Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

On 7/19/2017 at 3:08 PM, BitterApple said:

I agree. Even though most men aren't as into the details as women, I was really thrown when Brandon wouldn't adjust his work schedule so Michael could book the church. Dude, it's your wedding. I think Gothard Headquarters will survive if you take a day off. He just treated the whole thing like it was one of those nuisance appointments you hate dealing with but have to make time for, like your semi-annual tooth cleaning or going to the DMV. It was very strange.

and when she surprised him on a visit, I think he was at school, but she had to make lots of preparations to be there, he was surprised but not in a good way. I thought then girl you need to rethink this and just be friends.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

and when she surprised him on a visit, I think he was at school, but she had to make lots of preparations to be there, he was surprised but not in a good way. I thought then girl you need to rethink this and just be friends.

I remember that! He was really weird and standoffish. I understand he's a reserved guy and not super gushy like Chad, but even if he didn't have an over-the-top reaction, you'd expect his facial expression and body language to indicate he was happy to see her. He looked like the guy who's annoying girlfriend won't stop calling him at his job.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I think she is getting a lot of hits today :).

Haha! Hopefully she doesn't trace it back to me. I've diligently taken the high road since she called me every name in the book and demanded that I never darken her doorstep, telephone line or facebook page again. But that was about three years ago, I think. The rather sad part of the whole thing is that she and her brother are the last of the family on my mom's side, and since her brother is schizophrenic and largely dependent on her, she has essentially cut him off as well. My mom used to talk to him occasionally, but now his phone is out of service. She (my cousin) will not answer Mom's calls, and no one actually knows where he is or how he is doing. She does make a big deal on whatever social media I still have access to (like her professional facebook page) about how she is the caregiver for her paranoid schizophrenic brother, so I guess he's still there somewhere, but outside of that, I haven't a clue.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Back to another topic: Joanna Gaines. I read an article that includes God speaking directly to her. I'm thinking maybe Fundies stop listening to God when they're wealthy? Or they think God leads them to wealth?

http://www.qpolitical.com/just-before-mothers-day-joanna-gaines-explains-why-she-made-the-heartbreaking-decision-to-close-the-original-magnolia-store/

Why did God have to tell her it was okay to stay home and raise her babies? She couldn't have weighed the pros & cons of working vs. staying home and made a well-thought out, logical decision that was best for her and her family? 

Seriously, I like the show, I like the Gaines, and I believe that God has a plan for each and every person to prosper, but that plan involves free will and using the brain She gave you. I have a hard time believing that She's giving pep talks to future reality stars.

• Love 6
On 7/22/2017 at 8:40 AM, flyingdi said:

I call for a special fundie episode of"Say Yes to the Dress" starring David Waller as the guy who helps pick the dress ala Clint(is that his name?) Special bonus rating points if Clint and David get in a fight.

Randy is Yes to the Dress

Monty is the southern version

I'd go with TFDW and Monty for some hilarious moments.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

Are men and women allowed to be just friends in Gothardism?

On 7/25/2017 at 5:46 AM, Nysha said:

It was Joy's wedding. She posted these on her Facebook page along with an explanation that they had booked a tent revival last year for the same day as the wedding. I could see where the second picture makes it seem like it's more of an invitation to send a gift than an invitation to the actual wedding.

JoyDuggar1.thumb.jpg.1a3473b00f160e0655ea9d13b56b7807.jpgJoyDuggar.thumb.jpg.18693e6a4e40a7a4b50d13a1447a5d85.jpg

When I look at this, all I can see is that the printer forgot to bold the "h" in "Forsyth."  It makes me twitchy.

• Love 16
On 7/25/2017 at 4:12 PM, Whyyouneedaname said:

Looks like Chad & Erin have had their own issues with babies....anyone heard an update?

Brooklyn had surgery to relieve the pressure on her hand and they are awaiting tests to see what is going on with her.

Glad they took that baby to the hospital.  My dad got an infected thumb from a pistachio shell.  A few hours later he was on an ambulance to the hospital.  His entire arm turned black but fortunately they ended up only amputating his thumb.  I'm hoping the antibiotics work well for little Brooklyn.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, laurakaye said:

When I look at this, all I can see is that the printer forgot to bold the "h" in "Forsyth."  It makes me twitchy.

And I find Austin's entire name uneven . There is a y missing in Austin . It should be Austyn Martyn Forsyth .

• Love 9
(edited)
24 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I truly hope Brooklyn is okay, but for some reason Erin's pictures are annoying me. If my child was in the hospital, I'd be focusing on my child, not posting staged pictures all over social media. Maybe I'm just getting old and crabby, but it just comes off so self-absorbed. 

i hope brooklyn is ok too. to be honest, i spent literal  MONTHS in the hospital with both my daughter and my grandson when they were each born.  those are long, arduous and sometimes boring hours sitting there while the baby sleeps etc. i can see taking time to read or, in her case, study scripture. 

Edited by zoomama
spelling counts for something....
  • Love 6

I was wondering if Chad wrote the bible verse, something to the effect of, "This is the verse we will meditate on today." It looks like masculine writing, and there is nothing sacred or private with these Gothardites. Chad probably reads her entries when she's finished. Hopefully, this works both ways for them. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I truly hope Brooklyn is okay, but for some reason Erin's pictures are annoying me. If my child was in the hospital, I'd be focusing on my child, not posting staged pictures all over social media. Maybe I'm just getting old and crabby, but it just comes off so self-absorbed. 

I also would not post pictures of my perfectly applied make-up, jewelry and pedicured toes if I was with my child in the hospital. I have no children, so maybe she was pre-groomed before the hospital visit. YMMV. 

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

I also would not post pictures of my perfectly applied make-up, jewelry and pedicured toes if I was with my child in the hospital. I have no children, so maybe she was pre-groomed before the hospital visit. YMMV. 

I guess we should be grateful that in the midst of her prayer sessions and caring for her sick child, Erin found time to apply false eyelashes and a metric shit-ton of spackle to her puss.  Wonder how she's going to cope as she ages and actually might need makeup.

• Love 23
2 hours ago, lianau said:

And I find Austin's entire name uneven . There is a y missing in Austin . It should be Austyn Martyn Forsyth .

OMG...that bugs the daylights out of me as well! If they had to change some vowel to a "y" somewhere, spell his name Austyn and leave Martin with the normal spelling. At least it's kind of balanced that way...but having that extra renegade "y" toward the end of the name throws the whole thing off...

• Love 7
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

A Bates looking for attention!  No, that would never happen!  I'm sorry, I know I'm in the minority, but Erin comes off as all kinds of phony to me.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, flyingdi said:

A Bates looking for attention!  No, that would never happen!  I'm sorry, I know I'm in the minority, but Erin comes off as all kinds of phony to me.

I don't understand why she had to include her very tan legs and pedi?

• Love 14
8 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I was confused as to who the person of color might be until reading this. Honestly, I would never in innumerable years pegged those as Caucasian legs.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

One of my children spent a sizable amount of time during his childhood in the hospital. Depending on when and why he was there, I more resembled Brooklyn in the first pic. However even at my best I don't spend anywhere near the time that I imagine Erin does on her appearance.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I was confused as to who the person of color might be until reading this. Honestly, I would never in innumerable years pegged those as Caucasian legs.

I seriously don't understand why these people, especially the Duggar girls, are always preaching modesty, but then are so obsessed with tanning. Tanning to me implies that they're naked skin is exposed to the sun (even if they fake bake), and draws attention to their legs. Not modest! 

• Love 13

As I mentioned above one of my kids was in the hospital a lot. Erin's picture made me realize that I never once recall seeing another family of a patient with a Bible. Granted I wasn't room hopping, but parents do talk and get somewhat friendly and some of the time my son was sharing a room. How typical is it for religious folks to bring their Bible to the hospital?

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

She not only included them; her legs/pedi comprise about 2/3 of a photo that she posted to show everyone how diligently she is reading the Bible and journaling about it.  

• Love 19
8 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

As I mentioned above one of my kids was in the hospital a lot. Erin's picture made me realize that I never once recall seeing another family of a patient with a Bible. Granted I wasn't room hopping, but parents do talk and get somewhat friendly and some of the time my son was sharing a room. How typical is it for religious folks to bring their Bible to the hospital?

To have it in her handbag when they went to the ER not super common.  But for her to have her Bible after several days with her daughter and more days to be there would not be uncommon for the fundies I know.  Many of us might be reading PTV on our phones while the child naps, for Erin doing Bible study would be similar. She wouldn't want to miss an entire week of Bible study.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Very common. I work at a medical center. We have tons of patients who either bring Bibles, or call to request them from the pastoral care staff (which is a good mix of Catholic, several types of Protestants, a Rabbi and Imam - not sure how many requests the non-Christians for holy books, because religion in our area is probably 98% Christian). We have patients who want their Bibles, crucifixes, pray cloths, rosaries, beads, etc. within arms reach at all times, and many who request nurses or docs to pray with them before procedures. By now we pretty much know what staff is fine with it, and who would prefer to locate someone else without offending the patient. This is a Catholic affiliated hospital, so not sure if it's different at places with no religious affiliation. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I've worked at numerous community hospitals, some with religious affiliations (Salvation Army, Jewish, Catholic and Methodist).  Every single one provided Bibles or other religious texts on request. Every single one had a gift shop where various spiritual books including Bibles, were available for purchase and there were all sorts of religious tchotchkes on sale from rosaries to statues of the blessed virgin to angel figurines.

I had an elderly aunt who had a cardiac arrest. First thing I did when I got to the hospital was dig through her stuff to find her rosary and put it in her hand. Second thing was request a priest to give her last rites.  When I had my knee replaced last month, I took a prayer book and a rosary with me to the hospital.

I've got no problem with Erin reading a Bible at the hospital.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 18
(edited)

My issue was with what she was actually journaling. It read a lot like a person who hasn't had any real life challenges until now. And I think she used the same bible quote that Jill wrote on the post-it the other day. I remember both coming from Isaiah, (eta: I was wrong, Jill used a Psalm). Jill is sympathetic/empathetic in her recovery to like Erin's "inspirational" posts. Jessa also liked the bible study one, so she has some time to check social media while chasing a toddler and coddling an infant, cooking, cleaning....oh who the hell is she fooling? 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I worked 31 years at a huge VA hospital, going into patients' rooms to take x-rays.  Over the years, I saw just a few bibles. Some patients, though, were unwilling to remove rosary beads from around their necks.  Or native American beads.  That meant a lot of pain in the ass taping on my part to keep artifact off the X-ray.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Right? Everyone in the comments was complimenting her tan, nail polish and handwriting so yeah, methinks that picture had little to do with her devotion to Jebus. 

• Love 19
2 hours ago, louannems said:

I worked 31 years at a huge VA hospital, going into patients' rooms to take x-rays.  Over the years, I saw just a few bibles. Some patients, though, were unwilling to remove rosary beads from around their necks.  Or native American beads.  That meant a lot of pain in the ass taping on my part to keep artifact off the X-ray.

I was raised Catholic and attended parochial school 12 years. Wearing a rosary simply wasn't done. If I recall, it was said to be disrespectful to wear as jewelry. My parish was extremely German. Perhaps other nationalities physically wore rosaries? 

• Love 8

After watching the pre-wedding episode of Brandon and Michael I can deduce that Brandon is the king of all wussies

Good grief he is about as fun as a hemorrhoid.

• Love 11
(edited)
12 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

It probably depends on the exact location/clientele of the hospital. I've spent some time at a medical facility recently where women were yanking bibles out of their purses on the regular. I hadn't seen it before either. Probably is the kind of habit that spreads quickly through a group once somebody starts it. .

With Erin Bates I expect it's pure show-offiness. Because what else can you conclude about a mom who's at a hospital with her sick child and spends time arranging her body and her possessions so she can exhibit her holiness and her pedicure to the nation (because, like the Duggs, she has fans)? I can't imagine how that would even cross your mind. Whereas I can easily see how the bible journaling would cross your mind. ... I really don't get social media. At all. 

14 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I was wondering if Chad wrote the bible verse, something to the effect of, "This is the verse we will meditate on today." It looks like masculine writing, and there is nothing sacred or private with these Gothardites. Chad probably reads her entries when she's finished. Hopefully, this works both ways for them. 

It's either that...or could that be one of those "journaling bibles," where the verses you're supposed to tackle are written in for you? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10
9 hours ago, Catfin said:

I was raised Catholic and attended parochial school 12 years. Wearing a rosary simply wasn't done. If I recall, it was said to be disrespectful to wear as jewelry. My parish was extremely German. Perhaps other nationalities physically wore rosaries? 

In my long years of being Catholic, the only ones I've ever seen wear a rosary was a nun.  They wore rosaries on their waist.  Wearing a rosary as jewelry was strongly discouraged.  My Catholic high school included many nationalities and no one ever wore a rosary(Except perhaps if they were dressing up as Madonna.)

• Love 8
(edited)
10 hours ago, Catfin said:

I was also born and raised Catholic, 12 years of Catholic school, and also never heard of wearing rosary beads.

That is, until I saw it on some older (mostly male) patients at the VA hospital.

Edited by louannems
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I've worked at numerous community hospitals, some with religious affiliations (Salvation Army, Jewish, Catholic and Methodist).  Every single one provided Bibles or other religious texts on request. Every single one had a gift shop where various spiritual books including Bibles, were available for purchase and there were all sorts of religious tchotchkes on sale from rosaries to statues of the blessed virgin to angel figurines.

I had an elderly aunt who had a cardiac arrest. First thing I did when I got to the hospital was dig through her stuff to find her rosary and put it in her hand. Second thing was request a priest to give her last rites.  When I had my knee replaced last month, I took a prayer book and a rosary with me to the hospital.

I've got no problem with Erin reading a Bible at the hospital.

I agree in general but, I'm pretty sure were I still religious, I would resort to one of the many fine electronic Bible options and just 'rough it' in the same situation.  Then again, I'm an unfussy person who loathes pack muling heavy bags around- maybe Erin made Chad bring her the Bible.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

At the hospital where I live, there's a Bible provided in every patient room.

• Love 1