Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

http://blog.titus2.com/page/4/ -- Have at it. In the Duggars favor compared to the Maxwell's the Duggars have had leisurely fun for lack of a better word.

Ah yes, the Maxhells. Every thing is sinful including Pepsi. You want birthday cake? Too bad...it's animal crackers for dessert.

Steve is a king in his own mind. I would even call him borderline fascist.

Edited by Joe Jitsu913
  • Love 2

TFDW! I googled it and watched on youtube. Whoever named him that was spot on! lol! poor Priscilla,  no one in her family could've helped her to prevent her from marrying a gay man? What were people thinking? 

I bet your jealous if I told you he only lives about 20 minutes away from me. tee hee

I haven't read anything about their baby today. Anyone hear anything?

Ah yes, the Maxhells. Every thing is sinful including Pepsi. You want birthday cake? Too bad...it's animal crackers for dessert.

Steve is a king in his own mind. I would even call him borderline fascist.

I don't know that much about the Maxwells but the son that just got married was good looking do the Duggars stay away from them because of Steve?

• Love 1

I don't know that much about the Maxwells but the son that just got married was good looking do the Duggars stay away from them because of Steve?

The Duggars and Maxhells do socialize. I consider it a blessing that their children have not courted. Steve makes Jim Bob look like a liberal heathen. I would pity any Duggar children who marry a Maxhell.

Edited by Joe Jitsu913
  • Love 2

I am horrified that Priscilla had to get dressed up and go through that on camera less than 4 hours after giving birth.

That's the first time I've seen David on video, and he didn't give off any obviously fabulous vibes. Maybe he's trying to tone it down?

Eta: based on other responses, maybe I'm just not good at noticing these things.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 1

I found it so odd Priscilla wasn't holding her newborn baby. I wanted to yell at David give your wife the baby, she just pushed it out. You did not have a rough labor, you just read effing bible verses while she birthed a human. You could tell she wanted to talk about how it went, but he just butted in. I feel sad for her. 

TFDW! I googled it and watched on youtube. Whoever named him that was spot on! lol! poor Priscilla,  no one in her family could've helped her to prevent her from marrying a gay man? What were people thinking?

Sad because in some videos it's clear he is so angry underneath. He's so full of overcompensation.

My eyes, my eyes from looking at the Maxwell's blog. We thought Jill's bridesmaid dresses were ugly oh.my. the Maxwell uglier then ugly lime green dresses win *insert Amanda Byne's voice here*  the ugly, ugly, ugly contest!!

The Mrs. Maxwell's dress was almost the same one Amy Farrah Fowler wore to a wedding on "The Big Bang Theory." This is the second time I've seen her in a dress and then see one of the Bates or Duggars in. I'm now wondering which ones should be more embarrassed? Amy or the fundies?

Priscilla is interesting in her own right.  Not sure what's going on there, but they are a well matched pair in terms of strange.

GEML, Priscilla is interesting/strange/special ---> how do you mean? As in slow? Overly sweet? The only thing I've observed in videos/episodes is that she has a lisp and takes a lot of long pauses and looks around when she speaks as though she's thinking through what she wants to say. She seems to labor through what she's trying to articulate. She does come across syrup-y, which could bother some people, although I think she's sincere and it's part of her personality. Priscilla reminds me of my step-sister, only she doesn't have a lisp. She's very sensitive, super kind and tender-hearted, very intelligent but comes across as though she's in a fog and clumsy when she communicates.

Did you see the video she did with Anna about giving your wedding day over to Jesus? In that one she is all wide eyed and waving her hands around. Anna is sitting next to her, saying all of the same things, but in a normal, composed time of voice. (And I actually personally believe a lot of the things they said, so it's not their theology that struck me, but Priscilla's off voice, facial expressions and behavior.)

• Love 1

I can only speak to this new baby video. But, I don't understand why gentle and sweet equals gay. And, even if it did, why it's said in almost an insult. I'm assuming those are his natural children and he loves them and Priscilla. I don't think anything else matters. I don't think he is going behind her back and sleeping with other people. They both appear happy. Am I missing something?

Who was the man in the suit at the beginning? If it's a relative, they seem to share some mannerisms. Maybe that's just the way the family is.

• Love 6

David loves the peen. Nothing will convince me otherwise and no, I'm not insulting him. I'm just calling it like I see it. It's just sad that he has to keep up the charade. Does anyone have the picture of him posing in the kitchen whilst wearing the frilly apron?

• Love 5

What a dick.  Making his wife get dressed, sit up, and wrangle a toddler less than 5 hours after giving birth to an almost 9 pound baby?  I cannot even imagine trying to do that.  Anyone who has had more than one baby remembers the unpleasant surprise of afterpains which rival contractions in their intensity. Poor Priscilla had to sit there and act the dutiful wife while she was probably in agony.

And reading Scripture during labour?  If that had been me that Bible would have been flying at TFDW's head pretty quickly.

Ah well, it is a girl, so David has 80 (?) or so days before he has to try to "fellowship" with his wife again.  He must be so relieved...  

• Love 10

I'm really tired of everyone posting videos of a family's private moments. My first impression was what an odd video. I recall sleeping after my daughter was born, comforted by the thought of the dedicated nursing staff watching over her in the NICU.

• Love 4

David loves the peen. Nothing will convince me otherwise and no, I'm not insulting him. I'm just calling it like I see it. It's just sad that he has to keep up the charade. Does anyone have the picture of him posing in the kitchen whilst wearing the frilly apron?

Amen!! If you watched his earlier videos he most certainly was a lot more fabulous. Perhaps he has learned to tone it down. Oak Brook, IL is quite the tonie town so he just might have been listening and learning new voice patterns from his new surroundings. But in reality he probably has years and years of praying the gay away under his belt and Priscilla and his kids are a sure fire way to quiet the naysayers. 

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 1
You mean the freak family. Poor Sarah is never leaving

Unless JB and Steve have a sit down and decide that they HAVE to do something about John David and Sarah. A little "business arrangement that will be mutually beneficial" to both families. 

Just please...dear GOD....do not let this freak show anywhere near Jana, Jinger or Joy. 

Bringing Up Bates?? BATES? As though that is the first name of a person? One person named Bates? Or a family with the last name of Bate (making more than one of them "Bates")? Seriously, this is going to make me nuts. It's like having a show called Bringing Up Duggar. It doesn't even make sense.

When speaking of more than one Bates, one should say "Bateses" or "Bates family."  Bringing Up Bateses doesn't sound very nice but at least it is grammatically correct.

• Love 6

Bringing Up Bates?? BATES? As though that is the first name of a person? One person named Bates? Or a family with the last name of Bate (making more than one of them "Bates")? Seriously, this is going to make me nuts. It's like having a show called Bringing Up Duggar. It doesn't even make sense.

When speaking of more than one Bates, one should say "Bateses" or "Bates family."  Bringing Up Bateses doesn't sound very nice but at least it is grammatically correct.

Not trying to make sense of anything TLC does might help. I seriously wonder about the level of competency - and formal education - among TLC employees. Both production and management. Are these people qualified and experienced professionals? And who's making the major decisions? More and more it's beginning to look like the son of someone with a lot of $$$ has been given TLC to play with.

• Love 3

Baby Waller is here.

Do they think they're not going to have a boy or something? Why not just save David for when/if (probably when) they have a boy, and name her Lynn?

And why has Priscilla inherited MeChelle's voice in this video. Just because there's a baby in the room doesn't mean you have to talk in a baby voice for 5 minutes straight.

I got nervous watching David hand the baby to the little boy. I think they needed to how him (Paul) how to support a baby's head; that's important.

Edited by heckyeahheartland

Unless JB and Steve have a sit down and decide that they HAVE to do something about John David and Sarah. A little "business arrangement that will be mutually beneficial" to both families. 

Just please...dear GOD....do not let this freak show anywhere near Jana, Jinger or Joy. 

Is Sarah the girl that writes the Moody books? Why would those two be set up? Does Boob think JD is a lost cause if he doesn't set him up?

Is it just me or do these Fundies only do home births for the most part.

Another thing, if TFDW was not a Fundie, I could so see him putting little Davia into those Pageants

OMG this won today's comments! I remember an epi where the dad was soooooo flaming that the mom looked like she was the one who wasn't enjoying the pageant because the dad was such a control freak. You hit the nail on the head David would so be a pageant person making sure his little princess was perfect.

LOL Priscilla would be in the the cheerleader screaming YEEEEEESSSSSS Davia you can do this.

• Love 3

GEML, Priscilla is interesting/strange/special ---> how do you mean? As in slow? Overly sweet? The only thing I've observed in videos/episodes is that she has a lisp and takes a lot of long pauses and looks around when she speaks as though she's thinking through what she wants to say. She seems to labor through what she's trying to articulate. She does come across syrup-y, which could bother some people, although I think she's sincere and it's part of her personality. Priscilla reminds me of my step-sister, only she doesn't have a lisp. She's very sensitive, super kind and tender-hearted, very intelligent but comes across as though she's in a fog and clumsy when she communicates.

Priscilla is strange. I don't think she is stupid, but acts.....lobotomized? Brainwashed? Imitating Julie Andrews, but without the charm? When she speaks, it's this very, slow, deliberate, stilted, lisped, overexaggerated manner, with a lot gleeful squinting, ginning, head nodding, and just bizarre behavior. Every single word that comes out of her mouth is some sort of Gothard Fundie speak, which not only comes off as brainwashed, but also like she'd cut you while giving that weird beaming Jack O Lantern grin. She's fanatical, but I can't tell how much is her personality and how much is brainwashing, but it all just rings as nuts. She seriously scares me. Let's all thank the Baby Jesus that she didn't meet Adolph Hitler or Charles Manson back in the day.

As for TFDW, he's shown very small glimpses of being a very controlling person who has the potential to be very cruel and demanding. With those two, I fear that if there are any Fabulous Desires that can't be Righteously Fulfilled withing their marriage, Pris will be blamed and berated, even though she seems to spend every waking moment following the party line and drinking more Koolaid than Jill could every imagine.

Not trying to make sense of anything TLC does might help.

While I agree that this is a great mantra for maintaining mental health, the new "Bates" program will actually be on Up, not TLC.

I couldn't get through the entire 5 plus minute video. I had to stop after about 3 minutes. It was beginning to cause physical pain.

• Love 2

I just had to go to youtube and watch most of the Waller wedding.  Really nice dresses, very nicely done reception,  beautiful cake….the Keller family acted like they had some class or sense of propriety which was refreshing.  I think that was Gothard in the flesh doing most of the speaking.  I was surprised at how nice it was compared to the usual Duggar mess.  I don't remember Anna and Josh's wedding.  I guess I should watch it to see if it also was better than Jill and Jessa's.

• Love 1

I just had to go to youtube and watch most of the Waller wedding.  Really nice dresses, very nicely done reception,  beautiful cake….the Keller family acted like they had some class or sense of propriety which was refreshing.  I think that was Gothard in the flesh doing most of the speaking.  I was surprised at how nice it was compared to the usual Duggar mess.  I don't remember Anna and Josh's wedding.  I guess I should watch it to see if it also was better than Jill and Jessa's.

Biggest thing I remember is David directing the congregation during a hymn. It was quite fabulous.  They all did look very nice, though.

• Love 1

Never. Steve and Jim Bob are two control freaks. The Maxwells require their kids to live next to them. Same with Jim Bob

Is Sarah the girl that writes the Moody books? Why would those two be set up? Does Boob think JD is a lost cause if he doesn't set him up?

Yes Sarah writes the moody books. Poor kid. Sarah is 33 still waiting at home with no life skills. She would have lots of trouble adjusting to Duggar life

I found it so odd Priscilla wasn't holding her newborn baby. I wanted to yell at David give your wife the baby, she just pushed it out. You did not have a rough labor, you just read effing bible verses while she birthed a human. You could tell she wanted to talk about how it went, but he just butted in. I feel sad for her.

I hate having to defend these people: but, what she did was actually very healthy for Paul. By snuggling with Paul and being with him when Davia was brought to meet him, Paul will likely feel less insecure about the new baby. It's actually recommended that mommy gives loving to toddler siblings when an infant is introduced. But, if your one job is to parent appropriately, then I would hope they'd have read up on it. Lol.
  • Love 2

Did you see the video she did with Anna about giving your wedding day over to Jesus? In that one she is all wide eyed and waving her hands around. Anna is sitting next to her, saying all of the same things, but in a normal, composed time of voice. (And I actually personally believe a lot of the things they said, so it's not their theology that struck me, but Priscilla's off voice, facial expressions and behavior.)

No, I haven't seen that one.

Eh, she's not everyone's cup of tea, but I think she's sincere. I think she's led an extremely sheltered life, and then being married to TFDW has to put a lot of pressure on her to be perfect. I think it was RazzleberryPie that said that Priscilla comes across as though she's been lobotomized and I kinda agree with that, she certainly is awkward and struggles to communicate. I do wonder if she's been traumatized or victimized, maybe she takes anti anxiety meds?

• Love 1

As annoying as I find Prissy and Gayvid, I have to say, Paul is so cute it's kind of killing me.  He only has eyes for his baby sister, and he's so gentle with her.  That huge smile!  All he wants to do is cuddle her and hold her! 

I may be dead inside but I'm getting a little teary here.  Such a sweet little boy.  He looks so much like Marcus, only, uh, more facially gifted. 

• Love 1

The Maxwell Dad is a lunatic, they seem  to have the most joyless lives ever.

However, I am really worried about TFDW or rather his wife. She is either mentally slow or feels that she needs to act like a Stepford Wife. And I think that the husband has some major anger issues and am concerned that he is taking it out on her.

Their wee one is a dote though - he seems a happy little chappie

• Love 1

The Maxwell Dad is a lunatic, they seem  to have the most joyless lives ever.

However, I am really worried about TFDW or rather his wife. She is either mentally slow or feels that she needs to act like a Stepford Wife. And I think that the husband has some major anger issues and am concerned that he is taking it out on her.

Their wee one is a dote though - he seems a happy little chappie

My gut reaction with Priscilla, is that she is just trying way too hard. Instead of feeling a real connection and truly living the life as a fundie wife and mother, she's going through the motions. I think she is 100% sincere in wanting to live this lifestyle, devoted to her family, and really wants to believe, but she appears to be going through the exaggerated motions and but everything just isn't quite clicking. It's like when a small child can look at a picture book and regurgitate, sometimes very expressively and word for word, what they've seen others do, but can't actually read the words for themselves yet. 

I don't by any means think she is lying or being insincere, but she's not seeing the forest for the trees. She knows the key words she's supposed to say, and the behavior she's supposed to mimic, but just isn't quite there yet. 

A good example is this video http://youtu.be/jx1038M4Fy8 where every other word is "encouraging, discouraging, challenging, supporting, struggling, purposing, training, ministering, fellowship, etc." She's trying so hard to fit the mold and to recall all of her key words, but still doesn't appear to actually be thinking. I feel bad for her. She'll never be content living her life through such strict guidelines and always feeling like she's coming up short.

• Love 1

So this got me wondering if he ever goes down to Boy's Town in downtown Chicago to you know minister?????

To be fair to Priscilla, I remember reading somewhere that she was premature....born at 7 months. Also at that time, there was speculation that she is developmentally delayed. So it is possible that her speech patterns and mannerisms could be due to this. I don't know if developmentally delayed is in the same category as mental retardation. I also wonder if it's possible Priscilla was a home birth and if so, that must have been very serious with a premature baby. If I'm not mistaken if might have been on David's website/blog .

As much as I am annoyed with Prissy's voice and such, I like her in a strange way.  

I think she's been drinking way too much of the koolaid and tries to talk sweet like MEchelle does. I think she is actually way to nice and probably gets taken advantage of quite often.

I actually liked the way they introduced the baby.  When I had my second, I introduced him to his big brother with him lying in his crib at the hospital.  That way, neither of us were holding him.  My oldest was nearly three and I didn't want him to experience the jealous thing. I also had a little gift for the my older 'from' the baby.  

I'm sure Prissy is a good mother.  I just wish I could get her to a couple of AA meetings for the koolaid drinking.  

• Love 5

As much as I am annoyed with Prissy's voice and such, I like her in a strange way.  

I think she's been drinking way too much of the koolaid and tries to talk sweet like MEchelle does. I think she is actually way to nice and probably gets taken advantage of quite often.

I actually liked the way they introduced the baby.  When I had my second, I introduced him to his big brother with him lying in his crib at the hospital.  That way, neither of us were holding him.  My oldest was nearly three and I didn't want him to experience the jealous thing. I also had a little gift for the my older 'from' the baby.  

I'm sure Prissy is a good mother.  I just wish I could get her to a couple of AA meetings for the koolaid drinking.  

I fully agree that she is a very good, devoted, caring mother and wife. This is her ministry, and that's her life's goal, and she's accomplishing it. if she was indeed delayed from complications due to a premature birth, then I'll admit I'm a hateful awful person for pointing out that she does seem delayed.

Watching her in a ministry video with Michelle, they're definitely both adopting that soft spoken, 'encouraging' Stepford/Gothard voice. I noticed the blond wedding planner for Jill's wedding had that same tone of voice and lack of expression besides cheerfulness. It's not natural and it makes them look brainwashed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOzuk2POE0k&list=UUnzcbIjABNw5TlW7PfXNOFQ

• Love 1

I think Priscilla is interesting. She is definitely playing a role- the person she is in the wedding video is not, to my mind, the same person in the later videos. But it's also true that a role played often enough can become who we are.

Either way, from everything I've seen, the Keller daughters were obviously well mothered as they seem to be nurturing people themselves with their own children. They are parenting in a wildly varying number of circumstances, but all seem to take the care of their children as individuals very seriously, which speaks well of their own upbringing, koolaid or no koolaid.

• Love 2

Although Pris seems a little "off" to me, I do have to give her props in one area: homegirl looks pretty damn good for a woman who just pushed a kid out of her hoo-ha five hours earlier. Pregnancy is definitely a lot kinder to her than it was to Anna. Other than her stomach shrinking back down, she doesn't look like she has any weight to lose.

• Love 3