Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

48 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

Between FB and YouTube, I swear we are all being stalked by everything. A friend of mine posted on FB asking for gifs of people favorite horribly bad movies. Someone posted a gif from Euro Trip and while I saw her post and the response, I didn't comment on it. But today YT is suggesting a clip from the damn movie. 

There is a thing as bad donuts, but I'm spoiled and the mom and pop shop that was voted best in Cleveland, Biagio's, is right down the street from me, so I'm not in danger of them! 

Those kids are definitely not a priority. Somehow they manage to make the majority of crazy fundy parents seem down right wonderful and not at all horrible in comparison. The R kids have an almost hollow look to them beyond looking starved for food. They just look so starved for everything in life. 

O/T but Geauga County here checking in!

• Love 1
On 9/26/2018 at 3:23 PM, GeeGolly said:

If that picture was taken after ingesting Plexus, I'm wondering what the hell the active ingredient is. Cocaine with a splash of weed?

I tried Plexus about 5 years ago. Didn't lose weight & the probiotics screw up my digestive system for 6 months. BUT, I'd be very tempted to try again if the new ingredients were something really special. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Nysha said:

I tried Plexus about 5 years ago. Didn't lose weight & the probiotics screw up my digestive system for 6 months. BUT, I'd be very tempted to try again if the new ingredients were something really special. 

LMAO!

• Love 1

I just saw a car with a great big Plexus decal on the back window.  I tried to get close enough to see what the person looked like, but, alas, too much traffic!  PS I am home, saw it on my drive home.  No typing and driving for me!!

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Nysha said:

I don't trust Plexus at all.  Don't do it! 

• Love 9

Ok so first off, this is NOT a dig at Nurie.  I would like to applaud her for researching basic sewing and watching youtube videos and trying something new.  I remember my first sewing attempt and man was it rough - LOL.  The fact that Stormy Jill hasn't taught her daughters to sew, nor has her mothe,r who lives a few houses down from them is shameful when you consider the fact that they expect their daughters to be awesome SATM and housewives.  

However, did Stormy Jill only allow Nurie to use close out special remnants from Walmart for the dress?  I get the fact that the younger daughter is smiling.  She finally has something made just for her and not a hand me down  - been there and done that.  But the lace collar from like the 1800's with the print dress with the gingham? boarder and the bow?  Um , WTF???

5bb14fd3482ff_ScreenShot2018-09-30at3_21_12PM.thumb.png.0f8530bab2c8279595c3380ddb89c426.png

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Ok so first off, this is NOT a dig at Nurie.  I would like to applaud her for researching basic sewing and watching youtube videos and trying something new.  I remember my first sewing attempt and man was it rough - LOL.  The fact that Stormy Jill hasn't taught her daughters to sew, nor has her mothe,r who lives a few houses down from them is shameful when you consider the fact that they expect their daughters to be awesome SATM and housewives.  

I like your honesty and that this isn't a dig at Nurie. 

I don't think women (or men) should necessarily be able to sew a whole garment to be at SAH parent. Maybe doing basic clothing repairs (mending a small rip, re-attaching a button, etc.), but not making clothes. It's nice if you can make clothes, but not necessary. 

In the other pictures, the fit of the outfit seemed more off, but that may be for modesty reasons.  

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, DragonFaerie said:

However, did Stormy Jill only allow Nurie to use close out special remnants from Walmart for the dress?  I get the fact that the younger daughter is smiling.  She finally has something made just for her and not a hand me down  - been there and done that.  But the lace collar from like the 1800's with the print dress with the gingham? boarder and the bow?  Um , WTF???

5bb14fd3482ff_ScreenShot2018-09-30at3_21_12PM.thumb.png.0f8530bab2c8279595c3380ddb89c426.png

Such a mismatch of fabrics IMO.  Poor thing probably just had to use whatever was around.  I can't snark on that.  I can do basic sewing, from patterns on the easy side.  Mending and reattaching buttons, I've done those many times.

If this dear girl keeps at it, she may find she loves it, or not.  I just find it sad that her mother has to post for her.  Isn't she over 18?  Words fail me.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Between FB and YouTube, I swear we are all being stalked by everything. A friend of mine posted on FB asking for gifs of people favorite horribly bad movies. Someone posted a gif from Euro Trip and while I saw her post and the response, I didn't comment on it. But today YT is suggesting a clip from the damn movie. 

There is a thing as bad donuts, but I'm spoiled and the mom and pop shop that was voted best in Cleveland, Biagio's, is right down the street from me, so I'm not in danger of them! 

Those kids are definitely not a priority. Somehow they manage to make the majority of crazy fundy parents seem down right wonderful and not at all horrible in comparison. The R kids have an almost hollow look to them beyond looking starved for food. They just look so starved for everything in life. 

The donuts available here in eastern NC do not compare to Biagios.  Most of our baked goods in fact.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Such a mismatch of fabrics IMO.  Poor thing probably just had to use whatever was around.  I can't snark on that.  I can do basic sewing, from patterns on the easy side.  Mending and reattaching buttons, I've done those many times.

If this dear girl keeps at it, she may find she loves it, or not.  I just find it sad that her mother has to post for her.  Isn't she over 18?  Words fail me.

My niece picked out horribly mismatched fabrics when her grandma offered to make her a dress. Her grandma wasn't thrilled with the choices, but was happy to make the dress anyway.  So now my niece has a really hideous dress, that she absolutely loves because she got to pick out the fabrics. Maybe that is what happened here.

Nurie's sewing machine is probably part of her dowry.

• Love 12

I quilt and sometimes sew something. The thing is fabric is not cheap. Tariffs will make it more expensive (not being political just talking about rising cost) and I have found it is usually less expensive to buy something ready made instead of a pattern, notions, and fabric. I would factor in time but I guess they have plenty of that.  Of course ready made does not allow one to have a unique look if they want it. 

• Love 16
12 hours ago, Temperance said:

I like your honesty and that this isn't a dig at Nurie. 

I don't think women (or men) should necessarily be able to sew a whole garment to be at SAH parent. Maybe doing basic clothing repairs (mending a small rip, re-attaching a button, etc.), but not making clothes. It's nice if you can make clothes, but not necessary. 

In the other pictures, the fit of the outfit seemed more off, but that may be for modesty reasons.  

I think everyone should understand how to run up a replacement seam without its looking bad, as whenever new clothes come recently, they seem to have a lot of potential flaws at the seam area.  I understand it's difficult for some although it's not for me; but I definitely think that if you have a sewing machine convenient to you, you should know how to fix a seam.  I think a lot of people are intimidated by the thought of doing that by hand; but as someone who took home ec, it's not that hard.  All it is, is picking a thread that looks good with the original; making an effort to take your stitches in the same place far enough from the edge; and periodic gentle stretching/smoothing of the fabric between your fingers, to make sure the thread/stitches aren't puckering.

• Love 3

It would be great if everyone or mostly everyone could do this.  I can do it.  I like doing it for myself and certain loved ones.  My granddaughter, if she lived closer, would be very competent.  My son has saved buttons for me to sew on when I visit, unless he needs it and then takes it to the dry cleaners, but, I taught the granddaughter how to sew on a button and gave her a little sewing kit. She was about 10.  She loved the idea of it and is very coordinated and could do it.  Next visit, shirts missing buttons. I said to son "I taught granddaughter and she can do it".  "I'm not asking her to do that".  what? why?  I wanted to slap him, but he is now a grown man and probably wouldn't appreciate that!!  So they still have a pile of stuff for me to mend, etc.  I really don't mind.  It is a non issue for me.  Daughter in law bought a sewing machine for me when I am there.  Jana can do it.  And now Nurie.  I wonder if Nurie got those fabrics in the remnants bin for half price.  Like I said in another post, it is not cheap to make one's own clothes.

• Love 7

I was over on the other site and was reading about Sierra.  She posted a photo of food she made.  It looked really good.  Maybe Jill needs to have her as a mentor.  This is something I might actually try.  I cannot do real elote because of the mayo so I was pleased this didn't have that ingredient.  

• Love 11

Priscilla Waller (Anna Duggar's sister who is married to David) had a baby yesterday. They named her Destiny Faith! The name was chosen for religious reasons of course, but I was expecting Deborah or something more conservative or biblical! Her sister, Esther, is getting a break and visiting them. 

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Priscilla Waller (Anna Duggar's sister who is married to David) had a baby yesterday. They named her Destiny Faith! The name was chosen for religious reasons of course, but I was expecting Deborah or something more conservative or biblical! Her sister, Esther, is getting a break and visiting them. 

A surprisingly normal, even trendee name by bible thumper standards. Her cousin is Agape? JFC. 

A home birth. Apparently, Priscilla shares a tendency for easy births with her sister Anna. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Heathen said:

A surprisingly normal, even trendee name by bible thumper standards. Her cousin is Agape? JFC. 

A home birth. Apparently, Priscilla shares a tendency for easy births with her sister Anna. 

let's hope nobody pronounces the name as A gay pee.

• Love 6

Interesting that someone with their beliefs would choose to name a child Agape. Agape is the Greek word for love. (It’s actually “love of God for man and of man for God.) That makes sense in a religious context, but don’t fundies think that Catholics aren’t real Christians, going to hell, etc. for many of their beliefs and customs?  Greeks have most of the same beliefs. So they named a child using a word (that’s not even commonly used as a name) from a culture that they don’t even consider Christian.

Edited by EVS
Added exact meaning of Agape
  • Love 10
4 minutes ago, EVS said:

Interesting that someone with their beliefs would choose to name a child Agape. Agape is the Greek word for love. (It’s actually “love of God for man and of man for God.) Don’t fundies think that Catholics aren’t real Christians, going to hell, etc. for many of their beliefs and customs?  Greeks have most of the same beliefs. So they named a child using a word (that’s not even that commonly used as a name) from a culture that they don’t even consider Christian.

These people never let things like facts and history get in the way of finding ways for them to look speshul and brilliant.  I'm sure they feel super intellectual because they used a word they found in their preshus KJV.  Don't worry about the history and shady stories about old King James, tho.  Nothing to see there!

• Love 10
1 hour ago, EVS said:

Interesting that someone with their beliefs would choose to name a child Agape. Agape is the Greek word for love. (It’s actually “love of God for man and of man for God.) That makes sense in a religious context, but don’t fundies think that Catholics aren’t real Christians, going to hell, etc. for many of their beliefs and customs?  Greeks have most of the same beliefs. So they named a child using a word (that’s not even commonly used as a name) from a culture that they don’t even consider Christian.

Sorry to report, ‘Agape love’ is totally Pentecostal-fundie thing.  Every born again stripe of minister I’ve ever known has used it repeatedly in sermon giving, because there’s something in the New Testament about ‘God loving his church with agape love’, I.e. not sexual.

in other words, if it’s Greek, and appears in the NT, Pentecostals will claim it.

• Love 14
5 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

All I see is Flowers In The Attic when I look at this family.

P & D do appear to be shot out of the same gene pool.

Pris's dress looks like the one Nurie R. made. It's just missing the lace doily bib and maybe the contrasting modesty hem. 

• Love 9
24 minutes ago, queenanne said:

Sorry to report, ‘Agape love’ is totally Pentecostal-fundie thing.  Every born again stripe of minister I’ve ever known has used it repeatedly in sermon giving, because there’s something in the New Testament about ‘God loving his church with agape love’, I.e. not sexual.

in other words, if it’s Greek, and appears in the NT, Pentecostals will claim it.

Interesting. I didn’t know that. Thanks

• Love 4

At least, despite their many many many flaws, the Wallers seem to actually enjoy their kids, and not view them as competition. The Waller kids look clean, healthy, and well-dressed, unlike some other kids we might name. Kids whose surname starts with the letter R, for example. 

Edited by Heathen
  • Love 24
1 hour ago, Heathen said:

At least, despite their many many many flaws, the Wallers seem to actually enjoy their kids, and not view them as competition. The Waller kids look clean, healthy, and well-dressed, unlike some other kids we might name. Kids whose surname starts with the letter R, for example. 

I agree. For as whackadoodles as Priscilla is, she genuinely seems to be a good mother. I watched the video where she introduced Destiny to the kids and it was so cute how Phillip kept reaching for the baby and Priscilla didn't tell him no or get nitpicky over how he held her, she just kept complimenting him while he cuddled his sister. I did think it was hilarious when Paul asked "where's all the blood?". I guess he expected more gore, lol.

• Love 21

I'm glad there were no complications and I really like how both Priscilla and Anna's kids are clean and dressed well.  Seems Their MOTY taught them something about being homemakers or SATM's.  While Priscilla's cooking skills leave me wondering - from the video where she hosted that baby shower for a friend, she does seem to embrace her role as mother and caretaker of the home.  Although I wouldn't want her homeschooling, I have a hope that with David seeming more articulate and holding a job, that the kids will grow and have opportunities.  

Do you think Anna sent a text out to the Duggar family - "Hey y'all.  My sister just had her 4th baby.  A home birth with no complications and under 9 lbs!"  Wherein Jill, Joy and Jessa all snarled??

• Love 12
2 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

I'm glad there were no complications and I really like how both Priscilla and Anna's kids are clean and dressed well.  Seems Their MOTY taught them something about being homemakers or SATM's.  While Priscilla's cooking skills leave me wondering - from the video where she hosted that baby shower for a friend, she does seem to embrace her role as mother and caretaker of the home.  Although I wouldn't want her homeschooling, I have a hope that with David seeming more articulate and holding a job, that the kids will grow and have opportunities.  

Do you think Anna sent a text out to the Duggar family - "Hey y'all.  My sister just had her 4th baby.  A home birth with no complications and under 9 lbs!"  Wherein Jill, Joy and Jessa all snarled??

Didn't one or two of Priscilla's kids weigh over nine pounds at (home) birth? If that's true and Jilly finds out, she might actually turn green with envy. 

1 minute ago, Heathen said:

Didn't one or two of Priscilla's kids weigh over nine pounds at (home) birth? If that's true and Jilly finds out, she might actually turn green with envy. 

I think it's sad that these women probably do feel that way over something they have absolutely no control over (except of course, seeking proper medical care).  No one can control what size their baby will be or how their body will respond to pregnancy and birth, but since these women are not allowed to do much of anything else, this is their only measurement of success.  Just another awful misogynistic example of their horrible belief system. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Normades said:

I think it's sad that these women probably do feel that way over something they have absolutely no control over (except of course, seeking proper medical care).  No one can control what size their baby will be or how their body will respond to pregnancy and birth, but since these women are not allowed to do much of anything else, this is their only measurement of success.  Just another awful misogynistic example of their horrible belief system. 

Yes, I tend to agree with this. They also have a limited ability to control whether the baby is breech, transverse, or in the correct position. 

(Yes some people do exercises and are able to turn the baby, but those exercises aren't always successful. A friend of mine had a breech baby and a c-section and she had plenty of medical care.)

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Yes, I tend to agree with this. They also have a limited ability to control whether the baby is breech, transverse, or in the correct position. 

(Yes some people do exercises and are able to turn the baby, but those exercises aren't always successful. A friend of mine had a breech baby and a c-section and she had plenty of medical care.)

Plus, you would need someone with actual medical knowledge (not Jill with her medical thingys) to actually tell you that you're baby was breech and what exercises you could do to turn it.  Most of these women forgo real medical care, so they don't even get the opportunity to give it a try.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I agree. For as whackadoodles as Priscilla is, she genuinely seems to be a good mother. I watched the video where she introduced Destiny to the kids and it was so cute how Phillip kept reaching for the baby and Priscilla didn't tell him no or get nitpicky over how he held her, she just kept complimenting him while he cuddled his sister. I did think it was hilarious when Paul asked "where's all the blood?". I guess he expected more gore, lol.

That is a very cute video.  Priscilla and David were so sweet and gentle with their children.  The children asked normal questions.  Is the baby wearing clothes, commenting on the Destiny's hair.  Priscilla looked like she had just woken up from a restful nap, not given birth.  That woman is amazing.

• Love 23
On 10/3/2018 at 12:42 PM, EVS said:

Wait - Greek Orthodox are not considered Christian?  Just curious.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, AnnaBaptist said:

Wait - Greek Orthodox are not considered Christian?  Just curious.

Greek Orthodox are not considered Christians to Fundies, of course to the rest of the world they are Christian.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Greek Orthodox are not considered Christians to Fundies, of course to the rest of the world they are Christian.

It’s so strange. By fundie standards, did Christianity even exist before the reformation?

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

It’s so strange. By fundie standards, did Christianity even exist before the reformation?

Nope. No one really got Jesus until Martin Luther came along if you listen to Fundies tell it.

Yes very strange. 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

I have seen somewhere on the internet a super confusing timeline of the "true" Christian church that fundy's can believe in.  It includes pretty much every subgroup of christians like the Lollards or Albigensians that were considered heretical by the Roman Catholic Church.  Their reasoning seemed to be that the RCC was always the work of satan trying to stop "true" Christians from practicing their faith.  The amount of mental gymnastic it takes to believe this is astounding.

• Love 9

Just watching the video of Priscilla, laying in bed, minutes(?) after she gave birth made my lady parts hurt. Pain meds were my best friend after delivering my kids. I hope she at least had a strong dose of ibuprofen.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Just watching the video of Priscilla, laying in bed, minutes(?) after she gave birth made my lady parts hurt. Pain meds were my best friend after delivering my kids. I hope she at least had a strong dose of ibuprofen.

Um, Jesus. 

Apparently Jesus likes the family of TFDW better than us.

Pain meds are my BFF pretty much after getting my teeth cleaned. (JK, but not by much!)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, lianau said:

here are the names of Agape's siblings 

Enoch , Alatheia , Timothy, Nehemiah, Elijah , Charis , Sophia, Stephen, Isaiah and Caleb 

Shades of the Jeubs. Agape-a, Enoch-a, Aletheia, Timothy-a, Nehemiah, Elijah, Charis-a, Sophia, Stephen-a, Isaiah, and Caleb-a.