Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Lunera said:

https://throughtheconcrete.com/2018/06/20/i-can-no-longer-say-im-a-christian/

I don't think we've talked about this girl here but she is a Duggar friend and has attended the last few Duggar weddings. She wrote a post about no longer considering herself a Christian.

Wow! I haven't followed her that closely, but whenever I'd come across a post of hers, I'd find it interesting how her views were changing and how she'd try to mesh what she was learning of the world with her religioud beliefs. She reminds me a bit of someone I know. The person was  Catholic, religious in many ways but politically liberal in others (super fiscally liberal but anything involving sex and reproduction and she was more hardcore than the pope). She went to law school and slowly but surely, her views started changing, to the point where she just considers herself a cultural catholic now. I've been wondering if Krista would follow a similar path. 

• Love 2

If they are going to call him Cade, why not just name him that.  I hate male names once they get into 3 and 4 and frankly even jr.  Give the kid his own identity.  Yes we had a III and a IV in our extended family.  I called IV Quad for 3 years.

• Love 16

I watched Tori's and Bobby's honeymoon episode on OnDemand.  Tori was in awe of California's beauty.  She kept saying she just wanted to travel and see everything.

And then she goes and gets pregnant right away so we'll see how her travel dreams pan out.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Bobby and Tori announced the sex of their baby today:

Boy. Robert Ellis Smith IV

Lawson said that they're going to call him Cade. WTF?

Didn't holy princess Erin and her servant do the same thing? Name a boy Number IV and then call him by a completely unrelated name? 

Isn't it against some fundie law for a married man to not wear a wedding ring? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Heathen said:

Didn't holy princess Erin and her servant do the same thing? Name a boy Number IV and then call him by a completely unrelated name? 

Isn't it against some fundie law for a married man to not wear a wedding ring? 

Family tradition vs what we actually want to name the kid if it was a free decision on our part  . 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Heathen said:

Chad and his son Carson are actually named Charles Stephen Paine III & IV.  Chad's dad goes by Stephen Paine.

(edited)
16 minutes ago, Heathen said:

I believe that's what I said. 

I was pointing out how dumb it is. Their actual name isn't even part of their legal name. 

The Bates family big announcement is that Josie is engaged. I still can't believe they let her get engaged at 18 and before Carlin.

Screenshot_20180621-232139-576x1024.thumb.png.c1150f283b211abbefb51805f5857fef.png

Edited by Lunera
  • Love 2

He (Josie B's guy) has a job. She did the same thing with Alyssa (teenage and married before her older sisters)?

My feeling is Kelly Bates tries to marry off her daughters so they won't rebel too much. Since Josie has a real job, it would make sense that her mother wants her married and in the home. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Lunera said:

I don't think we've talked about this girl here but she is a Duggar friend and has attended the last few Duggar weddings. She wrote a post about no longer considering herself a Christian.

This makes me sad only in the sense that she is probably more Christ-following than the “Christians” who have turned her off of the faith.

• Love 8

Josie was allowed to get engaged because her boyfriend has been around for years and waited for her. She will be in good hands, he's a plumber, he'll always have a good job. 

I'm happy for her. She got the guy that truly loved her and waited for her not a random fundie her dad picked out for her.

• Love 13

Josie and Alyssa are old souls. Compared to Kendra and Joy, she is light years ahead in terms of maturity. Kelton has a good job and his family owns their own business (and when I say "business" I mean an actual endeavor that provides services in exchange for money, not a "ministry" or "print shop." 

From what I've seen of Kelton on BUB, I really like him and I think he has a good head on his shoulders. This is one of the few Fundie engagements that doesn't have me shaking my head in disappointment.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Fuzzysox said:

Josie was allowed to get engaged because her boyfriend has been around for years and waited for her. She will be in good hands, he's a plumber, he'll always have a good job. 

I'm happy for her. She got the guy that truly loved her and waited for her not a random fundie her dad picked out for her.

Is this plumber boyfriend the one who's mother died during childbirth?  If so, hopefully he won't be quick to be quiverful.  Although the mom died during her 5th birth, only.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, louannems said:

Is this plumber boyfriend the one who's mother died during childbirth?  If so, hopefully he won't be quick to be quiverful.  Although the mom died during her 5th birth, only.

Yes! He is a dreamboat!

Where is the official announcement? I can't find it and I forgot to watch the Bates last night.

• Love 1
(edited)
58 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

The gotomefund closes tonight.

Sister Accident Ruins Car

$2,592 of $20,000 goal

Raised by 52 people in 7 days

Four more donations made today.  The total is now $2,602.  If she shuts it down, she'll probably wait till midnight.

These donors probably don't know anything about the new car they received seven days ago.  The way GoFundMe is set up, Nurie's original post is what you see when you go to the page.  You have to click on a tiny "updates" button to find out that they already got a car and that donations will not be used for that purpose.  That updates button is not very noticeable and is easy to overlook.  Plus, Jill R. removed all the posts about the new car (including the video) from her Facebook page.  This just proves how deceitful and money-grubbing she really is.

Counting On 2.png

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

Josie and Kelton are similar to Alyssa and John. John was around 1.5 to 2 years before he and Alyssa were engaged. IIRC they officially started courting on her 18th birthday and were engaged a month later. John had a stable job at the HVAC family business.

Alyssa and Josie were very close. They shared a room until Alyssa left home. I remember that during the rehearsal dinner for her wedding, Alyssa talked about their closeness and how much she would miss Josie. Josie went up to the stage to comfort Alyssa. I also remember being surprised that at 19 and 14 years old they would be so close. BitterApple's observation that they are old souls clarifies their relationship to me. 

• Love 8
35 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Four more donations made today.  The total is now $2,602.  If she shuts it down, she'll probably wait till midnight.

These donors probably don't know anything about the new car they received seven days ago.  The way GoFundMe is set up, Nurie's original post is what you see when you go to the page.  You have to click on a tiny "updates" button to find out that they already got a car and that donations will not be used for that purpose.  That updates button is not very noticeable and is easy to overlook.  Plus, Jill R. removed all the posts about the new car (including the video) from her Facebook page.  This just proves how deceitful and money-grubbing she really is.

Counting On 2.png

And the poor people who have to wait till payday to donate are now trickling in their hard earned dimes.  Eighty dollars by 4 people.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, louannems said:

And the poor people who have to wait till payday to donate are now trickling in their hard earned dimes.  Eighty dollars by 4 people.

I couldn’t believe she mentioned that in the now deleted video. It was something like, so many asked us to keep the page up because they needed to wait until payday to donate. Grrrrrr

• Love 10

What happened to Kelton's mother? 

1 hour ago, louannems said:

(edited)
46 minutes ago, Heathen said:

What happened to Kelton's mother? 

Her name was Kristy Dotson Balka.  In the online obituary, it just says she died during the birth of her 5th child, no specifics given.  The most common cause of obstetric death is hemorrhage. Things like amniotic fluid embolism or CVA (stroke) are other more common causes of death in childbirth.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5
On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:56 PM, Westiepeach said:

Um, no. Nurie does not like she was under water at any time. Makeup? check. Hair? check. Smile? check. Clothes not waterlogged/muddy? Check. Hmmm ...

When you're head down all you need is enough water to cover your nose and mouth.  Since she was restrained and couldn't move her head much to avoid it, I imagine a few inches of water is all that's needed.  To me, Nurie's "bangs" have the look of rain over hairspray - it looks crunchier than normal.  And Kaylee's eyebrow has been drawn back over the betadine, so Jill surely refreshed their mask of makeup.

Jill is inherently skeptical, but the picture of the car tells the story, IMO.  It's not hard to believe they were in danger of drowning.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

If they are going to call him Cade, why not just name him that.  I hate male names once they get into 3 and 4 and frankly even jr.  Give the kid his own identity.  Yes we had a III and a IV in our extended family.  I called IV Quad for 3 years.

I agree.  It drove me crazy when Serena Williams named her daughter after the child's father.  So patriarchal.  Serena almost died having this child, if she has to be named after someone, why not her mother?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, louannems said:

Yes, PAYDAY from actual JOBS.  Something Jilly is not familiar with. She doesn't care one wit about people who are breaking their backs to properly care for their own children, who reach into their small wallets to give to this disgusting witch with a capital B.  So including the car they've grifted in excess of $19,600!!!  This really disgusts me.  It makes me physically ill.

• Love 14
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:15 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

They eyeliner in question is Kat Von D's tattoo liner. 

Since we're going a little off topic, I feel the need to add that Kat Von D is an anti-vaxxer and anti-Semite (she once sent a signed picture to a woman with "Rot in hell Jewbag" and burning Star of David and swastika).

People are swearing off her makeup and there are plenty of suggestions on line for products that are as long lasting, at the same price or even less.

I'm sure Jill and family buy cheaper than cheap products.  KVD is notoriously over priced.  I do think that the girls had their makeup touched up before the threesome photo.  Kaylee's left eye had been scrubbed with betadine and yet her drawn on eyebrow pencil looks equally dark as the right.

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

Yes! He is a dreamboat!

Where is the official announcement? I can't find it and I forgot to watch the Bates last night.

The Bateses' big announcement during the FB Live was the gender/name of Tori's fetus. They didn't mention Josie at all.

None of the Bateses' social media have announced it yet (unless there's something on the blog...I never check that anymore).

Edited by Sew Sumi
3 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

Yes! He is a dreamboat!

Actually, I forgot Tori's gender reveal was the actual announcement. Josie's engagement was leaked by the photographer. She made a whole post about it too but deleted it. 

18 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Since we're going a little off topic, I feel the need to add that Kat Von D is an anti-vaxxer and anti-Semite (she once sent a signed picture to a woman with "Rot in hell Jewbag" and burning Star of David and swastika).

People are swearing off her makeup and there are plenty of suggestions on line for products that are as long lasting, at the same price or even less.

I'm sure Jill and family buy cheaper than cheap products.  KVD is notoriously over priced.  I do think that the girls had their makeup touched up before the threesome photo.  Kaylee's left eye had been scrubbed with betadine and yet her drawn on eyebrow pencil looks equally dark as the right.

I have never purchased any of her products because she has problematic to me for awhile.  I was just answering the question.  There is no way that Jill has the money to buy her daughters anything but the cheapest of drugstore cosmetics.   

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have never purchased any of her products because she has problematic to me for awhile.  I was just answering the question.  There is no way that Jill has the money to buy her daughters anything but the cheapest of drugstore cosmetics.   

I didn't think you were endorsing the product, I just know that some of this info is new for some.  The anti-vaxx stuff is new, for instance.

• Love 2
(edited)
23 hours ago, Lunera said:

This might be nitpicking, but I can’t help it as it’s the first thing I noticed on the photo.

It appears as if they each asked for their own damn check at the restaurant.  For a meal of chicken fingers, ice water & dessert. Seriously?!?! Are they really so bad at math that they are unable to divide by six?

It’s not like one person ate/drank $50 more than anyone else and the bill was divided evenly, which sucks. I do hate that and have no problem with asking for a separate check if I know I will be in that position.

For as much as these young ladies go out to eat and “fellowship”, one would think they’d learn some basic restaurant etiquette when dining as a party of six, like having cash on them or taking turns paying.

While some restaurants automatically include a gratuity for parties of six, and the service isn’t always good because lazy servers don’t have to try/work hard, the gratuity isn’t legally mandated, despite what the final check says. (I was in a party of four while on vacation and I not only had to send my burger back three times, but I also had to hunt down other servers for a refill of Diet Coke because our server was MIA the entire time. No way was I going to pay an automatic gratuity for that arsehole, so I spoke to management. They comped the entire bill.) 

Zero snark aside, beyond the whole “they’re at a casual dining restaurant/they don’t know better/that’s how it’s always been done” stuff, are these young ladies really that cheap, naive or unable divide by six? Inquiring minds want to know! 

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 2
(edited)

To be fair, we only know what the poster had. Other people may have had different things. I don't think they split one meal like that 6 ways. 

edit:: i dearly and severly misread the post above me i apologize and will go get some sleep. you're right. it's weird. When my friends and i go out to eat (rarely, as we're millenials) it's three of us max and depending, we split the bill or get one to pay. 6 seems like a lot to split the bill on like that.

Edited by allonsyalice
i need More Sleep and better critical thinking skills.
  • Love 1

I worked as a waitress for many years during high school, college, and thereafter. Splitting checks on the computer is no big deal, in fact generally you get larger tips that way!

• Love 17
(edited)

The dessert was probably free because it was someone's birthday month and everyone else, besides Krista, probably ordered salad and water, and left no tip. 

Edited by Lunera
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

When you're head down all you need is enough water to cover your nose and mouth.  Since she was restrained and couldn't move her head much to avoid it, I imagine a few inches of water is all that's needed.  To me, Nurie's "bangs" have the look of rain over hairspray - it looks crunchier than normal.  And Kaylee's eyebrow has been drawn back over the betadine, so Jill surely refreshed their mask of makeup.

Jill is inherently skeptical, but the picture of the car tells the story, IMO.  It's not hard to believe they were in danger of drowning.

The car was upside down, which means that Nurie was on her back.  It also means that the muddy water completely covered her hair and face and nose, if Nurie was drowning.  In the picture of her at the hospital, she doesn't look like a muddy mess to me.

Counting On 2.png

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Farmfam said:

I worked as a waitress for many years during high school, college, and thereafter. Splitting checks on the computer is no big deal, in fact generally you get larger tips that way!

That's good to know.  I tip 20% unless the service was just terrible.  We only eat at a restaurant monthly, if that.

The occasional pizza delivery person gets at least 5 bucks.  If I can't tip, I don't order or go out.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Mollie said:

Counting On 2.png

It is after 9:30 p.m. in West Virginia, and the fundraising page has not been taken down.  Jill and Nurie both promised it would be gone on Friday.  Friday is almost over.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Her name was Kristy Dotson Balka.  In the online obituary, it just says she died during the birth of her 5th child, no specifics given.  The most common cause of obstetric death is hemorrhage. Things like amniotic fluid embolism or CVA (stroke) are other more common causes of death in childbirth.

Has Mr remarried?

6 minutes ago, Catfin said:

Has Mr remarried?

On the Bates show, it seemed he is still single.  He just kept saying how after his wife died, he just "poured" himself into his kids.

Kelton also mentioned how glad he was to have a dad who just "poured" into the kids.  Gothard Speak I know, but it sort of made me gag.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

The Bateses' big announcement during the FB Live was the gender/name of Tori's fetus. They didn't mention Josie at all.

None of the Bateses' social media have announced it yet (unless there's something on the blog...I never check that anymore).

In Touch just posted an article about the engagment complete with lots of photos of her, Kelton, and her ring. 

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

How did she know the exact angle to make their heads so hugely out of proportion?  At least I hope it is just an optical illusion.......

Any South Park fans?

The photos of the kids remind me of "Animals Closeup with a Wide Angle Lens"

• Love 2
(edited)

I guess the Josie/Melton pics were released after the formal announcement on UP earlier tonight., or they found the photographer's IG page. ?

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
(edited)

I actually have more faith in Josie and Kelton than I do Carlin and Evan or Tori and Bobby. Josie has a quiet maturity about her and Kelton has a real job that will pay the bills and keep them in comfort. I'm hoping they don't prove me wrong...

Edited by Loves2Dance
  • Love 9