Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Should Be Multiplied, Not Divided: General Show Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Irate Panda said:

Does anybody know how much cash they put down on Coyote Pass and how much they financed?

I think the down payment was $80k and the total cost was $800k.  It has been discussed in other posts, but I don't recall where.  If I come across it again, I will try to remember to give you a better answer. 

All I can recall is that Meri thought they should move to Flagstaff and then spend time looking at more sites, but Kody seemed to think he had to buy immediately even though none of the houses had sold.   I think Meri had the better idea.   Kody is impulsive.

• Useful 3
  • Love 11
On 4/16/2021 at 5:42 PM, Twopper said:

All I can recall is that Meri thought they should move to Flagstaff and then spend time looking at more sites, but Kody seemed to think he had to buy immediately even though none of the houses had sold.   I think Meri had the better idea.   Kody is impulsive.

And the unserviced lots had been for sale for a year with no takers.  If he had waited the developer would have had to bring in utilities to get them sold, but they hit plague dirt when Kootie the sucker showed up and excitedly told them about his four wives and 18 children.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 4
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, deirdra said:

And the unserviced lots had been for sale for a year with no takers.  If he had waited the developer would have had to bring in utilities to get them sold, but they hit plague dirt when Kootie the sucker showed up and excitedly told them about his four wives and 18 children.

And, Christine heard angels singingk!  God the Real Estate Broker sent His agents to assist Shelbi in closing the deal.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1

I still can’t get over they were still interested in the lots after no utilities AND the prairie dog plague.  Did they say there was anything wrong with the other lots or was it just there weren’t angels singingk or it had too many trees? Did they cost more?

• Love 8
(edited)

I wasn’t sure which thread to put this in but do the kids under 18 get any money they’re paid set aside in a trust for when they turn 18 or do the individual parents have authority of any or all monies? I vaguely heard of Coogan’s Law, but didn’t know if it applied to reality shows kids. 

Edited by Irate Panda

No, Coogan's Law does not generally apply to reality show kids.  California will enforce it though.  I don't think any of the states where the Browns have lived have any provisions.  

• Useful 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

No, Coogan's Law does not generally apply to reality show kids.  California will enforce it though.  I don't think any of the states where the Browns have lived have any provisions.  

Thanks for the info. That’s a shame, be nice if the kids could have a nest egg for school or something else since they basically spent so much of their lives on the show.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 8

You know, I was just thinking that with Robyn and her/their kids, Kody gets to experience not only a monogamous marriage, but a monogamous family - one without all the hurts and resentments of his other kids, who were the victims, essentially, of a setup where their dad was constantly distracted by/juggling/indifferent to two other wives and families. AuroraBreannaAuroraborealis, plus Sol of course and possibly Dayton, don't have a history of abandonment by Kody. So they carry much less of the emotional baggage he saddled the other kids with (except maybe Mariah who got his full attention on occasion). I think this is what he wants: kids who at least seem to adore him. And also ones who aren't as likely to leave, since Robyn does seem to be setting it up for all of them to stay, with all those extra bedrooms/suites/whatever they are. It will be interesting to see whether Aurora ever launches. I suspect Breanna will. Too early to tell about the little ones, but since we know Dayton went on a summer trip by himself, it's likely he's looking to get out on his own.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, deirdra said:

If Kootie doesn't completely give up on polygamy, and it is not uncommon in AUB families, Aurora could become wife #5.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!

• Love 10
2 hours ago, deirdra said:

If Kootie doesn't completely give up on polygamy, and it is not uncommon in AUB families, Aurora could become wife #5.

Not sure Robyn would  go for that that is way too much competition for her!! Young nubile daughter...no way would that fly...

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Yeah, I think a lot of the Browns are a mess, but I think even Kody and them would draw the line at marrying his daughter.  I mean I get they were all mostly related before getting married, but I don’t think even they would go there.  Also, as mentioned, I don’t see Robyn going for being replaced by an actual younger version of herself.  I’m still routing for a TLC crossover with either Whitney Way Thore (MBFFL) or Baby Girl Lisa (90 Fiancé)as the fifth wife.  I don’t see why TLC can’t make that happen, I mean what’s one more fake engagement or sham of a marriage 😂

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

Yeah, I think a lot of the Browns are a mess, but I think even Kody and them would draw the line at marrying his daughter.  I mean I get they were all mostly related before getting married, but I don’t think even they would go there.  Also, as mentioned, I don’t see Robyn going for being replaced by an actual younger version of herself.  I’m still routing for a TLC crossover with either Whitney Way Thore (MBFFL) or Baby Girl Lisa (90 Fiancé)as the fifth wife.  I don’t see why TLC can’t make that happen, I mean what’s one more fake engagement or sham of a marriage 😂

OMGee Yes! Baby Girl Lisa, yes! Pleeeease, TLC. Omg thar gravelly voice calling "Koe-deee!" Maybe Aurora could marry Coltee (j/k >barf<)

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)

I seem to recall one of the Brown or Darger sisterwives mentioning a mother/daughter pair of wives in one of their family wreathes (in addition to the sister/sister/cousin Darger sisterwives). Joseph Smith was a fan of "marrying" mothers, their daughters (not his) & sisters

Edited by deirdra
15 minutes ago, deirdra said:

I seem to recall one of the Brown or Darger sisterwives mentioning a mother/daughter pair of wives in one of their family wreathes (in addition to the sister/sister/cousin Darger sisterwives). Joseph Smith was a fan of "marrying" mothers, their daughters (not his) & sisters

🤢🤮

• Love 5
21 hours ago, deirdra said:

I think it is much more like that she would be a sister wife to Aspyn, although I am betting that none of Robyn's kids have plural families. 

• Love 1
On 5/3/2021 at 10:34 PM, Irate Panda said:

I wasn’t sure which thread to put this in but do the kids under 18 get any money they’re paid set aside in a trust for when they turn 18 or do the individual parents have authority of any or all monies? I vaguely heard of Coogan’s Law, but didn’t know if it applied to reality shows kids. 

Ehm... this is a family that has gone bankrupt on several occasions, that  sold quite a few houses at a loss (or a minimal profit at best). A family that spend an outrageous amount on way too expensive rentals, way too expensive homes (Robyn) or worthless land (Coyote Pass) and I haven’t even discussed other aspects of their lifestyle and actions such as destroying a chance for scholarships (Gabe) Besides, they have admitted several times that money is a big issue...

They cannot even take care of the basic financial needs for a family, let alone make any provisions for their kids’ future. So, I’m pretty sure there’s nothing for the kids....(well, maybe a lot of debts)

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, LilyD said:

Ehm... this is a family that has gone bankrupt on several occasions, that  sold quite a few houses at a loss (or a minimal profit at best). A family that spend an outrageous amount on way too expensive rentals, way too expensive homes (Robyn) or worthless land (Coyote Pass) and I haven’t even discussed other aspects of their lifestyle and actions such as destroying a chance for scholarships (Gabe) Besides, they have admitted several times that money is a big issue...

They cannot even take care of the basic financial needs for a family, let alone make any provisions for their kids’ future. So, I’m pretty sure there’s nothing for the kids....(well, maybe a lot of debts)

Yeah I didn’t think they would do it on their own, I was just wondering if it fell under the law required to do so.  I mean they need their McMansions and convertibles, so I didn’t expect much planning except telling the kids to get scholarships...and I think Meri may have been more generous with Mariah  because she only had one child and later guilt about the Catfish. None of these people are parent of the year.  Honestly, Logan seemed more like a responsible parent as a teenager than these fools do in their 50s (I know Robyn is “42” —still need the birth certificate on that one—but she looks at least 52 to me)

• Love 8

There is no law nationally that requires any reality production to set aside funds for childhood participation.  The Coogan Act is regarding acting guilds (unions) such as SAG/AFTRA.  Reality participants are not generally considered actors and cannot join the guild.  A few states have enacted laws pertaining to income of minors on reality shows.  There are only a very few.  

California ruled that minors on reality shows are indeed entertainers in a case against Octomom so accounts must be set up for minors on reality shows in California even though they are still not guild members.

TLC/their production companies generally pay one entity for family shows.  The family usually sets up an LLC or some other entertainment business and receives the funds.  Then it's up to the governing body of the entertainment business how to divvy up the proceeds.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, Absolom said:

There is no law nationally that requires any reality production to set aside funds for childhood participation.  The Coogan Act is regarding acting guilds (unions) such as SAG/AFTRA.  Reality participants are not generally considered actors and cannot join the guild.  A few states have enacted laws pertaining to income of minors on reality shows.  There are only a very few.  

California ruled that minors on reality shows are indeed entertainers in a case against Octomom so accounts must be set up for minors on reality shows in California even though they are still not guild members.

TLC/their production companies generally pay one entity for family shows.  The family usually sets up an LLC or some other entertainment business and receives the funds.  Then it's up to the governing body of the entertainment business how to divvy up the proceeds.  

In 2012 Pennsylvania enacted a similar law.

https://www.thereporteronline.com/news/new-pennsylvania-law-affects-child-actors/article_1bcc1ea4-ba22-5fac-8c41-beb1aeb54b1f.html

• Useful 5

7 hours ago, LilyD said:

I’m pretty sure there’s nothing for the kids

Wasn't kody brown lamenting about "his" "retirement"?

Sounded like anything he found under the couch cushions would be HIS to grow old with.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, itsadryheat said:

Wasn't kody brown lamenting about "his" "retirement"?

Sounded like anything he found under the couch cushions would be HIS to grow old with.

Yes, I remember him blabbering about retirement when he was complaining about how old he will be when Aerosol Can graduates.  I also think he tried to imply them moving to Flagstaff would also free up money for his retirement, which of course didn’t make sense since it costs so much money to live there. 

• Love 9
(edited)

There were some posts on the Meri thread about the catfish, that led to a post of a Rebecca Kimble video from 2011 on the Browns' bankruptcies. That video led me to this one, kind of interesting looking back at the beginning, and different from the more widely-seen Today show interviews at the start of the show.

Edited by Teafortwo
typos
  • Useful 4
On 5/29/2021 at 8:21 AM, Teafortwo said:

looking back at the beginning

Going back in time from the beginning and comparing the 5 adult Sister Wives characters is the best part of this scripted soap opera. From fresh faced to tortured in ten years. Telling what the choice to live with kody brown, the plyg lifestyle and reality tv will do to you. Wonder how the coming celestial life treats them . . . wishing that one is filmed. 

• Love 11
On 6/16/2021 at 4:28 AM, Teafortwo said:

My last post got messed up and I don't know how to delete. Anyway this is very funny:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TLCsisterwives/comments/nqa6w8/69_my_favorite_sister_wives_moment/

That post led me to this one:

and I hope Meri never sees this, otherwise she'll start using it, as if it's an actual pic of her, on everything she posts. I mean, she's halfway there with all the face tuning she does! 🤣 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

That post led me to this one:

and I hope Meri never sees this, otherwise she'll start using it, as if it's an actual pic of her, on everything she posts. I mean, she's halfway there with all the face tuning she does! 🤣 

And let’s be honest, Kootie could never look that good 🤣

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Inquiring minds want to know. If this goes to Discovery plus, would you pay to see it?

I wouldn't pay to subscribe, there are plenty of reviews and recaps out there on the other shows only available on there from those that already have Discovery plus, so there would no doubt be the same available for SW if that's the route they take the show.

UNLESS, I hear through the grapevine that Christine and Meri have decided to Flee Flagstaff, those would be episodes I would definitely want to see and hear with my own eyes and ears.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Inquiring minds want to know. If this goes to Discovery plus, would you pay to see it?

That would be a big NOPE! Would not subscribe for any show...

• Love 10

My girlfriend gave me her password to use her free trial of Discovery +

I didn’t feel it was worth the money, but I don’t spend my life on the HGTV and Cooking channels. I did like the series where Giada and Bobby Flay went to Italy to research and cook food together. 

• Useful 4

I can't stand how many things are going to streaming! We're on metered internet, and can't even have our 'smart' tv hooked up, otherwise it drains out monthly data allotment--that's even without watching anything! #1 Drawback of rural living.

Since I'm being an old crank, I'm also mad over how many channels are doing the 'plus' thing and charging extra on top of what I already pay for satellite. I feel it should be free , (not that I could use it with out awful internet, lol), with my payment for satellite service, like Bravo is. Do they all think I've got a money tree flourishing in the yard?! Humpfh! 

okay, I'm all done with the complaining now, 😆 

• LOL 1
  • Love 18
14 minutes ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

I can't stand how many things are going to streaming! We're on metered internet, and can't even have our 'smart' tv hooked up, otherwise it drains out monthly data allotment--that's even without watching anything! #1 Drawback of rural living.

Since I'm being an old crank, I'm also mad over how many channels are doing the 'plus' thing and charging extra on top of what I already pay for satellite. I feel it should be free , (not that I could use it with out awful internet, lol), with my payment for satellite service, like Bravo is. Do they all think I've got a money tree flourishing in the yard?! Humpfh! 

Have you visited the Pet Peeves forum?

• Useful 4
16 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

I will go to Pet Peeves with this, but I just wonder what action can be taken. A lot of viewers are livid about this extra streaming wave that is way over the top. It seems few people want it and the companies won’t take no for an answer. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

I can't stand how many things are going to streaming!

It has really gotten out of hand.  While they advertise it as "only $5 a month" if you have to pay for several services just to watch what you like it really adds up especially if you have to pay for cable or internet in addition.  

So, to answer my own question, no way in hell I would pay even a single penny to watch these clowns on Discovery+ or anything else for that matter. I do miss The Zoo San Diego and would be really distressed if The Secret Life of the Zoo went D+ as well but I guess I would have to live with that.  It's just a money grab on the part of the networks just like the way that you have to pay for a seat assignment, luggage, and all the other crap on the airlines.  Disgusting vultures!

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

It has really gotten out of hand.  While they advertise it as "only $5 a month" if you have to pay for several services just to watch what you like it really adds up especially if you have to pay for cable or internet in addition.  

So, to answer my own question, no way in hell I would pay even a single penny to watch these clowns on Discovery+ or anything else for that matter. I do miss The Zoo San Diego and would be really distressed if The Secret Life of the Zoo went D+ as well but I guess I would have to live with that.  It's just a money grab on the part of the networks just like the way that you have to pay for a seat assignment, luggage, and all the other crap on the airlines.  Disgusting vultures!

Thank you! I didn't know about the pet peeves forum. I will take a peek and use it to vent my spleen going forward!

And Exactly! It's all a huge money suck. I think CBS all access was the start of it, and now they're all going for the cash grab. Funny thing: The last flight I took, I gather I picked economy, and the airline blurb stated that I'd have a comfortable seat inside the cabin....as opposed to what? Were they going to duct tape me to the wing outside? 😂 

I like watching the SWives because it's interesting, and so very much fun to snark, but I wouldn't spend $5 extra bucks on them. (I even read their book for free on archive.org lending library 😝)

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Do we know for sure that SW is going to Discovery Plus?  Honestly, I subscribe to enough streaming services right now, I refuse to do another.  Just leave us snarky COL's alone and keep them on regular old TLC!  

However, for the brief time that I cut my cable cord and couldn't watch TLC, I was the one who held my breath and pouted until y'all up in these threads started doing regular recaps, which were always much better than actually watching the show, so hopefully a few of us will be able to watch this trainwreck continue to careen through Flagstaff and report back.

• Love 9
42 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Do we know for sure that SW is going to Discovery Plus? 

No, no, no!  I just floated the question out of curiosity on what our snarkers would do "if",  I should have been clearer - that's how rumors run rampant!

• LOL 6