Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

The angle on Jill's post-baby body picture is so weird.  It's like her lower body is angled away from the camera or something.  At first I thought she was wearing tight-fitting blue pants tucked into black boots.  Then I realized Jill considers pants-wearing women harlots, and looked again and saw it was just a tight-fitting skirt.  Much more holy.

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

So I guess I’m going to Hell. Or at least to the prayer closet.  Either way, I’m bringing the margaritas and a ceiling fan.   I’m sure it’s hot and stuffy in both places.  

Since I'm probably headed to hell as well, I think I'll take some teak wood. If it's firey, then I can find a steamy vent and make a sauna.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Lady Edith said:

What the WHAT?!?  This gets me.  Who really cares what a woman wears to church or any other day?  To these folks women really ARE chattel. 

This line in particular gets me... 

“Your body is work of art that God has graciously gifted to your husband, and you should not be hiding your beauty.”

GIFTED TO YOUR HUSBAND?!?  Your BODY is a GIFT to your HUSBAND?!?  Like a TV for his man cave or a new XBox.  Property, property, property.  

https://biblicalgenderroles.com/2014/07/11/7-biblical-principles-for-how-to-dress-as-a-christian-woman/

Bull crap.  Why isn’t a man’s body a gift to his wife?  Oh yeah, women don’t have urges that need to be righteously fulfilled...

And the author graciously allows his daughters and wife to wear pants in certain circumstances.  How big of him. I guess Jim Bob and Chimpy and their ilk aren’t so gracious.  Seriously, if my spouse told me how I should dress I would laugh in his face.  

And besides, does God really care how women dress?  It’s in the Bible, but the Bible was written by men.  Men with an agenda.  I am an Orthodox Christian but I still look at some of what is said in the Bible with side eye.  

So I guess I’m going to Hell. Or at least to the prayer closet.  Either way, I’m bringing the margaritas and a ceiling fan.   I’m sure it’s hot and stuffy in both places.  

Well said, Lady E! Hopefully one of the Maxwells shows up in hell too so that they can keep your fan nice and clean. My money's on Steve, but I don't think Lucifer wants to deal with that beige killjoy.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

What the WHAT?!?  This gets me.  Who really cares what a woman wears to church or any other day?  To these folks women really ARE chattel. 

“Your body is work of art that God has graciously gifted to your husband, and you should not be hiding your beauty.”

GIFTED TO YOUR HUSBAND?!?  Your BODY is a GIFT to your HUSBAND?!?  Like a TV for his man cave or a new XBox.  Property, property, property.  

https://biblicalgenderroles.com/2014/07/11/7-biblical-principles-for-how-to-dress-as-a-christian-woman/

Bull crap.  Why isn’t a man’s body a gift to his wife?  Oh yeah, women don’t have urges that need to be righteously fulfilled...

And the author graciously allows his daughters and wife to wear pants in certain circumstances.  How big of him. I guess Jim Bob and Chimpy and their ilk aren’t so gracious.  Seriously, if my spouse told me how I should dress I would laugh in his face.  

And besides, does God really care how women dress?  It’s in the Bible, but the Bible was written by men.  Men with an agenda.  I am an Orthodox Christian but I still look at some of what is said in the Bible with side eye.  

I literally could not imagine dressing to please anyone other than myself. Sure, I dress sort of modestly (and right out if the 195s most days. I’m trying to decide wether to go dancing tonight, and that brings its own host of “what to wear” problems.) but thats just because I like it. I like being wildly overdressed for every occasion. But like trying to adhere to someone else standards? Someone who thinks because I’n a woman, I should automatically do exactly as told? no thank you. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

That article was certainly a mixed bag.  On one hand I was amazed he said that it was actually okay for a woman to wear a bikini or a sexy dress in a public, but then he says that has to do with pleasing her husband, nothing about pleasing herself.  And of course, he has to remind Christian women to shower each day and to only wear sweatpants if they are doing certain types of work or are ill.  Sweatpants should be rare.  Nor is there any acknowledgement that a woman might not be sitting around each day waiting for the husband to come home,  that she might have a job that keeps her out later than he is.

I usually am home from work before my husband, and I often have changed nto comfy around the house clothes by then.  I can't imagine being married to a man that would actually micromanage what I wear, especially in my own home.

To keep this on topic, I am glad that Jill "Plexus Pink" Rodriguez is persuing proper medical care for little Janessa. That baby is a cutie.  I hope her outcome is better than expected.

• Love 6

My husband works a much earlier shift than I do, so he is home first.   However, he laughs every day as I am in comfy clothes within what he claims is 2 minutes of walking in the door.   I asked him if it bothers him and he said "not at all, I find it hysterical.  It's got to be some kind of record"   I don't mess around people!

• Love 16
4 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

I read the whole article AND all the comments.  This man is a real jerk!  He starts off seemingly reasonable, saying that as long as a woman dresses for the occasion, bikinis, jeans, sexy dresses, etc, are all fine.

And a woman should always dress like her husband likes her to, not how she wishes.

Towards the end of the comments, he states that HE never need dress the way his wife desires, because she is not his equal, she is not his authority, she is not his partner!!!

What a true jerk!

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Normades said:

Well said, Lady E! Hopefully one of the Maxwells shows up in hell too so that they can keep your fan nice and clean. My money's on Steve, but I don't think Lucifer wants to deal with that beige killjoy.

As someone who will be joining you in hell my vote is NO MAXWELLS!  They will certainly be a buzzkill.  We can vote them out right??

• Love 3
(edited)

@Lady Edith That article is truly frightening.  Really, really bad.  "You body is work of art..." Like a painting he bought at a flea market...

(Interesting to go to About Me section where the writer of the blog/article says he can't reveal his real identity, because he will be persecuted.)

I, too, side-eye the bible as a document written by men.

Guess I'm in hell, I mean the prayer closet with y'all.  I'll bring some more fans. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 4
(edited)

If you want to listen to Chuckie Vuolo going on about how women "were not created to have independent identities" but ALWAYS to be looking to a man for leadership -- because she was created FROM man and FOR man -- check this out. The fact that many women DO now think that they have independent identities is clearly the work of God's greatest enemy, the devil, and perhaps the number one factor ruining modern societies, Chuckie says. 

https://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=43004145218

He's very big into all the biblical gender stuff .... 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

If you want to listen to Chuckie Vuolo going on about how women "were not created to have independent identities" but ALWAYS to be looking to a man for leadership -- because she was created FROM man and FOR man -- check this out. The fact that many women DO now think that they have independent identities is clearly the work of God's greatest enemy, the devil, and perhaps the number one factor ruining modern societies, Chuckie says. 

Because I had a bunionectomy/fusion last Monday and I must keep toes above the nose for at least 2 weeks, I listened to the whole sermon. Just how dare a woman believe she is equal to a man!  The ? has corrupted biblical femininity and those feminists have brought about egalitarian!  Oh the horrors!

I literally feel ill when I listen to sermons preaching submission and male headship and our place is only in the home!

Times change!  In bible times, women were property and of course their best bet would be to cling to her man or else she and her children would not be fed.

With higher education, women can and do strike out on their own (a bad thing in this sermon) and are very successful.

Sorry, did not mean to highlight!

• Love 11
20 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Interesting how Diana V has an independent identity.  She has a career as a musician. Wears pants.  Has not had as many kids as the lord willed.  If Chuck actually believed the crap he espouses, none of that would happen. They would be like the Duggars.  I think this is a bunch of bunk. 

• Love 14
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

Interesting how Diana V has an independent identity.  She has a career as a musician. Wears pants.  Has not had as many kids as the lord willed.  If Chuck actually believed the crap he espouses, none of that would happen. They would be like the Duggars.  I think this is a bunch of bunk. 

Or, Chuckles approved her pants wearing, music playing and contraceptive using.  He might be more liberal in certain lifestyle choices than the Duggars but it doesn’t mean he didn’t make those choices for her. BTW, not everyone who doesn’t use contraception has a passel o’kids; it might not be because of anything they did or didn’t do.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 18
21 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

Yeah, I agree that it does seem odd. On the other hand, though, this is far from his only sermon on this topic. He has many of them. Series of things about the absolute necessity of sticking to the "biblical masculine' and "biblical feminine" roles laid out in the Bible. He does acknowledge that there are cases where a woman might be a school principal or in some other leadership position. But in those parts he lays out rules for the constraints on such women and how their primary life principle must still be showing full respect for men's right to be the real and final leaders. 

This had been a huge part of his ministry. Maybe the main part. .... So either he believes it.... or he's just found out that it's an attention-getting gig that gets him lots of invites to speak and more fame than he'd have otherwise .... in which case, he's a big hypocrite in a position of influence who regularly advises other people -- in the name of God -- to do stuff that he personally believes is hooey. 

And although the second of these would actually be worse, in my opinion... either way, I don't think much of it! 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

I'm wondering if Diana V never clued Chuck into a woman's ovulation cycle.  I know waaay too many husbands who have no clue about it and they aren't fundie, they are just like that's her issue.  Working in health care and having friends in it I know of 2 stories over the past 15 or so years - One was a young wife - they had 2 kids and were trying to not get immediately pregnant again, so they were using BC.  She went to her doc with a raging UTI and vaginal infection.  When the doc asked what she was using for birth control - thinking she may have been having a reaction to tha,t the young woman replied, Jelly.  Grape.  Everyone in the room paused.  The doctor finally managed to gain control and asked, um, grape?  The young woman nodded confidently and said that her husband prefered that over strawberry - I kid you not.  The doctor left, came back after composing herself with a sample tube of spermicidal jelly and showed it to the young woman.  She had never seen anything like it. She and her husband thought that jelly meant jelly as in the kind you put on PB&J.  

The other was a young woman my bestie went to high school with who was devistated to learn she was again pregnant with their 4th baby in like 6 years.  She was sobbing and confessed she didn't understand why.  They had been so careful to have sex as far away from her period as possible.  Then began a very long discussion on an ovulation cycle and when you can get pregnant.  Neither of these girls mothers or older sisters gave them any type of knowledge nor did they allow them any private time before marriage with a nurse or doctor, regardless of their age to give them any type of real world info.  I swear I have given so many BC, sex ed, STD impromptu discussions with women close to my age and now daughters because their parents don't feel comfortable about it that I should write a book, or a blog.  Knowledge is power.  

• Love 23
15 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

I think he does believe it, though. That is the belief system I grew up under, and the fact that her husband has decided pants and her being a (part time?) musician are okay in no way changes that. They believe that he has the final say, and that women also should try to avoid leadership-oriented jobs in general. I remember seething through such a sermon as a teenager -- and the message was from a perfectly ordinary-seeming pastor whose wife wore pants. My church full of college educated, pants wearing women also firmly believed and taught wifely submission and the concerns with working outside the home.

My church also taught that the worst thing imaginable would be a female president. I personally know multiple people who would never vote for any woman -- not even a bible thumping conservative like Sarah Palin. They instead voted for some no-name guy running in the Christian Patriot party or something like that, These people generally don't look like the Duggars, so they walk among us, which is scary.

• Love 13

Candace Bure, Kirk Cameron's sister is full on Fundy. She has spoken openly about her husband leading the family and her being a submissive wife. She's worked on the View, does commercials and acts in wholesome movies. She wears pants and some risque (by Fundy standards) dresses as well.

I think it's less about what their wives wear and if they work and more about the husband having the final say. I'm guessing there's a few 'submissive' women out there that have their husbands thinking they have the final say.

• Love 17

I think most of us here are well aware of the Camerons. I've slammed both Kirky and Cammy on this forum. 

This board is more aware of the dangers of the cute, "normal" looking fundies than you give us credit for. As you said, the prettier the package, the more likely people will fall for the bullshit. I think that most of us here are past that.

• Love 9
On 5/21/2018 at 6:10 AM, GeeGolly said:

Candace Bure, Kirk Cameron's sister is full on Fundy. She has spoken openly about her husband leading the family and her being a submissive wife. She's worked on the View, does commercials and acts in wholesome movies. She wears pants and some risque (by Fundy standards) dresses as well.

I think it's less about what their wives wear and if they work and more about the husband having the final say. I'm guessing there's a few 'submissive' women out there that have their husbands thinking they have the final say.

Sounds like Jessa, and Michelle for that matter. Maybe even Anna.

But not Jill, Jinger, or Joy. Not sure about Kendra.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Definitely Jessa and Michelle and I think to a degree, both Anna and Jinger run the families. I think Jill, Joy and Kendra are brainwashed/willing to be happily submissive. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Then again Jessa did let Ben name their firstborn Spurgeon . . . 

• Love 6
On 5/20/2018 at 8:09 PM, DragonFaerie said:

I'm wondering if Diana V never clued Chuck into a woman's ovulation cycle.  I know waaay too many husbands who have no clue about it and they aren't fundie, they are just like that's her issue.  Working in health care and having friends in it I know of 2 stories over the past 15 or so years - One was a young wife - they had 2 kids and were trying to not get immediately pregnant again, so they were using BC.  She went to her doc with a raging UTI and vaginal infection.  When the doc asked what she was using for birth control - thinking she may have been having a reaction to tha,t the young woman replied, Jelly.  Grape.  Everyone in the room paused.  The doctor finally managed to gain control and asked, um, grape?  The young woman nodded confidently and said that her husband prefered that over strawberry - I kid you not.  The doctor left, came back after composing herself with a sample tube of spermicidal jelly and showed it to the young woman.  She had never seen anything like it. She and her husband thought that jelly meant jelly as in the kind you put on PB&J.  

The other was a young woman my bestie went to high school with who was devistated to learn she was again pregnant with their 4th baby in like 6 years.  She was sobbing and confessed she didn't understand why.  They had been so careful to have sex as far away from her period as possible.  Then began a very long discussion on an ovulation cycle and when you can get pregnant.  Neither of these girls mothers or older sisters gave them any type of knowledge nor did they allow them any private time before marriage with a nurse or doctor, regardless of their age to give them any type of real world info.  I swear I have given so many BC, sex ed, STD impromptu discussions with women close to my age and now daughters because their parents don't feel comfortable about it that I should write a book, or a blog.  Knowledge is power.  

That's an urban legend. I've seen several different variations of it in several different mediums. The most common twist is that she has a purple discharge, goes to the ER, and the doctor finds out she's using grape jelly. 

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, Heathen said:

That's an urban legend. I've seen several different variations of it in several different mediums. The most common twist is that she has a purple discharge, goes to the ER, and the doctor finds out she's using grape jelly. 

Might also be a legend, but I do know a nurse that had that actually happen to her - in a small, rural community.  The doctor actually called my dad, also a long time gp in the area to ask if he had come across it before in the area.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:10 AM, GeeGolly said:

Except a typical parent wants more and better for their children. I'm guessing that many parents that have married young would share the pros and cons and let the kids make more informed decisions. However in this case Ben wanted a quick marriage as much as his parents did.

My mom was eighteen when she married and lived a very traditional life.  She would have killed me if I even thought of getting married before finishing college.  In her heart she was a feminist and that's how she raised me.  Get an education so you can support yourself and then marry for love.  I missed out on the second part.  Lol.

• Love 14
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:46 AM, DkNNy79 said:

I know right?  They can't afford to live on their own, but its okay for them to get married so that they don't have sex out of wedlock?  The priorities with these folks are seriously twisted.

Not to mention that a lot of fundies are single issue voters.  Nothing matters but abortions. 

That's because abortion causes school shootings.  Work that one out.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:29 AM, ginger90 said:

Janessa’s Doctor said……

We had a doctor’s appointment today for Janessa with the neurosurgeon. It went GREAT and so far Janessa is defying all the odds in her accomplishments….especially since she is missing her corpus collosum! Thank God! 

I can’t believe our little angel turned ONE month already on May 11th. Today (Wednesday) Janessa is 5 weeks old already! Life SURE is a vapor! I am trying to cherish EVERY moment! 

AC229079-8C26-4762-B7F0-B05B5C07C6B1.jpeg

As long as I was there.........

I LOVE this saying below! You know, the world always accuses Christians of brain “washing” our children.

Guess what, they do the SAME thing with their corrupt philosophy if they teach our children! Except I wouldn’t call it brain “washing”, but rather brain “dirtying”! 

So, let us boldly teach them TRUTH from the FINAL authority – the Word of God – the BIBLE! 

D705FC6B-FDA4-4DF4-BFB9-94C3BF0D53B3.jpeg

I love feisty little Janessa.  She's not only side-eyeing the horrific headband, she's trying her hardest to remove it.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:26 AM, doodlebug said:

Lordy, I hate the fundie insistence on dippy headwear on baby girls!  Poor kid, she looks so silly in that thing.

Ugh, so agreed.  There was a mini-series called Torchwood:  Miracle Day.  The character of Gwen had a baby daughter who was being watched by grandma.   Gwen returns, takes her baby in her arms, frowns at the ridiculous thing on her head, removes it and tosses it on the ground.  Why can't we think of the children?

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, Normades said:

I don’t think the dangers of pretty packaging covering destructive beliefs can be overstated.  It normalizes a dangerous belief system.  While regular posters may be aware of the Camerons, a newbie may not.  We all need to be reminded to dig deeper and not take things at face value in life.  The Camerons are a good reminder of that.  Such attractive, wholesome looking people with really toxic beliefs.

Just my humble opinion.

Bears repeating.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Normades said:

I don’t think the dangers of pretty packaging covering destructive beliefs can be overstated. 

I'm sure it can be to the point of causing people to go the other way.  I think for regular readers it becomes very much a dead horse.  New to the escapades of fundies people do need to be clued in.  I simply skip reading it these days.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Definitely Jessa and Michelle and I think to a degree, both Anna and Jinger run the families. I think Jill, Joy and Kendra are brainwashed/willing to be happily submissive. 

Yeah, i call a lot of that ‘personality’.  If Bin is willing to be told and argued into what beliefs he has by his wife, Jessa will tell him  in long private parent conversation what he has to tell the boys and ‘what their family believes’, and fundie dad will then passively enforce.

• Love 3
(edited)

13 kids and neither one of them knows to support the babies heads.  Idiots.  Chimpy looks like he's about to make a mess in his diapers and like, what the hell, there's another one of these things now?  While Jill is like, Nurie, be a dear and handle the laundry, the little ones and clean the house, mummy needs to do her hair and her nails and put on a truckload of makeup and drink her Plexus to take a photo today!!

Edited by DragonFaerie
  • Love 10

Aside from everything else, I don't know whether it's a weird filter or what, but literally the only feature  on Chimpy's face with any contrast is the space between his front teeth. Everything else, even his eyes, seems dialed back into some other dimension.

I suppose that softening effect is supposed to be flattering. Maybe if they were softened into invisibility it might be an improvement.

• Love 10
(edited)
On 5/21/2018 at 6:10 AM, GeeGolly said:

Edited by Catfin
Trying to remove. No idea why this posted.
26 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Because their heads are full of air? Or boiled mush or something? 

I hope the kid is asleep, although she might just have her eyes closed against the bright sunlight.  If she's awake, her muscle tone seems like it might not be too good.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

Why is neither of them supporting her head???

48041627-A5E6-491C-AC72-6CE792CD65D1.jpeg

This picture startled me into realizing she looks like my husband's ex wife and he looks like her hapless 2nd husband. She has since divorced him, realized she's lesbian, married her partner and bought a biker bar. ? 

• Love 19
40 minutes ago, Portia said:

If you told me that's not Jill's actual hair but in fact a wig from a cheap Dolly Parton Halloween costume, I would 1000% believe you.

The Dolly Halloween hair would be in better condition, though.  That's how you could tell the difference.

• Love 19