Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

40 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Does anyone know where the newlyweds are going for their honeymoon?  I saw a photo of their hands wearing their new rings and holding passports.

I saw that too. Hopefully it's nowhere that can be sketchy outside the tourist areas. Carlin's rocking a pretty nice wedding set. 

• Love 2

Why is JillRod so excited to see what God has is in store for Kaylee?  We know the only options when one is a mere female in their world is either stay-at-RV daughter or married off and birthing for two decades.  

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

And now for something completely different....what the Rodruigii have resorted to since being kicked out if that KOA pool (10 pics): 

Everything Jill posts manages to piss me off.  Here we see Rene(?) carrying Janessa while Jill gets to play in the water.  But, then, she always gets one of her slaves daughters to tote around the newest baby while she finds other things to do.

5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Look, fish pee in there.  I used to pee in the creek at my family's land because the alternative was an outhouse.  That outhouse haunts my dreams and has made me able to use any gas station bathroom. 

Amen to this.  My grandma had an outhouse.  I, too, tolerate public bathrooms very well.  Modern plumbing is so much better than sitting in a hot shed on a wooden seat over a big hole in the ground.    🙂

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Carlin is also wearing Jean's in that picture with the passport 

That didn't take long...

I guess it's only a matter of time until Katie gets snapped up.  She is a very pretty young woman.

How the hell can Gil afford to pay for all these weddings?  They definitely aren't in the same league as the Duggar nuptials.  It seems like each daughter raises the stakes just a bit more.  And there have been 3 weddings in the space of a year and a half!  I'm baffled.

• Love 8
(edited)

So David Waller is one of a lot of kids. His oldest brother Adam and that brother's wife Valerie recently welcomed twin girls. (They're are in their late thirties.) His brother Adam wrote a long post for his blog: Adam and Valerie. The post is about the pregnancy and delivery.  Basically they found they needed a c-section with twins (not that surprising/unique). It is unbelivable how much complaining this man does about the need for a c-section and how it affects the process for him.

Some excerpts from the blog post:

"In the third trimester there was some concern about the position of the babies. ..... but as we entered the final weeks, our midwife group ultimately had to sit down with us and discuss some options. With the presenting baby in breech position, we were obliged to transfer care to the hospital OB group, with the very likely possibility of needing a c-section if the baby did not turn.

For me, this was probably the most difficult couple weeks of the entire pregnancy. We had enjoyed beautiful natural birth experiences with our first two children, and now the thought of surgery in the OR with a crowd of doctors, having to be separated from Valerie during parts of the operation, restrictive hospital policies, extended recovery, long-term physical implications, heightened risks to Valerie and the babies, strong medications and side effects, and knowing that every future pregnancy would be affected by this operation triggered a flood of emotions as I grappled with this reality......

Valerie would sweetly remind me that we need to trust the Lord. It was like the Lord had already given her a peace about the potential of a c-section, and we just needed to trust the Lord to direct our steps, even if that looked different from our plans. This prayer for clear direction had been our prayer through the pregnancy, and now this trust was being put to the test. As I look back, I am so grateful for how the Lord graciously gave me a couple of weeks to emotionally adjust to this new reality before the time came for us to walk through the experience together.

With this turn of events taking place around Easter this year, I found myself pondering Jesus’ prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane. If this cup pass not from me, except I drink it… Thy will be done. While a c-section is nothing to compare to what Jesus did on the cross, I realized that I was facing the same question. Was I willing to drink the cup that God was giving me? Was I willing to trust His grace, no matter the outcome? Could I take my focus off doctors and circumstances, and accept that a c-section was where He Himself was leading us?"

I'm posting this in part to show in part how much fundies feel about c-sections. We've talked about this in the Jill and Derick thread, but it shows how much pressure there is for these girls to not have c-sections. Also how much fundies distrust doctors and hospitals. In the end they had a good outcome and welcomed two healthy girls Ruth and Joanne (biblical names). Valerie, the mother, is also healthy. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 5
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Temperance said:

the thought of surgery in the OR with a crowd of doctors, having to be separated from Valerie during parts of the operation, restrictive hospital policies, extended recovery, long-term physical implications, heightened risks to Valerie and the babies, strong medications and side effects, and knowing that every future pregnancy would be affected by this operation triggered a flood of emotions as I grappled with this reality......

Wow, he's even a bigger tool than his brother. It's all about him. I think what's really bugging him is being separated from his wife during the surgery and the "restrictive" hospital policies.  He obviously wants to call the shots and is indignant that his authority is being challenged. Don't these heathens realize that he is his wife's headship and his wishes must be obeyed? And I'll bet he was panicked at the thought that a male doctor or nurse might see his wife naked.

Also note that his wife is in her late thirties and has now had four kids and he's worried about future pregnancies!

• Love 19
4 hours ago, Temperance said:

So David Waller is one of a lot of kids. His oldest brother Adam and that brother's wife Valerie recently welcomed twin girls. (They're are in their late thirties.) His brother Adam wrote a long post for his blog: Adam and Valerie. The post is about the pregnancy and delivery.  Basically they found they needed a c-section with twins (not that surprising/unique). It is unbelivable how much complaining this man does about the need for a c-section and how it affects the process for him.

Some excerpts from the blog post:

"In the third trimester there was some concern about the position of the babies. ..... but as we entered the final weeks, our midwife group ultimately had to sit down with us and discuss some options. With the presenting baby in breech position, we were obliged to transfer care to the hospital OB group, with the very likely possibility of needing a c-section if the baby did not turn.

For me, this was probably the most difficult couple weeks of the entire pregnancy. We had enjoyed beautiful natural birth experiences with our first two children, and now the thought of surgery in the OR with a crowd of doctors, having to be separated from Valerie during parts of the operation, restrictive hospital policies, extended recovery, long-term physical implications, heightened risks to Valerie and the babies, strong medications and side effects, and knowing that every future pregnancy would be affected by this operation triggered a flood of emotions as I grappled with this reality......

Valerie would sweetly remind me that we need to trust the Lord. It was like the Lord had already given her a peace about the potential of a c-section, and we just needed to trust the Lord to direct our steps, even if that looked different from our plans. This prayer for clear direction had been our prayer through the pregnancy, and now this trust was being put to the test. As I look back, I am so grateful for how the Lord graciously gave me a couple of weeks to emotionally adjust to this new reality before the time came for us to walk through the experience together.

With this turn of events taking place around Easter this year, I found myself pondering Jesus’ prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane. If this cup pass not from me, except I drink it… Thy will be done. While a c-section is nothing to compare to what Jesus did on the cross, I realized that I was facing the same question. Was I willing to drink the cup that God was giving me? Was I willing to trust His grace, no matter the outcome? Could I take my focus off doctors and circumstances, and accept that a c-section was where He Himself was leading us?"

I'm posting this in part to show in part how much fundies feel about c-sections. We've talked about this in the Jill and Derick thread, but it shows how much pressure there is for these girls to not have c-sections. Also how much fundies distrust doctors and hospitals. In the end they had a good outcome and welcomed two healthy girls Ruth and Joanne (biblical names). Valerie, the mother, is also healthy. 

As someone active with groups like ICAN, I read his post very differently than you. There is a huge movement to reduce the csection rate in the US and to do csections differently: allow for skin-to-skin in the OR, lowering the drape or using a clear drape so the mother can see the baby sooner, etc. Many hospitals still have not adopted these practices.

Furthermore, the csection does effect the rest of the family. Maternal complications are generally higher for csections. My husband was present for my csection and my three vbacs, and he found the csection to be terrifying. It was not planned, but not an emergency, just failure to progress. Nevertheless, the doctors forgot to bring him into the OR, and I had to tell them to bring him in after they had already started cutting me. I had a bad reaction to the drugs, causing convulsions and vomiting during the surgery. He thought I was dying. Our son was born with a spontaneous pneumothorax and had to go to the NICU, and I had to tell my husband to go with the baby because he was afraid to leave me.

My story is not even close to being unique. ICAN (International Caeserean Awareness Network) and groups like allow women to share their stories and advocate for better practices. I don't think csections are always bad or that doctors and hospitals are evil, but women (and their families) do need to be advocates. It is certainly not just a fundie thing. The csection rate nationally is double the WHO recommended rate, and once rates go much over 15%, they stop correlating to better outcomes. Csections are, IIRC,  the most common major surgery performed in the US, with around 30% of deliveries being by csection. Hospitals that serve poor and minority populations tend to skew even higher. One hospital where many of my relatives go had a csection rate of 60%, and unsurprisingly every baby in my family born there was delivered by csection. 

I get a bit riled up by this topic. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Look, fish pee in there.  I used to pee in the creek at my family's land because the alternative was an outhouse.  That outhouse haunts my dreams and has made me able to use any gas station bathroom. 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

When I see this coming from a Gothard-royalty son, I'd call it indicative of the aggressive entitlement of that crowd. . . . 

Because look at that scriptural reference. That's what sticks out for me. He's not thinking about his wife or about whether or not the c-section is a medically necessary thing or anything like that. He's a Gothard loony and stuff like that never crosses their minds, as far as I can tell. . . .

Look at how this guy makes a comparison to the prospect of his wife having a not-quite-emergency, planned-for-medical-reasons c-section in a modern hospital. (not one of the obviously ill-advised ones that's scheduled for somebody's convenience, but one that a doctor, correctly or incorrectly, judges is important for everybody's health.)

Yeah, that's exactly on a par with the future Jesus contemplated in the Garden of Gethsemane. Crucifixion vs. the shame of having an imperfect wife who has to have your babies by c-section. Yeesh. . . . 

^^^Well said. That's what jumped out at me when I read the post. I got absolutely no sense that this guy was concerned about whether the c-section was medically appropriate. It was SO all about HIM and HIS ego and HIS relationship to God. FFS, you'd think he was the one who was pregnant! Oy.

• Love 19
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

^^^Well said. That's what jumped out at me when I read the post. I got absolutely no sense that this guy was concerned about whether the c-section was medically appropriate. It was SO all about HIM and HIS ego and HIS relationship to God. FFS, you'd think he was the one who was pregnant! Oy.

Exactly. And even if he were  concerned about the risks of a C-section, frankly, those risks are kind of irrelevant when it's so obviously necessary as it is in the case of twins with the presenting twin being breech. The morbidity risk of a C-section pale in comparison to the much higher risk of infant brain damage or death during a vaginal birth in that situation. 

• Love 21
11 hours ago, Lunera said:

Carlin is also wearing jeans in that picture with the passport 

Don't worry...they won't fit for long.....

((Probably already knocked-up.....))

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

I swam in cricks while growing up and everyone wore shorts, t-shirts, and cheap tennis shoes w/o socks. Swimming suits and pool fees were expensive, so it was the crick or the river for us.

If JillR is serious about losing weight, she should eat the same amounts that her little kids eat. They are practically skeletal.

• Love 10
(edited)
21 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

The scene from Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? redone with pale, gaunt kids weighed down with denim.

Seriously, those two young kids don't look normal at all.  

I know Jill's answer to "who shall wear the starry crown?" <cough> <barf emoticon> (not a crown for godliness but for self-centeredness)

Edited by LilJen
  • Love 5
On 5/26/2019 at 2:15 PM, Sew Sumi said:

And now for something completely different....what the Rodruigii have resorted to since being kicked out if that KOA pool (10 pics): 

I can't stand being in wet clothes. The thought of swimming or wading in a creek or ocean or pool in long heavy jeans skirts or pants is a huge turnoff. These people are nuts. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, 65mickey said:

I can't stand being in wet clothes. The thought of swimming or wading in a creek or ocean or pool in long heavy jeans skirts or pants is a huge turnoff. These people are nuts. 

Well, the parents are nuts.

The kids have been deprived of the knowledge that they might have options and of any confidence that they might be able to make a different kind of life. 

• Love 8

If there is such a thing as a "Mennonite Mob" could there be a "Fundie Mob". I read an article saying there is something like a mob but not what they show on tv, part talked of a mob amongst Mennonites in Mexico. I'm a Catholic and I was married to a Jehovah's Witness, some of the senior where a pain in the ass but not scary.

• Love 2
(edited)
30 minutes ago, BrianJ1962 said:

If there is such a thing as a "Mennonite Mob" could there be a "Fundie Mob". I read an article saying there is something like a mob but not what they show on tv, part talked of a mob amongst Mennonites in Mexico. I'm a Catholic and I was married to a Jehovah's Witness, some of the senior where a pain in the ass but not scary.

It'd probably be surprising if any big group of people who see themselves as a cohesive clan of some kind didn't have some organized crime contingent or other, don't you think?

Once you've got a group, you're always going to have somebody on the take and/or committing abuse of some kind.....And then that person(s) gets hold of compatriots who feel some group loyalty to assist and to lie and cover for them in return for a cut of the take or for some other pay -- or, contrariwise, under pain of having themselves or loved ones hurt or having their own secrets outed....

And just like that you've got a mob and you're off to the races....I'm sure there are multiple fundie mobs of one kind or another.

To a degree the Gothard family was (is?) a fundie mob. One brother peddled fake investments to elderly churchgoers and stole their money and two used and abused vulnerable women.....and while they're only a three-guy mob there were a bunch of other people in the cult who covered for them for years and, to some degree, continue to. And that's just a story that's come to light. There are surely plenty more where that came from. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

It'd probably be surprising if any big group of people who see themselves as a cohesive clan of some kind didn't have some organized crime contingent or other, don't you think?

Most definitely, I would add they have some form of internal security to keep people out and/or in

• Love 2
15 hours ago, sleepysuzy said:

As someone active with groups like ICAN, I read his post very differently than you. There is a huge movement to reduce the csection rate in the US and to do csections differently: allow for skin-to-skin in the OR, lowering the drape or using a clear drape so the mother can see the baby sooner, etc. Many hospitals still have not adopted these practices.

Furthermore, the csection does effect the rest of the family. Maternal complications are generally higher for csections. My husband was present for my csection and my three vbacs, and he found the csection to be terrifying. It was not planned, but not an emergency, just failure to progress. Nevertheless, the doctors forgot to bring him into the OR, and I had to tell them to bring him in after they had already started cutting me. I had a bad reaction to the drugs, causing convulsions and vomiting during the surgery. He thought I was dying. Our son was born with a spontaneous pneumothorax and had to go to the NICU, and I had to tell my husband to go with the baby because he was afraid to leave me.

My story is not even close to being unique. ICAN (International Caeserean Awareness Network) and groups like allow women to share their stories and advocate for better practices. I don't think csections are always bad or that doctors and hospitals are evil, but women (and their families) do need to be advocates. It is certainly not just a fundie thing. The csection rate nationally is double the WHO recommended rate, and once rates go much over 15%, they stop correlating to better outcomes. Csections are, IIRC,  the most common major surgery performed in the US, with around 30% of deliveries being by csection. Hospitals that serve poor and minority populations tend to skew even higher. One hospital where many of my relatives go had a csection rate of 60%, and unsurprisingly every baby in my family born there was delivered by csection. 

I get a bit riled up by this topic. 

👏

and our dismal maternal mortality rates tell the rest of the story. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, 65mickey said:

And what do they do with that huge pile of wet clothes as they travel and live in their RV? The clothes probably sour and smell so bad!

• Love 7

If you haven’t seen the YouTube video of Jill R talking about hair/makeup/dress, you must check it out.  Don’t forget to read the comments found below the video, as well.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

And what do they do with that huge pile of wet clothes as they travel and live in their RV? The clothes probably sour and smell so bad!

I figured the creek also functioned as their laundromat. 😁

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, farmgal4 said:

If you haven’t seen the YouTube video of Jill R talking about hair/makeup/dress, you must check it out.  Don’t forget to read the comments found below the video, as well.

I'm surprised Jill didn't delete all those horrible (but great) comments!

• Love 2
On 5/26/2019 at 5:22 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

So true!! Yes, I grew up country, no swimming pools.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, louannems said:

I'm surprised Jill didn't delete all those horrible (but great) comments!

She can’t.  She deleted the entire video, but someone else snatched it up beforehand and re-uploaded it, so JRod can’t delete any of it. 😂 I don’t know if you watched any of it, but for a couple of minutes, she has no makeup on and her hair is straight from the shower.  It’s worth watching the video just to see that.  I never thought I would say anything nice about her, but she is very pretty and looks 10 years younger without the usual makeup and hair.  It was unbelievable, really.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
On 5/27/2019 at 11:23 PM, farmgal4 said:

If you haven’t seen the YouTube video of Jill R talking about hair/makeup/dress, you must check it out.  

Here it is and it is GLORIOUS. I loved how she boasted of receiving her cosmetology degree while still in high school, then goes on to curl her eyelashes after applying mascara and applies her foundation after she put on her blush. At one point, some baby is crying and she remarks how the baby is hungry but will have to wait until she's done. I also agree with @farmgal4 that she really does look 10 years younger without the daytime stripper make up. 

The text of an Instagram post:

rodriguesfamilyservingjesus

What an HONOR it is serving Jesus Full time. Yes, it is a VERY busy life and many times I don't know how I keep up. (Thank God for Plexus). However, I am blessed beyond measure to serve my sweet Jesus! ❤The WONDERFUL, old fashioned preaching, sin convicting, God honoring Camp Meeting has come to a close. Farewell until year, our sweet friends. 💛 Jill and Family

3 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Here it is and it is GLORIOUS. I loved how she boasted of receiving her cosmetology degree while still in high school, then goes on to curl her eyelashes after applying mascara and applies her foundation after she put on her blush. At one point, some baby is crying and she remarks how the baby is hungry but will have to wait until she's done. I also agree with @farmgal4 that she really does look 10 years younger without the daytime stripper make up. 

“How to stay looking beautiful “ 😂🤷🏼‍♀️🤦‍♀️ Oh my!

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

“How to stay looking beautiful “ 😂🤷🏼‍♀️🤦‍♀️ Oh my!

Oh Jill, you're such a putz.  And you married a putz.  A couple of putzs for Jesus. 

Between you the only thing you do well is have children. 

And grift.  You're spectacular at grifting. 

Parenting the kids, well, not so much.

John 11:35.  Jesus wept.  I think of it when I think of you, your hypocrisy, your narcissism, your utter stupidity, and your unflagging belief that Jesus loves you the best because you keep popping out children like a glorified Pez dispenser.

If the Biblical Jesus showed up today, you wouldn't recognize him.  He'd be wearing a robe, not manly pants.  He'd have long hair.  His skin tone wouldn't be pasty white.  He'd go among the smelly and unlovely and side-eye you and your judgmental attitude.  He'd ask you to approach your relationship with God to be like that of a child to a parent, not as a spokesperson speaking for God. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 21

Jill called that a "short" video - all 48 minutes of it. Geez. I didn't get far - she was driving me nuts pushing her hair out of her face every other second. A hairband would have been most helpful.  I agree she looks much better without any makeup on. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
11 hours ago, ginger90 said:

old fashioned preaching, sin convicting

Anglican here...what does she mean by "old fashioned preaching" and "sin convicting"?

(Also, and this is a pet peeve of mine, it should be "old-fashioned".)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

Just saw some Instagram pictures of Carlin and Evan on their honeymoon.  They went to the Dominican Republic.  Looks like a fancy resort.

This pictures with their drinks are great. I noticed on one of them he mentioned they were virgin drinks. Carlin sure did jump on the shorts and tank tops quickly so maybe by the end of the week they will be tasting real drinks 🙂 

Those Bates girls are really pretty.   

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mojitogirl said:

maybe by the end of the week they will be tasting real drinks 🙂 

Is Carlin old enough to drink? (I guess in the Dominican Republic yes, but in the US?)

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, BitterApple said:

If this is true this is some seriously sick shit. Pickles claims to have spoken with Mike Schadt's accuser:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2088386374593494&id=269181913180625

I really hope Mike has more than one step sister, otherwise way to go pickles outing someone that people will know what’s happened to her. And I can’t read stuff about sexual abuse, I feel sorry for her and I hope she gets justice. It seems like the Duggars really do know a lot of child molestors/sexual abusers hey 🤮

Edited by Puffin
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

Mojitogirl, where did you see those photos of Carlin in shorts? I can't find them. thanks.

I saw pictures on IG and stories but you are right, she’s wearing a short coverup over a bathing suit.  I don’t think that little dress fits the modesty standards of their group though!  (I’m from Florida - people are in the supermarket and school pickup lines wearing stuff like that - so I am not judging her 🙂 )

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

Anglican here...what does she mean by "old fashioned preaching" and "sin convicting"?

(Also, and this is a pet peeve of mine, it should be "old-fashioned".)

Old-fashioned preaching is 2 hours worth of hell, fire and brimstone preaching in order to frighten the sinners into getting saved.

• Love 2

The Bontragers posted new pictures of the entire family on their main family blog. They have 10 kids and four grandkids. Four of their kids are married and each have one kid.  All of the married couples kissed in the first photo. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1