Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Maybe Gil's current view is that you need to homeschool your kids through high school and let them learn some useful skill/occupation at a "college" level after that.

notice only the daughters went to further "school" and changed their way of dressing. a few of the girls married a guy learning a trade.

Gil Bates upped the Duggar game - he did not want the Ben and Derricks of fundie land for his girls. no real ambition or forever 'in school"

Would John, etc have been interested in a Bates girl if they were still wearing the prairie dresses?

• Love 6

so some duggars and bates are off to save the Bahamas-

do not confuse their mediccorps - with the real medicorp who do real work.

these guys seem to be there for show - lawson always first 69711646_2252153278216802_8371694607766913024_n.jpg.dae5984ff0ed48d33608b8e40900ca0f.jpg

Edited by crazy8s
can't spell sometimes
  • Love 2

Lawson and some of the Bates boys also went to Puerto Rico after hurricane Maria. He sure loves taking pictures with poor brown kids. I don't think they did anything useful for those people. It was all a photo op. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, crazy8s said:

so some duggars and bates are off to save the Bahamas-

do not confuse their mediccorps - with the real medicorp who do real work.

these guys seem to be there for show - lawson always first 69711646_2252153278216802_8371694607766913024_n.jpg.dae5984ff0ed48d33608b8e40900ca0f.jpg

in hindsight, how was it even possible for them to have flown into the bahamas with the hurricane still essentially in the 'neighborhood'?

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I don't think it matters what Kelly thinks. Gil is the headship. What the kids do is up to him, not Kelly. Gil is very prominent in IBLP (he was on the Board of Directors, maybe still is?) which is Bill Gothard's creation. Maybe Gil's current view is that you need to homeschool your kids through high school and let them learn some useful skill/occupation at a "college" level after that. 

What they reveal publicly for cable TV mass consumption is certainly a scrubbed-up watered-down version of their lives and beliefs. Their older daughters seem to have moved past Bill Gothard's 1980's fashion frumpery dictates, which is of course just literally window dressing that signifies nothing significant about their beliefs.

I agree that Gothard sold 'the man is the headship' and its likely Gil & JB believe it to a degree. However, there have been more than a few subtle moments caught on film where its clear that Kelly and Michelle call a lot of the shots.

The Bates didn't discuss education that much in the early years, however they did discuss following old school socially constructed roles, as well as courting, in the early years and addressed it again more recently. In the beginning they followed Gothard's rules in regard to courtship to a T. In later years they haven't. So while it certainly doesn't indicate a change in their hardcore Fundy beliefs, it does show a change in some Gothard imposed beliefs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
33 minutes ago, zoomama said:

in hindsight, how was it even possible for them to have flown into the bahamas with the hurricane still essentially in the 'neighborhood'?

I'm guessing they flew into one of the more southern islands which are not getting a direct impact at this time.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I'm guessing they flew into one of the more southern islands which are not getting a direct impact at this time.

I'm guessing you're right. Below is a picture of the airport runway in Abaco.

DorianBahamas6.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

From their website:

Corps

We are a team of believers in Jesus Christ, bonded together in purpose, using the highly technical skills we have been given to serve, equip and train so that as one corps of Filipino and MEDIC staff we can reach the un-reached with the help they need both physical, but more importantly spiritual.

3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

From their website:

Corps

We are a team of believers in Jesus Christ, bonded together in purpose, using the highly technical skills we have been given to serve, equip and train so that as one corps of Filipino and MEDIC staff we can reach the un-reached with the help they need both physical, but more importantly spiritual.

Jill will pray for the baby's delivery she botches. Really, it's what's most important.

• Love 1

trying to find the pic that showed 5 followers for the earlier post, the one that tagged joy and sierra. both bates family and duggar official have promoted today and now 54 followers. twitter 6 followers - this is a brand new grift it seems

13 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

From their website:

Corps

I think Lawson needs to edit that page. This is a page from when they did medic services in the Philippines. Dumbasses.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4

Reading the Bates board, apparently Lawson made NBC Nightly News talking about the devastation as he saw it flying in. It hasn't aired yet on the west coast, so I can take one for the team and see if this is legit.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Will they be singing and handing out bibles? 😆

Hopefully, and painting nails and handing out dum dums as well. Maybe David R could print up some tracts for them to hand out in the hurricane zone? 

Does anyone know if this medicorps is a legitimate organization offering actual help? 

And you know Lawson is absolutely thrilled to be on the news and have his face get more exposure! They are soaking up the accolades on Instagram! 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, awaken said:

Hopefully, and painting nails and handing out dum dums as well. Maybe David R could print up some tracts for them to hand out in the hurricane zone? 

Does anyone know if this medicorps is a legitimate organization offering actual help? 

And you know Lawson is absolutely thrilled to be on the news and have his face get more exposure! They are soaking up the accolades on Instagram! 

Oh God, I hope he doesn’t wind up painting Jana’s kitchen white over this.  If you catch my drift… 

• LOL 2
16 minutes ago, awaken said:

MediCorps is a legit organization but that's not theirs. They use the name MedicCorps and I wouldn't be surprised if it is for maximum confusion so they can benefit to get donations.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

He's walking around like he's king Douche. That airport looks way too clean to have been in or near a major hurricane.

Yep, it is pretty obvious that he and his 'relief team' are well out of harm's way and probably haven't even left the airport yet.  Big heroes.

Anyone who has ever been involved in a natural disaster can tell you that one of the worst parts of the whole experience is dealing with the famewhores and lookeyloos who come out of the woodwork to draw attention to themselves; wasting time and effort that is in such short supply anyway.  These guys are on a glorified Missioncation and I don't doubt they will find a Holiday Inn with electricity and running water to conduct their ministry.

• Love 17

I don’t know what they’re going to do. Unless they brought MREs and water, there’s nothing to do. Right now, they just need the water to recede. Why not let the experts come in first who can ship vast quantities of supplies, then come in a couple of months to help communities rebuild. Pretty sure they could contact a local church and help them rebuild. 

• Love 22

They need to take a page out of Bethenny Frenkel’s book.  Last year she hauled jets and jets full of supplies and food over to Puerto Rico, and called on her rich celebrity friends to donate planes and supplies.  She instagrammed the whole thing for publicity and was actually WORKING.  She was able to get tons done and used her social media to spread awareness and to get donations.  There was no question of her intentions and it was amazing to watch. 

These morons are probably still posing at the airport.

At least they’ve done more than the President. I guess. 

• Love 23

Bethenny texted today that she has approval from the BAHAMIAN govt. (not Bohemian, Mechelle) to fly her planes filled with things like water, diapers, chainsaws, and generators (amongst other necessities) to the affected areas. 

What is the Bates/Duggar contingent going to do? Pray?

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 19
47 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Is there an actual useful purpose to this trip, or is this just an opportunity for Lawson and his fellow beta males to take glamour shots amidst the destruction?

I'm going to go with glamour shots.

Screenshot_20190903-193704_Instagram-1080x1714.thumb.jpg.e7b06e8832e8efb05d80bae78a8adefc.jpg

• LOL 14
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

I don’t know what they’re going to do. Unless they brought MREs and water, there’s nothing to do. Right now, they just need the water to recede. Why not let the experts come in first who can ship vast quantities of supplies, then come in a couple of months to help communities rebuild. Pretty sure they could contact a local church and help them rebuild. 

Doing this would involve insufficient phony glory. 

Also, it would involve making actual donations and doing actual work. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Bethenny texted today that she has approval from the BAHAMIAN govt. (not Bohemian, Mechelle) to fly her planes filled with things like water, diapers, chainsaws, and generators (amongst other necessities) to the affected areas. 

What is the Bates/Duggar contingent going to do? Pray?

No handout candy, basketballs and paint nails. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Zella said:

This whole thing really grosses me out and honestly makes me sick to my stomach.

I have never volunteered to assist after a natural disaster--freely admit I would be useless. But I volunteer all the time for charity events, and if you're legitimately working one of those, you don't have time to be posing for pictures because you're running your ass off. In fact, every event I have ever been at, the volunteers are actively annoyed when the camera comes out because nobody has time for that shit. 

I can't even imagine how much more that would be true in a natural disaster situation, where people's homes and lives and the literal infrastructure of the location have been absolutely devastated. 

I can't even really articulate how much this pisses me off. 

Been there.

I was walking up my driveway, past what was left of my home, toward the backyard where the contents of my house and other folks' property lay in a jumbled, wet and broken mess, when a gawker actually shouldered me over to walk past me. If I wasn't still in a devastated sort of shock, I would have asked her to get off my property. 

She didn't have gloves, no food or water, no kind words ... just a fucking phone to take pictures of what was my home, the home I raised my babies in, the home that was beyond repair, the home I would never be able to return to, the home that I needed badly because that was the place where I could figure things out, gather my family and move through illnesses, deaths and whatever else life threw at me.

The woman who shouldered me out of the way, went home to her intact house where she had clothes, a bed and walls and a picture on her phone of what was once a house filled with love, memories and a family.

So, yes, what the Duggar/Bates are doing strikes a nerve in me as well.

Edited by GeeGolly

My stomach always turns when I see people using disaster situations for their own benefit.  What have any of these people been doing in their own communities to help those who are less fortunate?  Most likely nothing at all.  I'm actually reserving any specific criticism about the Duggar/Bates rescue mission until I see how it all plays out.  On one hand, I give them credit as they have the time and resources to actually go and do something, which is a lot more than most people, but I can't help but think that it will turn into a huge "Look at me doing God's work" photo shoot.   News reports indicate that the Freeport area is literal devastation.  If they manage to get to that area, they certainly won't be having a vacation, that's for sure.   Watching and waiting.....

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I'd say their expressions in the tornado glamour shot clearly show exactly what their intentions and behavior are like. They're all about self-aggrandizement and nothing but. And that fact is all over their smug mugs and poses.

Not a glimmer of empathy, humility, seriousness, concern or anything other than arrogance and being oh so impressed with themselves and preening for the lens. (...and no sense at all that they're joking around with the arrogant posing...)

These are God's speshul people. No doubt about it. All you other losers get out of the way. Anybody I've ever seen looking like that turns out on further acquaintance to be somebody I end up loathing. 

They're more offensive-looking than the Duggars, except for Jim Bob and teenage Josh.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 20

Hurricane Andrew here...total devastation. The LAST thing we needed or wanted were a bunch of idiots trying to do repairs and wander around preaching. Repairs to what? It was freaking gone. As others have said...cue Bethenny Frankel. Send help with immediate necessities. The government doesn't need to take care of you when you inevitably fuck something up.

• Love 18
17 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Why are idiots like Duggar’s and Bates procreate like bunnies? 

Guess normal ones should start having huge families to balance things out.

I find all religions cult like so excuse my rant.

I'm with you on that last line.  Fascinating and disgusting at the same time.  I just can't get with the endless breeding that fundies and other cults encourage.

• Love 8
47 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Why are idiots like Duggar’s and Bates procreate like bunnies? 

Guess normal ones should start having huge families to balance things out.

I find all religions cult like so excuse my rant.

I believe they're building an army for God. I feel like I read that somewhere at one point. 

Those Bates' boys are insufferable. I though Jim Boob's boys were bad but they got nothing on Lawson and crew. 

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 14