Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: Race to the Altar

Just as some people see Jessa's I don't care or bitchy attitude as a defense mechanism and a way to keep her true feelings private, I think Jana's little smile and not saying very much is her defense mechanism especially when on camera.  She has found a camera persona that works for her and just like Jinger's eye rolls Jana gives a controlled little smile and very few words.

• Love 4

Did any find the preview where JB tells BS he's going to "show you how to kiss her" creepy? I wasn't looking at the screen when I heard it, so you can imagine how shocked I was! LOL

I'm thoroughly grossed out over that scene. What is these peoples issues? What is their obsession with making out in front of their kids? And of course, the time JB&M posed their kissing pic after the Benessa fiasco.

The fact that Jim Bob is even thinking about Ben & Jessa kissing & needing to teach them how was a real ewww moment for me.  It makes me think JB was up all night after Jill's wedding wondering if "it" happened yet.

I can picture Boob glancing over to Mechelle with tears in his eyes saying, "Has it happened yet?  I can't believe our little Jilly Muffin is having her hymen broken. Tonight. I just blinked, and poof! He hymen popped."

JoyAnna is the beauty of that family!  Sure, Jessa is the 'queen', but she knows it, so to me it's not pretty.  Joy has a very beautiful face + a petite and curvy figure. 

Totally and completely agree. She's got the adorable freckles. She hasn't gotten to the point of turning into a shell of what was a cute personality at one point, you can still see her spunk. Great facial features. She used to remind me of a young Lindsay Lohan (before the big "change").

Just as some people see Jessa's I don't care or bitchy attitude as a defense mechanism and a way to keep her true feelings private, I think Jana's little smile and not saying very much is her defense mechanism especially when on camera.  She has found a camera persona that works for her and just like Jinger's eye rolls Jana gives a controlled little smile and very few words.

Yes, you can tell they really did beat the personality out of her when she was young. It's sad, she's just trained to be a certain way and you can tell. Who really bugs me now with that is Jinger. Obviously, she was well liked when she was young by viewers and always had the teenage eye rolls and embarrassment. But now I just see her with a fake smile, words already written on what to say and her eyes just googly, yet vacant. She has very little redeeming qualities anymore.

• Love 1

So at what point is Jana's happiness the responsibility of Jana?

I can't imagine how miserable Jana's daily life is and it got worse when two of her sisters got married and left the TTH. She's probably getting her nose rubbed in it 24x7 by Jill and Jessa as well, because I can't imagine those two would even take into consideration how much it must hurt for Jana to know she is stuck at home until she either finds a guy or snaps. J-Chelle isn't interested in her household of kids and I'm sure Jim Boob has impressed on Jana that he really doesn't care about her or her feelings, it's all about making sure J-Chelle is happy.

I don't blame her at all for seeming like she's sad. Anyone with an IQ over room temperature would be miserable in that house.

• Love 3

That's a good point about whether Jill, Jessa, or even Josh and Anna are rubbing it in her face on finding guy. She should spend more time with Amy. I know she has a guy but I don't think she would rub it in Jana's face and Amy would be more fun to be around.

Edited by TheDoctorsCompanio
  • Love 2

But rubbing your face in it would only matter if that was something that mattered to you. It's quite possible that she looks at Anna and Jill and thinks, "At least I'm not pregnant, and the children I'm raising are nearly raised, while yours are just starting. And Anna, c'mon, you're married to JOSH, for pity's sake." And she says, in her head, to Jessa, "When and if I marry, I will take a man, not some boy toy."

Really, we have no idea who she is or how she feels.

• Love 9

I'm thoroughly grossed out over that scene. What is these peoples issues? What is their obsession with making out in front of their kids? And of course, the time JB&M posed their kissing pic after the Benessa fiasco.

I can picture Boob glancing over to Mechelle with tears in his eyes saying, "Has it happened yet?  I can't believe our little Jilly Muffin is having her hymen broken. Tonight. I just blinked, and poof! He hymen popped."

Well they have to reassure the whole world that they still make out and have hot monkey sex after all these years, ya know. Can't let the kids have all the attention! LOOK AT US, LOOK AT US!

I'm sure JB will hand Bin  a copy of that ridiculous sex DVD that he gave Josh. Awkward!

• Love 1

I think Jana could be married if she wanted to be. If Jim Bob and Michelle wanted her to stay home, they could just make up some bullcrap jobs for her and her husband. Household managers, maybe?

I can picture Boob glancing over to Mechelle with tears in his eyes saying, "Has it happened yet? I can't believe our little Jilly Muffin is having her hymen broken. Tonight. I just blinked, and poof! He hymen popped."

I was wondering this about Michelle and Jim Blob. The way they fetishise being pure and "in tact", I wouldn't be surprised if they stay up wondering if the "big moment " happened. They are so skeevy and Jim Bob is such a perv. He treats his daughters like his sugar dolls. Blech. Edited by Joe Jitsu913
  • Love 1

I think Jana could be married if she wanted to be. If Jim Bob and Michelle wanted her to stay home, they could just make up some bullcrap jobs for her and her husband. Household managers, maybe?

They could open a daycare/ home school for her younger sibs. JB would pay her about $5 an hour for that

Well they have to reassure the whole world that they still make out and have hot monkey sex after all these years, ya know. Can't let the kids have all the attention! LOOK AT US, LOOK AT US!

I'm sure JB will hand Bin  a copy of that ridiculous sex DVD that he gave Josh. Awkward!

Wow, the last - the very last - couple in the world that I could believe actually having hot monkey sex.  Boob knows one way - and that's it. And Mechelle would never initiate anything, lest she be condemned again as the high school tramp she once was...

• Love 2

I can picture Boob glancing over to Mechelle with tears in his eyes saying, "Has it happened yet?"

Ew. So much ew. But I guess as far as Boob and Jchelle are concerned, at least DerickDillard is doing his job and impregnating their daughter. BenSeewald (as far as we know) hasn't done anything for them except make occasional narrow-minded remarks that they have to defend/explain, clean their toilets and serve as eye candy for thirsty menopausal Jchelle.

• Love 2

But rubbing your face in it would only matter if that was something that mattered to you.

Really, we have no idea who she is or how she feels.

Considering the fact the women in that cult (and yeah, I'm going there) are indoctrinated to believe from the time they're blanket trained that they are nothing unless they are married and popping out babies on the regular, believing that Jana probably wonders why it hasn't happened for her yet (and thinking that her sisters have come up with a thousand ways to torment her re: her unmarried status) isn't a stretch. We saw a few minutes of Jessa Blessa in action a few episodes ago, for instance. One can only imagine what she's like when the cameras are off. Jill can't wait to work her newlywed/pregnant status into every interaction as well. Even if Jana wasn't quite so interested in being a wife and a mother, dealing with starry-eyed newlyweds that let her know she's stuck would be almost intolerable.

• Love 3

But if she's really only staying because she loves and cares for her youngest siblings, or because she really does love her mother and is worried about her, then I think it's just possible that she looks at her sisters and sister in law's lives and genuinely pity's them.

There are so many ways that Jana can go. Right now she's more like a Rorschach test for viewers than a real person. We are able to see in her what we want to see because she gives away so little of who she really is.

• Love 4

But if she's really only staying because she loves and cares for her youngest siblings, or because she really does love her mother and is worried about her, then I think it's just possible that she looks at her sisters and sister in law's lives and genuinely pity's them.

There are so many ways that Jana can go. Right now she's more like a Rorschach test for viewers than a real person. We are able to see in her what we want to see because she gives away so little of who she really is.

Well, I guess that Jana might think that she's able to leave if she wants, and is only staying on because of her love for her younger siblings, or worry for her mother. 

And if she's only staying because she's worried about her mother, that opens up another can of worms.  Is she worried that her mother would hurt the remaining children if Jana weren't there?  Or that actually having to be a present mother to her children would cause her to go into some sort of mental or emotional tailspin?  Or would Jana be worried that her mother would simply lock herself in her room and ignore the other kids? 

If something like that were the only thing keeping Jana there, then I have to wonder why Jana doesn't feel that her father, her grandmother, or her older siblings wouldn't take up the slack.

And where the hell would JB be at this point?  Probably working on getting the next season with TLC while making excuses for Michelle and Jana not being there.

It seems more likely to me that Jana has been so indoctrinated at this point, that she's terrified to leave and is at the point where she's beating herself up whenever she feels like she wants to leave.

I can't imagine she feels pity for her sisters who've grabbed the nearest acceptable guy and jumped ship, especially since they've done everything they could to show how much better they are for having done so.  I suspect that Jana is trying her best to feel happy for them, and then feeling bad that she is jealous and resentful of them.  Her lifetime of conditioning to 'keep sweet' pretty much prevents her from exploring her feelings if it might lead her away from the fold.  I also suspect that she's most likely to be found catatonic one day, unresponsive to outside stimuli while she wrestles in her head with her true feelings versus what she's been told to feel all her life.

• Love 3

Except I think Jana could have a guy from this world in a heartbeat if she is willing to settle for someone along the lines of her sisters - both men seemingly willing to be led by her father. If she is hoping for a man with true leadership ability (as in she really drank the koolaid and believes this is her birthright) she might not be jealous at all.

In the fundie world I'd think that a woman Jana's age is not considered too old not to be married. I imagine as Jana approaches 30, that people might start to get a little worried or begin to wonder what's wrong with her. I don't get the feeling that she's looking at Jill & Jessa and thinking "I want to find myself a Derick or Ben." She could probably find one of those and be in a courtship by now. I don't think she's staying single out of obligation to her siblings either. I suspect she just hasn't met anyone that she's attracted to enough, or possibly found one she was interested in but the feeling wasn't mutual or they were taken. I think Jana is picky and/or doesn't know what she wants.

• Love 4

Except I think Jana could have a guy from this world in a heartbeat if she is willing to settle for someone along the lines of her sisters - both men seemingly willing to be led by her father. If she is hoping for a man with true leadership ability (as in she really drank the koolaid and believes this is her birthright) she might not be jealous at all.

Agree. It seems pretty obvious that Jana, being the eldest and IMO - prettiest - of the Duggar girls could absolutely be married by now - if she wanted to be. My guess is that Boob honestly wanted her to be the first daughter wed. So she either doesn't want it, doesn't want it now - or hasn't been presented with any acceptable candidates yet.

• Love 2

Regarding Jessa's registry, I can't imagine how much useless crap she ended up with because she didn't put any real thought into what she'd need.

I noticed this too. They came across as a bunch of kids just playing with the registry gun. When Jessa was in the kitchen section, she said "Ooh Crock Pot" & zapped it quickly. She didn't even look it over first to see what features it had.

I think Jill should have invited Boob to join in the Nepali dinner as we saw how much he loved the Nepali food when the visited Derick. (Not) After watching that episode again, I was so embarrassed for Jill & especially Derick in how he acted about the food. He thinks he's just being funny when rudeness is what comes across. I like when Derick finally said something like he just eats it & doesn't ask questions when Boob was grilling him. Jill seemed eager to eat the Nepali food & embarrassed in how Boob was acting. Boob acted the same way when they visited the other countries & I laughed when he called himself a World Traveler. I'm sure Grandma Mary raised him better than that.

• Love 2

My BIL is the same way. It perpetuates the "Ugly American traveler" stereotype.

When my brother and SIL went to Colombia 10 years ago to adopt my nephew, they ran into a couple who was the same way. The other couple even insisted on going to McDonald's for every meal instead of branching out and trying Colombian food.

God, poor Jana. That she might think she is responsible for taking care of her poor excuse of a mother is shameful. That her sisters should rub it in her face is even more shameful.  They are not too far removed from where she is now.  Boob and JChelle are beyond shameful parents. I hope Jana will found someone who loves her and treats her like a gueen. Then, she can shove it in everyone's face.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 1