Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, emma675 said:

I had to read that little meme three times before I got it, lol! How is she so dumb??

Okay this is overused but fits: Stupid is as stupid does or Fundie is as Fundie does

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Please, God. Don't ever let me board a plane and see TimR in the cockpit. He sounds as unpunctuated as his loony mother. As for Jill's post about the prez, well, he does love the poorly educated . . . . 

When do we get to see a post of Jill and chubby hubby at the Good Olive Garden stuffing their faces in honor of Best Daddy Ever Day? I wonder if it's a traditional day of fasting for the kids. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

That is the kinda of logic that is...not.

Timmy can just STFU about graduating debt free. How about a thank you for all of the people who donate money/airline miles, etc. to him and his family to enable him to do that? Charity from others is not something that you should count on as an income source, but yet they do. 

Also, he's only completed ONE semester of college!

It's interesting how the Rod kids, with all of their awful teeth,  all eventually get braces and perfect teeth.  Jill's sister's kids don't seem to get braces. I bet Medicaid or grifting paid for it.

And Timothy's "guess what" without a question mark or comma, multiple times, just comes across at arrogant.

When did Timothy start wearing facial hair?

• Love 9
2 hours ago, awaken said:

Grizzly bear TRACTS!!  😂. Would love to see what proselytizing literature bears leave behind!  

I noticed the "tracts" too.  I guess there is only one kind of tracts in Jill's mind.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, lulu69 said:

Who thinks Jill, Chubs and their starving band of street urchins will crash the grandma Duggar funeral?

Jill would like the publicity and material for her blog. However, I doubt the Rods go anyplace where they're not likely to get a free meal. I've never been fed at a funeral to which I wasn't invited for a post-funeral gathering. Anyway, JB is rather cheap. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

Jill would like the publicity and material for her blog. However, I doubt the Rods go anyplace where they're not likely to get a free meal. I've never been fed at a funeral to which I wasn't invited for a post-funeral gathering. Anyway, JB is rather cheap. 

Well, the Duggs invite 1000 or more to all the weddings.  Wouldn't they be expecting big numbers for a funeral too?  Of course, the Duggars are also known for the skimpy, unappetizing menu at their wedding receptions; so anyone going to Grandma Duggar's funeral expecting a filling meal had better pack a lunch.  I'm a heathen Catholic and virtually all of the funerals I've attended have the priest or minister announce the location of the luncheon at the end of the service and anyone can attend.  Usually, there are people from the funeral home at the service or cemetery handing out maps and instructions.  Of course, I and most people I know don't attend the luncheon unless we're either part of the family or a close friend while the Duggars and their fundie ilk seem to think everyone is a dear friend/close relation.  And, yes, the heathen Catholics anyway, serve a full meal whether catered or homecooked by close family and friends.  When my nephew died, we had so much food that, even after serving 100 or so at my house afterwards, we were packing bags of stuff for people to take with them.  My sister and her husband didn't cook for weeks afterwards, they had so much.

That being said, Jill is nothing if not a famewhore and the Duggars have provided her with multiple brag opportunities in the past; if there's any way she can be there, I expect her to show.  Of course, they might be busy singing for their supper at some tent revival or another and have to miss it.

Jill interrupted their cross country trip to detour to a funeral and pose before the coffins of little children who'd been killed in a fire.  She'd never met the family, didn't know a single person there, and still she went and posed like they were visiting Disney World.  She has no shame, she has no standards.  She'll show up in Arkansas unless the grifting is better elsewhere that day.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 15
7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Tim is looking so much happier and healthier since he escaped Jill's clutches. I have a feeling his trips home will be few and far between.

Tim is the current favorite. I don't see him staying away much unless he's replaced as Mama's golden child. Timmy barely managed a year at Moody, and that was with at least one visit from Mama. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, SongbirdHollow said:

Jeez what a way to find out Mary died. 😞

Mary died a week ago today. As it's been the main topic of conversation in most of the Counting On threads I assumed everyone knew. My apologies if you did not.

• Love 3
(edited)

Usually I like the Maxwells, as a pleasant boring interlude. A break from the crazier fundies and the world. But today's Father's Day's post is kind of awful. This has been a big year for the Maxwell as Steve struggles with heart disease. (He had two stints put into correct major blockages.) But the post for Father's Day is one of the worst posts I've ever seen from the Maxwells and pretty much sums about everything about them. 

Here it is (minus the pictures):

Dear Dad,

Looking back over the years, I see how your life has been filled with sacrifices. A sacrifice means it costs you something. 2 Samuel 24:24: ” … neither will I offer burnt offerings unto the LORD my God of that which doth cost me nothing.”

You’ve given up things you loved because family was more important. Back in Nathan, Christopher, and my early childhood days, you loved to fly small airplanes and be out on the sparkling water in a sailboat. Not only did you see that was taking away resources and time which could be used better, but you also knew it would create appetites in your kids for those same things.

You and Mom made the decision to only have three kids, after seeing Mom’s struggles with depression. Seven years later, when God changed your hearts, you had the courage to reverse that. Raising five more kids was a tremendous amount of sacrifice!

When God led you to leave your corporate job and start a business, that required more sacrifice.

While raising eight kids, you sacrificed so much time and money for our sake. Even now, you and Mom go out of your way to bless the married couples as opportunities arise. Not many people in their 60s would love to have single, young adults living with them. You not only welcome it, but you do it at no cost to us! Sacrificial love.

Sacrifice. The beauty of giving up something because you value something more.

You value your family, and your walk with the Lord Jesus more than anything else in this world.

Most recently, you’ve sacrificed your diet to have more years left to be with us and sharing with others.

Dad, thank you. Thank you for your sacrificial example. I love you!

Love,
Sarah for all EIGHT

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 1
7 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

He is a prison guard and she is an ebil catholic who fall in love while Jill is serving time for child neglect.

My head canon is David must have been arrested for vagrancy at one point and this is the ensuing Jill's tearful, melodramatic "stand by your (worthless) man" moment. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Temperance said:

Usually I like the Maxwells, as a pleasant boring interlude. A break from the crazier fundies and the world. But today's Father's Day's post is kind of awful. This has been a big year for the Maxwell as Steve struggles with heart disease. (He had two stints put into correct major blockages.) But the post for Father's Day is one of the worst posts I've ever seen from the Maxwells and pretty much sums about everything about them. 

Dear Dad,

Looking back over the years, I see how your life has been filled with sacrifices. A sacrifice means it costs you something. 2 Samuel 24:24: ” … neither will I offer burnt offerings unto the LORD my God of that which doth cost me nothing.”

You’ve given up things you loved because family was more important. Back in Nathan, Christopher, and my early childhood days, you loved to fly small airplanes and be out on the sparkling water in a sailboat. Not only did you see that was taking away resources and time which could be used better, but you also knew it would create appetites in your kids for those same things.

You and Mom made the decision to only have three kids, after seeing Mom’s struggles with depression. Seven years later, when God changed your hearts, you had the courage to reverse that. Raising five more kids was a tremendous amount of sacrifice!

When God led you to leave your corporate job and start a business, that required more sacrifice.

While raising eight kids, you sacrificed so much time and money for our sake. Even now, you and Mom go out of your way to bless the married couples as opportunities arise. Not many people in their 60s would love to have single, young adults living with them. You not only welcome it, but you do it at no cost to us! Sacrificial love.

You value your family, and your walk with the Lord Jesus more than anything else in this world.

Most recently, you’ve sacrificed your diet to have more years left to be with us and sharing with others.

Love,
Sarah for all EIGHT

My goodness, will they please stop with this man's vasectomy reversal story? Lauren has some competition in keeping stories alive.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

For a brief but glorious moment, I thought the top picture was there to accompany an announcement that Timothy was courting. 

They do make a nice-looking young couple. I wish them a happy life together. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, Temperance said:

Dear Dad,

Love,
Sarah for all EIGHT

I feel sorry for Sarah that she doesn't understand the concept of self-care and spending time away from your spouse/children.  Adults are allowed to have other interests that do not involve the family.  In fact, a healthy marriage requires this.  Spending every second with each other does not strengthen a marriage/family but can be the cause of marital discord.  

I don't know that much about the Maxwell family, but why would you want your wife to continue to have children if she suffered from post-partum depression?  Does Steve really think that this was the devil working on the Mrs. instead of God telling them to slow their roll?  

Steve sacrificed his diet?????  I don't see how changing your diet after a cardiac event is a sacrifice.  Obviously if Steve's diet was a factor in his heart problems, then he was not eating in moderation.  The occasional cheeseburger and fries does not cause this.  I seem to remember that gluttony is one of the 7 Deadlies.  

• Love 12
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

My goodness, will they please stop with this man's vasectomy reversal story? Lauren has some competition in keeping stories alive.

Especially since one of the things I REALLY don't want to think about is Steve Maxwell's scrotum. 

15 hours ago, Temperance said:

Dear Dad,

Love,
Sarah for all EIGHT

Fundie writing is truly awful. It's predictably awful. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, lulu69 said:

Mary died a week ago today. As it's been the main topic of conversation in most of the Counting On threads I assumed everyone knew. My apologies if you did not.

No worries, I've been out with pneumonia since last Sunday and this is the only Duggar-adjacent thread I currently read. I peeked into some others and read she was found in the pool? Damn.

16 hours ago, Temperance said:

Not many people in their 60s would love to have single, young adults living with them. You not only welcome it, but you do it at no cost to us! Sacrificial love.

Oh, Sarah, most single, young adults who live at home are choosing to do so (for a variety of reasons.)  You are at home because you have a father who is terrified of your sexuality and the thought that you would love another man more than him. Enjoy being the spinster aunt forever. 

(Though I am surprised that Steve doesn’t make them pay rent. I guess he figures all of the free labor he gets makes up for it.)

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

Oh, Sarah, most single, young adults who live at home are choosing to do so (for a variety of reasons.)  You are at home because you have a father who is terrified of your sexuality and the thought that you would love another man more than him. Enjoy being the spinster aunt forever. 

I am embracing my spinster aunt status.  "Spinster" Aunts run the gamut from Auntie Mame

image.thumb.png.9dc6d7bd924d55799e47a2d634e2855a.png

to Aunt Pitty Pat

image.png.8b05398a6d7a4c3ef1cc1506797bd047.png

• LOL 10
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, irisheyes said:

Sarah and Mary never got the chance to make any other choices, though.

And never will.  Steve needs to keep them at home to take care of him and Teri.  Who is going to cook and clean and empty their bedpans later if Sarah, Anna, and Mary are allowed to marry and leave?  He might let Mary eventually leave but Sarah and Anna are there for the rest of his life.

I loathe Steve Maxwell.

Edited by NotFundie
I forgot about Anna!
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, NotFundie said:

And never will.  Steve needs to keep them at home to take care of him and Teri.  Who is going to cook and clean and empty their bedpans later if Sarah, Anna, and Mary are allowed to marry and leave?  He might let Mary eventually leave but Sarah and Anna are there for the rest of his life.

I loathe Steve Maxwell.

And be ready-made babysitters while the sisters-in-law continue to churn out children. Dog knows no Maxwell man would be caught dead babysitting children, even his own (YES, I KNOW YOU CAN'T BABYSIT YOUR OWN CHILDREN! IT'S JUST A PHRASE!). The sister slaves have to pick up the slack. 

I'm going to take a wild guess and say Mary is the youngest Maxwell. I try to avoid reading about them. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Sarah, of course, is of course their oldest child living at home and the one most likely to remain there. But all of her other siblings are either living at home or lived at home as adults. The youngest any of the Maxwells have moved out (so far) is 25. Both Joe and Nathan Maxwell were 25 when they got married, and were living at home before moving to a different house in the same neighborhood. It may not seem as bad since the boys marry and move out, but forcing your kids to live at home until they marry is cruel to everyone. They never got a chance to live on their own by themselves or with roommates or really explore the world. It's one of my pet peeves of the fundie world. 

I get the sense that Sarah may actually like living at home, but her siblings should be able to make their own decisions. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2
On 6/11/2019 at 2:19 PM, farmgal4 said:

Can someone please look at the beach pictures on Erin Bates Paine’s IG and tell me why Carson has such deep dark circles under his eyes?  I personally know a baby who developed those, and it was her very first symptom of liver cancer.  

Sometimes it's allergies, and I've seen them on an otherwise healthy toddler; so not always an alarming flag.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, irisheyes said:

(Though I am surprised that Steve doesn’t make them pay rent. I guess he figures all of the free labor he gets makes up for it.)

Most young adults living at home have their own room or space.  I think all 3  Maxwell girls share a room with 2 of them sleeping on bunk beds. Or maybe Sarah has her own room but one of their pictures showed bunk beds for 2 of them.   Those girls are so stunted. 

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

I forgot there were three Maxwell girls. Are they the only ones at home, or is there a boy left too?

Jesse, the youngest son lives at home as well.  He has already done the buy a house & fix it up debt free thing. IIRC, he rents it out & lives at home rent free.  I guess the renters get kicked out once he finds his Princess Charming.   Too bad the single fundie guys aren't allowed to live in the houses they buy & fix up til they are married.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Jesse, the youngest son lives at home as well.  He has already done the buy a house & fix it up debt free thing. IIRC, he rents it out & lives at home rent free.  I guess the renters get kicked out once he finds his Princess Charming.   Too bad the single fundie guys aren't allowed to live in the houses they buy & fix up til they are married.

It's a lot easier to do that when you 1. Live in a relatively low cost-of-living area; 2. Have a shit ton of relatives to help with the remodeling work; 3. Don't have student loan debt or any kind of social life; 4. Live at home for free. 

In other words, let me see one of these fundie assholes pay cash for a house when they live on the coasts or even in a more expensive midwestern state. Or have college debt. Or have parents (fundie or otherwise) they had to escape from at the age of 18 with only what they could carry. 

• Love 12

Speaking of the Maxwells, it was hoped that because the site was down that Sarah Maxwell had decided not to breed her dog Ellie! But it came back and this update was given recently:

"Ellie has been bred, and we’ll be doing an ultrasound to confirm in July! If things go as expected, her litter will be due in August. Ellie’s pictured below at 8 weeks and her puppies will look very similar.

English Cream Puppies:
$2000 (plus Kansas sales tax, which is a state requirement)

We have enough interest right now to cover the first picks of male and female. But, once the litter is born, and we know how many puppies and gender, we’ll be able to take more deposits. Please contact me at this link if you’re interested in being put on the list to be notified. The deposit simply secures your puppy spot. The $300 deposit is non-refundable.

The puppy comes with limited AKC registration. The limited part simply means you won’t be able to breed your dog. 

One thing that sets KansasGoldens apart from others is this is my pet. Yep! She’s pretty spoiled and well taken care of. In fact, I’ve never boarded her at a kennel, and she sleeps in my room!

Another thing that sets us apart is we don’t require a puppy application. Since you’re investing in a puppy of this caliber, I feel you will properly take care of your dog.

English Cream Golden Retriever puppies go fast!"

This pretty much sums it up, except that I'll add a note about dog breeds. Sarah has been insisting that her almost-white blonde Retriever is it's own breed except it's not. "English Cream" is an invented term for this dog and it's possible the puppies will come out looking like a darker blonde golden retriever. The AKC doesn't recognize this "English Cream" as a breed, because genetically they're no different than regular Golden Retrievers. (Sort like a family with blonde kids and brunette kids). 

Her site is Kansas Goldens. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

$2000 for a pet-quality golden retriever? Christ on a cracker. For that price it had better clean my house, do my taxes and teach my child long division.

It won't do that but it will be obedient and never leave home.

• LOL 13
(edited)

The fact that they're not taking applications or insisting on buyers signing a contract shows that they're unscrupulous, shitty backyard breeders who only care about money. 

We own a Presa Canario who's dame and sire were European champions. It took us nearly two years of getting to know the breeder before he agreed to give us a puppy. We had to do a background check, provide proof of stable housing and a fenced yard, agree not to breed, sign up for obedience training, provide evidence of regular vet care for our previous dog etc. 

The Maxwells suck.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 12

I was curious and googled how much a purebred golden retriever should cost and $2000 is on the high end.  For that price, the puppy would have to be exceptional and have AKC paperwork which would allow the potential buyer to breed.  The range I saw from a couple of websites was $500-2000 and anything over $1000 should have an award-winning sire in their bloodline.  

• Useful 4