Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, there's a long and growing list of conservative Protestant seminaries, among other places, where leaders have been credibly accused of telling battered students and faculty wives to go back to that man, shut their mouths and do their duty. And a lot of women have apparently done that, with some finally breaking after a certain number of problems and trying to get help and leave (most haven't gotten any help). So it's certainly out there.

Maybe being on TeeVee quells it a bit? -- partly because there might be a greater fear of massive exposure and partly because the TeeVee money may remove some stress from the guys and also provide enough benefits for the women, compared to what they might have otherwise, to keep from spilling any beans about incidents?

But given that the Duggarlings argued "every family has this" after word of the Josh incident got out, many years after the fact, I expect they'd say the same if physical abuse of anyone were revealed

No matter what's visible on tv, a heck of a lot of things can be hidden.

Nobody seemed to notice for a long time that Whatshisname Willis was raping his kids, while parading them around as a big happy faith-filled singing group. Ditto, from a slightly different place, the father of the Five Browns. Those kids attended Juilliard, far from home, and performed all over the place for years before they decided to tell for fear he was planning to hurt others now that his own daughters were grown.....

And I expect that most wives in these families are, if anything, less likely to let stories of spouse abuse to get out than the kids are to let their abuse be known. Among other reasons, these are women who think it's sacrilegious for them to hold jobs. And they're mostly busy having a bunch of kids from very early on. I expect most would be scared witless to rat out a guy just because he punched them now and then, quite frankly. What would become of them? I doubt that many feel confident they'd be the ones getting solid support, even from their own families in many cases. 

Yeah, those are good points. Nobody does know what happens behind closed doors. 

• Love 6

Moved the giant discussion of Catholicism to the Old Time Religion Thread.

The rule of thumb is the same as always: if your post isn't MOSTLY about the subjects of the thread (in this case, the Bates and other Duggar-adjacent folks) then you are way off topic and should not be posting where you're posting. Please take all future religion discussion to the Old Time Religion thread.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Missionary Printer?! There’s a term you don’t hear every day.

That stood out to me, too. What a bizarre term to self-apply. Especially coming from D-Rod. 🙄

• Love 5

I put this on the Bates forum as well, but Rebecca "Becky" Keilen married Timothy "Tim" Forman on Saturday. Becky is Brandon Keilen's older sister. She is 33. She is the first of her sisters to marry and two of them are older. They seem like a typical fundie couple, but nice enough.

This has been a year for older fundie brides. Sarah Reith (30) and another fundie FJ follows married at older ages. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Temperance said:

I put this on the Bates forum as well, but Rebecca "Becky" Keilen married Timothy "Tim" Forman on Saturday. Becky is Brandon Keilen's older sister. She is 33. She is the first of her sisters to marry and two of them are older. They seem like a typical fundie couple, but nice enough.

This has been a year for older fundie brides. Sarah Reith (30) and another fundie FJ follows married at older ages. 

Maybe there’s hope for the poor Maxwell sisters after all. 

• Love 10

I do take it as sort of a good sign that the R kids are able to joke with their dad and everyone finds it funny- they seem like the type who would punish their kids for being irreverent towards their father.  Glad to know they can do little funny things and it's not all doom and gloom.  

• Love 18
10 hours ago, sondraK said:

I would think that with all the nice printing equipment he has,that David could get a few contracts going w local churches to print bulletins and such.But oh yeah,real work.Can't have that

Most churches buy blank bulletins & use their computer & printer to complete them. I'm pretty sure the cost of the ink and paper is cheaper than having David "custom" design a weekly bulletin.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

The Rodriguii are begging again.

5C13A014-3BCF-4AF7-B5C4-36D41C5B1319.jpeg

Random caps makes me think JRod was the actual author of this letter.  And what in the heck is a 'helps' ministry?  Is that in contrast to a 'hurts' ministry?  And who exactly is on their mission board?  Besides DRod and JRod?

• LOL 10
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Nysha said:

Most churches buy blank bulletins & use their computer & printer to complete them. I'm pretty sure the cost of the ink and paper is cheaper than having David "custom" design a weekly bulletin.

Yeah, my church and most other Catholic ones I've seen, have a bulletin template that they use which is found online and includes graphics and such.  Anyone with even a small amount of computer literacy can use it. 

I suppose David could try to get a contract from a church to print up their bulletins, but I doubt there's much of a market for it.

If you've seen any of the pamphlets they produce, they are amateurish and poor quality at best.  David not only doesn't work, but the voluntary 'mission' work he does do is not very good.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, irisheyes said:

Maybe there’s hope for the poor Maxwell sisters after all. 

Daddy Maxwell is never letting those women out of his sight.  Like the Botkin sisters, I don't expect any of them to marry while Daddy is still alive.  None of them seem likely to leave the fold voluntarily, so that will be their only chance, IMO.

Are the social workers allowed to pull the children aside & talk with them individually about what & how much they eat?  I don't care how large Jill's grocery bill is or how many groceries are in their cupboards but any person can tell who is getting the most food in that family just by looking  at David & Jill.

It does make me feel good there are others out there (besides us) that think the Rod children are being neglected.  There must have been plenty to warrant a visit from Social Services. 

• Love 24
18 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Are the social workers allowed to pull the children aside & talk with them individually about what & how much they eat?  I don't care how large Jill's grocery bill is or how many groceries are in their cupboards but any person can tell who is getting the most food in that family just by looking  at David & Jill.

It does make me feel good there are others out there (besides us) that think the Rod children are being neglected.  There must have been plenty to warrant a visit from Social Services. 

I understand what she means about children and obesity and maybe if she and David were thin you could chalk it up to genes etc..... but she looks healthy and David is very overfed, meanwhile the kids look like sacks of bones. I think after the whole Turpin thing, agencies are taking these situations VERY seriously. 

• Love 20
21 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

There must have been plenty to warrant a visit from Social Services. 

Not necessarily.  I can't speak for WV, but in my state EVERY call to CPS about suspected neglect/abuse is followed up on within 24 hours.  This is why some nasty people use it as a tool for harassment.  I worked in dependency and even though I think those kids are in a tough situation, I don't think they meet the bar of neglect/abuse.  There are children in far worse situations, unfortunately.  Calling on Jill only takes time away from them. 

• Love 21
1 hour ago, awaken said:

I do take it as sort of a good sign that the R kids are able to joke with their dad and everyone finds it funny- they seem like the type who would punish their kids for being irreverent towards their father.  Glad to know they can do little funny things and it's not all doom and gloom.  

That we know of. We have no idea what happened after the picture. I'm not even ruling out Jill set this up herself and not the kids. 

• Love 7

After years of seeing and reading about how malnourished the Rodrigues kids are, I've become very attuned to looking at the kids I see in groups like at school, parties, the park, etc.  I was at a back to school gathering a few weeks ago and about 90% of the kids there were Rodrigues slim.  I would have taken a photo except for invading the privacy of the kids and their families.  It was in an upscale area where fitness is prized and an obese person stands out.  At soccer practice, the parents are almost all on the thin side of average with one remarkably different mother who is morbidly obese.  She stands out more among the not heavy crowd.  I think the Rodrigues kids are the result of some unfortunate genetics in the dark shadows, deliberate photography at least at times by Jill to make herself look thinner and now it's a habit, and an unhealthy lifestyle.  I don't think any of the kids are low enough in weight to warrant a CPS intervention though.  They all look within the community standard for several areas where I live and where my family lives.  I have a young relative who is thinner than any Rodrigues kid and the pediatrician says he is just fine.  He eats more than I do most days.  He simply burns it off.

Not that I approve of how the Rodrigues family raises their kids, but I don't think they are violating any laws in what they're doing.  It's sad and one of those cases of perhaps there should be a law....

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
On 9/12/2019 at 7:36 AM, Churchhoney said:

But I do wonder about a guy taking that path when he also lives in a culture where it's almost certainly hard for him to have any actual sexual outlet.

Even in Lawson’s cultural milieu if he wanted to be having sex (with men or women) he would be. It’s always easier for guys to make their own “rules” than it is for similarly situated women. Lawson could be having a sexual thing with a secular girl/guy and keeping it a secret. IF he wants to be having partnered sex with someone I believe that he is. Religion or no. 

On 9/12/2019 at 6:09 PM, Normades said:

Do you think Lawson's parents justify his bachelorhood by thinking it would ruin his fanbase for that awesome singing career he has going.  BTW is that even a thing with him anymore?  If he is gay and found a way to avoid being pushed into a marriage with someone he's not attracted to, kudos to him.

That’s possible- but again Lawson is a man. He doesn’t HAVE to get married the same way a woman does- even in their circle. Society (their fundy one and our secular one) may give two looks to a young handsome guy that’s never been married by x age, but it’s not frowned on the same way it is for a woman. 

If Lawson is gay or even asexual, I commend him as you do for not marrying a woman and finding another path to happiness. 

• Love 7

Note that Jill called her “Christian Lawyer”. God forbid she gets one of those “Jewish Lawyers”. 

The kids go to a “Pediatrician Doctor”?!!! 

And Jill, you stated that “we” are tall and willowly”. If you are including your husband as part of “we”, then you are seriously deluded. David is obese and your children are skeletal. 

The Rodrigues children look EXACTLY like the Turpin children. 

• Love 18

I think if you have double digit kids who are stick thin AND you and your husband have no real employment as far as people can tell AND you fairly regularly beg for money on the internet...

it’s reasonable to wonder if the kids are being abusively underfed. 

While I doubt government workers have much time to read the internet as follow up on cases, JRod’s IG/Facebook/etc “ministry” is easily accessible and leads reasonable people to wonder about child abuse.

• Love 21
1 hour ago, Jayinmadison said:

I think if you have double digit kids who are stick thin AND you and your husband have no real employment as far as people can tell AND you fairly regularly beg for money on the internet...

it’s reasonable to wonder if the kids are being abusively underfed. 

While I doubt government workers have much time to read the internet as follow up on cases, JRod’s IG/Facebook/etc “ministry” is easily accessible and leads reasonable people to wonder about child abuse.

In addition to the bolded  are Jill’s comments about the older children choosing to fast and “one less chicken leg”, her bragging about how thin the girls are, the pictures with not nearly enough food on the table, and the fact that they travel to churches making the kids sing for their supper.  Given all that, I agree that it is not unreasonable to worry that the kids are not being adequately fed on a regular basis. I honestly suspect that the meals they are fed when they travel to sing at churches are what keep them from being malnourished or at least severely underweight. 

Edited by EVS
  • Love 19

There are plenty of people who are naturally slim and perfectly healthy, and yes it’s more common to be thin in certain circles- but it’s not just the kids are thin, they are ALL thin with bad complexions. They don’t look STRONG, even the teenaged boys who would likely be the most robust. The prepubescent kids are likely to be skinny but all the adolescents looking that way?!! 

I think they are probably genetically inclined to slimness AND getting small portions of food. 

• Love 18
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

There are plenty of people who are naturally slim and perfectly healthy, and yes it’s more common to be thin in certain circles- but it’s not just the kids are thin, they are ALL thin with bad complexions. They don’t look STRONG, even the teenaged boys who would likely be the most robust. The prepubescent kids are likely to be skinny but all the adolescents looking that way?!! 

I think they are probably genetically inclined to slimness AND getting small portions of food. 

Yeah, it's the adolescents that I wonder about too.

Plus, I think you'd need to see the kids in action -- what they do all day -- to tell whether they're building muscles and burning a bunch of calories or not. Kids can be very skinny while their bodies are doing those things. But they can also be 50-pound weaklings ... and those are two different things. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7

I do agree with @Absolom that Jill is manipulating her children to make them look skinnier in photographs.  I think she does this on purpose as part of their traveling ministry grift.  She presents this image of half-starved children for the lord as a way to get invitations to stop by like-minded churches.  They then pass around the plate for "love offerings" and the church ladies feed the family.  As long as their RV is operational, they will continue this grift.  

• Love 5
6 hours ago, doodlebug said:

They also agreed that continued future visits would be legally viewed as harrassment

This should be looked into by a superior, IMO. Those representatives have no place stating such a thing.

How many stories have there been of abuse discovered days or weeks after visits by children and youth, cps, etc? I’m not saying this is the case with Jill’s family. 

Jill of course made this into a catastrophic event. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

This should be looked into by a superior, IMO. Those representatives have no place stating such a thing.

How many stories have there been of abuse discovered days or weeks after visits by children and youth, cps, etc? I’m not saying this is the case with Jill’s family. 

Jill of course made this into a catastrophic event. 

I seriously doubt the representatives said anything about future visits or harassment.  I take anything Jill R. says with an Everest size piece of salt.

• Love 21

This also happened a while ago. Tim hasn't lived at home in over a year. Jill just likes to post this narrative from time to time when she's not being persecuted that week.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 24
1 minute ago, beagletime said:

I seriously doubt the representatives said anything about future visits or harassment.  I take anything Jill R. says with an Everest size piece of salt.

I was just going to post the same thing. They told the Rods nothing. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

This also happened a while ago. Tim hasn't lived at home in over a year. Jill just likes to post this narrative from time to time.

I was going to say, either I dreamed it or Jill posted this story not that long ago, and just added some details near the end. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

In my state many calls to DCF are "ruled out". To actually do a home visit there needs to be significant information provided to start the investigation.

same in my state - I have called to report my son twice - he was drunk and dropped a baby - they said "did he drop the baby in scalding water or anything, because people drop babies every day'.  I said no but there is a pattern of abusive behavior. no investigation. forward to this year and dropped baby is now 6, tells his camp counselor he wishes his dad would go to jail, details why. camp counselor reports, as he should and again nothing.

Edited by crazy8s
1 hour ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I think we'll know one way or another once Nurie is married off and has access to actual food. 

I worry about those kids once they do find food security. The older Duggars (especially Josh) do not have a healthy relationship with food. 

Yeah, because if Nurie gets less hollow-eyed, it'll be two for two in my opinion. Seemed to me Tim wasn't gone very long before he looked quite different. Still a slender person but not gaunt or emaciated looking any more. I know part of that was age, which definitely does change males at that point. But it happened very quickly, and to my eyes it happened to both his body and his face. It wasn't a huge change, but I swear I did see a change. 

• Love 14
8 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Yeah, because if Nurie gets less hollow-eyed, it'll be two for two in my opinion. Seemed to me Tim wasn't gone very long before he looked quite different. Still a slender person but not gaunt or emaciated looking any more. I know part of that was age, which definitely does change males at that point. But it happened very quickly, and to my eyes it happened to both his body and his face. It wasn't a huge change, but I swear I did see a change. 

Part of the change in Timmy may have been because he wasn’t “fasting” anymore.  See, I have a big problem with Jill encouraging growing kids to fast, and there’s no doubt in my mind that she strongly encourages the fasting that goes on in that house.  I also think that the children may be required to fast, pray and read the Bible for long periods of time as a form of discipline.  

• Love 7