Type keyword(s) to search

Poldark In The Media

• Start Topic

There's been a lot of press about Poldark here in the UK lately, ahead of and in the wake of Sunday's premiere.

A few links:

Poldark review: rugged and gorgeous – and that’s not just the coastline (Guardian)

Poldark, episode 1, review: 'glossy but empty-headed' (Telegraph)

Poldark, review: Move over Mr Darcy, Aidan Turner has nice curls and a social conscience (Independent)

Poldark follows Downton Abbey gaffe with promo photo featuring modern burglar alarm (Independent)

...oh, and many more.

• Love 1

I don't know if you have to be signed up to a PBS site or anything, but this behind the scenes video from PBS of the cast working on their dancing is fun. (I wonder if it's an extra on the DVDs.)

Poldark: Behind the Dancing

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365522078/

This is fantastic!  I did not have to sign in for anything, but would happily have done so in order to see this!  (Maybe my computer is already registered to the pbs.org site?)  Highly recommended, and it is only 70 seconds. 

I love this article, and the comments beneath were even better! Hee!

Thank you!  I tend not to read much until after I have seen a show, but I decided I know enough from the older series that I don't need to worry about being spoiled.  Yes, the comments are great, especially one GIF early in the comments! 

I don't know what the ratings have been. (I've been too lazy to try and find out.) That being said, back when it was announced that this show was being picked up by PBS and would be aired beginning in June, I was a little surprised. TV has been changing and networks/stations are starting to program all year round. However, in the U.S., the summer months are usually the time when stations run reruns or, if they debut a program, it's one they don't have as much confidence in or don't expect to pull in big ratings. If it were expected to be a big smash, like Downton Abbey, they'd have held it for a more competitive time of year, like the fall or spring when it can do well for the network against other new programming. Does anyone have any intelligence on why the timing happened the way it did?

However, in the U.S., the summer months are usually the time when stations run reruns or, if they debut a program, it's one they don't have as much confidence in or don't expect to pull in big ratings. If it were expected to be a big smash, like Downton Abbey, they'd have held it for a more competitive time of year, like the fall or spring when it can do well for the network against other new programming. Does anyone have any intelligence on why the timing happened the way it did?

Nidratime-That's a good question.  I wonder, and this is me totally guessing I truly have no idea, but could they have been waiting until Outlander was over hoping those fans would start watching Poldark?   I know when the U.S press was promoting Poldark many of the articles directly said "Here's a show to watch while Outlander is on break".  I doubt the scheduling had anything to do with that but I have to admit, it worked for me because I specifically sought out Poldark after I read several articles saying if you liked Outlander you will like this show, etc.  Just a thought....

... back when it was announced that this show was being picked up by PBS and would be aired beginning in June, I was a little surprised. TV has been changing and networks/stations are starting to program all year round. However, in the U.S., the summer months are usually the time when stations run reruns or, if they debut a program, it's one they don't have as much confidence in or don't expect to pull in big ratings. If it were expected to be a big smash, like Downton Abbey, they'd have held it for a more competitive time of year, like the fall or spring when it can do well for the network against other new programming. Does anyone have any intelligence on why the timing happened the way it did?

Nidratime-That's a good question.  I wonder, and this is me totally guessing I truly have no idea, but could they have been waiting until Outlander was over hoping those fans would start watching Poldark?   I know when the U.S press was promoting Poldark many of the articles directly said "Here's a show to watch while Outlander is on break".  I doubt the scheduling had anything to do with that but I have to admit, it worked for me because I specifically sought out Poldark after I read several articles saying if you liked Outlander you will like this show, etc.  Just a thought....

It only aired in March/April in the UK so that might also be a factor on when it got scheduled on PBS here.  They probably didn't want to wait too long to air it.  I know Downton Abbey airs in UK in the fall with the Christmas show in Dec and PBS gets the whole season the following Jan.  With Poldark airing on Sundays in summer it might be helpful to pick up an audience since there isn't much else first run happening right now on most major networks.  I don't have any premium channels right now so I don't know what is airing on those formats.  I was surprised to see BBCA start Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell before BBC UK had finished airing their episodes though.  It might be a different set up between those two outlets. 

(edited)

Yes BBC America is very good in that area. I used to watch The Musketeers on that channel and some episodes even the Finale aired before they did in the UK. I think PBS purposely held off for the BIG Debut because of the beloved familiarity with the series and believed they have found a good thing. I have to confess, I'm not so sure this is the Downton replacement they are looking for. I mean, they are not on the same level. My unpopular view is that it needs(ed) to be better than the original series to get the following, but is it??? But we will see. So far it might be better (in response) than the Upstairs/Downstairs remake but not much more. But again we will see.

Indian Summers on the other hand will crash and burn!

Edited by skyways

Well, our cup runneth over:

"Follow the Good Work": Aidan Turner on Poldark, Acting, and Happiness

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pam-stucky/follow-the-good-work-aida_b_7895756.html

Are we getting more episodes next season for PBS to edit out all the important bits? ;-)

Q: One last question, about Poldark. You're starting filming again in September, is that correct? How long will you film?

A: Yeah, it's going to be longer than it was last year. We're going to start September, I think first week of September, something like that, or second week of September. I think we run until ... I think we go until like the first week in April. We've two extra episodes this season, which is amazing. The shoot is probably seven and a half months or something like that. A bit longer than last year. But looking forward to it, can't wait to get back there. I love shooting the show, I love Cornwall, and adore everyone in the show, so it'll be fun.

• Love 1

Extra episodes is good - although only two extra episodes means five per book instead of four, if they are still covering two books in a season. I reckon they could get six episodes out of each book, easily, but any extra is better than nothing!

PBS will air it as long as BBC will.

If so, they should consider airing it unedited. I know that is unrealistic ... apparently, but I've been watching the unedited DVDs and the show is much more understandable and holds up better than what I recall from watching it on PBS. They really are doing the show and themselves a disservice as, I believe, it's affecting the popularity of the show, since it's affecting the quality.

• Love 2

I didn't have any problem following the show on PBS. My main struggle was trying to remember the names of all the characters. I still don't know them all, so I refer to them as theatre girl, head miner guy, etc.

The story was easy enough to follow.

If anyone cares to throw a vote their way (you can vote multiple times):

https://twitter.com/poldarktv/status/634362641989787649

Both Aidan and Eleanor are up for Radiotimes Drama Champion.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 1

Has anyone posted somewhere on here this interview with Aiden Turner from July 8, at the Apple Store in NYC? If so, I apologize. I don't think I see it. 

It's over a half hour long and a quite interesting look at all aspects of the show from his perspective.

AIDAN TURNER // Poldark Q&A at Apple Store in Soho, NY

• Love 2

Some photos from the current filming of Poldark from the Daily Mail. I don't think you can tell much from them ... other than just looking at the pretty people.

Poldark puckers up: Aidan Turner shares a kiss with Eleanor Tomlinson as filming continues on the Cornish coast for second series of the popular BBC drama

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3235367/Aidan-Turner-kisses-Eleanor-Tomlinson-Poldark-filming.html

This isn't really a media item, but there doesn't appear to be a thread for extraneous things related to the show or maybe just an overall Season 1 catch all thread.

Anyway, this is a fun video someone made based on moments from the show. There are many such things, but this video entertained me.

Poldark || Crack!Vid

Here is a very good article by Australian feminist writer Clementine Ford about the problematic rape scene in Episode Eight. (The article might be a bit puzzling for those viewers who only saw the PBS version, which apparently cut some crucial parts of that scene.)

16 hours ago, magdalene said:

Hey, there is a rumor going around on several of the Lymond sites that the company who produces the Poldark series plans to produce The Lymond Chronicles for TV.  Anybody know whether this is true?

http://www.dorothydunnett.co.uk/blog/

Not at all familiar with the Lymond Chronicles, but anything filmed in Scotland would certainly be beautiful.  If Masterpiece Theatre were to pick this series up, I'm sure it would be well done. I'm wondering if MP won't redo other shows from the past like Lily or The Jewel in the Crown...they were both huge hits in their time. Poldark was a huge hit in the 70s, and they remade that one. I was a little too young to understand or appreciate the first one, and today's HDTV make those older shows look so pixelated.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Not at all familiar with the Lymond Chronicles, but anything filmed in Scotland would certainly be beautiful.  If Masterpiece Theatre were to pick this series up, I'm sure it would be well done. I'm wondering if MP won't redo other shows from the past like Lily or The Jewel in the Crown...they were both huge hits in their time. Poldark was a huge hit in the 70s, and they remade that one. I was a little too young to understand or appreciate the first one, and today's HDTV make those older shows look so pixelated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymond_Chronicles

I read those books as a teenager - one of the most challenging and ultimately rewarding reading experiences of my life. The writing is so dense and complex that it's almost like reading a foreign language at first.  I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that the Poldark producers might have the balls to adapt this.  It would be absolutely daunting to do it and do it justice.  The casting alone to have the right actor to play Lymond.....terrifying and exciting at the same time.

It could so easily go completely wrong.

Anyways, they are re-issuing the Lymond books next year.  For folks who like the Poldark books and the Outlander books and historical fiction in general it might be a good read.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Clawdette said:

I have downloaded the first book on my Kindle and plan to start reading in a day or so. Thanks for the tip!

Good luck!  The Lymond books tend to be either loved passionately or people just can't get through the first book and give up.  If you get bogged down during the first book try to keep in mind that it gets less confusing and hard and there is light at the end of the tunnel, lol.  There is also a companion guide to help with the many quotes and historical references and figures. 

If you get sucked into this universe what is in store for you is one of the most fascinating protagonists in fiction. You'll love him and hate him.  He will infuriate you and you will feel such sorrow and compassion for him.  At various points the story will make you ugly cry and despair and maybe throw the books across the room in frustration and anger. As your reward for reading you will have the pleasure of a wonderful love story, a great heroine, and eventually a satisfying and deeply moving ending.

• Love 2