Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: Race to the Altar

Toys on the wedding registry. Seriously? I initially thought Ben and Jessa were non-materialistic in their wedding plans, but now I think they are alarmingly juvenille. They ran through Wal-Mart with the scanner acting like kids in a candy store. I can't believe these two are mature enough to marry. They seem like two middle schoolers playing house.

Edited by NJRach
  • Love 10

-Jessa is engaged to Ben Seewald. Really...Seriously...Thanks for the newsflash.

-I think Michelle has the secret hots for Ben

-Ben should take his show on the road and become a physical trainer. He could start with Josh.

-Can Jill spend a day without the giggles.

-I do not think Jana was too excited about cooking with Jill.

-Jill does not have her own house, she got one from daddy for a wedding present. She did not work her special and awesome behind off to get her own house.

-Jill did not mention she took Derick to work and pick him up.

Toys on the wedding registry. Seriously? I initially thought Ben and Jessa were non-materialistic in their wedding plans, but now I think they are alarmingly juvenille. They ran through Wal-Mart with the scanner acting like kids in a candy store. I can't believe these two are mature enough to marry. They seem like two middle schoolers playing house.

Nope. Benessa's registries totaled something close to $30,000. 

• Love 1

I can't believe he was eating with his hands..i don't care if that is the custom in Nepal...just ewww.

I used to think Derrickdillard was kinda cute in a homely skinny hangdog way.But lately he seems to be losing brain matter. His jaw is starting to hang open more in the THs...his eyes..he looks like a deer in the headlights..simple almost.

Joyanna looked ridiculous in that skirt and track pants..i mean really. And i agree with the above poster who mentioned Jessa straddling the bench in her skirt. Blessa is stealth. She knew what she was doing. .haha

And it bears repeating. .those girls have the makings of a full service salon in their room..and not ONE of them could fix grammas roots after all the clean clothes she has supplied them? Shameless.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 6

I wonder if Jill realizes how dumb she's making herself look by constantly saying she can't figure out how to cook for two people. Here's a clue hon, put two chicken breasts in the pan instead of twenty. I don't usually cook with Minute Rice, but don't you just use equal parts rice and water? For chrissakes, Jill was acting like she needed the help of NASA scientists to cook three damn cups of rice. And don't get me started on Jana's horrific knife skills.

I noticed a lot of improper technique during the workout session. Hopefully none of them get injured. The Duggars are classic skinny-fat. Jason had zero muscle tone. IIRC the bar with no weights on it is only 45 lbs. He could barely do two bench presses before his arms were shaking.

• Love 8

I wonder if Jill realizes how dumb she's making herself look by constantly saying she can't figure out how to cook for two people. Here's a clue hon, put two chicken breasts in the pan instead of twenty. I don't usually cook with Minute Rice, but don't you just use equal parts rice and water? For chrissakes, Jill was acting like she needed the help of NASA scientists to cook three damn cups of rice. And don't get me started on Jana's horrific knife skills.

I thought these girls were all supposed to be trained from birth to be Susie Homemakers? You have to have your sister come over to help you make  rice from a box? Are they stupid AND co-dependent? 

It's not hard to cook for two instead of twenty. Make less food. If you somehow end up with extra food, that's what normal people put in containers, refrigerate and reheat as leftovers. Say it with me LEFT OV ERS. The End.

• Love 12

RazzleberryPie, it beats the hell out of me. When you've been cooking long enough you can generally eyeball your measurements, especially for sauteeing. Jill and Jana looked like two girls in a seventh grade home-ec class.

• Love 4

I wasn't at all grossed out at Jill and Derrick eating with their hands. Then again, my dad's side of the family is Indian/African. They come from Canada and stay with him at least 2 months a year. That's how they eat, and how we eat when they are here. It's not a problem. At all. And, I'm glad Jill and Derrick are respectful of this cultural practice.

• Love 11

Holy shit!! Duggar girls wearing sneakers to push Bin's shit heap. I thought they could do anything in flip flops. Really branching out. But, they still wore skirts, so I guess all is well.

"Jill and Jana looked like two girls in a seventh grade home-ec class."

This is an insult to seventh-graders across the nation.

Edited by MarkySnark
  • Love 2

I kind of  liked the segments where they are working out. Especially in comparison with how this show usually is.

I'd put money on it that Nepal has more than one traditional dish. They may have only one signature dish, but I'm sure without knowing too much about Nepal that there is a whole regional/national cuisine. 

Jordyn should have had her own talking segment without Josie or with Justin. 

I feel like they going faster through the months to speed up and catch the present. It seemed like Jill's wedding was dragged out more.

Now Jessa's wedding seems to be airing in two weeks. Two weeks from Tuesday the 10th is Tuesday the 24th, Jill's due date. They're airing the wedding on the day Jill's baby is due. 

(I guess the thinking people will hear about the birth of the baby (perhaps) and tune in and be treated to an exciting wedding episode and they'll get huge ratings.) 

• Love 1

I kind of liked the segments where they are working out. Especially in comparison with how this show usually is.

I'd put money on it that Nepal has more than one traditional dish. They may have only one signature dish, but I'm sure without knowing too much about Nepal that there is a whole regional/national cuisine.

Jordyn should have had her own talking segment without Josie or with Justin.

I feel like they going faster through the months to speed up and catch the present. It seemed like Jill's wedding was dragged out more.

Now Jessa's wedding seems to be airing in two weeks. Two weeks from Tuesday the 10th is Tuesday the 24th, Jill's due date. They're airing the wedding on the day Jill's baby is due.

(I guess the thinking people will hear about the birth of the baby (perhaps) and tune in and be treated to an exciting wedding episode and they'll get huge ratings.)

I was thinking the same thing tonight. Jessa is getting j***** with air time. Edited by TheDoctorsCompanio
  • Love 1

I am officially appalled.  Rice and lentils are two dishes I can toss together while almost asleep.  Jill tried to make it sound like some complicated hours long production.  She used instant rice on top of that.  Those poor kids have learned almost zero about cooking.  

• Love 4

The placement of Jessa's head and Ben's crotch during the bench presses was a total Nike moment. I can't believe they let that happen!

I've noticed that Ben/Jessa's chaperone rules seem to be a little more lax than Dill's were. Maybe it's just because they aren't mentioning the word chaperone every other sentence.

I don't blame Jana and Jill for making the cooking more complicated than it needed to be. It's not like they were cooking actual meals and learning real recipes growing up. They started very young and probably did what they needed to do in order to feed all of those people. Everything they cook is probably second nature at this point and so it's harder to eyeball something and figure out how much two people would eat. I grew up making meals for my family of 6 and when I went to college, I was the most popular girl in my dorm because I always made way too much. I don't do recipes! I feel like I give them a lot of passes lately, but I grew up like a liberal Duggar and have had to make similar adjustments.

• Love 2

Why, oh why, oh why do they insist on referring to derekdillard and benseewald by their whole name every.single.time? I realize I'm a heathen, but back in the day when I was dating/engaged to the dashing Mr. Turquoise, I would introduce him as "This is my boyfriend/fiance <first name>", because no one in their right mind was going to refer to him as <first name> Turquoise for all eternity. Hmmm, maybe I just answered my own question...

• Love 2

When Derick complimented the food he said "Good job Jill" even though it was obvious both Jill and Jana prepared the mill. I wonder if he neglected to thank Jana because everyone else always neglects to thank Jana or he was annoyed to come home from work and find yet another Duggar sibling in his home.

• Love 3

The placement of Jessa's head and Ben's crotch during the bench presses was a total Nike moment. I can't believe they let that happen!

That was the first thing I noticed when she got on that bench and it seems like he was standing a lot closer to her than when he was coaching the others.  Of course the two younger "chaparones" probabaly had no idea there's anything sexual in crotch meets head, I doubt they even have a clear idea what missionary position is and as long as there wasn't any forbidden kissing everything's fine.

Jessa really has no F#@*''s left to give does she?  Last week walking around the florist arms crossed and refusing to even try and name flowers and this week it's we'll register for whatever.  I think Jill and Derrick would have spent 20 minutes deciding over the dishes with flowers or the dishes with kittens..........Jessa's just like dishes yeah we need those here's a set scan.  Her whole attitude is get this over with and I'm outta this house.

I couldn't tell for sure but when Jana walked in to the house did she say hi "DILL"  ?

Jill was confused as to how to cook such a small portion of rice... Any box of instant rice I have seen has a chart either on the side or back that says how much rice and water you need for X amount of servings. The SODRT may have taught her about bankruptcy law, but it sure skimped on common sense.

• Love 6

Let me see if I understand this.  Jessa and Ben planned to serve their wedding guests a cookie and warm kool-aid in a plastic cup, but had the audacity to register for hundreds of expensive gifts including items for their siblings?!  I am floored.  Talk about being greedy and selfish. 

• Love 13

I am officially appalled.  Rice and lentils are two dishes I can toss together while almost asleep.  Jill tried to make it sound like some complicated hours long production.  She used instant rice on top of that.  Those poor kids have learned almost zero about cooking.  

I think the reason for their ignorance is that cooking at the Duggars means opening cans and boxes.

• Love 2

I'm Italian and lentils and rice was a dish my mother made almost weekly...it's not rocket science to boil and simmer lentils, Jill...Also, I'm surprised this family isn't used to pouring gallons of lentil soup in their bowls with a piece of bread for dinner as it is not only rich in iron, but very cheap, and doesn't spoil in the bag on the shelf. Jill, actually has NO cooking skills that I am aware of or have seen so far...she is good at assembling pre-prepared ingredients in a big pan or pot, that's it.

Also what was shocking to me, was that Jill DIDN'T have to pick derickdillard up from work??? When did that happen? I thought she was glued to the drivers' seat waiting for his all holy lunch hours and dismissal time? I think it wasn't a work day at all, but a set up TV scene. Derick also, didn't have his work lariat around his neck which he seems to wear in the car when Jilly picks him up..totally a set up. I noticed, too, that he didn't thank Jana, yet again, for her work. I'm sure she did most of the cooking and clean up too.

Nothing wrong with using a spoon and fork to eat.. I was surprised that Jill opted to "be like derickdillard" in all ways, and use her fingers to eat...so not like her. These girls are like chamelions with their MAN...please him and bend your own rules when applicable, but be inflexible in letting his family in the "inner circle"..

Also, quite tired of Jill's incessant giggling. Quit it, girl, and grow UP...NOW...you are an adult for quite some time. No reason, also that Jill needed Jana to help her with that meal; the kitchen was a mess and they used a separate pot/pan for everything. I don't think that was necessary as I have prepared meals in which you can improvise and use less....

Oh yes, another segment with thedashingbenseewald;;;; what the heck was that guy thinking??? Scanning TOYS at the store for when the siblings come to visit? AS WEDDING GIFTS? Where are their brains...in the seat of their pants? Candy??? As bitchy as Jessa is, does she actually know what she is doing in marrying this kid? Both Jessa and Ben are NOT ready to marry,,,ANYONE.  I am sorry that Ben has allergies, as they can be a miserable thing, so I don't snark the kid for having red eyes, nasally speech or seemingly unaware if it's from allergy medication...I feel sorry that he has to deal with such discomfort..can't be fun for anyone. However, I can snark him for scanning silly things..I also think if someone is asking for high end, expensive wedding gifts, the reception/reciprocation from the bride and groom should match the types of gifts asked for...that's just my opinion..I think they could have and should have done much better with what they "served" at the parking lot reception.

Having said that,, that wedding planner lady,, annoys the heck out of me...she is no professional wedding planner, and who is taking care of her 4 small children when she is playing "professional woman of today"?

• Love 5

Race to the Altar? From Jessa's demeanor, I think it would be more like a turtle race to the altar. That girl shows absolutely NO interest in her own wedding...strange since she professes to be so much in love with thedashingbenseewald...strange.

• Love 1

If only I could be blessed with Jilly's kitchen or at least that island. I wasn't watching closely (who can blame me?) at the beginning of the cooking part & thought she was making a Nepali dinner for all the Duggars (ala Anna) not just for Derick & that was what all the fuss was about. I agree with the poster who said the girls can't handle following a recipe. Good grief, Jilly has all the time in the world to have read & gone over the recipe ahead of time. Isn't that what most people do, esp for a complicated or new recipe? She looked more overwhelmed than the people on the cooking shows do that have to cook a three course meal in an hour. Jana did not look happy being there & at times, she was the only one doing anything. What a shame that Jana couldn't have had a friend (male or female) join her in the meal.

• Love 1

I think Ben is in desperate need of a visit to an ENT. I suffered from severe allergies and chronic sore throats as a kid and I ended up having my tonsils and adenoids removed when I was ten. I never had any problems since.

Regarding Jessa's registry, I can't imagine how much useless crap she ended up with because she didn't put any real thought into what she'd need.

Okay, did I really see JB preparing to show Jessa and Ben the correct way to kiss on the previews? Eeeeeeewwwww

For all their modesty it seems like all they think about is sex. I'm so grossed out! Yuck! Edited by HandBasket
  • Love 6

Let me see if I understand this. Jessa and Ben planned to serve their wedding guests a cookie and warm kool-aid in a plastic cup, but had the audacity to register for hundreds of expensive gifts including items for their siblings?! I am floored. Talk about being greedy and selfish.

That's why they have these big weddings more gifts. It's very rude and disrespectful to their guest. Food doesn't cost that much. At least get a decent meal

For all their modesty it seems like all they think about is sex. I'm so grossed out! Yuck!

Too bad Michelle didn't get pregnant from that kiss

• Love 1

I think Ben is in desperate need of a visit to an ENT. I suffered from severe allergies and chronic sore throats as a kid and I ended up having my tonsils and adenoids removed when I was ten. I never had any problems since.

Regarding Jessa's registry, I can't imagine how much useless crap she ended up with because she didn't put any real thought into what she'd need.

Yes, there must have been a lot of useless crap. Now I'm guessing that was always part of the plan, because it sounds very Boob-ish to me - "register for anything - later we'll exchange everything we can't use for cash or credit..."

• Love 1

I read up on Nepaninze food and aside from the instant rice, it appeared that they did a decent job recreating a decent meal. I was proud of Jana for enjoying the different flavors.

It's Nepalese. And having spent a year in that part of the world myself, eating the same diet as Derick, I can tell you he wasn't impressed with the rice. Just silly, when all she needed to do was buy a bag of Jasmine or Basmati rice and for every cup of rice she adds 1. 33 cups of water and brings it to boil then let's it simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Simple.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 2

Is the first name/last name thing maybe a Southern thing? If it's not, people from the South let me know. (I'm Aussie, so have no idea). Just wondering because I watch Hart of Dixie, set in Alabama, and they so often have characters who have known each other for years, and in some cases are dating, calling each other by their full names, especially George Tucker. It would drive me nuts if people I knew went around using my full name all the time.

• Love 3

Don't send me to the prayer closet for saying this, but could Ben's red eyes and allergies be the result of snorting something, like caffeine powder? I almost wonder if the whole Binessa wedding fiasco is a fu to Jim Bob.

Edited by NJRach

I wasn't at all grossed out at Jill and Derrick eating with their hands. Then again, my dad's side of the family is Indian/African. They come from Canada and stay with him at least 2 months a year. That's how they eat, and how we eat when they are here. It's not a problem. At all. And, I'm glad Jill and Derrick are respectful of this cultural practice.

Don't think it's any worse than eating Asian food with chopsticks.

It bothers me to no end how Ben thinks everything is a free for all. Just the registering at WalMart for anything and everything. His "I'm inviting anybody and everybody. Anybody I've ever passed on a street!"  Obviously, he doesn't know the value of a buck and will never know what it's like to struggle to pay $50 (give or take) a head like most people. None of these kids have to work (except Derick...and if you consider Josh), they just get to hang out day in and day out. Ben's a freeloading piece of shit.

Plus, the way they prove points is just ridiculous and they don't think things through or think of the real reason. Like before engagement, the whole "can't hold hands" rule extended even during prayer. But looking at Joy with track pants under her skirt while working out. What's the prove? Is that lady like? Modest? God these people.

• Love 3

Is the first name/last name thing maybe a Southern thing? If it's not, people from the South let me know. (I'm Aussie, so have no idea). Just wondering because I watch Hart of Dixie, set in Alabama, and they so often have characters who have known each other for years, and in some cases are dating, calling each other by their full names, especially George Tucker. It would drive me nuts if people I knew went around using my full name all the time.

I've not noticed this being a "thing" specific to Southern states, though others' observations may vary. Funnily enough, my husband and I call both our sons-in-law by Firstname-Lastname quite a bit, but we do it in a joking way . . . kind of implying that they're "new" or that we haven't fully accepted them yet. (We're crazy about both of them, and they know it.)

I wonder if the emphasis on the Ben and Derick's last names is a patriarchy thing . . . to emphasize that the girls will accept the husband's name and headship. I wasn't watching much back when Anna and Josh were courting . . . was there this much emphasis on her last name before she married?

Edited by Portia

I've lived in the South for 12 years now and the only thing I have noticed, is that people call people by their first & last name when introducing them for the first time to someone, whereas I grew up with people usually making introductions by their first name only.