Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

My husband is Pentecostal (and me Pagan.  We don't discuss religion).  They beleive KJV is the ONLY Bible to be read, all others don't have the right "interpretation".  It always makes me giggle, given King James, the man who commissioned this great Bible and many believe the one and only word of God, was gay. 

• Love 1

They beleive KJV is the ONLY Bible to be read, all others don't have the right "interpretation".

I'm sure you've heard this crack about KJV-only types: "If it was good enough for Peter and Paul, it's good enough for me!"

• Love 4
(edited)

Many Catholic priests are pastors. Most parishes (churches) have more than one priest assigned to that particular church and there is one, who is the pastor, (runs that parish) and the associate vicar or pastoral priest who is in assistance. Catholics are indeed Christians (snip)

Thanks for the pastor correction. I guess I wasn't thinking because we call priests Father, when in other churches, many times the pastor is actually called Pastor XYZ, so I wasn't thinking about the title correctly.

As for Catholics being Christians- you'd be shocked how many times I was told I was not Christian because I was Catholic (I went to a really conservative university, though it was a state school).  Many, many, denominations believe that today's Catholic church is not a Christian church and that the reformation occurred to bring back Christianity that the Catholics had lost.  Current Catholics are going to hell (I was told that directly many times) and being led by Satan into worshiping false idols and false Gods. It's kind of like how Mormons consider themselves Christians, but many other people don't, I guess.

I'm sure you've heard this crack about KJV-only types: "If it was good enough for Peter and Paul, it's good enough for me!"

Honestly, this is better than Jim-Bob saying "This is where King James wrote the Bible"

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 3

Thanks for the pastor correction. I guess I wasn't thinking because we call priests Father, when in other churches, many times the pastor is actually called Pastor XYZ, so I wasn't thinking about the title correctly.

As for Catholics being Christians- you'd be shocked how many times I was told I was not Christian because I was Catholic (I went to a really conservative university, though it was a state school).  Many, many, denominations believe that today's Catholic church is not a Christian church and that the reformation occurred to bring back Christianity that the Catholics had lost.  Current Catholics are going to hell (I was told that directly many times) and being led by Satan into worshiping false idols and false Gods. It's kind of like how Mormons consider themselves Christians, but many other people don't, I guess.

Honestly, this is better than Jim-Bob saying "This is where King James wrote the Bible"

I hope you know vast numbers of Protestants know better, fully understanding that Catholics are Christians. It makes me wonder what their understanding of the word Christian is, really. 

• Love 3

I hope you know vast numbers of Protestants know better, fully understanding that Catholics are Christians. It makes me wonder what their understanding of the word Christian is, really.

Yes, of course I do- that's why I said "the kind" in the original post; some kinds think this, some don't.

When we talk about the Duggars and their cohorts, I don't think we are talking about what the "vast number" of Protestants believe. These people are pretty fringe.  I don't know the Duggar's feeling on Catholicism, but I think based on their South America missionary work, they would think they need to be converted and fully immersion water baptized for it to "count" (the lack of immersion baptism has often been cited to me as one of the many things we do "wrong"...)

• Love 4

Actually, we do have a clue about Duggar beliefs about Catholics. Josh did say that Catholics have wrong beliefs, he said that when campaigning for Santorum who is Catholic.

That totally does not bother me as all religions pretty much adhere to the doctrine that theirs is the 'right" way, including Catholics. 

When we talk about the Duggars and their cohorts, I don't think we are talking about what the "vast number" of Protestants believe. These people are pretty fringe.  I don't know the Duggar's feeling on Catholicism, but I think based on their South America missionary work, they would think they need to be converted and fully immersion water baptized for it to "count" (the lack of immersion baptism has often been cited to me as one of the many things we do "wrong"...)

Many Baptist, including the Duggar's do not believe in the baptism of unbelieving infants based on Acts 8.

Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

36And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/book.php?book=Acts&chapter=8&verse=36

That having been said, they also do not believe that baptism confers salvation, only a personal belief in Jesus Christ will do that.

• Love 1

I'm surprised they filmed the video in Colorado, you would think fundies would totally avoid the state for fear of getting a contact high.

Ha! Ha! I would so love to see some of these righteous fundies stoned.

• Love 1

Kelly has yet to post one picture  from John and Alyssa's wedding. I find it quite odd that Erin's pictures were shared right away but Zach and now Alyssa's pictures are slow to come.

• Love 1

Has anyone seen the picture Lawson Bates posted on Twitter/Instagram of him and Josiah?  Josiah has on a fake beard and Lawson captioned the pic "Hangin with uncle Si". I thought they didn't watch TV?  How does he know about Duck Dynasty?

Has anyone seen the picture Lawson Bates posted on Twitter/Instagram of him and Josiah?  Josiah has on a fake beard and Lawson captioned the pic "Hangin with uncle Si". I thought they didn't watch TV?  How does he know about Duck Dynasty?

DD is all over the place. Even if you don't watch TV all it takes is a trip through Walmart to see some of their merchandise with their names and pictures on it. However, it is possible DD is allowable viewing and they have the DVDs. 

Oh yeah, I assume that Phil Robertson's beliefs are right up the Duggar/Bates alley and DD is acceptable viewing in those households. 

I'll bet that DD gets shown more often than Modern Family, that's for sure!  (Even though DD is shown on TLC's chief reality show network rival, A&E!)

I indeed meant Zach Bates - the poster above me asked what he was up to lately.  That's what he's doing last I heard.  He seems like a hell of a dimwit, but New York City got three terms of El Bloombito; who knows what'll happen.

• Love 1

The whole thing about Catholics worshipping false idols has always bugged...we pray to our saints asking for intercession; ie: praying the Memorarae, asking Mary to intercede with her son on our behalf. He may not listen to me, but he will his mother.

• Love 6

I read a free sample of Steve Maxwell's book today. In it he talks about how his son dreamed of becoming an EMT but El Steve-O put the kibbosh on it because a) he might have to work odd shifts and b) he might be paired up with a female partner and be tempted to stray.

After "praying together" the son pursued a different career. Because nothing makes for a happy family like a resentful husband stuck in an unfulfilling job!

Also, who knew female EMT's are such temptresses! I guess when you're trying to plug the artery of a gunshot victim it really sets the mood!

Seriously, where do these whackjobs get their logic?

• Love 4
(edited)

To be honest about it, I would rather not have some religious whackjob responding to my time of need. I want someone who is focused, is a professional but cares for my mental and physical wellbeing, and is doing the job for the right reasons. I do not want someone who would get the jeebies because he may see me naked or might have to cut off clothing to attend to my wounds. 

I guess my husband will be going to hell because he works the graveyard shift (10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.) at a group home for the developmental disabled where he may have to see a naked female client, and he was a volunteer EMT/paramedic for short while in a small town in eastern Montana.  I married an evil heathen. I will go hide and pray to God for forgiveness.

Edited by bigskygirl
  • Love 1

bigskygirl, lulz! Good point about the professionalism. The Maxwell kid probably would've lost his shit if he saw a bare breast or had to deliver a baby.

Steve also takes a jab at working women. He recounts watching misbehaved children at the grocery store and feeling grateful that Terrified is a SAHM because she has the time to raise their children properly....

• Love 3

As far as Zach (or JD) being too young to run for mayor, the mayor in Ithaca, New York is only 24 years old.  Then again, I think Ithaca is a far more progressive town than any found in Arkansas or Tennessee.

• Love 2

Alyssa's wedding was taped and will be shown on ABC on July 12th at 10 pm according to Kelly.

That is a one up from the Duggars for sure. National tv vs. cable that not all people have in their homes.

I looked at the ABC site and it just lists the show as Nightline Prime with this description "The latest technologies provide an up-close look at provocative stories as they unfold."

Yeah, I'm guessing this will be a piece on multiple types of religions or a look at the fundy life and might not quite be the wedding special Kelly is selling it as. Should be interesting to see how it turns out. 

I hope this draws more and more mainstream attention to to sex abuse in Bill Gothard's cult that Gil and Kelly are proud members of.

Gil is on the board of directors and they recently released a statement saying no evidence of wrong doing was found, which was a lie. They said they had an "independent investigation" but the truth is that they hired a lawyer who has been paid to speak at Gothard conferences for many years. (David Gibbs Jr. Famous for fundy baptist sex abuse cases. On the defense side, against victims.)

• Love 4

Is there any speculation about why there hasn't been a Duggar/Bates courtship? The marathon yesterday reminded me that the Duggar boys aren't exactly prizes, but it seems like a merger between the two families would have been "encouraged" by now.

• Love 1

I think the Bates and the Duggars have realized that marrying one of their daughters off to a man in the ATI cult is a recipe for lifelong poverty.

ATI works in a sense to make the daughters valuble because of their virginity. But the ATI/ Gothard raised boys to men are not a good catch at all because they can't provide well for a family of their own.

• Love 1
(edited)

As far as Zach (or JD) being too young to run for mayor, the mayor in Ithaca, New York is only 24 years old.  Then again, I think Ithaca is a far more progressive town than any found in Arkansas or Tennessee.

The mayor in Ithaca probably has a lot more going for him than Zach or JD will ever have. Why for the life of me, would someone vote for a barely educated, who has not been out there in the real world, and who does not have a single thought of his own youngster. Maybe they are trying to recruit more people in God's army to do away with abortion, birth control etc. etc.

Edited by bigskygirl
  • Love 1

The mayor in Ithaca probably has a lot more going for him than Zach or JD will ever have. Why for the life of me, would someone vote for a barely educated, who has not been out there in the real world, and who does not have a single thought of his own youngster. Maybe they are trying to recruit more people in God's army to do away with abortion, birth control etc. etc.

The mayor of Ithaca is a Cornell grad -- Ivy league; I don't imagine the Bates or Duggars even know what the Ivy League refers to. Beyond being well educated he was raised by a single mom and grandparents and was even homeless for a while as a kid -- he understands the plight of real people and the needs of a community. He was elected to city council of Ithaca around age 20 and then mayor around age 24 so he has actual political experience.

• Love 3

Sis, your post made my heart skip a beat. I'm out of those circles now but when that happened I was knee deep in. An aquaintce of mine knew the pastor of that church and had been a member of that church. If you're interested I can see if I can boot up and old computer to find any correspond ex from that event.

This family wasn't in the quiver full group. They were more in the IBF.

• Love 2

Does anyone know who the man sitting next to Grandma Duggar is? (At the wedding of the fabulous David Waller to Anna's sister Priscilla.)

Sin in the house alert!! Does she have a boyfriend? Do they allow her to have a social life?
  • Love 2

It seems to me that these weird courtship rules of behavior in fact have the effect of increasing the sexual pull.  I personally have held a lot of hands and never felt weak in the knees and ready to swoon when doing so.  You are able to work with and lunch with coworkers of opposite sex without engaging in sex.  Really.  If I was ever bothered by an action or comments at work I would never report it to anyone in authority, I would simply tell the co-worker to knock it off and that worked.  Every. Single. Time.    I might also add that if you need an EMT or you are hospitalized, whether you are male or female, you very quickly lose all sense of modesty.  It's too painful to be embarrassed at what is being done to you.  You just want the pain to stop and to get better.  Although I did get annoyed at all the docs who would come into my shared room, all of whom assumed all patients were hard of hearing, and shout at you wanting to know if you had passed gas yet, no matter how many visitors the roommate had.  This was information that was essential to them apparently to ascertain if you were ready to go home.

• Love 1

Definitely, forbidding something makes you want something so much more! But after you get it, maybe not anymore. You let them hold hands and kiss already, and maybe that infatuation stage will wear off. Especially when so young with overwhelming hormones. Any man or woman you're attracted to is going to hold tremendous interest for you.

• Love 1

During a bout of insomnia the other night, I watched part of the David-Priscilla wedding on YouTube, and I too noticed Grandma sitting next to a mystery man. But most of all, I noticed the fabulous David Waller. Come ON. I realize the young women in those families are full of naivete, but does no one, even in the extended circle, have functional gaydar?

• Love 6

Let's talk about David Waller for a bit, shall we? :)

During a bout of insomnia the other night, I watched a bit of the David-Priscilla (Anna's sister) wedding; someone on another thread had linked to it, and there it was in all its glory, with Gothard officiating, even. And it left me wondering: Although these young girls are so sheltered and naive, does NO ONE -- even in the extended community -- have functional gaydar? I don't mean this in a derogatory way, as I consider sexual orientation biological and totally a non-issue. But David Waller is SO obviously gay. Flamingly, fabulously, sequin-y, stereotypically gay. And it makes me angry that because he's unable to live openly as a gay man, he's going to one day break the hearts of Priscilla and their kids when he's caught in some scandal.

• Love 9

Oh, wait! Is Erin's husband fabulous, too?

(And please understand -- my comments about these guys have nothing to do with homophobia. I don't think being gay is a choice, and it's a non-issue for me personally. But I hate it when gay people marry heterosexual people and try to "pass," then invariably get involved in relationships that break the hearts of their spouses. If you're gay, be gay.) 

• Love 14