Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Dark As A Dungeon

Walker: "Let's just say I don't see you making thrill-seeker holdups with a 'Born to Lose' tattoo on your chest." Well Yost, if you're going to crib dialogue from someone other than Elmore Leonard, Michael Mann's Heat isn't a bad source.

It was an excellent episode of Raylan doing what Raylan does best, running around Harlan, stirring up shit.

Fantastic ep. I kept wishing Boyd would take the $100k and run. And Ava how could you? I have no idea how this will play out. I want Boyd and Raylan to both make it out of Harlan. I'm going to be disappointed, aren't I?

Loved the shot of Boyd and Raylan leaning to get a look in the safe.

Edited by Endeavour
  • Love 2

Great episode.  Definitely a strong one for TO and the Raylan character and I loved everything that was going down in this episode.  Always good on the Raylan/Boyd front and Raylan's last conversation with Ava was a good one too.  I'll miss Walker, he was a fun character.  Pretty funny in Boyd's house too.

I started when Arlo showed up.  "You're dead", sez I.  Then Raylan is digging up his own gravestone.  I was almost thinking they're both already dead in one of those Sixth Sense endings.  Slow down, Dowel.  Raylan's just chasing ghosts.

"You shot me in the back".  "Well, if you wanted to be shot in the front, you shoulda' come toward me".

Walker's last comment was rather cryptic, too.  What DO they want???  Earl better hide his hide somewhere quiet and lonesome, for awhile anyway.  Too bad that dynamite blast didn't occur when Markham was in the safe, and drop him right down on top of those guys.

For reference, Dark as a Dungeon is the title to a classic Merle Travis song from the late 40's, and is an almost dirge-like lament about life in the mines.

"Well it's dark as a dungeon, and damp as the dew; where dangers are double and pleasures are few..." 

• Love 4

Wow, Raylan, you don't even want to look at/keep your mother's letters? I suppose because they were to Arlo, he wouldn't want to read anything that might be remotely positive. The empty shed was so perfect. Talk about carrying parental issues around and amplifying them in your head. Not that Arlo wasn't a shitty father -- the ghosts come from somewhere -- but that was just such a perfect visual.

I'm disappointed about Walker. That was great misdirection though. He survives so much, makes elaborate plans -- I'm thinking/hoping maybe he'll take out Markham -- and then he just gets shot in the back. And seriously, what else did he/they want? I'm sorry to see him go.

Katherine has about 10 different angles going at once, doesn't she? The scene with Art seemed sincere to me though; why else hand over the file?

Oh Boyd. Go. Just go.

• Love 1

Raylan's obsession with Boyd can not end well. White whale indeed! And Boyd is a fool for not taking the money, and Ava, and running. I fear neither of our main men will ever leave Harlan alive.

• Love 4

My goodness. Searcy and Steenburgen had quite a bit of chemistry, I thought. Zounds.

As much as I rolled my eyes at the appearance of Ghost Arlo, that scene was photographed so, so well. I felt like I could smell what that cabin smelled like. Great, eerie lighting. I'm getting shivers remembering it.

The Yost post confirms the DJ was played by a real Harlan habitué, whose nom-de-radio is Crow. Noice.

Why is Ava being dressed all cleavagy this year? Did I miss a memo?

• Love 1

Clearly Boyd studies from the school of Mike Ehermantraudt, of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul-- that was what immediately came to mind with his "No half Measures" line.

Raylan's asshole flag was flying high last night.  Even though, I'm sure it's inevitable-- I don't want him to win.  I really, really want Boyd to get the drop on him.

• Love 3

Loved the shot of Boyd and Raylan leaning to get a look in the safe.

That was my favorite thing from the episode I think--that and Tim calling Raylan a dick because he was totally being a dick.

I was sorry to see Ty go too--I really thought they were building something more with him but they do like killing people off when you least expect it on this show.  Hopefully, going by this logic, since I expect Tim to get killed before this is all over it won't actually happen.

I really, really want Boyd to get the drop on him.

not me, I'm fully for Raylan winning, hands down.  If he and Ava slither off in to the sunset, I'll kinda be okay with it but I do not want them to "win."

Clearly Boyd studies from the school of Mike Ehermantraudt, of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul-- that was what immediately came to mind with his "No half Measures" line.

Since I've never watched either of those shows (and never will), I didn't make that association.  I'm pretty sure that is a sentiment that has been used many a time over the years in many different circumstances.  (sorry, I get tetchie when people have to instantly associate things with current shows, etc. when I know its been around for years)

• Love 3

Not tetchie at all.  I've got Mike on my mind, after this week's episode of Better Call Saul, which should be Jonathan Banks' Emmy Reel. so that was the correlation I made.

Edited by Febgirl
  • Love 1

Can someone explain what's up with Ava's uncle Zach?  He sets a booby-trap but rescues Boyd.  So what was the trap for?  Was it for later, when they'd blown the safe and gotten the money? 

Did anyone else pick up on the growing favoritism of Boyd toward Earl, and not his brother, Carl?  

I'm spitballing here, but, 

I'm going to  speculate. I think that Earl is starting to become Boyd's favorite henchman, and I think that Carl, his brother is going to get pissed, and drop a dime on Boyd, re: Dewey Crowe. Maybe not exactly like that, but I feel like the relationship between the two henchmen is  going to play into Boyd's Downfall.

• Love 2

I was surprised to see Raylan's tombstone being dug up. I always thought the final scene of the show would be a shot of his tombstone with the year he died etched in while 'You'll never leave Harlan alive' played in the background. So to see Raylan putting the past away, emptying the house, going into the shed to face his Arlo demons and then dig up his own tombstone was a lot of growth for Raylan. Made me think he won't end up dead.

It looks like he's actually ready to put his past aside to move on with Winonna and the baby in Florida. Her visit did him a lot of good.

I was surprised he burned everything though, I'm sure his daughter will have questions later about her grandparents. I hope he keeps some photos for her.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 1

This was probably the most artfully shot episode of the season. Normally I`m not a fan of having people literally haunted by ghosts from their past, but that was intense as hell. I am really glad we got an episode like this before the show wraps up.  

• Love 2

I was surprised to see Raylan's tombstone being dug up. I always thought the final scene of the show would be a shot of his tombstone with the year he died etched in while 'You'll never leave Harlan alive' played in the background. So to see Raylan putting the past away, emptying the house, going into the shed to face his Arlo demons and then dig up his own tombstone was a lot of growth for Raylan. Made me think he won't end up dead.

It looks like he's actually ready to put his past aside to move on with Winonna and the baby in Florida. Her visit did him a lot of good.

I was surprised he burned everything though, I'm sure his daughter will have questions later about her grandparents. I hope he keeps some photos for her.

I imagined something similar with the ending, and there were lots of signs of him moving on... but that's just what makes me nervous about his fate.

Can someone explain what's up with Ava's uncle Zach?  He sets a booby-trap but rescues Boyd.  So what was the trap for?  Was it for later, when they'd blown the safe and gotten the money?

I think someone mentioned this somewhere before, so I'll just restate what they said:

Zach probably meant to kill Boyd upfront, but when he got caught in the hole rather than falling straight down, and there were witnesses, Zach had to rescue him. When The Pig noticed that the boards looked cut rather than broken, he had to go. That all also meant that Zach couldn't use that plan anymore.

Edited by justmehere
  • Love 3

Glad to know it wasn't just me.  Yeah, it's a turn of phrase, but I don't think Yost is that unplugged not to make a reference.

• Love 1

Using that phrase may have been just a coincidence, as it certainly has been around for a while, but there's also nothing wrong with BB fans being reminded of the episode, "Half Measures," either, when we hear it.  It reminded me of it, as well.  

And the episode title,"Dark as a Dungeon" reminded me of the song, too. Been in my head all day. Pretty sure that wasn't a coincidence. :)

• Love 1
I was surprised to see Raylan's tombstone being dug up. I always thought the final scene of the show would be a shot of his tombstone with the year he died etched in while 'You'll never leave Harlan alive' played in the background.

I never thought that, at least after Arlo died because who knows Raylan might have forgotten to fill out some form and he would still be his next of kin and have control over his remains, because everyone who knows Raylan knows how much he hated that house and wouldn't want to be that close to Arlo even in death.

• Love 1

"And then rocks fell and everybody died" is a long, tried-and-true technique.  However, what that does, usually, is piss everyone off because it's lazy as hell.

Although in a show about miners and their romantic ties to friendships forged in "dark dungeons" it could actually be really, really macabre and hilarious.

I mean, for the love of God, this show had a character hiding money in a pig.

Edited by Captanne

I loved all of the lines about the past and the future and Raylan's newfound absolute determination to move on. Raises the tension over whether he will ever be able to really leave Harlan behind (or alive!).

Planning to use Boyd's 'I might have been born at night, but not last night' in conversation soon.

justmehere, thanks for reposting the explanation of Zach's behavior.  This is one of those times when I realize I'm not smart enough for this show. 

Raylan burning all those mementos -- do men feel the same as women about those things?  My (adult) sons don't.  They're attached to their own mementos, but have little interest in family history.  Daughter is just the opposite -- if she had her way, she'd keep everything.  She's 46 and still has the cast from her broken leg, age 11. 

• Love 2

I started when Arlo showed up.  "You're dead", sez I.  Then Raylan is digging up his own gravestone.  I was almost thinking they're both already dead in one of those Sixth Sense endings.  Slow down, Dowel.  Raylan's just chasing ghosts.

"You shot me in the back".  "Well, if you wanted to be shot in the front, you shoulda' come toward me".

That line cracked me up. I'm going to miss Justified's quotable dialogue. I'll also miss Boyd saying "Raaaaylon Givens"!

Pre-planted, engraved, just waiting to be filled out tombstones have always creeped me out. Just saying...

• Love 2

Planning to use Boyd's 'I might have been born at night, but not last night' in conversation soon.

Thank you for reminding me of this. I knew there was a line that I have used many times myself, for years, but this morning I couldn't remember what it was. Boy, getting old sucks.

So many good lines! When Gutterson quotes are throwaways, it's a sign of a great episode (I am blocking out the Ghost Arlo business). But I'm not ok with this all ending with Raylan dying. In this episode, he seemed like he stopped messing around and put everything in motion to bring this to an end (telling Rachel about Ava seemed another sign that he's no longer conflicted). Maybe that's just my wishful thinking.

• Love 1

And, that's a wrap for Ty.  Avery's men are just dropping like flies.  While it's expected, I'm sad since I love Garett Dillahunt and I was digging the idea of him working with Boyd and the gang.  I was liking how Dillahunt and Walton Goggins played off of each other.  And his actual death was a bit anti-climatic.  And, with respect to Raylan, I kind of wanted it to be at Tim's hands, for some reason.

Oh, Boyd.  I totally knew Raylan's plan was going to work.  $100,000 is nothing, when you dangle $10 million dollars in front of him.  Of course, Boyd is going to want all of it, no matter how much Ava tries to talk him out of it.  Ironic that Boyd quoted Moby Dick to Raylan earlier, about Raylan's obsession with him.  Because, I think this money could very well end up being his whale, and it's going to sink him to the point of no return.  Especially when one of his top guys is Zach, who clearly is trying to pull something over him.

Mikey, Mikey... this is probably why they don't want you to talk too much.  Your lucky that Duffy seems to have a soft spot for you.  I think Katherine would have probably done away with you a long time ago.

Speaking of Katherine, the scene with her and Art was pretty fun.  I like how they brought Art back into the fold, by having him look into who the snitch was.

So, it really looks like Raylan wants to finally leave Harlan.  Burned Arlo's possessions and even had all of their graves and tombstones taken out.  Damn!  Ghost Arlo was a bit much, but it was fun seeing Raymond Berry again.

• Love 1
even had all of their graves and tombstones taken out.

I thought in the end only his own grave was moved, with Raylan deciding to let his parents' remains (or the idea of them) remain where they were, so to speak.   Did I get that wrong?

As much as I rolled my eyes at the appearance of Ghost Arlo, that scene was photographed so, so well. I felt like I could smell what that cabin smelled like. Great, eerie lighting. I'm getting shivers remembering it.

Word. While we're on the subject of Arlo, I always thought he'd have something juicy buried in Raylan's plot.

When Boyd says to Ava, 'Go home & pack - I won't take anything with me', I hear, 'I'm goin' kill you & pretend you took off'.

Anyone else think Wynne Duffy might

be the snitch?

• Love 2

inquisitionist, yeah, that was my impression too -- that there really wasn't anything to move except the stones.  Seems like that would have to be disclosed to a buyer though, that there are human remains on the property.

Raylan making sure that Boyd saw all that cash -- that's almost entrapment.  If the show wanted to go in a different direction (and be boring), Raylan and Markham could have emptied the vault before Boyd saw it.  Raylan really wants to catch Boyd doing something.  Too bad Dewey's body hasn't been found.  I'd love to see Boyd go down for that murder.

Loved the episode! Avery looked awfully lonely at the pizza place. I'm surprised that Ty met a pretty anticlimactic end -- so early. But then, this show has always been good at defying expectations. 

I had no problem seeing Arlo. As someone said upthread, the scene was beautifully lit, which gave it an eerily elegant effect. Glad to see him one last time.

Mikey never ceases to amaze me. I love how even a (seemingly) throwaway character like him gets to speak some great lines. 

Seriously, this is the best season since season 2. I hope the Emmys take note, although I know it's difficult for a show to get back into the "in" crowd once it falls out of favor (but then, one can argue that this show was never IN favor). 

Last but not least, I've said this before, and I'll say it again -- Walton Goggins has chemistry with everything that he comes across. Even with a telephone pole. Like a walking male genitalia, that man. 

• Love 2

Rewatching the past/future scene with Raglan and Ava I now want Ava and Loretta to take Loretta's money and run. Loretta can totally teach Ava well everything and Ava can pretend to be her mother so they can cross borders easier!

Edited by biakbiak

Gracious- every scene was a tutorial in how to tempt fate.

Everybody's after Boyd's balls. Heh.

I guess I understand now why Wynn is committed to painting Avery as the snitch.

Amazing Nick Searcy scenes the last two episodes. The beard makes him look harder, chisled, bad ass. Shaven, he looked soft. Unshaven, he's all hard lines and force to be reckoned with.

Did Ava give Boyd up to Raylan? In their last scene? I couldn't tell if the information about where Boyd is digging was part of the Boyd-Ava front or if Ava went out on her own to provide Marshal with that info.

I'm all for Raylan surviving Harlan. I'd like to think that the burning metaphor extends to his dickishness- as he burns away everything he hates about his youth, he'll allow all the rotten parts of himself- that he hates just as much- to burn and float away in the wind.

I'd love to see this series end 30 yrs in the future with Willa and grand babies driving through Kentucky on their way to a Grand Canyon vacation, discussing Papi Raylan's youth there and how Willa loved hearing his stories when she was growing up.

• Love 2

Some things I've been thinking about:

Raylan kept going on about what every redneck can't resist: money.

Raylan and Boyd both looking at that money.

Ava telling Raylan his neck is as red as hers.

Raylan having his burial plot dug up.

I'm not sure how that lines up with Raylan telling Rachel how Boyd is planning to get to the money - whether that is him fighting against his baser self, or if he has some other plan behind that.

• Love 1

And, that's a wrap for Ty.  Avery's men are just dropping like flies.  While it's expected, I'm sad since I love Garett Dillahunt and I was digging the idea of him working with Boyd and the gang.  I was liking how Dillahunt and Walton Goggins played off of each other.  And his actual death was a bit anti-climatic.  And, with respect to Raylan, I kind of wanted it to be at Tim's hands, for some reason.

I did too!  As soon as Ty called Tim a dick I was sure Tim would be the one to kill him (or that Ty would kill Tim which I am very grateful didn't happen).  This show never does what I expect it to do, which I suppose is what makes it fun for me.