Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

I'm posting at work where I can't access Instagram on the computer.  Sorry for the phone screenshot, but these knuckleheads cannot help themselves.  Bad enough to post pictures of people you take without their permission, but now they are giving away stranger's health information.  I'm sure my comment will be deleted, but I really have to ask.

image.png.fe91a432530f1803ff0abcba0dbfb245.png

• Love 11

Some news from various fundies:

Susanna Keller got married earlier this month. She and her fiance aren't fundie as far as I know. I wonder what Jill R thinks of the Kellers having several rebellious (non-fundie) kids. (3 out of 8; Daniel, Rebekah, and Susanna.)

Today is Chaney's 21st birthday. She and Trace look ready to announce a courtship/engagement any day now. 

And yes I'm wary of the Bates playing rescue workers. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Aww, look at pretty boy's badge on full display.

Why, oh why, would Poser Bates need to wear his meaningless dollar-store badge to a completely unrelated event in a foreign country? (This is a rhetorical question.) 

• LOL 4
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm posting at work where I can't access Instagram on the computer.  Sorry for the phone screenshot, but these knuckleheads cannot help themselves.  Bad enough to post pictures of people you take without their permission, but now they are giving away stranger's health information.  I'm sure my comment will be deleted, but I really have to ask.

image.png.fe91a432530f1803ff0abcba0dbfb245.png

Thanks for asking!  Are you blocked yet? Any response?

• Love 6
8 hours ago, awaken said:

Thanks for asking!  Are you blocked yet? Any response?

I just checked and no response.  But, I'm not blocked,  my comment is still there, and no leghumper has chastised me.  I know they are not in America, but they should know about HIPPA and follow the law.  

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Ah, well, you see Ann Boleyn was a supporter of the reformation and strongly encouraged Henry to break with the ebil Catholic Church.  She actively campaigned against the Catholic clergy in England and worked towards the imprisonment and execution of several of them.  And, of course, this had nothing to do with the fact that Henry's first wife was a devout Catholic, her nephew was close pals with the Pope and there was no way he was going to get an annulment to marry Ann from the Church.  No sirreee! Ann was just a good Christian woman who believed in the correct Jesus and hated Catholics as any good fundie woman should.

I'm bringing this over here where it would fit better.  I will say that the Botkins are not wrong to revere Ann as a Protestant icon just not really a martyr.  In order for her to be martyr, you would have to disavow Henry and Thomas Cromwell.  I can't see the Botkins actually doing this even though Henry's reasons for creating the Church of England were entirely selfish.  How do you square the man who broke with the ebil Catholic Church only because he wanted a new wife, and threw away Ann when he decided he wanted Jane Seymour instead with the idea of him creating the "right" church?  With him and Cromwell dissolving the monasteries to add to the royal coffers and to reward sycophants,  they made the life of the regular Englishman worse.  Gone were the almshouses where a poor man or woman could get some food, a bed for the night, or a little money to tide them over.  Also, Henry's reign saw the beginning of enclosures where wealthy landowners kicked out their tenants and took away common lands in order to graze their sheep.  It was time where the rich were getting richer and the poor were getting poorer and the loss of Catholic institutions made this even worse.  But, people were praying to the "right" Jesus so I guess their earthly misery was a-okay in the Botkins's book.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

How do you square the man who broke with the ebil Catholic Church only because he wanted a new wife, and threw away Ann when he decided he wanted Jane Seymour instead with the idea of him creating the "right" church?  With him and Cromwell dissolving the monasteries to add to the royal coffers and to reward sycophants,  they made the life of the regular Englishman worse.  Gone were the almshouses where a poor man or woman could get some food, a bed for the night, or a little money to tide them over.  Also, Henry's reign saw the beginning of enclosures where wealthy landowners kicked out their tenants and took away common lands in order to graze their sheep.  It was time where the rich were getting richer and the poor were getting poorer and the loss of Catholic institutions made this even worse.  But, people were praying to the "right" Jesus so I guess their earthly misery was a-okay in the Botkins's book.

Every time I see this I think of the actress and figure she was probably way hotter than Ann.

Henry's reign probably resonates with these Trump-loving Republicans who believe that praying to the "right" Jesus is more important than food, shelter, health-care, and overall quality of life.

• Love 12
On 9/3/2019 at 2:56 PM, Lunera said:

Lawson and some of the Bates boys also went to Puerto Rico after hurricane Maria. He sure loves taking pictures with poor brown kids. I don't think they did anything useful for those people. It was all a photo op. 

We should just rename them "Photo Op Boys."

• LOL 6
22 hours ago, Temperance said:

Some news from various fundies:

Susanna Keller got married earlier this month. She and her fiance aren't fundie as far as I know. I wonder what Jill R thinks of the Kellers having several rebellious (non-fundie) kids. (3 out of 8; Daniel, Rebekah, and Susanna.)

Today is Chaney's 21st birthday. She and Trace look ready to announce a courtship/engagement any day now. 

And yes I'm wary of the Bates playing rescue workers. 

I can't see Jill saying a WORD being so close to her precious Nurie becoming a practical Duggar err I mean Keller. Jill is about to enter into Fundy Royality status, (in her dreams) she's not going to mess that up!

Just now, Fuzzysox said:

I can't see Jill saying a WORD being so close to her precious Nurie becoming a practically a  Duggar err I mean Keller. Jill is about to enter into Fundy Royality status, (in her dreams) she's not going to mess that up! 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm bringing this over here where it would fit better.  I will say that the Botkins are not wrong to revere Ann as a Protestant icon just not really a martyr.  In order for her to be martyr, you would have to disavow Henry and Thomas Cromwell.  I can't see the Botkins actually doing this even though Henry's reasons for creating the Church of England were entirely selfish.  How do you square the man who broke with the ebil Catholic Church only because he wanted a new wife, and threw away Ann when he decided he wanted Jane Seymour instead with the idea of him creating the "right" church?  With him and Cromwell dissolving the monasteries to add to the royal coffers and to reward sycophants,  they made the life of the regular Englishman worse.  Gone were the almshouses where a poor man or woman could get some food, a bed for the night, or a little money to tide them over.  Also, Henry's reign saw the beginning of enclosures where wealthy landowners kicked out their tenants and took away common lands in order to graze their sheep.  It was time where the rich were getting richer and the poor were getting poorer and the loss of Catholic institutions made this even worse.  But, people were praying to the "right" Jesus so I guess their earthly misery was a-okay in the Botkins's book.

Well, you see, Ann is a martyr because she clung to her faith while ebil Catholics, including the Seymours, plotted against her because she was a reformer.  And, the ebil Catholics were mainly angry at her because it was her fault that Henry split from Catholicism and declared that he was head of the Church in England.  Had nothing at all to do with Ann and her family's machinations and power hunger, or her own desire to use her position as Queen to punish her enemies, many of them Catholics who were not loving the reformation. At least, I think that's how the Botkins justify their position.  Not saying that there isn't a grain of truth there, but, obviously, there is a whole lot more to the story including the fact that many of these people based their religious belief on whatever was politically expedient for them.  And frequently switched back and forth depending on Henry's whim.

• Love 6
On 9/9/2019 at 12:49 PM, galaxygirl76 said:

Can someone refresh my memory as to what exactly the badge signifies?  Certainly would not be valid IN ANOTHER COUNTRY. 🙄 I know it wasn't from ALERT, because no way would Lawson ever voluntarily shave his head.

And I have to wonder how his brother Zach, who is a genuine law enforcement officer, feels about little bro playing dress up.  I'm pretty sure the real police officers are not happy with rent-a-cops.

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Can someone refresh my memory as to what exactly the badge signifies?  Certainly would not be valid IN ANOTHER COUNTRY. 

He's a reserve (volunteer) for the  local sheriff's department. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Hot damn. Carlin joins the "Got pregnant on the first try" club.

I know why but whyyyyyy. If you're going to hold out for sex at least have some sex that won't lead to procreation for a bit. Unless you're aiming to train your headship to be a one minute man. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I know why but whyyyyyy. If you're going to hold out for sex at least have some sex that won't lead to procreation for a bit. Unless you're aiming to train your headship to be a one minute man. 

I think that may be what some of them are doing. Always remember Meeechelle's cheer-up words about sex: It doesn't take long! 

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
On 9/9/2019 at 2:49 PM, galaxygirl76 said:

Pimp Momma Jill is probably salivating over the fact that Lawson is available. I bet she goes to sleep every night dreaming of ways to get close to him to push one of her girls his way! 

• LOL 8
3 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

Pimp Momma Jill is probably salivating over the fact that Lawson is available. I bet she goes to sleep every night dreaming of ways to get close to him to push one of her girls his way! 

Surely he has his sights set higher than that. 

• Love 12
11 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

And once again I feel so bad for Michaela. She was the one that wanted a handful of kids and she can't have any yet. Must be heartbreaking to see everyone get pregnant on their honeymoon.

• Love 10
14 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Carlin looks like she just ate a big lunch.

That's the pose I take when lunch is about to exit my body at high speed.  If not for the smirk on her face, I'd think this was an ad for Pepto Bismol.

• LOL 14

To be honest, I am so bored with all of these threads/forums. (I have nieces that are in the same “season” as these fundies so I get to see this same stuff in person.)

I only check the forums for news on Nurie’s courtship/engagement and wedding. Haha. Morbid curiosity. Ya know like an awful taffeta, long sleeve, high neck, caterwauling, cake-make-up-ed, high hair and long haired, CAPITALIZED, whisper voiced, keeping sweet car wreck. 

But I do wish for an escape for Nurie. Like Pants wearing, get outta town escape! 

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

No way Lawson will marry a Rodrigues girl.  He does not think they are attractive enough for his boy band looks. 

😹

I don't see Lawson ever getting married.  I think he enjoys the attention he gets from everyone speculating on his love life.  Once he gets married that will all end. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't see Lawson ever getting married.  I think he enjoys the attention he gets from everyone speculating on his love life.  Once he gets married that will all end. 

Plus, if he married a fundie girl like Mullet Duggar or his sister Erin, there wouldn't be enough hairspray left over in his household for Lawson to coat his own hair. Imagine Lawson with flat hair! 

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That seems accurate to me. But I do wonder about a guy taking that path when he also lives in a culture where it's almost certainly hard for him to have any actual sexual outlet.

I assume they do what they can to ignore the anti-masturbation prohibition. (although that can't be all that easy either, compared to the way it is for most people, since they tend to live and move in large groups in smallish spaces, with their parents part of the crowd an alarming amount of the time)

But I wonder how many guys would actually sentence themselves to a lifetime of high difficulty when it comes to finding any sex partners at all. Although I suppose he could just be a person who's naturally a bit asexual. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, wait.what said:

To be honest, I am so bored with all of these threads/forums. (I have nieces that are in the same “season” as these fundies so I get to see this same stuff in person.)

I only check the forums for news on Nurie’s courtship/engagement and wedding. Haha. Morbid curiosity. Ya know like an awful taffeta, long sleeve, high neck, caterwauling, cake-make-up-ed, high hair and long haired, CAPITALIZED, whisper voiced, keeping sweet car wreck. 

But I do wish for an escape for Nurie. Like Pants wearing, get outta town escape! 

Ma and Pa Keller severely indoctrinated the younger two boys after having the others leave fundamentalism. Nurie ain't wearing pants.

The best we can hope for is Nurie doesn't follow her mother's parenting (or lack thereof) and decides to lead a private life. 

1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

I'm just going to go ahead and say it:  Aside from being the male version of Erin, I suspect Lawson would rather have a husband than a wife.  If my suspicions are correct then I feel sorry for the guy, insufferable as he is.  

I find it very telling that they were in a rush to get Zach and the other daughters married off but Lawson and Nathan are still trucking along in their bachelorhood. It would not surprise me one bit if Lawson is gay. He may be lucky and not be pressured into marrying like a certain few fundie children here were. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I find it very telling that they were in a rush to get Zach and the other daughters married off but Lawson and Nathan are still trucking along in their bachelorhood. It would not surprise me one bit if Lawson is gay. He may be lucky and not be pressured into marrying like a certain few fundie children here were. 

Do you think Lawson's parents justify his bachelorhood by thinking it would ruin his fanbase for that awesome singing career he has going.  BTW is that even a thing with him anymore?  If he is gay and found a way to avoid being pushed into a marriage with someone he's not attracted to, kudos to him.

• Love 12

Kelly Bates was actually tongue-tied in trying to answer a what-if question about her children being gay. I'm thinking her children "don't believe in it" either.

Very, very sad. What are the odds that 38 children - 19 Duggars and 19 Bates - are all hetero?

• Love 8
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Kelly Bates was actually tongue-tied in trying to answer a what-if question about her children being gay. I'm thinking her children "don't believe in it" either.

Very, very sad. What are the odds that 38 children - 19 Duggars and 19 Bates - are all hetero?

Wow- did someone ask and put her on the spot to answer?

3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Let's use the self reported statistics that 5.1% of females in the US identify as lesbian and 3.9% of men identify as gay. This may be incorrect and I beg forgiveness if I'm using the wrong chance formula. It's late and I'm tired. 

The chance all 19 daughters are heterosexual is 37% and the chance all 19 sons are heterosexual is 46%. Now this is ignoring societal factors and all that. But outlook is not so good if any of the Duggar or Bates kidlets are gay. 

Lawson and Nathan were lucky in that they had a gaggle of sisters willing to be married off for the TeeVee. The Duggars had the J'Slaves and Joy. Once all of them (minus Jana) were married off, the boys had to take that spot. Johanna on down are still children and I'm pretty sure even TLC is not willing to go down the child bride route for ratings. And they've gone down a lot of routes.

As an aside I got to enjoy a variety of TLC programming for free for three weeks. Oh my god. I kept saying to myself "They cannot get any lower" and then I would see the next show. Yes. They went even lower. And why is Say Yes to the Dress on Saturdays now? Bah. More Randy Fenoli shows and less Family Chantal please. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, awaken said:

Wow- did someone ask and put her on the spot to answer?

It was filmed for the show. I can't remember if it was talking heads or a viewer Q & A type thing. I'm sure someone can find it. It might have been the same show when she said Jesus drank juice and not wine.

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

It was filmed for the show. I can't remember if it was talking heads or a viewer Q & A type thing. I'm sure someone can find it. It might have been the same show when she said Jesus drank juice and not wine.

I'm not doubting it happened  but am surprised that question got put through. I would think the questions would be screened & known ahead of time so they would be better prepared.  But knowing or not knowing,  it sounds like she stumbled through the answer. I hope someone finds it.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Kelly once said that she would steer her children into believing that marriage is between and man and a woman. (something to that effect) I saw the video.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
On 9/11/2019 at 8:50 PM, wait.what said:

I've been missing for a while but I'm here now because I NEED to see what Pimp Momma Jill will be wearing to Nurie's wedding. How many bets that she will be wearing a tiara?

• LOL 10
  • Love 1

I’ve been wondering about something and i’m not sure if this is the right thread, but what the hell. What do you think would happen if one of these fundie marriages were to devolve into spousal abuse? Like full-on physical battering? Say Josiah (I’m not at all saying I think he’s violent, I just picked him at random) were to start beating Lauren and break her jaw or something. Would that be an acceptable reason to end the relationship? Would one of the “elders” intervene and insist on treatment for the batterer? Or would it just be swept under the rug?

I’m asking because it frankly kind of surprises me that in such a patriarchal culture spousal abuse isn’t more common. I can’t think of a single Duggar, Bates, or other high-profile fundie marriage where physical abuse has been seriously alleged or suspected. I’m sure there’s some emotional and psychological abuse going on in some of those marriages, but no physical abuse. And while I don’t know about the in-laws, it’s hard for me to imagine JB or Gil knowing someone was repeatedly beating one of their girls and just shrugging it off. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

I’ve been wondering about something and i’m not sure if this is the right thread, but what the hell. What do you think would happen if one of these fundie marriages were to devolve into spousal abuse? Like full-on physical battering? Say Josiah (I’m not at all saying I think he’s violent, I just picked him at random) were to start beating Lauren and break her jaw or something. Would that be an acceptable reason to end the relationship? Would one of the “elders” intervene and insist on treatment for the batterer? Or would it just be swept under the rug?

I’m asking because it frankly kind of surprises me that in such a patriarchal culture spousal abuse isn’t more common. I can’t think of a single Duggar, Bates, or other high-profile fundie marriage where physical abuse has been seriously alleged or suspected. I’m sure there’s some emotional and psychological abuse going on in some of those marriages, but no physical abuse. And while I don’t know about the in-laws, it’s hard for me to imagine JB or Gil knowing someone was repeatedly beating one of their girls and just shrugging it off. 

I think it would be handled the same way Josh's 'indiscretion' was handled.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, mynextmistake said:

Well, there's a long and growing list of conservative Protestant seminaries, among other places, where leaders have been credibly accused of telling battered students and faculty wives to go back to that man, shut their mouths and do their duty. And a lot of women have apparently done that, with some finally breaking after a certain number of problems and trying to get help and leave (most haven't gotten any help). So it's certainly out there.

Maybe being on TeeVee quells it a bit? -- partly because there might be a greater fear of massive exposure and partly because the TeeVee money may remove some stress from the guys and also provide enough benefits for the women, compared to what they might have otherwise, to keep from spilling any beans about incidents?

But given that the Duggarlings argued "every family has this" after word of the Josh incident got out, many years after the fact, I expect they'd say the same if physical abuse of anyone were revealed

No matter what's visible on tv, a heck of a lot of things can be hidden.

Nobody seemed to notice for a long time that Whatshisname Willis was raping his kids, while parading them around as a big happy faith-filled singing group. Ditto, from a slightly different place, the father of the Five Browns. Those kids attended Juilliard, far from home, and performed all over the place for years before they decided to tell for fear he was planning to hurt others now that his own daughters were grown.....

And I expect that most wives in these families are, if anything, less likely to let stories of spouse abuse to get out than the kids are to let their abuse be known. Among other reasons, these are women who think it's sacrilegious for them to hold jobs. And they're mostly busy having a bunch of kids from very early on. I expect most would be scared witless to rat out a guy just because he punched them now and then, quite frankly. What would become of them? I doubt that many feel confident they'd be the ones getting solid support, even from their own families in many cases. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
On 9/12/2019 at 7:36 AM, Churchhoney said:

That seems accurate to me. But I do wonder about a guy taking that path when he also lives in a culture where it's almost certainly hard for him to have any actual sexual outlet.

But I wonder how many guys would actually sentence themselves to a lifetime of high difficulty when it comes to finding any sex partners at all. Although I suppose he could just be a person who's naturally a bit asexual. 

I'm hoping he's somehow figured out how to have (consensual) hook-ups with non-fundies (male or female or both, whatever he's into) with no one being none the wiser to it.  Maybe his "music career" allows him a little more autonomy and access to more worldly people (who may in turn lead him to see what BS Fundie-ism is once he never becomes the huge music star he thinks he will be and his looks start to fade...and then he'll write a tell-all book because he's a fame whore and will want that adulation/praise/money). 

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

I'm hoping he's somehow figured out how to have (consensual) hook-ups with non-fundies (male or female or both, whatever he's into) with no one being none the wiser to it.  Maybe his "music career" allows him a little more autonomy and access to more worldly people (who may in turn lead him to see what BS Fundie-ism is once he never becomes the huge music star he thinks he will be and his looks start to fade...and then he'll write a tell-all book because he's a fame whore and will want that adulation/praise/money). 

I like it. That'd be a happy ending for him for the public, at least, if not for the still-Gothard-faithfuls he's related to! 

• Love 4