Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Because you don't value your daughter an you believe rape victims deserve what they get for being "loose". 

Tabitha's husband is a disgusting piece of trash. Every statement he has made about the situation basically blames his victim for being drunk and available, and that's why he raped her but Jesus forgave him. 

I'd rather spend my life with my cats and sex toys than let a man like that touch me. I hope Tabitha is being treated well.

The woman worked as a stripper too, so he knew she really wanted it anyway.Paraphrasing, but his statement did mention her occupation and heavily implied that she had no bodily autonomy due to her occupation.

• Love 16
8 hours ago, Triple P said:

The woman worked as a stripper too, so he knew she really wanted it anyway.Paraphrasing, but his statement did mention her occupation and heavily implied that she had no bodily autonomy due to her occupation.

Exactly!!!

I mean let's pretend that Tabitha's husband was actually "reformed" through Jesus and had been rehabilitated and remorseful for his crime. The PROPER response would be "when I was younger I did a horrible thing, a very unchrist like thing- I raped a young woman and for that I am truly sorry. I have turned my life around through the grace of Jesus and I am eternally sorry for the hurt I caused another person."....... not "oh yeah she was a stripper the devil made me do it". 

• Love 23
9 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

Knees showing, short skirts and SHORTS on girls the Bates girls have become heathens with their clothes! 

http://www.batesfamilyblog.com/2017/10/double-bates-date.html

Its events like the one they're at where they need pants or long skirts. I can't imagine trying to keep my hoohaa from flashing the world sitting on a blanket and getting up and down.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 6
48 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Its events like the one they're at where they need pants or long skirts. I can't imagine trying to keep my hoohaa from flashing the world sitting on a blanket and getting up and down.

Looks to me like Carlin has on gray bike shorts under that skirt.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Because you don't value your daughter an you believe rape victims deserve what they get for being "loose". 

Tabitha's husband is a disgusting piece of trash. Every statement he has made about the situation basically blames his victim for being drunk and available, and that's why he raped her but Jesus forgave him. 

I'd rather spend my life with my cats and sex toys than let a man like that touch me. I hope Tabitha is being treated well.

Speaking of this mess, did we ever get any wedding photos? I seem to remember the backlash was so fierce that no one posted any photos of their wedding right away. Tabitha isn't on social media, is she? I bet if she ever joins Insta, she will have to turn off comments indefinitely.

Apropos of nothing, I am around Tabitha's age and every night I thank God that I am not seen as an old maid by my loved ones, thereby pressuring me to take the first bozo who comes along. Tabitha isn't bad-looking. She could easily find someone in the real world.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Exactly!!!

I mean let's pretend that Tabitha's husband was actually "reformed" through Jesus and had been rehabilitated and remorseful for his crime. The PROPER response would be "when I was younger I did a horrible thing, a very unchrist like thing- I raped a young woman and for that I am truly sorry. I have turned my life around through the grace of Jesus and I am eternally sorry for the hurt I caused another person."....... not "oh yeah she was a stripper the devil made me do it". 

Don’t forget the ever popular ‘blames her boyfriend for leaving them alone, without which chaperoned absence he never would’ve done anything’.  Cuz everyone knows, unless a man is there to defend you every second, you’re just asking to be raped, really.

He’s not just a pig, sadly; he’s a stupid one.

• Love 15
5 minutes ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Speaking of this mess, did we ever get any wedding photos? I seem to remember the backlash was so fierce that no one posted any photos of their wedding right away. Tabitha isn't on social media, is she? I bet if she ever joins Insta, she will have to turn off comments indefinitely.

Apropos of nothing, I am around Tabitha's age and every night I thank God that I am not seen as an old maid by my loved ones, thereby pressuring me to take the first bozo who comes along. Tabitha isn't bad-looking. She could easily find someone in the real world.

I do remember a wedding photo, but Tim got off social media once people found it and trashed him 10 times to Sunday. 

He's also older than Arwen posted. He was 46 on his wedding day, so there's a 15 year age difference. I hope poor Tabby isn't knocked up yet. I feel sorry for any blessings that they may have. 

• Love 9
Just now, Lunera said:

They should have married her off to JD. He's a bit younger than her but that guy is a really good catch. 

Damn, now THERE'S  a missed opportunity if ever I heard one. I know JD is kind of weird, but in other ways he is very much a good catch. Handy, can fix anything. Has a legit job and legit marketable skills. Not as sanctimonious as some of his relatives. Seems over the entire circus. Is one of the few Duggar kids who could write a real tell-all, since he's been around so long. And, most importantly, no longer idolizes Josh. Tabitha ostensibly knows him well from hanging around the family so long, too. It would have worked. You could argue there was never a spark, but screw sparks over being stuck with a rapist!

• Love 22
1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

And this response:  "I hope these girls are both engaged by the end of the year!"

They probably will. They are very ambitious when it comes to getting stuff like an engagement done.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Damn, now THERE'S  a missed opportunity if ever I heard one. I know JD is kind of weird, but in other ways he is very much a good catch. Handy, can fix anything. Has a legit job and legit marketable skills. Not as sanctimonious as some of his relatives. Seems over the entire circus. Is one of the few Duggar kids who could write a real tell-all, since he's been around so long. And, most importantly, no longer idolizes Josh. Tabitha ostensibly knows him well from hanging around the family so long, too. It would have worked. You could argue there was never a spark, but screw sparks over being stuck with a rapist!

Plus he seems to have a dry sense of humor and that usually means someone is a smart ass as well and that could be fun.

• Love 10

I just realized that we hadn't mentioned the engagement of John Maxwell (yes, those Maxwells) to Chelsy Bontranger, whose family was on 17/18/19 Kids once. *That* wedding will be a two hour fundie fest, likely led by good ole Stevehovah himself. I hope they supply chairs for the wedding party.

Here's the  "hot" Maxwell, Chelsy, and some spackle. Of course, he bought his house debt-free. 

W

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I just realized that we hadn't mentioned the engagement of John Maxwell (yes, those Maxwells) to Chelsy Bontranger, whose family was on 17/18/19 Kids once. *That* wedding will be a two hour fundie fest, likely led by good ole Stevehovah himself. I hope they supply chairs for the wedding party.

I'm not too sure of that.  Steve didn't even want to announce the engagement until Chelsy's family announced it first and he kept getting messages asking why he wasn't talking about it.  Then he had Sarah post a passive aggressive statement saying that their family tradition was to keep such things private until after the wedding, but since people were now aware of it, they'd acknowledge it. 

No mention that his oldest son was engaged and the Maxwells posted about it nonstop until the bride to be told her father that she'd changed her mind and had him cancel the wedding only a week before the date.  Speculation is that once she spent more time with the Maxwells she realized she couldn't live that way.  Anyway, the Maxwells have tried to hide engagements ever since until the new bride has been well and truely sucked into the family.

Anyway, since Chelsy's family let the cat out of the bag, I'm hoping that means that they'll resist letting Steve take over the wedding.  I read somewhere that they've already announced a venue and an officiant that wasn't Steve approved.  It'll be interesting to see if he can rule over John and Chelsy's daily life with as much control as he has over his other son's lives.

Steve's severe control issues is probably why none of his daughters have ever gotten close to being married.  He can't let them get out under his thumb unless they marry a man who would completely submit to Steve, and men who would do that and are also Godly enough for Steve are pretty darned rare.

• Love 9

Here's the  "hot" Maxwell, Chelsy, and some spackle. Of course, he bought his house debt-free. 

W

Is Chelsy part of the family that married off a bunch of boys all in one weekend? That was a strange group. I believe some Duggars and or Bates were spotted in the wedding video that was online for a short time.

• Love 1

Yes, same family. Duggars were seated in the second row (it was just Mechelle, Josiah, and a couple of the Lost Girls). Didn't see any evidence of Bateses; I've never seen/heard of any interaction s between those families. 

They streamed both the double wedding as well as the singleton the next day, but they were only kept on the You Tube page for a very short time. Steve might actually allow this. I'd watch a Maxwell wedding to count the references to DEATH. 

I certainly hope that the Bontrangers can keep Steve's input into this affair to a minimum. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ozziemom said:

Is Chelsy part of the family that married off a bunch of boys all in one weekend? That was a strange group. I believe some Duggars and or Bates were spotted in the wedding video that was online for a short time.

How many chaperones do they have for when Chelsy visits? I’m sure John isn’t allowed to live in his house until he’s wed, just like broken engagement brother had to move back home to keep from pulling his pud.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Zahdii said:I

No mention that his oldest son was engaged and the Maxwells posted about it nonstop until the bride to be told her father that she'd changed her mind and had him cancel the wedding only a week before the date. 

Wasn't that the third brother, Joseph?  

Yeah, the girl who broke off the engagement the day of the shower, a week before the wedding, was engaged to Joe. Christopher also had a failed courtship, but they announced his next one before the wedding. This was before Liz Munck, my heroine, made her run for it, and the Maxwells subsequently clammed up regarding the relationship status of the kidults.

• Love 6

Part of the problem is finding fundies that meet the requirements. Mr. Maxwell probably is looking for someone who matches the family in religiousness. He also wants son-in-laws who are able to provide for his daughters to his standards. (His sons own a house "debt free" probably because he chips in somewhat.) 

JB had high standards originally on both of those. He wanted his daughters to marry guys who were Gothard?/very religious guys and who made a certain salary. He couldn't find anybody who met those so he let Jessa court Ben. (Derick I think with Walmart job met the financial piece and was willing to go along with their brand of fundamentalism which made him a strong candidate.) 

Steve Maxwell might have to relax his standards if he wants girls to get married.  

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Let’s hope they aren’t lower than Mr Paine’s.  Look what poor Tabitha got stuck with.

I agree with you on that. 

I was just pointing out finding super religious guys, who have quite a bit of money isn't easy. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2

Creepy as he is, he's probably one of those guys who is so super-obsessed with his daughter's purity that he doesn't want them getting married at all. He'd rather have them remain 'untouched' forever.

• Love 5

He also wants the free labor they provide, especially now that there are so many little grandkids and only three mothers. The Maxwell compound operates much like the Duggars' in that regard. They need auntie slaves to keep things running smoothly. Two Maxwell wives are expecting their fifth kid right now. One has a history of risky pregnancies and has required bedrest (the other one is a straight up broodmare, 5 in 5 years). Joe still only has one (another on the way, I think, I sort of forgot about the Maxwells for several months), but those numbers will only continue to climb, especially now with the Bontrager girl being absorbed into the borg. 

Steve and Terrified also need at least one of them to take care of them in their dotage. I think Poor Sarah will be chained there until they die. The other two? They might get out in their late 20's, once the next generation is old enough to form their own slave systems. Only Abby is old enough to qualify now, and she's just 9 or so. 

• Love 10

The Maxwells and Duggars go waaaaay back. The Maxwells were never Gothard, but I think they met through homeschooling conferences. The father, Steve, homechurches at rest homes with wheelchair bound seniors as a captive audience. He rules his family even more strictly than Boob ever did. The girls just got out of frumpers in the last couple of years. Steve had 3 kids, had a vasectomy, REALLY found Jesus, reversed his vasectomy, and had 5 more kids. Then his wife got PPD which was only treated by her quitting Pepsi. 

They have a blog that Poor Sarah, aged 35, ostensibly writes, but he edits the shit out of it, denying posts that aren't totally up his ass. 

He's a true piece of work. 

eta: Here's their Titus 2 blog, because Teri(fied) is such a Titus 2 woman (riiiiight). Or, if you're an asshole like me, it's the Tits2 blog. :D

https://blog.titus2.com/

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 10

Oh, maybe Anna (Marie...there's two Annas, so the inlaw got her middle name tacked on) is only on her fourth. Still imperssive since they just celebrated their 7th anniversary. I know for sure that Melanie is going on #5, but likely close to her last, thank goodness, at 40-ish. 

A lot of my gateway fundies (and the Maxwells would be included) have stopped blogging, opting for FB or IG, which they're often setting to private. Fundie watching isn't nearly as prevalent as it used to be just a few years ago. :(

12 minutes ago, Abstract said:

Melanie has 5 already. Anna (Marie) is expecting her 5th.

Oh, so I was almost right the first time. I just thought Melanie was pregnant with the 5th now. Like I said, I took an unintentional Maxwell break. There was nothing really going on with them that I hadn't read 50 times before. Came back to see they'd been to Colorado (again), little girls helping in the kitchen (again), workout humblebrags (fairly new for them, but yes, again). Anna Marie whelping (again). They're as boring as dry toast. 

• Love 3

Joe still only has one (another on the way, I think, I sort of forgot about the Maxwells for several months), but those numbers will only continue to climb, especially now with the Bontrager girl being absorbed into the borg. 

The Maxwells  are the borg without the fun & the mirth.  ;)

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

The Maxwells and Duggars go waaaaay back. The Maxwells were never Gothard, but I think they met through homeschooling conferences. The father, Steve, homechurches at rest homes with wheelchair bound seniors as a captive audience. He rules his family even more strictly than Boob ever did. The girls just got out of frumpers in the last couple of years. Steve had 3 kids, had a vasectomy, REALLY found Jesus, reversed his vasectomy, and had 5 more kids. Then his wife got PPD which was only treated by her quitting Pepsi. 

They have a blog that Poor Sarah, aged 35, ostensibly writes, but he edits the shit out of it, denying posts that aren't totally up his ass. 

eta: Here's their Titus 2 blog, because Teri(fied) is such a Titus 2 woman (riiiiight). Or, if you're an asshole like me, it's the Tits2 blog. :D

You forgot the part about the Pepsi!!!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

It's there. End of paragraph. LOL

I would NEVER forget the Pepsi! 

And they named their bus Uriah. 

I have a friend who works at a public health facility in Kansas in which the Maxwells frequent  in order to protest the ebil abortions. They said it’s word to see them since they used to follow the Maxwell blog. 

Why does chelsy look like she's 55?

looks like home renos are the new fundie activity for engaged couples. 

Where are the bontragers from?  I believe I recognize the name from the fundie summer camp I attended as a teen. 

• Love 3

Iowa. They may resemble a lot of people because their roots are Mennonite, and they tend to have kind of pointy facial features. 

Ah, Uriah, RIP. And @FakeJoshDuggar I know who you're talking about in KS. I can't believe she sees them in the wild! 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yes, same family. Duggars were seated in the second row (it was just Mechelle, Josiah, and a couple of the Lost Girls).  

Weddings are probably meat markets for single fundies of marriage age , so we take one Josiah in need of a wife and take a few Lost Girls as decoys with us .

1 hour ago, pinkelephant3 said:

Is there anywhere I can read the Craziness of all these random families? I love diving deep into the crazy. 

FreeJinger covers a good amount of them (inculding an updated list of who's expecting and courting )

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

You forgot to post a WARNING that once you read their blog your life will never be the same. Be afraid, be very afraid that you have entered into some kind of timewarp cult with the Maxhells.

They are truly the most joyless group of people I have ever seen. No fun, no friends, no church, no life outside of housework, working out, and manual labor.  I would hazard to believe their kids are more messed up in the head than the Duggar kids.

I will say that at least, they are CLEAN.  You could probably eat off their floor and not suffer any ill effects. What they’ve done to poor Sarah is beyond cruel, and they make her blog about it that she likes it.  Her blog is like a hostage video that she is reassuring us that her captors treat her humanely.

• Love 15
On 10/25/2017 at 7:29 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Why didn't I take my own advice and not go to the blog?

Oh, Lort what boring people that are raising the next generation of cult members in FRUMPERS! Seriously! That's child abuse! Ok enough ranting I have more pages to get through. *yes, I like abuse!

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

They are truly the most joyless group of people I have ever seen. No fun, no friends, no church, no life outside of housework, working out, and manual labor.  I would hazard to believe their kids are more messed up in the head than the Duggar kids.

I will say that at least, they are CLEAN.  You could probably eat off their floor and not suffer any ill effects. What they’ve done to poor Sarah is beyond cruel, and they make her blog about it that she likes it.  Her blog is like a hostage video that she is reassuring us that her captors treat her humanely.

Steve, the father, literally rails against doing anything fun.  No ball games, no reading, nothing that is not Jesus based.  He specifically forbade his kids to play sports, they also don't watch TV or see movies. 

They do appear to have a higher standard of living than most huge fundie families.  They sell all sorts of home organization type stuff on their blog and also travel around to various churches preaching and singing and playing music like others do and seem to make a decent living at it.  On the blog, there are lots of photos of their house which, in addition to being quite large, is very clean and updated.  The kids don't sleep in huge dorm rooms, either; they seem to have their own rooms or just a couple share.  The bus they use for touring also looks to be in good shape and nicely fitted out for travel.

They post a lot of household projects that they do and it appears they actually know what they are doing and use good quality materials.  I believe Steve was an engineer before he found God and stopped working; but it's pretty obvious he has a lot of practical experience in building and household repairs, etc.

It seems like a lot of these fundie fathers are very much in favor of the stay at home daughter concept to the point where, like the original SAHD's the Botkins, all the girls are well into their 30's and not married.  It seems to be an ego thing for the dads who love having the daughters fussing over him and waiting on him hand and foot (and they are schooled in doing just that). 

• Love 13

Two small corrections, @doodlebug. They no longer perform music and have no seminars scheduled this year. The band has pretty much married off, and the marrieds have never traveled with the nuclear part of the family. 

Also, Uriah the motorhome gave up the ghost a few years ago. They travel by van these days. And as far as I can tell, the only trips they've made this year were to Colorado for their annual (what you would call a) vacation and the state fair. There, they face paint and hand out tracts. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3