Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I've wondered about this. Michael and Brandon courted for a lifetime (in fundie circles). They started courting January 2014 and married August 2015. Benessa I could understand courting so long because Ben was so young. But Michael and Brandon teenagers. Plus weren't they "special friends" before Brandon officially asked her to court?

IIRC, they had met several years prior to starting a courtship. The only problem was Michael fell in love instantly while Brandon didn't even remember who she was until his family decided it was time to marry and "nudged" him in her direction. He was also in school at the time and was pretty adamant about not getting engaged until after he graduated. 

• Love 4

I think Brandon would have been quite happy remaining "special friends" with Michaela...emphasis on FRIENDS. The guy, for whatever reason, just didn't seem to be excited about getting married. It was Michaela who held all of the enthusiasm.

• Love 7

I think Brandon, at heart, is truly a loner.  Nothing wrong with that.  I also think, having no idea how many siblings Brandon has, he is overwhelmed by the Bates family.  I get the feeling Brandon is not a noise person.

Edited by flyingdi
  • Love 11
14 hours ago, BitterApple said:

IIRC, they had met several years prior to starting a courtship. The only problem was Michael fell in love instantly while Brandon didn't even remember who she was until his family decided it was time to marry and "nudged" him in her direction. He was also in school at the time and was pretty adamant about not getting engaged until after he graduated. 

Yeah because I remember Brandon being talked about incessantly before there was even a courtship announced.

I'm guessing he went the David Waller route of getting married because he had to.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

I know Brandon pings a lot of people's gaydar but I don't see him that way.  I quite honestly don't see Brandon being attracted to either sex or enjoying anything physical at all.

I agree. I definitely don't think he's gay either. I think he was perfectly happy being single and probably would've married in his early 30s if it weren't for the cultural pressure pushing him to get hitched fairly young. 

• Love 9
On 10/20/2017 at 0:42 PM, flyingdi said:

I know Brandon pings a lot of people's gaydar but I don't see him that way.  I quite honestly don't see Brandon being attracted to either sex or enjoying anything physical at all.

Well, that might explain why she is not pregnant yet. Did anyone remember to give them the “Legos Talk?” ?

• Love 7
22 hours ago, flyingdi said:

I just see Brandon and Michael both after sex being like, "Eh, is that what the fuss is all about?  Well, I guess it'll give us a baby."

I am not so sure about that when it comes to Michael. I remember on the episode about their honeymoon they had some afternoon activity and then were trying to decide the rest of their day and Michael was pretty adament about thinking they should "go back to their room for a bit" and she could not hide her big goofy grin about it. Brandon didn't seem to care one way or the other. 

• Love 3

My former husband didn't like to be touched either. Not a good thing for a married couple. If this is true of Brandon, this is not a good relationship thing for Michaela. She may begin to feel rejected by her husband as she seems to be a 'touchy feely' person. Not a good combo going on over there.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, floridamom said:

My former husband didn't like to be touched either. Not a good thing for a married couple. If this is true of Brandon, this is not a good relationship thing for Michaela. She may begin to feel rejected by her husband as she seems to be a 'touchy feely' person. Not a good combo going on over there.

Yeah if someone's primary love language is "physical touch" and their spouse isn't a naturally affectionate person (I am NOT, that's my last love language) that may cause problems. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yeah if someone's primary love language is "physical touch" and their spouse isn't a naturally affectionate person (I am NOT, that's my last love language) that may cause problems. 

Yup...my languages are physical touch and verbal confirmation (compliments and such), which my husband tends to brush off personally and not give out easily. His are hard work (which I certainly appreciate, but don't naturally see as a loving gesture) and generosity, as in buying gifts that I don't need and would much rather save the money on. Amazing that  we'e been together going on 34 years!

• Love 10
On 10/20/2017 at 0:42 PM, flyingdi said:

Yeah I don't think he's gay. It seems like a case when you're working for IBLP/ATI you have to project some sort of family image. Even though Gothard himself was not married or had children.

• Love 3

I don't think Brandon's gay either I agree he seems just not interested in marriage. I don't think he ever wanted to get married. Michael is the opposite. She was definitely way more into him and so happy to be with him. He never seems happy to be around Michael's siblings although to be fair that probably would be my reaction too. Seeing how the Bates siblings behaved in their grandparents' house and Alyssa's I wouldn't want to be around them either.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Yeah I don't think he's gay. It seems like a case when you're working for IBLP/ATI you have to project some sort of family image. Even though Gothard himself was not married or had children.

I was just thinking the same. Got hard was never married, so why the need for everyone else to be?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, lianau said:

Coming back to Paine baby 3 , Everly Hope does not get along with Paine , to many Ps . Everly Hopaine  .

Yes, and the word hope before pain just doesn't quite work either. If they Everly Hope for Paine it should be directed at Derick's Twittering fingers.

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Yes, and the word hope before pain just doesn't quite work either. If they Everly Hope for Paine it should be directed at Derick's Twittering fingers.

Or just Ever Paine. Paine is a rather unfortunate last name in that so many uncomplimentary things can be done with it, but that just seems as though they didn't quite think it through.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

I was just thinking the same. Got hard was never married, so why the need for everyone else to be?

So they'd produce a second and then a third generation of cowed, deluded brainwashees for him to scam out of dollars, plus a lot of young girls in flip flops and long curly dos for him to strong-arm into serving as his "office assistants"? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6

Jeremiah Johnson likes Glenn Beck, Ted Cruz, and Russian Extreme Off road Trucks. He's homeschooled and knows how to tackle a giant, drippy, birthday sundae. Culturally, he should fit right in with the Rods. The job part could be a bit of a problem for him, however. Jill and David need cash for their date nights, vow renewal celebrations, and occasional meals for their growing pack of kids. Wonder how many people one construction worker's salary can support. I guess we'll find out. 

• Love 16
14 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Jean shorts?! Isn't that a combination of the two deadliest sins in Fundiedom? 

Regarding Erin, I think Everly Hope is a pretty name but it doesn't pair well with Paine.

That's ok..as a lowly female, she'll be changing her last name if (when) she gets married.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

That's ok..as a lowly female, she'll be changing her last name if (when) she gets married.

Let's just hope her father's pickier about her future spouse than he was about his sister's when they married her off to the anal rapist who continued throwing shade at his victim years after the fact. 

• Love 18
3 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Jeremiah Johnson likes Glenn Beck, Ted Cruz, and Russian Extreme Off road Trucks. He's homeschooled and knows how to tackle a giant, drippy, birthday sundae. Culturally, he should fit right in with the Rods. The job part could be a bit of a problem for him, however. Jill and David need cash for their date nights, vow renewal celebrations, and occasional meals for their growing pack of kids. Wonder how many people one construction worker's salary can support. I guess we'll find out. 

Nurie being married off means one more chicken leg for the feral brood to fight over like a pack of hyenas.  Or does that mean Chimpy now has an extra one to stuff in his fat face, while his brood salivates and looks on?

• Love 11
54 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

Well, the good news for Nurie is that her intended lives in Nashville and has a job.  I forget where the Rodriguii live but I don't think it is Tennessee.

These Fundie parents do such a good job of filling their children with fear that even though they leave home, they never really leave home emotionally.   They are still living at home hundreds of miles away.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Nurie being married off means one more chicken leg for the feral brood to fight over like a pack of hyenas.  Or does that mean Chimpy now has an extra one to stuff in his fat face, while his brood salivates and looks on?

Nope, Chimpy is a breast man all the way, chicken legs are for kids.  Marrying off Nurie means more chocolate and other treats for him and JRod once the kids are in bed.

They live in West Virginia and I am sure they will be hopping in the old RV for Tennessee so Nurie and Jeremiah can feed them all for months at a time.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Let's just hope her father's pickier about her future spouse than he was about his sister's when they married her off to the anal rapist who continued throwing shade at his victim years after the fact. 

I remember reading about this awhile back...who exactly are the Paines?  Duggar friends?  Like the Bates?

On 10/19/2017 at 4:45 PM, Sew Sumi said:

I doubt the Keilens would adopt through the foster care system.

I adopted children through the foster care system and I hope to God that the Keilens do not go that route. Kids who have been abused, as most foster children who are released for adoption have been, do not need to be put into a Gothard or Gothard-lite home. Abused children need parents who understand that they will have to work for their children's love and respect, who are flexible and willing to use relationship-building discipline (such as Love & Logic or Foster Cline's attachment parenting), not "spare the rod, spoil the child" methods.

• Love 20

At first I thought perhaps those nice shorts and t-shirt that Alyssa's wearing on the deck of the ship was something she could swim in. I hope the cruise line informed her that clothing is not allowed in the pool; only normal swimwear allowed. Did her husband remove his tank top when swimming? I see he's wearing a normal guys bathing suit. I hope they told him to remove his top if he was in the pool also. Perhaps that will reinforce to the Websters just how unusual and odd their upbringing has been. I can swim in a very modest one piece bathing suit with no problem, and I do have one. A little ruffle goes a lot way at my age.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

I remember reading about this awhile back...who exactly are the Paines?  Duggar friends?  Like the Bates?

They're high muckety-mucks in the Gothard empire. Dad, Doc Paine, has been on the Gothard board, so he's been an enabler of Bill's antics for some time. They have 10 kids. Chad's married to Erin Bates, as you see. And Tabitha, the oldest, was the Duggs' tutor for a while. Until her various umbrellas of protection (father, mother, brothers, etc.) folded up and left her under the leaky umbrella of the creepy unrepentant sex offender. 

https://iblp.org/about-iblp/corporate-information/board-directors

http://heresyintheheartland.blogspot.com/2014/02/who-is-institute-in-basic-life.html

http://www.freejinger.org/topic/28703-tabitha-paine-tim-robertson-engagement-includes-sexual-assault-discussion/?page=2

http://thepainefamblog.blogspot.com/2017/04/chad-and-erin-attended-wedding.html

• Love 4

Well, we've seen with Joshley how easily they are "forgiven" of any sin, as long as they repent. Who knows if they're sincere? 

Do we even know if Robertson served time? I know he pled guilty to avoid a trial but forget details beyond that.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

The Paines are just another fundie family that follow Gothard.

Erin Bates is married to Chad Paine.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

Well, the good news for Nurie is that her intended lives in Nashville and has a job.  I forget where the Rodriguii live but I don't think it is Tennessee.

Holy crap...I live in Nashville. We don't need the Invasion of the Rodriguii.

• Love 5

On Instagram Alyssa and Whitney are seen wearing pants in some photos. So they might dabble in pants wearing when not on television. I know Whitney has dressed her daughter in pants. I think Alyssa has as well, but am not positive.

• Love 2

Wasn't Alyssa in pants in one episode of Bringing Up Bates? It was a Florida update and she was at a baseball game or practice with John's side of the family? She's never addressed her wardrobe change on camera but is unapologetic on instagram about wearing jeans and has a few pictures of her daughters in pants. 

• Love 2

Yes, Alyssa wore pants on a couple episodes of BUB, but at HER home. I  know she did it in front of her siblings, but can't remember if she had the balls to wear them in front of her parents. 

They just got back from a cruise with John's family. Check this out. 

• Love 1
On 10/22/2017 at 7:34 AM, Churchhoney said:

Wait, what?