Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

(edited)

I thought you left that all behind you. I guess some things are so ingrained they don't come out in the wash, huh?

That's it all right. There are just too many things, I guess. And many of them are stuck in so deep that they're nothing but unconscious movers of stuff you do, I think. A lot of them are little things, but they're not all little -- some have big consequences but they're just in my automatic wiring and I can't seem to get them out. Long story short -- I'm going to die in the same condition as your dad!

I definitely identify with the Duggar scarves. I even do scarves over turtlenecks. Yikes. Crazy, because consciously I'm really a sex-positive person. I've gone to nude beaches and actually enjoyed myself. It's nuts!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1

In my Fundy circles, it's become very vogue to wear your hair up in the past year. But very few women with really long hair know how to style it well. It's interesting watching how this is handled. Or more often, not handled.

Well, that would mean that the girls in that picture are ahead of the curve, since that picture is at least two, if not three, years old. Jinger hasn't permed her hair for at least that long. 

(edited)

The matriarch doesn't cut her hair and has this HUGE teased up, pinned up beehive type bun on back of her head, always with a big starchy bow or some blingy thing at the top. (Think Vestal Goodman sans makeup and bling). I have to admit, I have NO IDEA what religion the girls at school were connected with - the neighbor is a pastor at a church with "Apostolic" in the name. We called that whole set of girls in school "church of God" (only with the southern twist, so it was pronounced "ChurchaGod"; not unlike Steinbeck's "Rosa-Sharn).

Observation: I wonder why "unkempt" is my go-to word for slightly sloppy? We never say about someone who is well put-together "wow, she looks kempt". How can there be an UN-kempt if there's no "kempt"?

They could be Pentecostal.  The United Pentecostal Church, and a lot of the Apostolic churches, have holiness rules, including long hair and dresses on women.  The Assemblies of God are pretty relaxed (they're basically louder versions of Baptists, or quieter versions of black Baptists, depending on your point of view ;)).  The African American Church of God in Christ or Christ Holiness Sanctified churches have these rules, too, though they're more relaxed about hair on women (supercurly hair doesn't show length like that without some work, and straightened hair needs to be trimmed or you look a mess), and about facial hair on men.  I think these denominations are more common in the South, but they all exist in the Midwest where I am now.  I used to go to a predominantly white UPC church for Sunday school, and the size of the updos were astounding.  My grandfather's church when I was growing up was a predominantly black UPC, and they wear really long skirts, too.

And actually, to stay on topic, all of the the girls look like the Pentecostal girls I grew up with, except the one in the middle, since young girls hardly ever wore their hair up.   It's weird; the Duggars actually dressed WAY more modestly than the UPC required, but now that they've loosened up, they look more Pentecostal to me. 

Edited by not2serious
  • Love 4

Well, that would mean that the girls in that picture are ahead of the curve, since that picture is at least two, if not three, years old. Jinger hasn't permed her hair for at least that long.

I don't run in fast moving circles, believe me! :)

I'm sorry...that hair just CRACKS ME UP!!!  I keep coming back just to make sure it's still there...

It makes me think of those women in the villages with gigantic baskets of fruit or other items balanced up there.  I wonder who looked at her and said, "Guuuuuuuuuuuurl, you look amaaaaaaaaaazing!!!!!"?

(edited)

I found a better pic of her with Jinger on pickles and hairspray.

29f70om.jpg

Oh my f'ing gawd! Is that a raccoon on her head? 'Cause I think it might be related the creature James Traficant used to wear on his head.

Edited by carrps

I was dancing around on the Waller Family website (don't ask) and was sent over to NeedGod.com for an interactive quiz to see if I was good enough to get in heaven. I am not according to my score. The standards are very high. However, I'm sure the Waller family has connections that could help unless I could not control the overwhelming urge to punch one of them. 

• Love 5

Sorry, msblossom, I have to apologize for some southern arrogance - I'm sure I misspoke. And just plain ignorance. When I was growing up, (I'm saying this apologetically), there were random girls in school dressed always with the jeans skirts to their ankles, always sneakers and long, typically unstyled hair. In winter, this lovely ensemble would usually include sweat pants under the denim skirt. I'm older now, and generally kinder, but when I was a kid, even though I was raised fundie-lite, we somehow looked down on these girls. We didn't bully them, but we thought of them as "poor" and "misguided" and "unfortunate". They just looked unkempt. I think now we felt sorry for them, in a way, because we assumed they weren't allowed to do anything to improve their own esteem. We would joke about where on earth they shopped for those skirts - and decided they didn't shop, they just handed them down and passed from family to family. My neighbor across the street (the only one I don't know...and how prejudicial is THAT? But...they don't wave so we assume they think we're heathens) has this look going on. The matriarch doesn't cut her hair and has this HUGE teased up, pinned up beehive type bun on back of her head, always with a big starchy bow or some blingy thing at the top. (Think Vestal Goodman sans makeup and bling). I have to admit, I have NO IDEA what religion the girls at school were connected with - the neighbor is a pastor at a church with "Apostolic" in the name. We called that whole set of girls in school "church of God" (only with the southern twist, so it was pronounced "ChurchaGod"; not unlike Steinbeck's "Rosa-Sharn).

Observation: I wonder why "unkempt" is my go-to word for slightly sloppy? We never say about someone who is well put-together "wow, she looks kempt". How can there be an UN-kempt if there's no "kempt"?

No worries, Happy, I wasn't offended; you were just going by your experience. I actually hadn't encountered fundie girls/women with the no makeup, long hair and floor length jean skirt until we moved to the South about 15 years ago (so I could be wrong in assuming it's a Southern thing going by my own experience). I worked with a woman and her adult daughter when we first moved here who dressed almost exactly alike with hair past their butt, jean skirts sweeping the floor and not even a hint of lip gloss. The girl pictured above looks almost modern compared to them. They were either Church of God or Apostolic Brethren, I believe. When I first met them I assumed they would be dull as dirt and they were anything but that -- they were hilariously funny and had a stellar work ethic. So yeah, we all have our prejudices. :)

• Love 1

Well, I can certainly see why their look would be trendsetting.

...I hope they're teenagers. Because someday they'll look back on that hair, and ... Well, it'd just be better to have done that as a teenager than as a 20-something, I think.

• Love 2

Well, I can certainly see why their look would be trendsetting.

...I hope they're teenagers. Because someday they'll look back on that hair, and ... Well, it'd just be better to have done that as a teenager than as a 20-something, I think.

Heh, Churchhoney, you should see some of my photos from the 80's -- talk about BIG HAIR!! When I wasn't sporting big hair I was sporting HUGE BANGS. Dreadful. Then there was the time I had the mullet, oh my word, talk about fugly, bwahaha. Big mistake, luckily I grew that out real quick!! Later, I cut it short and went platinum and shaved the sides and back and long on top like PINK and purchased my first leather jacket (biker) at Wilsons, wore leggings and combat boots with a lacy tank embracing my leather and lace phase [eyeroll].

• Love 6

Heh, Churchhoney, you should see some of my photos from the 80's -- talk about BIG HAIR!! When I wasn't sporting big hair I was sporting HUGE BANGS. Dreadful. Then there was the time I had the mullet, oh my word, talk about fugly, bwahaha. Big mistake, luckily I grew that out real quick!! Later, I cut it short and went platinum and shaved the sides and back and long on top like PINK and purchased my first leather jacket (biker) at Wilsons, wore leggings and combat boots with a lacy tank embracing my leather and lace phase [eyeroll].

I love it!

• Love 3

I'm sorry...that hair just CRACKS ME UP!!!  I keep coming back just to make sure it's still there...

It makes me think of those women in the villages with gigantic baskets of fruit or other items balanced up there.  I wonder who looked at her and said, "Guuuuuuuuuuuurl, you look amaaaaaaaaaazing!!!!!"?

Fundie Gibson Girl Is what comes to mind.

As for the girl on the left, she looks like all the apostolic Pentecostals I see (a lot of) around here in Michigan.

• Love 2

Camping out for CFA. Are you kidding me? Free CFA for a year, or free CFA for breakfast? This is just crazy, and there's no other way to explain it.

Camping for free chicken in Chicago in February! Average low temp in Feb is -5.7C/21.7F.
  • Love 2

Updo sisters are both in cheap cocktail dresses with black camis covering the dipping necklines. This must be a "formal" occasion but the rest of the attendees didn't get the right memo. 

From David Waller Instagram, via pickles, Feb 2014

2e21clh.jpg

Ah, a life well lived. 

• Love 4

From David Waller Instagram, via pickles, Feb 2014

2e21clh.jpg

It's been speculated that's when she got knocked up with Davia. 

And there's absolutely NO debate w/r/t who is THE Fundie Gibson Girl. That award goes to.....Erin Bates Paine! 

• Love 4

It's been speculated that's when she got knocked up with Davia.

And there's absolutely NO debate w/r/t who is THE Fundie Gibson Girl. That award goes to.....Erin Bates Paine!

I guess David had to choose between physical contact with his wife, or freezing to death.
  • Love 6

Honestly, I think the three middle girls' outfits have the potential to be cute. They just need to lose all the stupid modesty layers. Those just draw attention to area they're trying to cover, IMO. Turkey haired girl just may have a lot of hair flipped up in a bun to get it out of her face. I have a lot of hair, and have been accused of wearing weaves, bump its, etc., when I've just spun it around and stuck in a clip to get it off my face. Now if it's purposefully styled that way, then yeah, turkey head. 

I bet anything, too, that they're all wearing fifteen layers and then cheap flip flops.

• Love 1

...or Fundie punk Gibson girl.

Or Amy Winehouse.

She is going to have purpose to work on her winged eyeliner if she wants to go for the Winehouse look. Then again, she needs to work on her eyeliner, period. That dark eyeliner is not flattering; it's harsh, and it makes her look odd even though she appears to be reasonably attractive. I bet she has big mascara clumps too. I guess when you live in a very controlling environment, you may tend to go overboard on those areas where you can assert a bit of control. These girls need some kind of fundie fashion magazine--"Countenance Weekly" or something.

• Love 7

She is going to have purpose to work on her winged eyeliner if she wants to go for the Winehouse look. Then again, she needs to work on her eyeliner, period. That dark eyeliner is not flattering; it's harsh, and it makes her look odd even though she appears to be reasonably attractive. I bet she has big mascara clumps too. I guess when you live in a very controlling environment, you may tend to go overboard on those areas where you can assert a bit of control. These girls need some kind of fundie fashion magazine--"Countenance Weekly" or something.

"Countenance Weekly" -- 10 pages of makeup tips, 5 pages of hair advice, 10 pages of fashion editorial, 25 pages of ads for Bible retreats and 120 pages of "What Not to Wear."

• Love 11

I guess David had to choose between physical contact with his wife, or freezing to death.

Don't forget, he spent a lot of time in Mongolia! But then again, that was some years ago, so he might have gone soft and needed Prissy to keep him warm. 

I don't think he puts demands on her very often. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Camping out for CFA. Are you kidding me? Free CFA for a year, or free CFA for breakfast? This is just crazy, and there's no other way to explain it.

In the end, I don't think he got either. I can't find any further mention of chik fil a until this

1zyaaon.jpg

They got an adorable kid.

Picture somehow got replaced with a pool.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

The difficulty with "gruntled' is that it sounds as if it means "disgruntled."

Yes, it does, EXACTLY!!!  

And "kempt" (where this all started) has an archaic ring to me.  (Almost like when the older men in our church used to pray with "thee, thou and thine" because GOD, you know... Speaks King James English).

• Love 3
(edited)

IIRC, when Chick-fil-A opens a new store the first person (or first several?) get free meals for a year.  Edit: it is the first 100.

I know people who have camped out for it before.  They say it is more about the fun than the free food.

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 2

GOD, you know... Speaks King James English

Well, of course He does. King James worked really hard writing that Bible. Jim Bob himself told us so.

That will always be one of my favorite bits of Jim Bob stupidity. I'd love to point out to him that when King James wasn't busy "writing" the Bible, he was busy having hot man-on-man sex with his boyfriend, the Duke of Buckingham. There wouldn't be enough AquaNet in the world to keep Jim Bob's head from exploding.

• Love 14

Well, of course He does. King James worked really hard writing that Bible. Jim Bob himself told us so.

That will always be one of my favorite bits of Jim Bob stupidity. I'd love to point out to him that when King James wasn't busy "writing" the Bible, he was busy having hot man-on-man sex with his boyfriend, the Duke of Buckingham. There wouldn't be enough AquaNet in the world to keep Jim Bob's head from exploding.

Yes that was my favorite quote of his. King James sat in his castle and hand-wrote the Bible. What a dipshit. So sad that his children will never really learn how the Bible was translated.

• Love 4

IIRC, when Chick-fil-A opens a new store the first person (or first several?) get free meals for a year.

I know people who have camped out for it before.  They say it is more about the fun than the free food.

it looked to be about 13 degrees...what FUN!!! (Says the girl who's been baking like a sweet potato for the last two weeks.) It's still in the 90's most days at midnight. It's actually been cooler in Orlando than Atlanta the last little bit. Yesterday weathernet said it was 81 on Tybee Island, it was 94 here.
  • Love 1

I've never eaten at Chik Fil A or whatever.  Saw one for the first time ever a year ago.  Just noticed there is one only a couple of miles from me but in a complex that is the very devil to get into and park.  So I'll probably never even try.  As good as people say it is, I've never had a chicken nugget, and that looks like what they mainly sell.  Barf to chicken huggets, based on opinion only.

Go ahead somebody tell JB it was CatLick monks who laboriously wrote out copies of the bible pre-printing press, pre-literacy, in parchment days.    Also camping out in front of stores must only be done for fun, because the deals to be had at opening are not great.  You can get trampled to death at WalMart, shot at Kmart, battered and bruised at Macy's for half-off Christmas paper.  No, it must be the fun in the line, party all night atmosphere.  

• Love 4
(edited)

In the end, I don't think he got either. I can't find any further mention of chik fil a until this

1zyaaon.jpg

They got an adorable kid.

vrugqx.jpg

DUH!! We Chicago girls missed a huge opportunity to run into TFDW and Prissy at Chick-fil-A on Cow day. UGH I'm so upset that we didn't think of it since their is one sooooo close to headquarters!

**MicksPicks I don't eat chicken and the thought of it makes me want to barf too.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 3
(edited)

Good grief. I guess I'm just hopingT

Both her previous cds are fully previewable at CdBaby.

The first (hymns, 2010), to my ear, not as horrifying as the snippets I heard from the wedding -- she doesn't have to bang to reach the crowd, and a lot more nuance. Still way more embellished and at times robotic than I like, though. Girl loves the run and the arpeggio. Loves them.

The second (gospel, 2012) has a lot that's, uh, bangin. ... And the balance between violin and piano. Uh.....more tinkering with the knobs was needed. On the bright side, were she in the Old West, she most certainly could get a job in a saloon. (They'd appreciate her hair, as well.)

Nevertheless, I'm glad she does this. She got training and she's putting her talent to use.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/erinbates

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/erinbates2

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4

Both her previous cds are fully previewable at CdBaby.

The first (hymns, 2010), to my ear, not as horrifying as the snippets I heard from the wedding -- she doesn't have to bang to reach the crowd, and a lot more nuance. Still way more embellished and at times robotic than I like, though. Girl loves the run and the arpeggio. Loves them.

The second (gospel, 2012) has a lot that's, uh, bangin. ... And the balance between violin and piano. Uh.....more tinkering with the knobs was needed. On the bright side, were she in the Old West, she most certainly could get a job in a saloon. (They'd appreciate her hair, as well.)

Nevertheless, I'm glad she does this. She got training and she's putting her talent to use.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/erinbates

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/erinbates2

She's got the Old West saloon girl hair, too. Her piano style may not be mine, but she's allowed to pursue something she enjoys, so I'm glad she was able to get a degree, earn some money, have a personal interest, etc. with something she loves.

• Love 3

She's got the Old West saloon girl hair, too. Her piano style may not be mine, but she's allowed to pursue something she enjoys, so I'm glad she was able to get a degree, earn some money, have a personal interest, etc. with something she loves.

Yes.  In the Duggar household it probably goes something like this:

"What's that, indeterminate J-Child?  You say that you really love cooking and you're talented, and it's your passion?  Congratulations!  We're giving you laundry duty!  Your sister's doing all the cooking from now on."

• Love 6

I like how Christmas is just called Christmas, and that there's nothing in your facey with Jesus.

?? "Christmas" = Christ + Mass, originally.

The celebration of Christ's birth (although it's acknowledged even among many Christians as not being on that actual day) = Christmas. Regardless of how it's been secularized in some places, that's what Christmas is. WTH is in-your-face about Jesus being the point behind Christmas?

Edited by Flowers
  • Love 5

?? "Christmas" = Christ + Mass, originally.

The celebration of Christ's birth (although it's acknowledged even among many Christians as not being on that actual day) = Christmas. Regardless of how it's been secularized in some places, that's what Christmas is. WTH is in-your-face about Jesus being the point behind Christmas?

Erin uses the word Christmas to describe the music on her CD, and that's about it. There's generic Christmas tree ornaments as a border. She didn't prattle on about 'Jesus Birthday', write Christmas as 'CHRISTmas', and quote scripture, unlike how the Duggars probably would have. 29bhvfb.jpg
  • Love 4

That said, I also loathe that alarmist cr*p spewed by some Christians, that there's some "War! On! Christmas!" - usually because stores and businesses say "happy holidays."

I think that's mostly a thing Fox does to get people riled up. Although, if someone wants to join the hostilities against the War on Christmas where big box store X gets a lot of free publicity by setting up the pre- and post-christmas sales so that people riot and trample each other to death to celebrate Christ's life with low, low prices on things they don't need, I'd be on board.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

I don't have a problem with that Christmas card, or religious Christmas cards generally. I actually have come to loathe the whole overblown, overlong, obscenely crass "holiday season" which has eclipsed what IMO is a genuine religious holiday for Christians. When my nice, kind, genuinely faithful Baptist relatives send me nice religious Christmas cards, I'm not at all offended. I'm glad they took the trouble.

That said, I also loathe that alarmist cr*p spewed by some Christians, that there's some "War! On! Christmas!" - usually because stores and businesses say "happy holidays." Big effing deal. Nobody's stopping any individual from having their own religious observances. STFU already and go do your thing, including annoying people you know by mouthing that tired old chestnut about "putting Christ back in Christmas." 

EDITED to add: My English aunt used to have a birthday cake for Jesus, when her grandchildren were small. On Christmas Eve she'd gather the little kids around the cake and they would sing happy birthday to Jesus. I don't know if she just made that up herself, or if it was a custom from her childhood, but I thought it was rather sweet. She was not all that religious herself, BTW. 

Huh. We also had Jesus birthday cake when we were little only we ate it Christmas morning.  It's the only time we ever had cake for breakfast.  I've never heard of anyone else ever doing it; thought it was just a family oddity.

• Love 2