Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Kelly said something to the effect of them being great Confederate generals. They obviously are part of that sub-set of Southerners who revere the antebellum South but totally ignorant of all it represented.

Ignorant isn't the word I'd use. The Bates know exactly what the antebellum South represented and would like the country to go back to that. Sure, she loves her adopted sisters. I don't doubt it. But having black family members has never meant anything wrt to racism. One can be a racist fuck but their beloved biracial grandchild is the exception. It's the rule rather than the exception, from my observations. 

• Love 14

Wow. I made it through about 5 sentences of Sierra's post before giving up. Some brain cells just died. Whoever said she needs to change the background is correct a million times over. Did she even bother to preview or check her post when she was done? Never mind; that's a rhetorical question.

At this point I just don't care. Sierra has solid reasons on the financial and lifestyle sides. Good for you for giving up your iPhone if you recognize that it is impacting your life in an undesirable way, but it is in no way worthy of a blog post that long because it becomes repetitive very quickly. Sierra is not a good enough writer to make it engaging.

• Love 6
(edited)

@lascuba, you're right. I should have said that they turned a blind eye to what happened before the Civil War. They just showed their ass by pretending that it didn't happen, and these "great generals" were peachy keen with America as it existed in the 1860's (and in Bedford's case, even later). 

You're also also right about compartmentalized racism. My MIL is a perfect example. One day, we were talking and she mentioned that some person she came in contact with or knew somehow (it's been a while, so I don't remember that exact detail) was nice...for an Asian person. I saw red and reminded her that her own granddaughter - her ONLY grandchild - is half Chinese. She's done with like clockwork with people of other races and non-Christians as well (there is a high percentage of people of color, and of those, majority Muslims, working at the community where she lives). 

I really hope that Gil and Kelly have put aside the Stars and Bars and taught their kids a fair representation of that part of American history. It seems like Lawson has now latched onto the Greatest Generation, but conveniently forgets about Vietnam vets. I guess he'll just latch onto Desert Storm and Gulf War vets once the WWII vets finally die off in a few years. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, Nysha said:

Sierra needs to change her background if she wants people to be able to read it.

I know! I had to highlight the whole thing to decipher any of it. I do have to say, though, that while she sounds way too godly for my liking, I do admire her for managing to do that, and kind of wish more people would. I'm addicted enough to my laptop that I still forget to look at my iphone (which I finally got only about 8 months ago) for hours at a clip, and would forget for days or weeks at a clip, like I did my old flip-phone, if my kids and husband weren't constantly harrassing me about not answering texts. But I am distressingly addicted to the laptop, and find it to be a major distraction from all manner of other things I should be doing instead.

By the way, ITA with SnarkyShark on the post being too repetitive and un-engaging. I couldn't manage to make it through more than three quarters of the way through, and had started skimming way before that.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Nysha said:

Sierra needs to change her background if she wants people to be able to read it.

Yup, I had to scroll it as if I was going to copy and paste it. I wonder how it shows up on an iPhone? LOL

• Love 1
(edited)

I actually wanted to read Sierra's crazy post but the background was horrible and I could only get parts of it. She now has a flip phone and I guess she still has a computer of some sorts?

She will be back in September and post all about how amazing it was to not have an iPhone.  She might even start a blog, FB page etc to help others realize the sin of social media addiction. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I actually wanted to read Sierra's crazy post but the background was horrible and I could only get parts of it. She now has a flip phone and I guess she still has a computer of some sorts?

She will be back in September and post all about how amazing it was to not have an iPhone.  She might even start a blog, FB page etc to help others realize the sin of social media addiction. 

To say "Irony is lost on her" doesn't even state the case, does it? 

• Love 10

I didn't bother reading it.  I don't have time to waste on her drivel or on someone who makes reading their drivel difficult.

I'm left with a feeling of anything for attention with her. 

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Nysha said:

You are so right!  Unreadable, so I didn't even try.

Moment of silence observed, @Sew Sumi.  Luckily, there's no end to snarkable stuff here, even without Miss Party Planner.

• Love 3

interesting that ya'll keep commenting on her background. on my old school computer, it is totally white with a border around it. i bet her view of it is the same, so i am not sure what makes it look different that what you all see.  i admire her ability to let it all go with the phone thing. i wish i could too. but i NEED the good camera mine has so i can take the millions of photos of my grandkids. thats a dealbreaker. well, that and tango...i like video chatting with the ones that are far away. 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, zoomama said:

interesting that ya'll keep commenting on her background. on my old school computer, it is totally white with a border around it.

Here is what I see, highlighted. When it's not highlighted the text is a light grey that is impossible to read. 

Sierra.JPG

• Love 8
(edited)
4 hours ago, zoomama said:

interesting that ya'll keep commenting on her background. on my old school computer, it is totally white with a border around it. i bet her view of it is the same, so i am not sure what makes it look different that what you all see.  i admire her ability to let it all go with the phone thing. i wish i could too. but i NEED the good camera mine has so i can take the millions of photos of my grandkids. thats a dealbreaker. well, that and tango...i like video chatting with the ones that are far away. 

On my computer it shows up with gray font over a background of wood paneling of sorts.  The first inch or two of each sentence is impossible to read and the rest is hard to read. I'm not thoroughly buying her story though. In one part of the story she explains surprising her husband when telling him she's getting a flip phone, then later in the story he asks if he "made her get" the flip phone. Not sure how he could make her do something he didn't know she was doing. Anyway why not keep the iPhone to use as a camera?

I was writing as Nysha was posting. :)

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 6

I also see what @Nysha shows in that screenshot. It's possible, I think, to set your browser to not show background graphics. Without the background graphics - and @zoomama, I think your browser isn't showing them - that page would be possible to read without strain. With the background graphics it's so nasty that I took one look and clicked away. Didn't even try to read the content.

• Love 5

*YAWN* Sierra will be back in two seconds. I agree with those who've said she either can't afford the payments, broke her laptop, one of the kids did something semi-dangerous while she was online and she's afraid CPS is going to show up, etc. 

Isn't she selling makeup and cookies online? I'd think an iphone would be a good business expense for all that. 

• Love 5
(edited)

She said in the blog post (in a portion that was readable) that she was using a laptop. 

I think the cupcakes in a jar were abandoned after reports can back that jars broke during shipping. She gave up wedding planning before Jinger got married (thank goodness), and has otherwise seemed to have greatly slowed her manic roll. 

I wonder what she will do now given that her husband said early in their marriage that she needed to "find a ministry." I guess now that she's knocked up again, she's destined to minister to her kids. It was pretty obvious that she was spreading herself too thin. 

tl;dr. She basically had the equivalent of the Laundry Room Breakdown. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

It seems like Lawson has now latched onto the Greatest Generation, but conveniently forgets about Vietnam vets. I guess he'll just latch onto Desert Storm and Gulf War vets once the WWII vets finally die off in a few years. 

What is this about?

(edited)

Lawson's adoration for war vets, especially those from WWII. He's written a couple songs that honor them. He just takes it to another level on Memorial and Veteran's Days as if nobody else respects what war vets did for our country. 

It's his attitude as he delivers the message that bothers me 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

Lawson's adoration for war vets, especially those from WWII. He's written a couple songs that honor them.

I'm glad Lawson is not writing songs for Southern Civil War vets.

• Love 7
(edited)

I get the same dumb background @Nysha posted, but when I made the screen bigger (200%). I can read it now.  I have never read her blog posts before. It was.... interesting?

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, louannems said:

I wonder why Sierra's cell phone bill was/is so high.  I have a nice Android, through Virgin Mobile, and unlimited text/talk/data costs me $39 monthly, with tax.

I have a feeling that Sierra isn't as smart as us at finding a good deal.  She's used to getting stuff for free.

• Love 1

Was she in contact with someone her headship didn't approve, or is he flexing his muscles, so it's now been laid upon her heart during this season of her life to purpose to put down the phone so Satan doesn't build a fortress in her heart and cause her countenance to sin?

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Lawson's adoration for war vets, especially those from WWII. He's written a couple songs that honor them. He just takes it to another level on Memorial and Veteran's Days as if nobody else respects what war vets did for our country. 

It's his attitude as he delivers the message that bothers me 

Don't see any if the makes from these groups signing up to serve. Lawson got a broken leg, or something?

• Love 5
5 hours ago, louannems said:

I wonder why Sierra's cell phone bill was/is so high.  I have a nice Android, through Virgin Mobile, and unlimited text/talk/data costs me $39 monthly, with tax.

That's a lot of money for some people.

• Love 4

I was shopping yesterday and saw a woman with a T-shirt emblazoned with, Not Today Satan. It took every bit of self control to fight my dark, cold, heathen heart and approach the Godly woman. I REALLY wanted to say, why not I'm so prepared and despite your shirt you're easy picking. Then I realized I did not want to get arrested, because who would pick up my daughter from summer camp. It's a free country (it is still, right? Lie to me please.), but people like her and the Duggars annoy me with their silly shirts. Sorry but the Satan talk made my pudgy fingers want to share. Sierra is pregnant again????!!!! Is this #6? 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, SMama said:

I was shopping yesterday and saw a woman with a T-shirt emblazoned with, Not Today Satan. It took every bit of self control to fight my dark, cold, heathen heart and approach the Godly woman. I REALLY wanted to say, why not I'm so prepared and despite your shirt you're easy picking. Then I realized I did not want to get arrested, because who would pick up my daughter from summer camp. It's a free country (it is still, right? Lie to me please.), but people like her and the Duggars annoy me with their silly shirts. Sorry but the Satan talk made my pudgy fingers want to share. Sierra is pregnant again????!!!! Is this #6? 

Rupaul's Drag Race used that as a line.

Are you sure she wasn't a RPDR fan or was she grim Fundy looking?

Sierra is preggers again?  How can they be happy about it knowing this is another trophy for their headship and they're not getting any more help with the new one? What a depressing life.  Maybe she just got off social media

• Love 12
(edited)
22 minutes ago, SMama said:

was shopping yesterday and saw a woman with a T-shirt emblazoned with, Not Today Satan. It took every bit of self control to fight my dark, cold, heathen heart and approach the Godly woman.

If she was fundie I don't think she realizes that is a catch phrase from the incredible Bianca Del Rio--a drag queen. 

And I'm not fundie or really religious but would totally wear that because Bianca is awesome. 

Edited by AUgirl
Arwen is faster
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Rupaul's Drag Race used that as a line.

Are you sure she wasn't a RPDR fan or was she grim Fundy looking?

Sierra is preggers again?  How can they be happy about it knowing this is another trophy for their headship and they're not getting any more help with the new one? What a depressing life.  Maybe she just got off social media

I'd wear that shirt! First thing I thought was RuPaul's show, too.

• Love 3

It's not surprising that we all thought about Bianca. I think that, by far, she's the most successful queen to come from that show. Bitch travels the WORLD doing her standup! #jealousnotjealous

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SMama said:

My guess was also going to be Bianca Del Rio fan. I hope. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Had Sierra thought of not picking up her phone first thing in morning? Had she thought of leaving it in her pocketbook and not carrying it around like it was an permanent appendage? Using it only as a phone or camera when she was at home? What was she checking, FB, Instagram, Twitter, PTV, emails, watching -the horrors- a show? She has 5.5 kids, she homeschools, cooks, cleans, dips strawberries in chocolate, how much phone time did she have?

I think its going to be hard for her lugging a kid around the house in one hand and her laptop in the other.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 8
(edited)

Didn't Phaedra Parks or one of the other real housewives say 'Not today Satan' a lot too? I haven't watched that one for a few years so I don't remember exactly which woman said it.

I don't understand why that phrase is so infuriating. Corny or eyeroll worthy, but I see tons of shirts at the gym with 'runs on coffee and Jesus', 'all I need is a cupcake and Jesus, 'y'all need Jesus', 'I love Jesus but I cuss a little', etc. I've also seen several of the Wifey shirts like Jessa wears, as well as the Hubby shirts that match, usually on goofy newlyweds. I don't want one of these shirts, but like any corny message shirt, it really doesn't affect my life in any way. 

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 12

My only really corny, non sports-related tee says "Need More Sleep." It never fails to elicit comments from total strangers from laughter to asking me where I got it. 

You wouldn't catch me dead in a "Wifey" shirt, but I'd wear a "Not Today Satan" with BDR's face on it. ?

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

My only really corny, non sports-related tee says "Need More Sleep." It never fails to elicit comments from total strangers from laughter to asking me where I got it. 

You wouldn't catch me dead in a "Wifey" shirt, but I'd wear a "Not Today Satan" with BDR's face on it. ?

I'm married to a Professional Engineer. I don't think he owns a t-shirt that isn't either some sports logo or something really corny to everyone but other P.E.s. Math nerds have their own sense of humor.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I'm married to a Professional Engineer. I don't think he owns a t-shirt that isn't either some sports logo or something really corny to everyone but other P.E.s. Math nerds have their own sense of humor.

Oh that reminds me.... English major here. I have a "Shakespeare's Insults" tee. That one also gets some funny reactions from fellow Lit geeks. 

• Love 4
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Oh that reminds me.... English major here. I have a "Shakespeare's Insults" tee. That one also gets some funny reactions from fellow Lit geeks. 

I have that on a tote. So keeping it relevant.......is Shakespeare considered compatible with the ATI curriculum? It is sort of KJV language, so that may make any bawdiness or commandment breaking OK, or do they consider classic Lit totally useless.

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I have a Shakespearean insults coffee mug that my daughter gave me for Christmas a couple of years ago...Maybe they came from the same place :)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I have that on a tote. So keeping it relevant.......is Shakespeare considered compatible with the ATI curriculum? It is sort of KJV language, so that may make any bawdiness or commandment breaking OK, or do they consider classic Lit totally useless.

Michelle isn't capable of teaching Shakespeare or any other of the required-reading books in an accredited high school. Besides that, the Duggars censor some episode reruns of the innocuous The Andy Griffith Show, according to the sisters' book Growing Up Duggar.  They would never expose the kids to classic literature.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I have a Shakespearean insults coffee mug that my daughter gave me for Christmas a couple of years ago...Maybe they came from the same place :)

They do. I've seen the mug. The shirt doesn't require glasses to read. ?

2 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I don't know because I haven't dug through all of it, but from what I have looked at, I think they pretty much keep literature out of it. Too much danger that unseemly human feelings would come into it if they allowed lit in, and too few opportunities to Gothard and his textbook-devising-comrades/henchmen to use it to make some crazy Gothard-y point about God. The ones I've seen seem to be all Bible, some theologians, a pastor here and there and a handful of material related to famous historical figures -- mostly founding fathers, in the ones I've seen -- and then a whole lot of completely nutso Gothard "logic" showing how some "real world" stuff (like bankruptcy law) illustrates some bible-related concept the crazy old man has. Authors would only get in the way, I expect. What do you say about "to be or not to be?" other than, Stop asking that question, young man, it's gonna send you straight to hell!" and Shakespeare doesn't really allow for that.

Here's yet another example of one of the "wisdom booklets." This one has a huge insane section on trials and testifying and judicial procedure. It's truly nuts.     https://atii.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/wb4sample.pdf

• Love 3

Shakespeare is literature. Duggars don't do any literature, highbrow or lowbrow. 

I've visited Stratford-upon-Avon. The Shakespeare giftshop (gifte-shoppe?) next door to his house sells Star Wars written in Shakespeare style books. 

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

I used to have a Far Side t shirt that read, "God at his computer," with his finger hovering over the smite button.  Do you think the Duggars would wear that?

Ben would. 

• Love 12