of those poor starving waifs is hugging her, truly hugging her, in a way she never does with her "parents".  My heart really breaks for them.

Free Jinger has made the Rodders private, after Reddit rightly criticised their endless fucking awful off topic blathering. They are sensitive wee souls over there. Heaven forbid they actually talk about the topic and not how many times a day they take a shit.

Yes, she wears jeans and does/did work.  I believe even Jill's mother works.  Everyone works except the Rods because they love jesus and are "in full-time ministry".

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

It's a girl for Carlin and Evan! Layla Rae Stewart is due in February! 

Katie Bates turned 19 today. Last year her sister Josie got married on Katie's birthday. Now Carlin announces it's a girl on her birthday.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Katie Bates out for a birthday dinner (she turns 19 today) with her  "special friend," Travis Clark. Josie and Kelton chaperoned them. 

He's wearing a tux. She's wearing what looks like an ordinary black tee or black dress, with the requisite modesty shirt underneath. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

”Popping in” on someone usually denotes arriving without notice or very little notice. So yeah, having 14 people show up at your home and being unprepared for it would put someone In a state for sure.  And if I’m remembering correctly Grammy Rod isn’t exactly fundilicious.  Or at least not as fundy as her son and his family. So being bombarded with all that is surely not easy.  Especially when you aren’t used to the noise. And they ordered pizza.  Which most likely meant Grammy Rod didn’t have food in the house or wasn’t about to cook a meal for 20 people.

I am sure that, surprised or not, it was Grandma Rod who paid for those pizzas.  No way Jill or Chubby Hubby came across with the cash to feed that mob.  Also, Jill could use a geography lesson since real New York style pizza is found in New York City which happens to be a 6 hour drive from Grandma's house.  Rochester is near Buffalo clear over on the western end of a very wide state.  If JRod wanted some authentic local cuisine, Buffalo wings would've been the way to go.

Last time we heard about Grandma Rod that I remember was back when Jill was grifting a new car because David was going to drive to New York to bring her to WVa to see Janessa after she was born.  I don't think they are terribly close.

While David has his mother's dentition, he must resemble his father because his mother is nowhere near as scary looking.

Jill's parents are more fundy and she was home schooled which she brags about all the time and which explains her terrible skills at grammar and punctuation.  They also reside near the Rods someplace in WVa and they may have been involved somehow in obtaining the current JRod residence which is now on the market.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Sooo I guess Katie Bates will be a’courtin’ soon!

They both look like teens and have no business getting married because we all know that after the courting they all rush into marriage and babies right away. 

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Sooo I guess Katie Bates will be a’courtin’ soon!

and what do we know of this guy??? does he have a profession??? as in can he support her??? just curious

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Layla? Never thought I would see an ay-rab name from this crowd.

I know it is trendy at the moment as an alternative to Lila but Layla/Leyla/Laila is all pseudonym of belly dancers for me.

Laaaaaylaaaaa! You got me on my knees! Layla!

• LOL 15
  • Love 8

The Bates are quickly catching up to the Duggars on grandkids. 13 and counting Bates gkids,to their 17.Presuming all goes well.

Jim Bob will have a fit if they outdo him.He has a big ego and always has to be top gun.He's going to have to get some of those boys married off soon,if he wants to keep up!

Edited by sondraK
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

I looked at the trends of Layla and I am very surprised it has taken the past 5-7 years for it to catch on in the western world. The original release in the 1970s and Claptons unplugged release in the early 90s should have made it more popular than what it was. Granted it is was about Patti Boyd who was George Harrison's wife at the time.

Yeah though. I never thought I would see the day that these people would use a very distinctly Arabic name. It isn't like Asema or Aisha with religious connotations but wow. I was expecting Izabellah or something with this crowd. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I bet he's pleased that he's far and away outdoing them in the grandson department, anyhow.

True! Jim Bob would love a Duggar America,I've always thought.One where everyone has the last name Duggar.Thkfully it won't happen

1 minute ago, sondraK said:
Edited by sondraK
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

OMG, I'm still laughing!

ETA:  Katie & Travis should be going to a (high school) Homecoming Dance at their ages. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 10

Very curious about mama rodrigii!  I so wonder if she  has similar beliefs, or if she is just as dumbfounded as we are by their “popping in” and doing back rubs!

Carlin’s baby announcement is just TOO MUCH!  I really dislike the dye running down her arms and legs. It’s not attractive. 

And it’s shallow of me, but the bates’ husbands are so much more dorky looking than their gorgeous wives! 

• Love 10
13 hours ago, sondraK said:

The Bates are quickly catching up to the Duggars on grandkids. 13 and counting Bates gkids,to their 17.Presuming all goes well.

Jim Bob will have a fit if they outdo him.He has a big ego and always has to be top gun.He's going to have to get some of those boys married off soon,if he wants to keep up!

I hope the Bates kids get a few twins and the Duggars have none 😂

13 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Agreed, which is why it makes no sense that they're rushing to marry these dweebs instead of holding out for something better. 

Probably because their sick of sleeping in a shared bedroom with god knows how many girls, they haven’t got any privacy and have loads of chores to do. Plus they don’t wanna be in their late 20s and early thirties and feel like “old maids” that no man would ever want. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Agreed, which is why it makes no sense that they're rushing to marry these dweebs instead of holding out for something better. 

Having grown up in a weird fundy cult (although not Gothard), I'd like to generalize that other than the teeniest, tiniest fraction of a percent, there really isn't a "better" out there. And you don't want to be a washed up old maid, (about 21-22) because your pickings are even slimmer.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, estellasmum said:

Having grown up in a weird fundy cult (although not Gothard), I'd like to generalize that other than the teeniest, tiniest fraction of a percent, there really isn't a "better" out there. And you don't want to be a washed up old maid, (about 21-22) because your pickings are even slimmer.

I think that's exactly right; the guys the Bates' girls are marrying are probably the cream of a very small crop.  The pickens' are slim when you're limited to other members of the cult.

Also, these girls are raised to believe that marriage is forever and that their entire purpose is to be a SAHM with as many kids as possible.  Coming from their cult, where men are supposed to be self supporting with their own businesses. the girls are probably not as concerned with looks as they are with trying to find a guy they think can support them.  The Bates's girls remember what it is like to live in poverty even better than the Duggars do.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 3
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

I think that's exactly right; the guys the Bates' girls are marrying are probably the cream of a very small crop.  The pickens' are slim when you're limited to other members of the cult.

Also, these girls are raised to believe that marriage is forever and that their entire purpose is to be a SAHM with as many kids as possible.  Coming from their cult, where men are supposed to be self supporting with their own businesses. the girls are probably not as concerned with looks as they are with trying to find a guy they think can support them.  The Bates's girls remember what it is like to live in poverty even better than the Duggars do.

It's not just your husband, it's your headship. You want your headship to transfer from your parents to something better, small chance that may be. The Rodrigui, Stevehovahs, Maxhells, and Derick Dillard are the norm, not the strange exception, and money is generally really tight with lack of going to a real elementary, middle school, high school or college, limitations of what they can do or see, real world experience, etc. There was a guy when I was still in that looked like a ferret and mildly smelled funny, but he was super popular among the girls, because he was pretty fun and friendly, and had a pretty decent job for the religion. He had his pick of girls to marry. Erin Bates probably won the jackpot with Chad, and even though he is a pretentious twit, and totally laughable, Jinger at least gets to have way more fun and closer to real world experiences than pretty much anyone in this group. And I'm not saying any of these guys would be a great real world catch. 

Edited by estellasmum
  • Love 13
15 hours ago, awaken said:

Very curious about mama rodrigii!  I so wonder if she  has similar beliefs, or if she is just as dumbfounded as we are by their “popping in” and doing back rubs!

Carlin’s baby announcement is just TOO MUCH!  I really dislike the dye running down her arms and legs. It’s not attractive. 

And it’s shallow of me, but the bates’ husbands are so much more dorky looking than their gorgeous wives! 

An Instagram hashtag is not the same as an account. 

I think the Bates girls' looks are overrated. They look like country music caricatures to me. I also think it's ridiculous when people smile with their mouth open. You're trying too hard, Carlin. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

The Bates's girls remember what it is like to live in poverty even better than the Duggars do.

Even though Gil and Kelly said that they apologized to the older kids for what they had to go through, it appears as though Alyssa is still bitter. 

Every time one of the sisters announces a pregnancy, my heart breaks for Michael. 

• Love 14

The Bates getting twins and the Duggars none would be hilarious! Also if the Bates outdo them in grandsons,which they still could.I do think both families value boys more,so they can pass on their last name

1 hour ago, Heathen said:

An Instagram hashtag is not the same as an account. 

I think the Bates girls' looks are overrated. They look like country music caricatures to me. I also think it's ridiculous when people smile with their mouth open. You're trying too hard, Carlin. 

Me,too. I always think of gummy Jill Duggar,who can't seem to smile w her mouth closed if her life depended on it,always showing her gums.Whitney Bates does the same thing.Petty,but it annoys me for some reason

• Love 2

Isn't there a  procedure Michaela can have done to clear her tubes? I thought there was something that could be done about that.If one of her tubes is only partially blocked,she could still get pregnant,small chance though,and she would have a higher risk of a tubal pregnancy,and could lose that one

Edited by sondraK
22 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Well, they could be unrepentant anal rapists (and old, unattractive ones into the bargain.....).....

When the guy has to be a dedicated cultist, I'm not sure there's a menu of prospects with significant positive traits.....

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Jenilane6 said:

Gotta say it, the Bates girls are gorgeous.

Agreed! I was surprised when Josie recently announced that she was getting extensions in her hair again so that she could do fun braids, etc. It hadn’t occurred to me that all that hair the Bates girls have may not be all theirs (not that there’s anything wrong with that). And clearly Josie and Katie are bleaching. It seems the Duggars’ hair is all theirs.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

7 “videos “:

Causes: Christianity, Religion

Mission: Wings took 5 mission trips to canada,

Programs: "wings as eagles carried 20 people to various misionn fields in canada, usa, mexico and cameroon. There was 40 profession of faith and over 394 bibles were distributed. Gospel meetings were held in canada, usa, mexico and cameroon. A bible camp ministry in canada was served, flight camp was also conducted to teach teens the need for avaition in ministry. Aircraft maintenance support was also provided to other missionaries in canada and cameroon. "

https://greatnonprofits.org/org/wings-as-eagles-mission-air-service-inc

• Useful 1