Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Hon! Two brothers. They were probably still saying that on the birthday date! 

The darker haired one is cute - and he’s younger? As I think I said before, I like a long, lanky runner’s build, but these people are sick! 

Shes very Michelle-ish. The most you can say about the kid is his love of God? Thank you for loving God? My kids would kill me and demand a steak. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Anna Duggar's oldest sister Esther Shrader is pregnant with #12. She and her husband are missionaries in Africa and he writes poetry.  

Esther Keller Shrader is the oldest of the 8 Keller kids. Then it's Rebekah and Daniel (who are not fundie), Priscilla Waller (married to David), Anna Duggar, (married to Josh), Suze (not fundie), Nathan (courting Nurie), and David. 

Isn't Esther of the Popup Camper pushing forty by now? What's the Keller Grandkid Kount? 

5 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Isn't Esther of the Popup Camper pushing forty by now? What's the Keller Grandkid Kount? 

According to fundiewiki, she is 38. They have 11 kids. Priscilla and David have 4. Josh and Anna have 5 and one on the way. From the fundies that gives 20 grandkids with 2 on the way. 

From the ex-fundies: Daniel has one with his ex-wife. Rebekah has 2 from her first marriage and Suze has one. They have four. 

24 and counting! 

• Useful 3
16 minutes ago, Temperance said:

According to fundiewiki, she is 38. They have 11 kids. Priscilla and David have 4. Josh and Anna have 5 and one on the way. From the fundies that gives 20 grandkids with 2 on the way. 

From the ex-fundies: Daniel has one with his ex-wife. Rebekah has 2 from her first marriage and Suze has one. They have four. 

24 and counting! 

Who can name all their names, for snark value? 

I only know a few Wallers (Paul, Davia, Phillip) and the Smuggars (Mackynzie, Michael, Marcus, Meredith, Mason). 

(edited)
1 minute ago, dargosmydaddy said:

The Shrader kids are Enoch, Alatheia, Timothy, Nehemiah, Agape, Elijah, Charis, Sophia, Stephen, Isaiah, and Caleb, per Fundie Wiki.

Okay I seriously cracked up on Agape. Poor kid. I just envision people pronouncing it as "uh-gayp." Just crying out for a twin named Ajar. 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 20
  • Love 1
(edited)

What faux Zambian middle name are they going to give this one?

Also the oldest isn't that far from 18. He's not going to be able to stay in Zambia on the family visa, correct?

Edited by PikaScrewChu
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

The Shrader kids are Enoch, Alatheia, Timothy, Nehemiah, Agape, Elijah, Charis, Sophia, Stephen, Isaiah, and Caleb, per Fundie Wiki.

So the boys get names of people in the Bible, but the girls get stuck with whatever Greek word Daddy picked out of his Greek New Testament. I mean, there’s TONS of women in the Bible too. Why saddle your daughter with a name like Alatheia while your son gets Stephen?

• Love 11
9 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

So the boys get names of people in the Bible, but the girls get stuck with whatever Greek word Daddy picked out of his Greek New Testament. I mean, there’s TONS of women in the Bible too. Why saddle your daughter with a name like Alatheia while your son gets Stephen?

This is a weird trend I have noticed with some of the fundies I know. The boys will get fairly normal Biblical names but the girls will get really eccentric ones, either Biblical or not. One family I knew had really old-fashioned Biblical names for the boys but trendy modern ones for the girls. The names just didn't seem like the were part of a set of siblings at all!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Heathen said:

I only know a few Wallers (Paul, Davia, Phillip) and the Smuggars (Mackynzie, Michael, Marcus, Meredith, Mason). 

Who could ever forget Phillip on the chopping block?  Two day old Phillip stuffed into tight manly khakis and buttoned up to the throat shirt being photographed on a stump and in a dump truck, and in obvious distress?

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, louannems said:

Who could ever forget Phillip on the chopping block?

I had to go find these because I was curious and oh my gosh is that the most awkward newborn shoot.

Good newborn shoots make the baby look content and snuggly, but poor Philip just looks upset and uncomfortable. In some shots he looks like he's crying, and most of them just have him face down on something. And the baby sized adult clothes are just silly. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Both of my grandsons are very thin - bony - and they are good eaters.  But they look healthy!  Their bodies are thin but their faces are not gaunt. These children do not look right. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Sophia must be grateful she dodged a bullet. She could have been Dorcas (not that she would ever attend public school and be teased about her name). 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, sleepysuzy said:

CPS showed up at the Rod home, according to Jill, and someone also called police on them in Florida about the kids. She posted a long diatribe about the kids being naturally thin and well-fed, and about having multiple visits from CPS over the years that have cleared them of abuse or neglect. 

All I can say is, thank God someone did/does.

I mean, eventually you'd think they would catch on that if everyone thinks your kids are emaciated and worthy of a CPS visit that they probably are; but I'm glad to know the general population with eyes does care.

• Love 6

Multiple visits from CPS? 

Wouldnt one visit be unusual and multiple concerning? 

As parent I’d be concerned if people thought I warranted a visit from CPS and if I’d had multiple I’d have done some serious looking at my parenting 

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Heathen said:

Destiny Waller is the youngest Waller. 

• Love 2

In a perfect world, CPS would have the time and resources to help kids like the Rods, but I've worked in Dependency court in another state.  Those kids have shelter, some food, and appear clean.  I don't see CPS doing too much with them other than visiting and promptly closing the investigation.  It's good that they're on the radar, but I don't see any real help coming their way through them.  Unfortunately, there are so many kids in much, much worse situations.  It's hard to see these kids who look malnourished and stressed, but they would not be a priority in my state and I've heard there are real problems with opiate and meth addiction in WV.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Totally said:

Multiple visits from CPS? 

Wouldnt one visit be unusual and multiple concerning? 

As parent I’d be concerned if people thought I warranted a visit from CPS and if I’d had multiple I’d have done some serious looking at my parenting 

It would be concerning to the usual parent, I think.  But for Jill and David, it just confirms that they are being persecuted for their Christian faith and that they must be raising their kids right if their methods are so upsetting to the heathens.

As far as CPS, as noted above, these kids aren't even a blip on their radar compared to the absolute horrors that are out there.  The Rod kids are never going to be removed from the home based on what we've seen.  It would be nice if they were forced to take them to a doctor and nutritionist who could assess their food intake and overall health, but that isn't going to happen.  There are just too many kids out there whose needs are greater.

• Love 10
49 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

It would be concerning to the usual parent, I think.  But for Jill and David, it just confirms that they are being persecuted for their Christian faith and that they must be raising their kids right if their methods are so upsetting to the heathens.

As far as CPS, as noted above, these kids aren't even a blip on their radar compared to the absolute horrors that are out there.  The Rod kids are never going to be removed from the home based on what we've seen.  It would be nice if they were forced to take them to a doctor and nutritionist who could assess their food intake and overall health, but that isn't going to happen.  There are just too many kids out there whose needs are greater.

I agree. I shared about Jill's post because it comes up periodically on this board, people questioning the children's diet and asking why CPS isn't involved. Actually, multiple unfounded calls might eventually get their case file labeled as harassment, especially if either the same person calls multiple times or if the calls are mostly people who do only "know" the family from social media and are the "hate followers" Jill references in her rant. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, kokapetl said:

Odd choice of photos. You’d think the baby died. 

It does seem overly dramatic for the birth of a healthy child.  I understand that Kelton’s mother died in childbirth several years ago, which is heartbreaking.  I imagine they were thinking of that during the labor.

Of course, rather than thinking “childbirth can be risky and maybe we will enjoy just being a couple for a while,” Kelton impregnated his teenage wife immediately.  So I guess they will get to endure the “discouraging” hours of labor about every other year for the next two decades.

• Love 5

If Josie takes after Kelly fertility wise and follows the quiverfull ideology, she's going to hit the 20 kids mark with no problem.

That being said I don't think we'll see many of the second gen Duggar and Bateses hitting the double digits. It's a bit too early to tell but I think the Websters are going to slow their roll with Alyssa's SVT. The Paines will probably keep going until Erin's body says no more. I'm doubtful Michael will ever get pregnant. And I suspect Zach and Whitney will be happy with 1-2 more after this one is born.

The rest are too early to tell how they'll go.

It'll be very interesting to see how the Brand(TM) goes when the second generation isn't as keen to reproduce like their parents.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

If Josie takes after Kelly fertility wise and follows the quiverfull ideology, she's going to hit the 20 kids mark with no problem.

That being said I don't think we'll see many of the second gen Duggar and Bateses hitting the double digits. It's a bit too early to tell but I think the Websters are going to slow their roll with Alyssa's SVT. The Paines will probably keep going until Erin's body says no more. I'm doubtful Michael will ever get pregnant. And I suspect Zach and Whitney will be happy with 1-2 more after this one is born.

The rest are too early to tell how they'll go.

It'll be very interesting to see how the Brand(TM) goes when the second generation isn't as keen to reproduce like their parents.

You'd think the older Bateses and Duggars would be less likely to have gigantic families. The kids who are old enough to remember poverty, sharing their parents with a zillion siblings, and never even having enough to eat. 

• Love 11

I have a sneaking suspicion Erin was doted upon and treated like a princess so for her she had a "good experience" with a large family (or as good of an experience as you can in that sort of situation).

Zach and Alyssa seem to be much more realistic. Alyssa said she didn't want any more than 6-8, which is surprising considering who her father in law is. It seems she may be 3 and done with the SVT though, if it's as bad as they say it is.

It's hard to say with the rest. Josie is old enough to remember the hard times but young enough that it's likely all been whitewashed because of the TV show. I don't follow the Bateses too closely but I'm doubtful they will get close to whatever Duggar Data is projecting them to have for grandchildren.

• Love 9
20 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I have a sneaking suspicion Erin was doted upon and treated like a princess so for her she had a "good experience" with a large family (or as good of an experience as you can in that sort of situation).

Zach and Alyssa seem to be much more realistic. Alyssa said she didn't want any more than 6-8, which is surprising considering who her father in law is. It seems she may be 3 and done with the SVT though, if it's as bad as they say it is.

It's hard to say with the rest. Josie is old enough to remember the hard times but young enough that it's likely all been whitewashed because of the TV show. I don't follow the Bateses too closely but I'm doubtful they will get close to whatever Duggar Data is projecting them to have for grandchildren.

Good point -- plus, I think Erin lives in her own little world. Chad is only allowed there to provide her with children. 

• Love 7
14 hours ago, kokapetl said:

Odd choice of photos. You’d think the baby died. 

In another post on their social media, they described the labor as a "terrifying and shocking process".  It sounds and looks like Josie may have had some complications, but nothing too serious and thankfully they were in a hospital. 

• Love 4

From what I understand, JillR stopped announcing their church grifting schedule because DCF was called on them in other states a couple of times as well.

The threshold of abuse/neglect verses parental/religious rights in cases like the Rods is difficult for DCF workers. Even if a case was ever opened, all the Rods would have to do to get it closed would basically be to keep food in the house. And not only because DCF workers are overworked, but because there's a big difference between what is acceptable and what is optimal. DCF workers often have to close cases when acceptable is maintained.

Not for the same reasons as the Rods, but sadly many families in this country rarely, if ever, make it past acceptable.

• Love 3
(edited)

Chad specifically said he wanted a brother for Carson, so #5 will be on the way by next summer.

The Bateseseses seem to be all over the place when it comes to choosing baby names. I think Holland is hideous, but she can always go by Holly.

As for Whitney, it's odd she goes with a dated name like Kaci, then flips to uber-European with the accented Khloé. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5
38 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

To go with Kaci I assume. 

Poor Everly, being the only Paine girl without a place name. Holland is so ugly for a girl. 

Do they know of the actress Holland Taylor? Gay. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I have a gay son and many gay friends.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 13

Hi y’all.  I’m 25, big Instagram user, make fairly good money, and I do enjoy trying new products to treat myself.  So especially shampoos and face products.  So when a shampoo commercial tuned to my likes showed up on IG stories, I offered some feedback to the retailer and their 301k followers.

Let’s see what happens.

EFC91F3A-4A46-4D98-99C7-13E557C0F441.png

AA6E3808-AD46-4399-89BB-E3935AD57132.png

• Love 15
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Wishing Well said:

Hi y’all.  I’m 25, big Instagram user, make fairly good money, and I do enjoy trying new products to treat myself.  So especially shampoos and face products.  So when a shampoo commercial tuned to my likes showed up on IG stories, I offered some feedback to the retailer and their 301k followers.

Let’s see what happens.

EFC91F3A-4A46-4D98-99C7-13E557C0F441.png

AA6E3808-AD46-4399-89BB-E3935AD57132.png

Looking forward to their response. BTW, it's Forrest in their house, not Lee. (Or do they have 1 of each?) Forrest is the one I recognize. I don't remember seeing Lee. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 minute ago, Wishing Well said:

Whoops.

Oh well.  Confederates are all the same to me 😉

No worries! I am a Civil War buff. Otherwise, I wouldn't know. 🙂

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2