Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Should Be Multiplied, Not Divided: General Show Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

This show. It's so ridiculous and I just can't quit watching. I think I still watch in the hopes I will witness this crap-fest falling apart.

That's what keeps me coming back too. I feel like they're always on the edge of a blowout and I don't want to miss the moment when it happens. Of course should something watchable finally did happen, odds are it wouldn't be on TV. It might turn out like Cheer Perfection, which melted down offstage and now we don't get to watch the fallout. 

Edited by momofsquid

I'm watching for Wife 5 to knock the pins out from under Robyn, but suspect she's already scripted that to be her sister, which is why they moved to Las Vegas in the first place (her father also lives there).  After all, doesn't Robyn write the script now?  I, too, find these wives more interesting that the Brady Bunch; Christine fan from Day One.

• Love 2

Hey all!  Welcome!  I'm going to be the mod around here for awhile, although you may see others passing through now and then.

To help get this forum up and going I've changed the title of this thread to "General Discussion."  We can use it to discuss general issues about the show, until we end up making some more specific topic threads.

That said, PLEASE feel free to create topic threads for characters, episodes, themes, etc.  I know at TWoP you were probably only allowed one thread for everything, but here you have more freedom.  So go forth and multiply (just try not to break any laws in the process or else you'll have to leave town in the middle of the night).

I'm also creating a "Small Talk" thread for introducing yourself, shooting the breeze, discussing personal issues, anything off-topic, K?

Glad to have you all here!

• Love 4

If Kody 'marries' Robyn's sister, I guess she'll have to live with Robyn.  I can't imagine that bunch would be able to finance the building of another home, and there's no way in hell that Meri would share her wet bar with another woman.

• Love 6

Robyn would be all for that if Sis would babysit so she can have more "dates" with Cody; after all, it's been so long!  Doesn't look like Meri's planning to step up to the plate.

• Love 1

Hi everyone...another long-time TWop-er joining the Sister Wives talk here. One of my most fervent wishes is that this show stays on the air until Kody takes a 5th wife. Robyn needs to know the joy of being displaced by a younger model.

• Love 7

Can wait for another season of "I bet he's never done HVAC repair for a guy with 4 wives before..."

Cut to interview of HVAC repairman: I can't say that I've ever fixed the A/C units of a guys with 4 wives, but they seemed like nice enough people.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I came over from TWoP (same name) but really don't post in the thread there...I don't have any issue or problem with Meri or her wet bar, and I kind of felt like you had to feel that way. So, we'll see how it goes over here in the plyg cul-de-sac. 4 women sharing a husband, THAT I have a problem with; Meri and wet bar, no.    =)

And OMG is Kody going to marry Robyn's sister?? And here I've been hanging on just rubbing my hands together with glee in anticipation of seeing Robyn knocked off her perch. That better happen, because I just can't get interested in that other plyg family that's on now too. 

• Love 2

I am waiting for one of them split. I can't decide which one I want to see go first. I feel mean saying that because of the kids. One hopes the kids feel some sort of stability. They seem happy enough!

Kody is marrying Robin's sister? What? So their kids will be cousins twice? And their Aunt is now their Mother? 

This show is so skeevy, anyway, but that is beyond the pale.  A woman has to have several screws loose to want to share a marital bed with her sister's husband. 

What I can't understand about this show, or this belief system, is how these ladies convince themselves this arrangement is somehow to their benefit. It seems obvious they don't believe it whole-heartedly, as none of them have successfully indoctrinated their  children into this nonsense. Meriah seemed to be the only one with any inclination to repeat their mother's mistakes, but in the season finale it seemed she had come around to maybe waiting on that. I doubt she will marry into this. Her siblings seemed pretty stoked she had rethought things, and I really hope their influence overrides any erroneous perception she has that her parents' lifestyle is rewarding or life-affirming. One look at her mother's miserable face should be evidence enough that no one comes out of that kind of 'marriage' whole or better for it.

It's so sad to watch women subjugate themselves to a man, all the while insisting they have the upper hand. The very notion of polygamy is based around the superiority of men, and the interchangeability of women. Men are over-valued, and that's the understatement of the year when it comes to Kody Brown.

Edited by JustAlison
  • Love 6

Hey all, new to PTV and am glad to see this forum.  This show fascinates me.  I don't buy for a second that they are happy (in the grand scheme of things), but I do love watching them try to convince everyone.  

I think I fell behind on some of the episodes, so will have to catch up.  The last thing I remember about a 5th wife is the fortune teller telling Kody there would be another.  Can someone catch me up on any important progressions after that?

Unless I've missed something, the only thing we know for sure is they haven't ruled out another wife. Ugh. Not even sure where they would put her, isn't the cul-de-sac full?

Course, if they get a new wife, it might be a really good idea to get one with a great job and income. That would at least change things up a bit.

Lazy Toaster, yes, it would be a good idea for KoDoucheNozzle to find a wife with a great job and income. However, any woman smart enough to have a good job is smart enough to stay the hell away from that mess on wheels.

• Love 2

Twins and a cousin, right?

I had to look that up, didn't know about the cousin but yes, you are right.  Apparently he courted and married one of the twins and her cousin at the same time, then married the other twin sister 10 years later (and they are identical twins, strangely enough)!  Wow, a whole world full of women and he marries three from the same family!

I hope Kody does not take another wife because he sure isn't taking care of the ones he has. Yeah sure, Robyn would get a little taste of what the others went through but I can't wish for more pain for anyone. Not even Robyn.

I saw a commercial for the upcoming season during "My Five Wives" (don't judge me).  Apparently Meri is going back to school (probably near Mariah--haha) and told Robyn she will no longer be helping with the jewelry line and that it was never her dream.  Of course, it was high drama between the two.  

• Love 1

Nah--if she goes with Mariah she'll have to live in a dorm with a bunch of other girls--might as well stay at home and at least have some control over when the crowds come over!  Wet bar wins, wet bar wins!

For the title to be sister wives I would expect them to be more loving and have closer relationships then they do. Maybe I am wrong, but when the baby, Truley, sorry if misspelled, was deathly ill, Christina was on the couch with the other wives crying her eyes out, not a back rub, a knee rub, passing a tissue, nothing. They just sat there staring knot space. I absolut,eh don't get this. I don't understand polygamy or their lifestyle but I do understand compassion, even to an complete stranger. They are so concerned about a statement forms home and abiding by it, but what about leading by example. And why does America need the same size home as her sister wives who have 4,5,6 kids and she has one that is now in college. I don't see how the other wives think that is fair to them. She is sooooooo selfish. And the whole wanting another kid storyline, kill me already. He said ok, Robin is ready, what is the damn issue. They just don't look loving to me so I guess polygamy doesn't necessarily mean more love, just more kids, in the Browns' case.

• Love 2

Most polygamist sects do not have loving, monogamist-style marriages with close sister-wife relationships. The man marries the woman in order to make many, many children in name of God. Period. The husband and wife may have friendly feelings for each other and may even develop something more over the years, but for the most part it is strictly business. The sister wives barely tolerate each other, usually live in separate houses or separate levels of a house and the families are raised only by that mother. The AUB sect (which the Browns, Dargers and Williams belong to) is more family-oriented than the other sects and I think that is why we are seeing those families on TV. But you can also see what happens when you try to force monogamist ideas and function into a plig marriage. You get the trainwrecks we are watching on TLC.

• Love 4

I don't understand polygamy or their lifestyle but I do understand compassion, even to an complete stranger.

And while they claim to do this all in the name of religion, they apparently feel free to ignore one of the most basic tenets of most religions - "do unto others".  We see nothing that would recommend them as a religious family - no helping each other, no service to the poor or sick, no volunteerism.  Instead it's all "me-me-me, mine-mine-mine and see how many people I can flim flam to get what I want".

• Love 5

I saw a commercial for the upcoming season during "My Five Wives" (don't judge me).  Apparently Meri is going back to school (probably near Mariah--haha) and told Robyn she will no longer be helping with the jewelry line and that it was never her dream.  Of course, it was high drama between the two.

Meri going back to school. Yawn. Drama about the polygamist jewelry line that no one wants to be a part of besides Robyn. Yawn.

I though Meri looked awful. Although she was never a prize IMO, She has really gone down hill.

• Love 2

Re: the TLC clip of Kody and Meri discussing Meri going back to school. First, are these two trying to outdo each other for worst hair?? Kody's looked even worse than usual, stringy and dirty, and Meri's usual mess (did someone tell her that having it stick out in 500 directions is cool and edgy?) looks so thick with product, it's nasty. It is also collecting lint--there is some little white tidbit stuck on the top of her head.

Second: Drama on top = Meri finally jumps ship on the joory business. Actual drama = Robyn is pissed that she's tied to a houseful of kids and Meri gets to explore life outside the cul-de-sac. What? No extra babysitting??

I'm glad to hear Meri is planning to go to UNLV although I hope her schedule doesn't have her anywhere near any of the Brown offspring.  The hair?!  Did either of them think that looked good? 

Of course Robyn wants another baby.  The attention has drifted away from her lately.  Plus she might be expected to actually work if she weren't pregnant or nursing. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Robyn is already pregnant and they are saving that reveal.  I follow all the Browns on Twitter and there have been a couple pics posted recently that made me wonder.

Edited by GleamingMist
  • Love 1

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Robyn is already pregnant and they are saving that reveal.  I follow all the Browns on Twitter and there have been a couple pics posted recently that made me wonder.

Me, too.  She either gained weight or that promo was a lead up to what is already in the works.

Of course Robyn wants another baby.  The attention has drifted away from her lately.  Plus she might be expected to actually work if she weren't pregnant or nursing.

Do I just leave the bills on the counter?

Yeah she never wants to work. I hope Kody's new wife is older and fat just to she Robyn's witch face spin like the Exorcist.

So, if Meri goes back to school and gets a degree, and that leads to a decent paying career, does she get to keep all the money?  I think she's building a lifeboat.  

• Love 5

The beginning of season 2 is on every day this week at 5am CST on TLC. Watching season 2, episode 1, I forgot how much prettier Robyn used to be. What happened? Age? Living with KodeBeast and wicked witch Meri? That 4th baby?  It's like too much Kody semen over the years soured her looks.  Also, HATE the way she says "Day-den" (Dayton)

I also felt kind of bad. It was all the kids first day of public school (they were still in Utah, before Kody was led by the bright lights of Sin City in the middle of the night and disrupted 16 kids lives) and Christine had been up since 5am and was curling Aspyn's hair with a clipless, cone-like curling wand to make ringlets. Usually you do that to give some nice, falling, ringlet-LIKE curls.  They left hers as is and she went to school, looking like an Irish Dancer. I feel kind of bad, but I laughed. Her hair was so short back then, it looked like an add-on fall hairpiece. But who knows, maybe that's the look she was going for?

• Love 2

Is Robyn the brunette? I'm new to the show and having trouble keeping everyone straight. If so, what's her story. She seems so out of place. Not only does she look so different than the other wives(I'd say Kody has a type, except for her ), I got the impression she didn't grow up plig or even around a plig community by the way she tried to compare her mom's 1st and 2nd marriages to being a 1st and 2nd sister wife. Plus she seems to hate everybody. Well they all do, but I'm not even sure she believes in the principal. How did she get involved in all this?

• Love 1
(edited)

Robyn is the brunette, the newest wife of...3 years, maybe?  She was raised plyg, her first marriage was supposed to be polygamous, but it didn't work out and she's now on marriage number two with Ko-douche and his miserable stable of wives. 

Meri set the whole thing up because she wanted an ally in the continuing tension between the wives.  Janelle and Christine were united against Meri, so Meri brought in reinforcements.  It kind of went tits up when Kody liked his newest wife much better than the other wives were comfortable with. 

Plus Robyn has an annoying habit of trying to set the tone for the family, trying to run interference for Meri when there's a problem, trying to push the other wives into her stupid jewelry business, and then she had the nerve to get pregnant and has acted ever since like her baby with Ko-douche is the second coming. 

Then she offered to have another baby for Meri, but she probably realized that Meri really didn't want another baby, Meri wants something to complain about, a 'woe is me' story.  Meri used that offer to keep the show held hostage for one or two seasons of "will she or won't she?". 

Finally Ko-douche put an end to it by telling Meri that he wanted an answer right now or it was a no go.  Meri couldn't bring herself to say yes, so the offer is apparently no longer in effect and there are reports that Robyn is pregnant again. 

Now Meri is heading back to school again, where I personally doubt she'll accomplish anything.  And Robyn is still trying to figure out why the other wives won't help with her jewelry business and why they're not lining up to take care of Robyn's brood for her.  Should be fun.

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 4
(edited)

Mrs. Snark and I like to do a little Mystery Science Theater 3000 during Sister Wives. Makes it waaaaaayy more fun. Plus, it's the only way I will watch it.

Edited by MarkySnark
  • Love 2
(edited)

Rewatching the last couple of episodes, remembering how exhausting (and dense) these people are. So much drama, so many ways to make *every little thing* hard, for such a ticky-tacky little party. Sheesh. The dresses (yikes!). The mission statement (I'm a boards consultant - I could use this as an ultimate example of a mission statement process gone horribly wrong.). The "little" food. The lights.

Oh, the damn lights: Kody's uselessness in a nutshell.

Edited by RealityCowgirl

Thanks for the info about Robin. She gives off a bad vibe. There's something very manipulative about her. Man these people are sad. It's like watching 4 marriages crash and burn at once. They all hate each other.

Ok so I swore I wouldn't snicker at anything while Kody talked about his dead brother because that's really sad and a hard thing to go through. And then he referred to his brother as a warrior poet. Damn you Kody! You have to meet me half way!

• Love 6

Does Madison and Mykelti go to the same high school? I thought the kids were all in the same high/middle/elementary schools. But there twitter feed from today and yesterday makes it seem as if those 2 don't attend the same high school because it seems like Mykelti graduated yesterday and Madison is graduating today.

Yeah, I thought Kody mentioned on the show that Mykelti and her boyfriend went to some "college" but he said they were in the high school program there.

I haven't really kept up with this show and watched just a bit of the show the other night. Janelle is looking good! I'm glad she hasn't lost a lot of weight quickly - she looks much healthier.

The show is just confusing because I can't decide who to hate the most at any given time.

The show is just confusing because I can't decide who to hate the most at any given time.

I start with Kadoofus and go from there (like his comment on knowing both biology AND science, saying Day-un was "quirky" and the dramatic running from house to house with that stupid backpack - those all keep him in top place this week). 

However, since the entire group of adults put together doesn't equal one normal IQ it's pretty easy to change the order on a regular basis.

Let's see - let's start a business.  We don't need no stinking business plan. We just know we have oodles of adoring fans who will dump hard earned cash on crappy jewelry that has symbolism to absolutely none of them.  But wait, we need to open a chain of stores so let's go ask some clueless "investor" to dump millions into our house payments, er, I mean bank accounts.  What, they won't do it?  It's not fair, it's because they want to persecute us for polygamy.  Meanies.

• Love 4