Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Just now, graefin said:

Dudes, I'm fully scandalized. Josie Bates posted a photo in her Instastory and her BRA STRAPS ARE SHOWING! 😲😲😲

Screenshot_20190417-191255_Instagram.jpg

Oh my. Hide your husbands.

(Or become a divorce lawyer STAT)

• LOL 6

Also, Alyssa Bates is advertising again for that company, showing off sheer ass-hugging leggings and a tank with cutouts in it. I feel faint.

Screenshot_20190417-191238_Instagram.jpg

Edited by graefin
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, graefin said:

Also, Alyssa Bates is advertising again for that company, showing off sheer ass-hugging leggings and a tank with cutouts in it. I feel faint.

Well, obviously Jesus is making the Bateses a perfectly timed object lesson here ...

Second-generation Christians, y'all, just like melted-head Jilly told us. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, obviously Jesus is making the Bateses a perfectly timed object lesson here ...

LOL 

I hereby propose that Melt Head be Jilly R's official board nickname. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Jill is actually a Dali painting? 😂

• LOL 6
5 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Why second generation Christians? Surely in most families it goes back further than just two generations.

I took that as second-generation born again, which is a whole 'nother animal. 

Edited by Heathen
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Why second generation Christians? Surely in most families it goes back further than just two generations.

Well, when you join these little zealotry churches or Gothard-y cults or whatever, I think a lot of the leaders make a big deal out of how your conversion means you're finally a true Christian, more Christian-y than those who came before and didn't join a group that had exactly the right slant on things and yadda yadda yadda. I mean, look how Jim Bob doesn't seem to consider his parents' Christianity to have been worth anything -- yet they were Southern Baptist church attenders and all that. 

I suppose that's the ploy that's used to win these conversions -- If you do this now you'll be special-ecial and way more wonderfully truly Christian than anybody who's come before.... PLUS, you'll get the get-out-of-hell-free card that all your ancestors probably missed..... 

It seems dumb here in the U.S., especially, where there's been so much revival activity and born-again activity going way back in our history.

But I suppose you get a lot more converts if you convince people that finally the true real thing is available, and they're going to be the first to get it. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, graefin said:

A few days ago she did some sort of make-up video where the make-up all had scandalous names. 

• LOL 3
Just now, Temperance said:

A few days ago she did some sort of make-up video where the make-up all had scandalous names. 

Alyssa's hustling makes me think the Websters aren't as well off as some people think. 

• Love 8

In regard to Jill's bullshitty drunk attacking a baby story, I'd call Jill many things, but "old-fashioned" is not one of them. . . . 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

That story put my bullshit meter on its highest setting. 

I agree.  She just liked the sound of "broken, blind, and twisted".  Never mind that it didn't really describe anything accurately.  If the man even existed, was he blind and very physically handicapped?  Doesn't "broken" mean defeated and world-weary?  Twisted?  Like a pretzel?

Nope.  She made it up so she could talk about the "evils" of alcohol.  One of Tim's classmates must have had a beer in front of him and Tim tattled to Mommy.

Hey, Jill - I know a man who, as a child, was beaten so badly by his "God-fearing" dad that he broke his arm and the dad wouldn't take him to the doctor.  His arm never rotated correctly after that.  And there was absolutely no alcohol involved.

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, BrianJ1962 said:

I wonder how many of the Duggars or Bates have truely drank Jesus Juice (wine) or other alcohol? Despite publicly denouncing it

I don't think any of the Duggars imbibing behind JB's back except maybe one of the married like Jinger.  They grew up in a house without alcohol and it really is an acquired taste.  Jeremy strikes me as someone who would enjoy a glass or two of wine on special occasions.   I can see him teaching Jinger all about wine particularly dry red wines.  Which to be honest would not make her a fan.  I really did not get into wine until my 30s and still prefer liquor over wine.  

I do need to clarify my stance on alcohol.  As long as you can imbibe responsibly, I have no problem with it.  Also, I have no problem if you choose not to drink.  I do have a problem with those who choose to incorrectly interpret the Bible on this issue.  Jesus drank wine.  He even turned water into wine to keep a party going.  Christians can drink, just not excess.  I have no desire to trade bible verses to prove this, but don't call me out for having a drink or two as not being a "true Christian."

• Love 21
17 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't think any of the Duggars imbibing behind JB's back except maybe one of the married like Jinger.  They grew up in a house without alcohol and it really is an acquired taste.  Jeremy strikes me as someone who would enjoy a glass or two of wine on special occasions.   I can see him teaching Jinger all about wine particularly dry red wines.  Which to be honest would not make her a fan.  I really did not get into wine until my 30s and still prefer liquor over wine.  

I do need to clarify my stance on alcohol.  As long as you can imbibe responsibly, I have no problem with it.  Also, I have no problem if you choose not to drink.  I do have a problem with those who choose to incorrectly interpret the Bible on this issue.  Jesus drank wine.  He even turned water into wine to keep a party going.  Christians can drink, just not excess.  I have no desire to trade bible verses to prove this, but don't call me out for having a drink or two as not being a "true Christian."

I knew a very fundie couple back in the day (this was back when we were stationed in Guam - I have probably mentioned them a time or two). In any case, she was raised ultra-fundie from day one, while he, from what I gleaned, was brought up in a semi-dysfunctional, nominally fundie family, and despite being formally "saved" again as a young adult still allowed himself the occasional beer. He never specifically forbade his wife to drink, but, given that his own father battled alcoholism, lectured her on how dangerous it could be to ever take that first drink which could lead you down a slippery slope. And she, though curious, was determined never to give in and taste alcohol just in case it made her lose all control from that moment forward. Once, someone who did not know of their beliefs gave them a bottle of wine, and she was soooo sort of thrilled in a kind of "forbidden fruits" sort of way to have the bottle in her home, even if she never, ever planned on tasting it because her husband had told her that he would prefer she never did. I always found that really sad.

He may honestly have been trying to shield her from what he had experienced in his own family, and she may have just deferred to better judgement in a case of something she knew nothing about, but that glimpse I caught of her finding such fascination in the bottle of wine as a sort of symbol of exotic romance while still determined never to let herself be tempted to taste it just left me kind of wistful for her.

• Love 5

@Jynnan tonnix that's very sad!

I was raised in a family full of alcoholics/addicts, including both my parents. For that reason, I refused to drink for a long time and then tried alcohol for the first time as a 22 or 23 year old.

I still don't drink much (and not for a couple of years due to some meds I'm on). I'm a pain in the ass to drink with actually because I'm still super paranoid about getting drunk and don't even like the taste--a rum and coke girl all the way--but I found alcohol had much less control over me when I stopped treating it like a bogeyman that was never to be experienced and saw that it could be enjoyed responsibly and in moderation.

Hope one day that poor lady just finally thought, screw you, husband, I'm having a glass! 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

I’m calling BULLSHIT on this one 🙄🙄🙄

Her beaming from ear-to-ear selfie seems so inappropriate to go with her message. And is that the most altered/filtered pic we've seen yet of her? 

• Love 9
17 hours ago, Heathen said:

Alyssa's hustling makes me think the Websters aren't as well off as some people think. 

I saw the YouTube tour of their house.  It appears to be a 3 bedroom 2 bath apartment.  Very modest, and not brand new.  They have the usual assortment of toys, clutter, inexpensive furniture, and lots of Hobby Lobby art .  I did notice 2 tv sets.  Looks like a typical place for a young couple just starting out.  

I think she hustles to pay for her love of clothing (for herself and the girls) and expensive makeup.  She seems to wear a new dress every Sunday for church, and the girls are always dressed well too.  That adds up, but it appears to be a priority for her.  I think she doesn't really mind living in a smaller, more modest place if she can have the other things. She does have a "makeup station" in the bedroom, so you know that's a big deal for her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I saw the YouTube tour of their house.  It appears to be a 3 bedroom 2 bath apartment.  Very modest, and not brand new.  They have the usual assortment of toys, clutter, inexpensive furniture, and lots of Hobby Lobby art .  I did notice 2 tv sets.  Looks like a typical place for a young couple just starting out.  

I think she hustles to pay for her love of clothing (for herself and the girls) and expensive makeup.  She seems to wear a new dress every Sunday for church, and the girls are always dressed well too.  That adds up, but it appears to be a priority for her.  I think she doesn't really mind living in a smaller, more modest place if she can have the other things. She does have a "makeup station" in the bedroom, so you know that's a big deal for her.

I grew up in a family that was pretty low on the income scale. For years I had one dress to wear to church, two pair of Ill-fitting shoes (either big to “grow into” or small to “get more wear out of them”) and hand-me-down school clothes that were around 5 years behind fashion.  As a result, I am very particular about my clothing. I went nuts when I got my first job, becoming a clothes hound.  My ex and I lived in a townhouse with a walk in closet in the master bedroom. That was MY closet and I filled it. My ex took the “regular” closet in the guest room.  My kids were dressed impeccably too. All clothes purchased on sale or from Burlington/TJ MAXX so I didn’t break the bank.   But I understand where she is coming from.  Now that I’m older I understand how to mix and match...so my wardrobe is filled with seasonal separates and I can create different looking outfits with the same 10-odd pieces without looking like I repeat too often.  Alyssa will probably get here too. But she will need to get over her childhood of wearing sacks with Peter Pan collars and hand-me-down shoes  first. Because yeah, that can wreck a girl...

• Love 19

@Lady Edith, you make an excellent point!  I am willing to bet that Alyssa was scarred by being forced to wear clothing that made her look like she was an extra on Little House on the Prairie.  She adopted less modest clothing the minute the ink was dry on the marriage certificate.  

Unlike Erin, home decor doesn't appear to be very important to her.  Her place looks fine, but you can tell she isn't obsessing over every little detail like her sister.  Nothing wrong with that.  

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

@Lady Edith, you make an excellent point!  I am willing to bet that Alyssa was scarred by being forced to wear clothing that made her look like she was an extra on Little House on the Prairie.  She adopted less modest clothing the minute the ink was dry on the marriage certificate.  

Unlike Erin, home decor doesn't appear to be very important to her.  Her place looks fine, but you can tell she isn't obsessing over every little detail like her sister.  Nothing wrong with that.  

It didn't even take her that long. Her wedding gown showed full arms and a hint of armpit, if I remember correctly. It was downright sluttish by her sister Erin's Frankengown standard. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

Seriously, I wonder what Gil and Kelly think of the sluttish clothes Alyssa is hawking.

They say "oh the kids make their own rules as adults" but you know for control freaks like Gil and Jim Bob, that is just bull shit. 

• Love 10
On 4/17/2019 at 3:21 PM, graefin said:

That carpet could use a good steam cleaning, but I guess that would probably be pointless in a house with three kids under four.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Marigold said:

Seriously, I wonder what Gil and Kelly think of the sluttish clothes Alyssa is hawking.

They say "oh the kids make their own rules as adults" but you know for control freaks like Gil and Jim Bob, that is just bull shit. 

I think Mullet and Kelly are probably just as bad. You can often tell which bible thumper mothers are willing to look the other way on minor transgressions when their husbands aren't around, and which ones aren't. I'd bet that Mullet and Kelly fall in the latter category. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Heathen said:

I think Mullet and Kelly are probably just as bad. You can often tell which bible thumper mothers are willing to look the other way on minor transgressions when their husbands aren't around, and which ones aren't. I'd bet that Mullet and Kelly fall in the latter category. 

Do you think that they all ignore the "sluttish" clothes?  Or snide comments? 

(Thank you Nurie Rodrigues for that new vocabulary word "sluttish")

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Do you think that they all ignore the "sluttish" clothes?  Or snide comments? 

(Thank you Nurie Rodrigues for that new vocabulary word "sluttish")

I'd guess there is probably stinkeye and thinly veiled snide comments. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Unless they have moved, they live in a ranch style house not an apartment in Florida.   It seems like it's bigger than Erin's from what we've seen on the show.   It could be a rental but I'm glad there is a yard for the girls to play in.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

That carpet could use a good steam cleaning, but I guess that would probably be pointless in a house with three kids under four.

I'm not a clean freak and I usually don't notice a bit of mess or dust, but that carpet! I'm scrolling through all the comments after that post waiting for the excoriation. I can't help but think that had that carpet formed the background of a Duggar pic, comments would have been focused, fast and furious. 

Bottom line: that's a nasty carpet,  especially in a bedroom where you wouldn't expect so many stains. Also a nice allegory showing that we're won over by the Bates' prettier packaging and how it masks the same odious beliefs. 😉

Edited by mimionthebeach
  • Love 10
On 4/17/2019 at 6:21 PM, graefin said:

I can’t get past the FILTHY carpet.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Unless they have moved, they live in a ranch style house not an apartment in Florida.   It seems like it's bigger than Erin's from what we've seen on the show.   It could be a rental but I'm glad there is a yard for the girls to play in.

It's the same house. They have changed their furniture out a bit, but it is the same one. Alyssa, who used to be portrayed as a neat freak is getting a little cluttered. Every surface in the kitchen is covered from the counters to the tops of the cabinets to the top of the refrigerator with picture frames. There are baskets and shelving everywhere for toys and various items everywhere. 

I'm not judging. My condo is cluttered too. It's just a bit odd given her portrayal as someone who very neat and tidy. 

Two other notes: 

1. The girls have more toys in the living room than I've ever seen in the Bates house even when all the kids were younger. 

2. The camera crews most definitely shoot to make things seem bigger because, from this raw footage, it's not a large house.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

It's the same house. They have changed their furniture out a bit, but it is the same one. Alyssa, who used to be portrayed as a neat freak is getting a little cluttered. Every surface in the kitchen is covered from the counters to the tops of the cabinets to the top of the refrigerator with picture frames. There are baskets and shelving everywhere for toys and various items everywhere. 

I'm not judging. My condo is cluttered too. It's just a bit odd given her portrayal as someone who very neat and tidy. 

Two other notes: 

1. The girls have more toys in the living room than I've ever seen in the Bates house even when all the kids were younger. 

2. The camera crews most definitely shoot to make things seem bigger because, from this raw footage, it's not a large house.  

That is probably going to deteriorate the more kids she has, especially when they are so close together. 

• Love 3
On 4/13/2019 at 11:27 AM, PradaKitty said:

I think it’s time for Jill to retire the black eyeliner. She should switch to gray or brown for a softer result- can’t expect her to go cold turkey and wear none at all. 

It looks like the type of liner from the 80s that you melted with a lighter to get it to go on smoothly.  Before you lit your smoke :).

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 4/17/2019 at 6:36 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

Nah, Jeremy seems the type to be all about the microbrew/IPA.  🙂

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 4/17/2019 at 6:15 PM, graefin said:

Dudes, I'm fully scandalized. Josie Bates posted a photo in her Instastory and her BRA STRAPS ARE SHOWING! 😲😲😲

Screenshot_20190417-191255_Instagram.jpg

My great aunt Barbara- May she RIP, she was our nanny growing up; would be VERY SCANDALIZED by this photo. I had my bra straps showing at 13 and she demanded my Mom buy me two strapless bras (black and nude) to wear during the summer because that was not becoming of a young lady. 

That carpet is filthy. I’m not the worlds best house keeper (I don’t even have rugs because I have three cats and I know my limitations) but that’s BAD. Maybe she should’ve cropped the photo so we didn’t see it. 

• Love 5

And, at least at one point, she was a professional cleaner, right? She cleaned office buildings in the evenings? There are plenty of examples in my house of the cobbler’s children having no shoes, so I am in no place to judge, but I am also not marketing clothes or a cleaning service online.

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

My great aunt Barbara- May she RIP, she was our nanny growing up; would be VERY SCANDALIZED by this photo. I had my bra straps showing at 13 and she demanded my Mom buy me two strapless bras (black and nude) to wear during the summer because that was not becoming of a young lady. 

That carpet is filthy. I’m not the worlds best house keeper (I don’t even have rugs because I have three cats and I know my limitations) but that’s BAD. Maybe she should’ve cropped the photo so we didn’t see it. 

No kidding. It didn't occur to me until right now that that's supposed to be an advertising photo. 

And I don't think you sell a lot of slinky clothes by making people imagine the crap that's apparently been ground into that rug. Yeesh. 

I think the horror of that as a shilling picture has completely outdone all of the Duggarlings' shilling pictures for total clueless inappropriateness. And that's saying something. 

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Nah, Jeremy seems the type to be all about the microbrew/IPA.  🙂

True, and those would be even worse than a dry red for a nondrinker like Jinger.  I tried to like IPAs but can only stomach like 4 ounces.  Of course I cannot even fathom drinking the swill of my teen years--from sips of cheap light beer and wine coolers, to Boones Farm Strawberry Hill, to Midori mixed with sour mix or Sprite.  There is no way my body can handle that sweetness now.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

True, and those would be even worse than a dry red for a nondrinker like Jinger.  I tried to like IPAs but can only stomach like 4 ounces.  Of course I cannot even fathom drinking the swill of my teen years--from sips of cheap light beer and wine coolers, to Boones Farm Strawberry Hill, to Midori mixed with sour mix or Sprite.  There is no way my body can handle that sweetness now.

I couldn’t begin to count how many bottles of Boone’s Farm my friends and I drank as a teenagers.  I know we loaded many cases into car trunks to take with us on Spring Break trips!

Off topic, I know.🙁 My apologies. 

Edited by farmgal4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1