Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, tabloidlover said:

***WARNING****  Scary pic below:

Hide contents

I do believe Jilly has OD’d on Plexus 

Holy fuck--even with the spoiler tag and your post, I still was not emotionally ready to see that picture. 😫

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 15
  • Love 2

The rodders children have zero table manners, leaning their elbows on the table like that. But at least they get sone food for once. Jill’s clown photo is terrifying-is she on drugs? She is so damn over the top, all of the time.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, awaken said:

Michaela has officially started nursing school. I’m happy for her!  

Brandon's post said "1 month down, 11 to go." If she did pre reqs at community college, can she complete an RN degree in a year, or are we looking at an LPN degree?

• Love 6

At least being an LPN is real, unlike the garbage Gothard mail order workbook "courses" to become a noncertified midwife. 

On the topic of the Bateses, I was seriously annoyed by Carlin in last week's wedding planning episode. Maybe it's just because I have a difficult, crappy life, but her remarks about TopGolf being a "good distraction to keep my mind off of the nervousness about tomorrow" had me rolling my eyes hard. The level of drama made it sound like she was dreading surgery or chemo, not going to shop for a dress. Get over yourself. Then crying about the possibility of rain at her outdoor wedding? I'm sorry, but seriously. If that's what constitutes something to cry about in your world, you have it made.

• Love 21

Sarah Mally is the author of Before You Meet Prince Charming and other fundie books. She is a fundie SAHD. Her family has three children: Sarah, Stephen, and Grace. Sarah Mally is 39/40, her brother is 33/34 and her sister Grace is 30/31. 

Grace is engaged and getting married in the beginning of November. Her family announced the engagement. 

I got this newsletter from FJ:

Dear Friends,

Hello from the Mally family and Bright Lights staff!

It Finally Happened – By Harold Mally

A Mally daughter is getting married!  I wondered if it would ever happen.  Sarah and Grace have been content, focused on what God has given them to do and excited about it.  They certainly wanted to marry, but, of course, they wanted God’s will and God’s timing.  It was my conclusion that God was keeping the boys away for a while because the Bright Lights ministry with girls required fulltime investment.  I had wondered if that was going to be permanent or if God would eventually bring marriage into the picture.  Yep.  He has.  Grace and Josiah Moffitt are getting married on November 2nd. Our whole family is so encouraged to see God’s mighty hand in bringing them together. Grace will share more details at some point in the future. But this is my article, not hers.

It’s not an easy task being a father, as all you fathers know, but it’s the most wonderful thing.  I didn’t know that years ago.  As a result, it was only by God’s grace that we have Grace at all.  Hence her name, “undeserved gift.”  This is a lengthy and miraculous story that I can’t tell in this short email about this undeserving father.  But every father has a grace story.  We need only to list the miracles we all have from God’s hand in the lives of the kids He entrusts to us.    

As fathers we want the best for our daughters.  We protect them.  We teach them.  We answer their questions – well, we try.  We pray for them.  We take them out for coffee to answer more questions. 🙂 (Grace has always been a big question-asker.) We have the joy of working together on ministry projects.  When they are little we tell them stories at bed time.  When they grow up we have long discussions about life, people, family, direction, the Bible, Christ and ministry.  They ask us which outfit we think looks the best.  They ask what we think they should say in response to certain people and situations.  They look to us for counsel.   They keep life interesting and challenging and rewarding.

Years ago I started a project for my daughters called the “Othniel Project.” You might recall the account in Joshua 15 and Judges 1 of what Caleb did to find a husband for his daughter.  It seemed to me to be a pretty good plan.  He made an offer.  To whomever attacks the city of the giants and takes it I will give my daughter Achsah as wife. :-) We don’t have the same kind of giants today, but we have other kinds of giants and huge spiritual battles.  So I began praying for and looking for a giant killer. More on this later, maybe next month.

I had expected both of my daughters to be married already.  They knew lots of people and had lots of friends.  But no boyfriends came into the picture.  I did some exploring for them, but I was unsuccessful on my own.  Truly it’s something only God can do. In the meantime, what God did do was gather other girls who had a heart for discipleship and organize them into a ministry team, mentoring younger girls through conferences and Bright Lights groups.  It’s been exciting and we look forward to what’s next. We anticipate many changes—good ones! But God does not change. “Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever”  (Hebrews 13:8).  But He brings growth and we change as He works in our lives.  God’s changelessness is our security and stability.  We confidently and expectantly anticipate the wonders of His unfolding plans.

So, what is going to change on November 2nd?  Hmmm. Here are some rambling thoughts from a father:  

·         We will have another empty room in the house (Stephen has had his own apartment for a few years now). 

·         We will gain a new wonderful family member. 

·         There will be an adjusted authority structure as Grace is transferred to the protection and leadership of her husband.

·         Many normal family routines will be adjusted.  (Like I won’t get as many of Grace’s homemade pies and she won’t make me coffee in the morning.)

·         A new ministry team will be formed as two people come together and are strengthened by each other. 

·         Many more good things because God is an endless source of good and all His purposes are good.

The words in Isaiah 25:1 are among many Bible verses that express my thankfulness to God for His help and grace to an undeserving father.  “O LORD, You are my God.  I will exalt You.  I will praise Your name, For you have done wonderful things; Your counsels of old are faithfulness and truth.”

. . . To be continued            

Edited by Temperance

All I can think reading this is, poor Sarah. Not at all that I think it's bad to be 39/40 and unmarried. I'm almost 36 and single myself. But in their world, this has to be devastating. And I really wonder if any fundy 40-year-old man wants a wife his own age who likely has very few fertile years left. 

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Sarah Mally is the author of Before You Meet Prince Charming and other fundie books. She is a fundie SAHD. Her family has three children: Sarah, Stephen, and Grace. Sarah Mally is 39/40, her brother is 33/34 and her sister Grace is 30/31. 

Grace is engaged and getting married in the beginning of November. Her family announced the engagement. 

I got this newsletter from FJ:

It never fails to shock me how fundementalist fathers can be so condensending and awful to their daughters while talking about how precious they are. 

This particular arsehole is proudly boasting that his daughters are so insecure that they ask him about their outfits and what to say to other people. Reminder, these are fully grown women.  According to this, Grace's only noteworthy traits are that she prays, bakes and makes coffee. Lovely to know that two of the three things that your father remembers are when you make him food.  

Meanwhile, can someone please hand him the Father of the Year award because he even went out to find them husbands! But in what has to be one of the most impressive backhands I've seen in a wedding announcement, he talks about how no boys have wanted to go near them for well over a decade.  And instead God decided that rather than have their own lives they should act as unpaid labour for their father's "ministry". 

And to finish off, his daughter who has been on this earth for more than three decades will be "transferred to the protection and leadership of her husband" and everyone else has to adjust to a new "authority structure".  Heaven forbid she exist as a seperate person with autonomy.  

I hope that Grace is genuinely happy but it's really going from one cage to another. 

• Love 11
7 hours ago, becca3891 said:

All I can think reading this is, poor Sarah. Not at all that I think it's bad to be 39/40 and unmarried. I'm almost 36 and single myself. But in their world, this has to be devastating. And I really wonder if any fundy 40-year-old man wants a wife his own age who likely has very few fertile years left. 

I literally felt ill when I read about "the adjusted authority structure".  So gross!

• Love 15
11 hours ago, Zella said:

Holy fuck--even with the spoiler tag and your post, I still was not emotionally ready to see that picture. 😫

I tried @Zella !!   Lol   That crazy eyes look had me in shock for a few minutes.   That Plexus meth in a bottle is something else and should be looked at by the FDA

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Brandon's post said "1 month down, 11 to go." If she did pre reqs at community college, can she complete an RN degree in a year, or are we looking at an LPN degree?

Even if she did prerequisites at CC she would still need at minimum 8 courses in nursing (2 years) to be a RN. A Bachelors degree takes four years and it includes some tough courses in chemistry, physics as well as a killer Anatomy and Physiology course designed to weed out the weak or unintelligent.  Most associates degrees in nursing take two years for an AAS (Associates in Applied Science) which makes you eligible (in NY state) to take the RN boards. I think she is probably going for a LPN. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5

There are some transition programs for LPN/EMT trained people.  It seems that is what Michaela may be doing.  She supposedly completed EMT training and the college where she is going offers such a program.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I doubt she is getting an RN. It would be an incredibly intense scheduling proposition to get all of her clinicals done in a year.  More likely, it is an LPN, which is great; it's a real, employable profession.  And, if sometime later she decides she wants to be an RN, she'll have a great foundation to build on.

• Useful 4
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, louannems said:

I literally felt ill when I read about "the adjusted authority structure".  So gross!

It's definitely gross. I grew up in a VERY conservative church that taught the "wifely submission" doctrine, which is bad enough, but calling it an authority structure is even worse. 

• Love 4

Upthread someone mentioned the Rodrigues children and their horrible table manners. Looking at these kids, I don’t believe they’ve sat at a dining table all that often. Some of them probably do bathroom eating like Jill Duggar did! 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Upthread someone mentioned the Rodrigues children and their horrible table manners. Looking at these kids, I don’t believe they’ve sat at a dining table all that often. Some of them probably do bathroom eating like Jill Duggar did! 

They probably eat a good portion of their meals in the RV or at church potlucks. So yes, tables are and table manners are likely lost on them.

• Love 2

Poor Heather. She got roped into the Ponzi scheme and I feel, from the look of abject misery she projects through this entire 10 minutes of video, her face will haunt my dreams tonight. 

2 minutes ago, Gweilo said:

I wonder if Michael wears pants with her scrubs top. Can you even wear a scrub skirt?

Yes, I believe that there are scrub skirts.  If not, she’ll probably make them herself.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

No, she's not an LPN. She couldn't.

I haven't found an LPN program at the school she's attending.  The bridge is allowed for paramedics.  Is it possible she completed that training?

• Useful 1
14 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I haven't found an LPN program at the school she's attending.  The bridge is allowed for paramedics.  Is it possible she completed that training?

A typical rn program is pre-reqs, then admission o the nursing program. She'd be an rn when she gradated. An associates level degree - unless it's a school that goes all the way to BSN.

I didn't know she a paramedic - then most bridges will take you.

1 hour ago, Giant Misfit said:

Poor Heather. She got roped into the Ponzi scheme and I feel, from the look of abject misery she projects through this entire 10 minutes of video, her face will haunt my dreams tonight. 

Is bleached blonde mama there for real?  Do the Duggars associate with the likes of her, to make themselves look more mainstream?  LOL

So Plexus is just another MLM like Sister Wives' Meri Brown's LuLaNo (LuLaRoe?)  I heard the word team and so this JillR is making money on all the "good Christian women" she can sucker into joining this schtick?  All righty then.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Gweilo said:

I wonder if Michael wears pants with her scrubs top. Can you even wear a scrub skirt?

I have worked with Fundy nurses who wore long scrub skirts.  They were made out of scrub material and they wore a regular scrub top with them. They certainly stood out in a crowd.  We used to have "scrub dresses" available.  They were actually pretty comfortable.  Lots of nurses-and doctors-used to wear them. They were knee-length and had a drawstring waist.  I don't think any hospital has them anymore, though.  They went the way of uniform dresses.  But "scrub skirts" are available.

• Useful 5
19 hours ago, becca3891 said:

On the topic of the Bateses, I was seriously annoyed by Carlin in last week's wedding planning episode. Maybe it's just because I have a difficult, crappy life,

Becca3891, this made me sad.  One day at a time, girlfriend.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

She was trained as an EMT, I think, and not a paramedic.  EMT's need a couple hundred of hours of instruction; paramedics need thousands.  It's a completely different level of training since paramedics usually have about 10 times the educational hours before they finish the program..  In addition, the program above requires a current license as a paramedic which would also mean she was taking required educational courses and training each year.

I think it is unlikely that Michael ever got qualified to be a paramedic, let alone licensed and renewing it regularly.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, becca3891 said:

And in their world, no marriage means no partnered sex or physical affection of ANY kind.....I would be one evil “you know what” in that position. *

*of course I am not condemning anyone who wishes to refrain from partnered sex or physical affection, I respect everyone’s choices and needs, I’m saying that I would be evil, not that everyone would be. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Pasha Kitty said:

Becca3891, this made me sad.  One day at a time, girlfriend.  

Thanks. :) It just infuriates me that people like her spend years planning on being a princess for a day and literally crying over nothing. I would give ANYTHING to be free from my trapped life of caring for my disabled mother, being overweight due to depression and emotional eating, and likely being alone forever. I'd be ecstatic to find love and would be thrilled with a zero cost wedding in a courthouse, wearing jeans. 

But I digress. Thanks to whoever posted the scary photo of Jill Rodrigues. It provided some much-needed laughter!

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Believe it or not, I made it to the halfway point of the video.  How much $$ do they make off this crap?

I couldn't take my eyes off of Jill. I really think her hair is worse off than Mechelle's. What a fried mess. She needs to shave it off & start new.  What is she wearing? It looks like a velour robe or dress over a tshirt nightgown.  Her shoes look like Mechelle's clodhoppers. There are no words for her Sharpee eyeliner and the rest of her clown makeup. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 9/29/2019 at 10:02 PM, awaken said:

That’s the ongoing mystery with this whole bunch, isn’t it?  We’d all love the answer to that $65,000 question!  

I have 1 kid.  Hubby and I both work and we're struggling to pay our bills.  Granted we live in NY and not Arkansas but still.

We would like to have another child but I don't think financially we can do it.

Edited by DkNNy79
1 hour ago, DkNNy79 said:

I have 1 kid.  Hubby and I both work and we're struggling to pay our bills.  Granted we live in NY and not Arkansas but still.

We would like to have another child but I don't think financially we can do it.

Easily done. Simply remove all the healthy nutritious food from your childrens' diet. Next deny them any and all educational opportunities including but not limited to college, organized sports and lessons. Also stop buying your children well made properly fitting new shoes and clothes that might actually fit and boost their self esteem levels. Lastly, and most importantly, deny them even the most basic of medical care. And don't forget, grifting is your friend. Why pay for something when you can get a sucker someone else to give it to you for free?

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

She does not look like she wants that hug from dad

It doesn't look like she hugged either parent back. I bet these children don't get any physical affection once they're done breastfeeding except an arm around their shoulders while being told to smile for the camera.

• Love 3

Why do these people drag out their untalented children to sing in church? Rarely is there a good voice in the bunch. It’s just embarrassing on so many levels.

The absolute worst “performers” were the Duggar children, sawing away at violins. Although each may be good at one instrument (Jana and Jinger on the piano and harp) none of them appeared to be a very good violinist.

Let’s face it parents, not every family is the Von Trap Family.

The Figi islands must be near Newtonville.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 13
  • Love 4