Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Dark circles can come from allergies, lack of sleep, or simply be hereditary.  I think they take after their father.  It could be also that they get barely enough calories, but too many of them are empty.

• Love 9

That otherwise cute pic of Sofia really emphasizes that curious yellow tint Jill and Chubby's kids all seem to have.  I should be ashamed of myself for complexion-shaming anyone, especially since I'm very fair and get tired of people talking about how unattractive it is to be pale. But I've honestly never seen anything like it in either Caucasian or Latinx children. 

To me the funny thing about Jill R's obsession with the trappings of materialism (that is, a blingy wedding set) is that so many godless Millennials seem to be choosing a more pared-down lifestyle. I know several young adults who opted for silicone wedding bands, and I work with a sluttish 30-something pagan woman who has a simple line tattooed on her ring finger. 

• Love 14
22 minutes ago, Portia said:

That otherwise cute pic of Sofia really emphasizes that curious yellow tint Jill and Chubby's kids all seem to have.  I should be ashamed of myself for complexion-shaming anyone, especially since I'm very fair and get tired of people talking about how unattractive it is to be pale. But I've honestly never seen anything like it in either Caucasian or Latinx children. 

To me the funny thing about Jill R's obsession with the trappings of materialism (that is, a blingy wedding set) is that so many godless Millennials seem to be choosing a more pared-down lifestyle. I know several young adults who opted for silicone wedding bands, and I work with a sluttish 30-something pagan woman who has a simple line tattooed on her ring finger. 

I thought the lighting or maybe a curious filter choice made Sofia look jaundiced in that photo. I hope it's nothing more. 

Jill's obsession with bling, material things, and celebrations for herself doesn't seem to match her religion with its focus on piety and modesty. I wonder what kinds of battles of values go on in her head. She seems to enjoy sacrifice if it involves someone else giving up something for her. If Jill is a prosperity gospel believer, the train has long left that station. 

• Love 16
On 12/3/2018 at 1:04 AM, sondraK said:

The Rv.By stinkbus jr,I'm, presuming you mean the big van

Lol...no, to me the RV is Stinkbus Jr.  The Duggar’s have the original Stinkbus and, seeing how the Rodriguii emulate the Duggs I found it fitting to call their RV “Stinkbus Jr.”. I have other names for it...Griftmobile is probably the most tame of those LOL!!!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Lady Edith said:

Lol...no, to me the RV is Stinkbus Jr.  The Duggar’s have the original Stinkbus and, seeing how the Rodriguii emulate the Duggs I found it fitting to call their RV “Stinkbus Jr.”. I have other names for it...Griftmobile is probably the most tame of those LOL!!!

Ok,I thought you meant the big white van they have.I think it says The Rodrigues Family on the side.Like they are famous,lol

Edited by sondraK
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I'm surprised that Disney isn't too mainstream for Jill R.  I know quite a few fundies who hate Disney (even the old school Disney) for various reasons. 

Disney's not just mainstream; it's gay friendly! When my kids were coming g up in the '90s, we knew people who boycotted Disney for that reason. 

• Love 3

Good grief, those children just look sick.  I hope poor Sadie enjoyed that one slice of pizza and one cupcake.  It will probably be the last time she has it again until her next birthday.  I'm not up-to-date on the Rod kids, but the one in the black dress and white headband is a pretty little girl.  Color me shocked on the Disney theme.  I pictured them having Noah's Ark every year for every kid.  

• Love 10

But Cinderella has a positive message!  Work hard, be beautiful and your Prince Charming will come and claim you as his property. That, and don’t date. Meet and marry because you will lose pieces of your heart otherwise.

• Love 15

Allison Bontrager has a post about being positive about being single.  She's only 24, but I'm sure that seems older in her world, especially since two of her younger brothers are married with a child each. Her close-in-age older brother is married and expecting his first child, and so is her bestie oldest sibling Chelsy Bontrager Maxwell. 

(As an older single person) I actually kind of liked her post. She points out that single people can do great things. She says we can dream big and think of things we want outside of marriage. And my favorite part was when she said  it helps to be less focused on your "season of life", but on your life as a whole. Of course she put God into all of this, but still a nice post. 

• Love 13

I never put out our kids' christmas gifts till they were asleep on christmas Eve. I doubt if I could have kept them from shaking and poking around the gifts for that many weeks.  But then, we didn't have severe consequences.

• Love 3

Even now, for my sweet blessings (aged almost an old maid and almost ready for marriage), I still make them go to bed and put the gifts out and stuff the stockings on Christmas Eve. It’s such a precious season of life!  😂

• Love 12

I know it is silly and petty, but something about Jill wearing a sleeveless top while a couple of the little girls sport black tights with white sandals just makes that picture even more bizarre.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Not one mention of serving......

Look closely...the headship, who I will not comment on because it's Xmas, is giving us all the finger.

((I have no idea who these people are, but I've known families who look just like that...the genetics, when young, are the pale skinny type....then they fill out when they get older. Aaaaaand, even though they look like an ad for Good Will, showing how to put together outfits from their store...... at least they get to wear what they want.))

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 6:22 PM, Lady Edith said:

But Cinderella has a positive message!  Work hard, be beautiful and your Prince Charming will come and claim you as his property. That, and don’t date. Meet and marry because you will lose pieces of your heart otherwise.

Plus her home life really isn't that different from most Fundie daughters who slave away cooking, cleaning and doing all the work while treated like crap.  

• Love 8
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:35 PM, Portia said:

Disney's not just mainstream; it's gay friendly! When my kids were coming g up in the '90s, we knew people who boycotted Disney for that reason. 

I remember that! God it was so stupid. Southern Baptist tried to convince everyone to boycott Disney. They made a huge deal because Disney was gay friendly. It was so stupid. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Maybe he has been getting into the Plexus.

His face and neck do actually look quite a bit thinner than they have in the past. And it's hard to see what his midsection looks like from behind the fence, so maybe he has actually dropped some weight.

As for the kids, I do agree with @drafan to an extent. Mr Jyn and his family more or less all follow that pattern. All extremely thin as children and young adults; Mr. Jyn is built like a spider anyway - all arms and legs with an extremely short torso. At 5'7", he weighed 115 lb when we first met, and could plummet 10 lb over the course of a few days if he was under the weather. The only place he (and most of the rest of his family) ever gain weight is in the face and around their middle. And once they get past 35, they are apt to gain quite a bit of it even if they eat a reasonably restrained diet. Mr Jyn weighs around 160 now, which is fine for his height, really, but has a very pronounced tum while still being arms and legs otherwise. So I will give Shrek a slight benefit of the doubt on that, even if I do pretty much despise everything about him otherwise.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

I'm distracted by that massive suit on David... It could fit him and some of the kids in there.

Is there some Biblical rule that prevents the tailoring of garments or something? (Proverbs 3:2 "Weareth the clothes bestowed upon you AS IS from the Salvation Army and ye shall become a Versace catwalk god.")

But all I see is a guy with a 28-inch inseam wearing a 38-inch inseam pair of pants and a jacket made for a Kenmore refrigerator. 

JillR is making it clear that Santa is not part of their celebration. The kids gifts already placed under the tree and then she mentions gifts again - that they're giving each other. And no Santa emoji. I'm surprised she didn't write CHRISTmas.

It's like she needs to humble brag but is afraid Jesus will read her post.

Even if JillR wasn't Fundy she would never be able to handle giving Santa credit for the gifts.

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

JillR is making it clear that Santa is not part of their celebration. The kids gifts already placed under the tree and then she mentions gifts again - that they're giving each other. And no Santa emoji. I'm surprised she didn't write CHRISTmas.

It's like she needs to humble brag but is afraid Jesus will read her post.

Even if JillR wasn't Fundy she would never be able to handle giving Santa credit for the gifts.

She did write CHRISTmas in a separate IG post with just her and Shrek.

eta the pic.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Is there some Biblical rule that prevents the tailoring of garments or something? (Proverbs 3:2 "Weareth the clothes bestowed upon you AS IS from the Salvation Army and ye shall become a Versace catwalk god.")

But all I see is a guy with a 28-inch inseam wearing a 38-inch inseam pair of pants and a jacket made for a Kenmore refrigerator. 

Even if they were against having a tailor or someone else measuring the inseam, they should be able to realize the pants are too long and get a shorter length.   It's not rocket science. 

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

Who even took these fence pics?  Shrek and OfShrek, as well as the rest of the older Rodriguii, are totally obscured by the fence, which should be a prop. In the background.

It's a subliminal message that they're all trapped.

• Love 22

David and Jill hang out with a pastor who is even bigger than David. Perhaps the suit is a hand me down from the well-fed pastor friend. You'd think happy homemaker Jill or one of the daughter wives could grab a needle and thread and hem the pants at least. Jill appears to be sporting an elastic waist band. That's good planning for the post menopause times ahead. 

• Love 5

That pic makes it looks like they've been corralled behind the fence where they're looking all thirsty to get inside an event that clearly does not want them to attend: "You two...Bargain Bin Barbie and Pastor Shrek with your Obvious Bible...go stand behind that fence. We don't want the likes of you tainting our annual large farm animal parade." 

Melanie Maxwell is pregnant! She is 43, had complications with all of her previous pregnancies and this situation is incredibly high risk.  She is due in May. The Maxwells like the Duggars/Bates are quiverfull. I hope she is okay and I wish their family the best. 

• Love 7