Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

Yeah, Chad looks rough for his age...really, really rough. 

Went to check on some recent pix of him.....he's pretty damn hot IMHO, especially for a Fundie guy.

5 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I really wanted to point out that Erin doesn't handle a child, while even Chad has a car seat. The Websters just seem more connected to their kids.

I think it's just that pic.

Bates girls sure know how to do footwear....and kind of slutty footwear at that.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, queenanne said:

Are those dresses, she asks delicately, orange and green? 

Does that color scheme fly, outside of mellowcreme pumpkins?

I have an orange and green scarf — my husband said it looked like something a flight attendant would have worn in the 70’s. (At least it’s not Hughes Airwest colors, I suppose.) So maybe it flies in the 70’s?  

• Love 6
9 hours ago, queenanne said:

Are those dresses, she asks delicately, orange and green? 

Does that color scheme fly, outside of mellowcreme pumpkins?

I'd call that a no. 

To me, the dresses scream -- I bought this in 1972 at K-mart. The knock-off of the knock-off version of 70s hippie boho. I remember orange popping up in odd places in that style .....

Where or when you'd ever have bought the guys' green shirts, though, I have no idea. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, jennblevins said:

I have an orange and green scarf — my husband said it looked like something a flight attendant would have worn in the 70’s. (At least it’s not Hughes Airwest colors, I suppose.) So maybe it flies in the 70’s?  

well, if a professional designer made such a thing, I have to give a point to the Bateseses, I was primarily assuming they had to have run the dresses up on a sewing machine. ;)  Also I was forgetting rainbow sherbet, lol.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Jenilane6 said:

Chad and Erin don't attend her father's church service.

I'm surprised.  Don't they live really close to the family home?  Their church seems like a regular Baptist church with an educated pastor.  Unlike Gil's homemade church with the tree- cutting pastor.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

Anyone know when Carlin will be getting married? 

They haven’t announced yet but given the late Sept engagement, my bet is a 3 mo engagement which makes it a Christmas wedding. This family doesn’t wait. IDK too many people who want to get married in Jan/Feb (though these people would get hitched on a random Tuesday in Jan if it meant getting it on that day), so the next “popular” wedding time ends up being spring. No way Carlin can wait another 6 months.

They seem to like Christmas weddings. Zach and Tori both did that. I also think they’re on a budget and Christmas time is cheaper — vendors/caterers aren’t particularly busy after the early Dec business holiday party rush ends (which may not even be significant in BFE), I bet you can get some good discounts.

• Love 2
On 10/6/2018 at 7:26 PM, farmgal4 said:

Kelton should’ve worn a sleeveless undershirt.

I'm just glad he wore an undershirt.  So many men do not and they don't look as put together as men who do - IMO.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

I'm just glad he wore an undershirt.  So many men do not and they don't look as put together as men who do - IMO.

John Krasinski neglected to wear one to his wedding (!), and in some candid shots you can see chest hair poking out of his buttondown, which (chest hair) I've no objection to in general; but not between the buttons!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, queenanne said:

John Krasinski neglected to wear one to his wedding (!), and in some candid shots you can see chest hair poking out of his buttondown, which (chest hair) I've no objection to in general; but not between the buttons!

Ha ha ha!  I agree Queenanne!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Evagirl said:

Wow! I cannot recall seeing a guy not wear an undershirt at a wedding (or another formal function). That would be a big fashion faux pas. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, queenanne said:

Too funny.  Mr. lookeyloo was the best man for his friend about 20 or so years ago.  The groom came to our house to get ready.  I of course helped.  Poor guy was clueless.  He was wearing an undershirt with some kind of character on it.  I said, where is your white undershirt.  What?  I'm wearing this, he says.  He did wear a tux.  He was much bigger than Mr. lookeyloo so no borrowing possible.   I made him turn the shirt inside out which helped a bit, but not totally.  I could only do so much.  No time to go buy a new undershirt.  

• Love 8
5 hours ago, cereality said:

They haven’t announced yet but given the late Sept engagement, my bet is a 3 mo engagement which makes it a Christmas wedding. This family doesn’t wait. IDK too many people who want to get married in Jan/Feb (though these people would get hitched on a random Tuesday in Jan if it meant getting it on that day), so the next “popular” wedding time ends up being spring. No way Carlin can wait another 6 months.

They seem to like Christmas weddings. Zach and Tori both did that. I also think they’re on a budget and Christmas time is cheaper — vendors/caterers aren’t particularly busy after the early Dec business holiday party rush ends (which may not even be significant in BFE), I bet you can get some good discounts.

I think they will have a December wedding too. I think Kelly likes December for a reason I can't remember. If the weather is nice there then why not. My 22 year old niece is getting married Jan 19, 2019. Yeah, personally I'm mad at her mother and will not be going but who picks Jan. in Chicago to have a wedding? (snow, ice, blizzards) Must be super cheap as it's the off season at the country club they picked.

• Love 3

I'd pick a winter wedding if I could be gaurenteed pretty snow and clear roads. But because I'm 1- not even currently dating anyone, and 2-  the probability of picturesque clean, white snow AND clear roads is extremely slim, I'd probably pick a different time. I just know I'd rather the weather be cooler than the middle of August when I'm melting.

Fall weddings are nice. I'd just have to very carefully schedule around football games. 

Anyway, I agree a winter wedding is likely. Do they get snow down there to worry about?

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, McManda said:

I'd pick a winter wedding if I could be gaurenteed pretty snow and clear roads. But because I'm 1- not even currently dating anyone, and 2-  the probability of picturesque clean, white snow AND clear roads is extremely slim, I'd probably pick a different time. I just know I'd rather the weather be cooler than the middle of August when I'm melting.

Fall weddings are nice. I'd just have to very carefully schedule around football games. 

Anyway, I agree a winter wedding is likely. Do they get snow down there to worry about?

Snow is pretty unlikely, but winters tend to be wet with a lot of sleet/icy conditions which is worse than snow, IMO.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Snow is pretty unlikely, but winters tend to be wet with a lot of sleet/icy conditions which is worse than snow, IMO.

Well, Geauga County here, so snow is pretty much a given. I agree sleet/icy conditions are much, much worse. 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, McManda said:

I had a mid-October wedding on a sunny, cloudless  low-70's day.  Unfortunately, those wonderful fall days in Seattle come with a price: intense evening and morning fog.  My out of state relatives were fogged out of their morning flight and had to hang around the airport for hours!

Carlin will pick a date 3 months from her engagement and 10 days after her last period. If that falls on Christmas then expect a 2 or 4 month engagement. 10 days after last period is non negotiable. 

• Love 7

As long as the spray painted white wannabe trees do not make an appearance, all will be well.  

Erin had said in the eclipse epi that she and Chad went to church with the family who loaned them the pool.  We all thought they were plot driven, but maybe not.

• Love 1

I recall Tori having a relatively low turnout with a wedding so close to Christmas. If Carlin wants a huge 1,000 guest shebang, a winter wedding may be tough. People are preoccupied with holidays and sketchy weather makes travel difficult. I can't see a lot of out-of-towners risking life and limb to make it to an umpteenth Bates wedding (minus the Rodriguii, of course). She'll have to compromise if she wants to seal the deal as quickly as possible.

And yes, those spray painted white trees need never be seen on TV again. Hopefully they met their end in a fire pit. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Have the Bates had as many honeymoon babies as the Duggars? By honeymoon babies, I mean babies born from the wedding months. (In terms of the Duggars, that would be Jill, Joy, and Kendra. )

No, but close. Bradley and Allie Jane were born 11 months after the wedding night. Carson about a year and a half, however Erin had at least 2 miscarriages prior to him being born. Michaela has been trying, but no baby yet. Kade is due around the 11th month mark as well.

The more I look at the older photo of the Bates family, it looks more and more photoshopped.  I think the log is real, but it really looks like the background is just a screen.

There are very few states where I would chance a December wedding.  Ice storms can wreak havoc on traveling to the point of being unsafe.  We were married in mid-October, and while it wasn't warm and sunny (it was coolish with intermittent rain), it wasn't a safety concern for those traveling.  They have to realize that it's just bad timing with the holidays and whatnot.  

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Lunera said:

A closer look at Josie's dress

19b05850-ba18-4774-a2dd-f525ba4dea85.jpg

71cec394-d85d-477b-aaa7-cc553f2769f1.jpg

a490f53c-2d57-4d04-b890-2290f4d07ec2.jpg

ed8f2157-6b32-4304-913a-e268c266694a.jpg

e99216cf-cbcf-4bd5-80e3-e6bd6600f8c3.jpg

very lovely!  modest but not overly so, and feminine 100%. cute couple.  i hope they just enjoy each other for a whle and dont get pregnant right away. 

• Love 14

She, and the other bates females are stunningly gorgeous!

love that Josie doesn’t have a huge veil. 

She looks very confident and truly happy, which is great to see in fundie women. 

• Love 11
46 minutes ago, Lunera said:

A closer look at Josie's dress

19b05850-ba18-4774-a2dd-f525ba4dea85.jpg

71cec394-d85d-477b-aaa7-cc553f2769f1.jpg

a490f53c-2d57-4d04-b890-2290f4d07ec2.jpg

ed8f2157-6b32-4304-913a-e268c266694a.jpg

e99216cf-cbcf-4bd5-80e3-e6bd6600f8c3.jpg

I like the bouquet, but I still contend it’s too big for her tiny self. If she had gone with something half the size it would’ve been perfect and still “over sized”. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, zoomama said:

very lovely!  modest but not overly so, and feminine 100%. cute couple.  i hope they just enjoy each other for a whle and dont get pregnant right away. 

I love everything about her look. She is so gorgeous. I hope she avoids getting pregnant ASAP. I just had a baby and I miss ( really miss) my cute pre pregnancy body. ( I lost all the baby weight but as most moms know things are just not the same... :-( ) 

She is so young! She should hold off and enjoy her youth

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, yogi2014L said:

I love everything about her look. She is so gorgeous. I hope she avoids getting pregnant ASAP. I just had a baby and I miss ( really miss) my cute pre pregnancy body. ( I lost all the baby weight but as most moms know things are just not the same... :-( ) 

I’m sure you’re still lovely!

• Love 9

They both look like they were too young to get married without their parents' written permission. He in particular (I don't remember his name and I'm too tired to look it up) looks like he hasn't even started shaving yet. 

Further proof that the Bateseseseseses are just like other fundies but in better disguises. 

• Love 12
8 hours ago, Heathen said:

They both look like they were too young to get married without their parents' written permission. He in particular (I don't remember his name and I'm too tired to look it up) looks like he hasn't even started shaving yet. 

Further proof that the Bateseseseseses are just like other fundies but in better disguises. 

Well she’s 19, he’s 21/22- so you’re not far off. 

The Bateses are most assuredly fundy, I dont think they try to disguise it, I think they actually like each other more than the Duggars and have better manners. The Duggars are the most famous mega family so we take them as the standard, but they are an oddity among their own social group. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Heathen said:

Yes, my first thought was that they look like two kids going to prom. The boy doesn’t even look like he’s finished puberty. So, so young. Best of luck to them.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, charmed1 said:

Yes, my first thought was that they look like two kids going to prom. The boy doesn’t even look like he’s finished puberty. So, so young. Best of luck to them.

But at least Josie seems more mature and way less ditsy than her loud, obnoxious sisters Tori and Carlin.

Edited by louannems
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, FakeJoshDuggar said:

Josie’s bouquet is super on trend right now. I have several friends who have gotten married with similar arrangements. 

I like the style, but I wish she'd downsized it so you could see her dress. I feel like the bouquet buried her.

• Love 10
14 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

Is he the one whose mom died giving birth? If so, I wonder how much that will play into how many kids they have? Josie is a notch above the other girls, she's gorgeous & Kelton acts like he adores her :)

• Love 2
On 10/7/2018 at 2:24 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Interesting juxtaposition between the Websters and Paine's here. Erin really is a princess. 

Erin's the one in navy, right? That's pretty much exactly the dress that I wore to the wedding of one of my daughters. She looks way overdressed for church, IMO.

This is kind of mean, but this picture reminds me of something my daughters used to snark about when they were teens: girls who think they're pretty (and convince boys they're pretty) simply because they're thin and blonde.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, Portia said:

This is kind of mean, but this picture reminds me of something my daughters used to snark about when they were teens: girls who think they're pretty (and convince boys they're pretty) simply because they're thin and blonde.

I think Erin and Alyssa are both pretty women; but the notion that “if you’re white, thin and blonde you’re automatically gorgeous (no matter what your face looks like)” is a well known trope among many ethnic groups/socio-economic classes/social milieus.

Erin and Alyssa are pretty (to me), who also happen to be white, thin and blonde, they are not pretty just because of those things. 

• Love 8

I think all the Bates girls/women are very pretty. 

I wish Josie would hold off on having babies for a few years since she's so young and just started a career, but it's not likely to happen. If Alyssa isn't strong-willed enough to go on birth control, I doubt Josie will be. 

I like Erin's dress. I agree it's a little fancy for church but I'll take it over the sloppy Duggar-wear any day of the week.

• Love 22