Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E06: Michelle's High School Reunion

I've doubted the bulimia story since it first came out.  Eating disorders are extremely difficult to treat.  I'm in the she made herself throw up two or three times and did some dieting camp. Decades later when eating disorders are a big deal she has once again IMO exaggerated something.   

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 8

I didn't read her book, but on the show Michelle said she had low self-worth and started making herself sick after meals. On the show at least, she didn't say she had bulimia. It may not have progressed that far. Of course, I don't know what it was really like. But, on this episode, she did not say she had bulimia, I do not think.

• Love 1

It was in the daughters' book that she had shared the story of having bulimia with them and how Jim Bob had prayed with her or something like that and that lead her to healing or recovery.  I'm sure people with eating disorders the world over wish it could be that simple.  

• Love 9

I'm sure they filmed that exercise gym segment when it was mostly closed. Again, I think Michelle looked ridiculous in that skirt over her leggings. I'm sure Cindy shakes her head upon the site of Michelle...Has anyone noticed Michelle's choice of words and the perspective she has taken when describing her friendship and relationship with her BEST friend, Cindy? She stated a few times how "Cindy loves HER and has HER back"....Michelle never stated once that she, too loved Cindy as her best and lifelong friend and has CINDY'S back too...Just a notice. It's all about what Michelle receives and obviously she gives nothing in return. Also, Michelle was described by her high school friends as "being able to play with the boys"...something she denies her own daughters in this world...being able to compete in a professional career and do their best...so many fences and obstacles placed in front of her daughters, she should be ashamed of herself.

Also, NOT ever a mention about Jim Bob's friends? Does he have at least one friend from his childhood/teen years that he has kept up with? Doesn't his Christian school have reunions too? I don't think that man has one friend of his own from HIS life..just acquaintances from the Gothard years and Gil Bates who he met through that organization as an adult...That man is a lonely individual and also has severed himself from his own life..Why is Cindy allowed to continue to be Michelle's friend? They obviously can't really do anything together as anything would be considered sinful for Michelle..Cindy doesn't live that far away, yet they see each other only twice a year and are "best friends"?

I also think that these two episodes last night had way too much content; jumped from one thing to another and did none of them well.

• Love 6

An Arkansas Razorbacks T-shirt with...pearls. Wow, some style there, wedding coordinator!

Sad that JoyAnna thinks MEchelle was "wild" in high school. Her head would explode if she was ever exposed to truly wild behavior.

That's the first thing I noticed about Sierra (?name) the wedding planner, was the pearls with the T-shirt. I don't care how well you know the family, you could have chosen a better shirt. You are there in a professional capacity. It looks like she's wearing a similar outfit in the previews.

Was that a real class reunion? How big was her class? I would have expected more people to be there. It looked like only 20 people (guests included) -- just a group of friends getting together for lunch. Maybe the cameras scared them away or maybe that's all the people TLC could round up from her class for a so called "reunion". I've never been to any of my mine but on the invitations that I received they do a more formal dinner one night (a Friday or Saturday) & then a picnic the following day for the families.

• Love 1

I'm four years older than Michelle, and after busting my heinie on the treadmill this morning, I can tell you with certainty that what she did in her skirt and leggings was not working out. Those little arm-circle things and 3-pound hand weights? Jana burns more calories getting Josie dressed in the mornings. 

And the hair ... the hair. Full disclosure: I had bad '80s hair for way too long. My hair is thick and curly like Michelle's, and I hung on to my unflattering style because it worked well with my hair and I didn't really know anything else to do with it. Two years ago, I finally had the courage to lose about 10 inches and stop "poofing" it, and honestly, the difference has been life-changing. Michelle is adding years to her look. And why wouldn't she pull her hair back for the gym? What a god-awful, sweat-soaked mess that would be. 

I'd love to know what the deal is with Grandma wearing skirts. In the earlier seasons, she didn't. Do you think that was one of the caveats of moving in with Boob and Michelle -- she HAS to wear them because she's a role model or whatever? I'd love to see her throw on a pair of pants and meet Amy at the local watering hole. After all the laundry's done, of course. 

Edited by Literata
  • Love 5

J'Chelle was such a rebel before  she "Found God". No, She was a normal teenager, and did typical things.  It's infuriating that she does not let her children have the same experiences. Also, I wonder what her classmates think of her after all this time. What has she done since high school? Popped out 19 blessings. And not much else.

J'Chelle has to work out alone. God forbid her knees are shown, or she sees someone without a shirt on.

I'm dying to type in "Romy and..." right before the title of "Michelle's High School Reunion".

Sorry, I'll show myself out. I'll be in 1997 if anyone wants to join me.

Michelle's hair will gladly join you in 1997.

• Love 2

I didn't go to my high school reunion but from what I gleaned off of Facebook info and pictures there was a weekend full of activities. Friday night football game with alumni present, luncheons, etc, and then one night was a party night with loud music, dancing and food. I think Michelle just attended one of probably many festivities. And only because TLC probably made her.

Th best friend bugged me. Have we seen her before? The entire convo at the gym seemed like a personal trainer/student as opposed to a best friend is a personal trainer/best friend relationship. Also, Michelle doesn't excercise. No way in hell I believe that, she may walk or have a machine at home but the frequency in which that happens is probably very little.

The best friend saying she admired Michelle and how she was a super mom because she works out every morning. Haha. Like I said, I don't believe she does work out and if she did in fact work out every morning it's only because someone else does the child rearing for her. I have two kids and the only reason I get a quality work out in every day is because I send them to half day preschool. Also, if she was as hands on with her kids as she leads us to believe I think she would naturally be a lot thinner than she is. She'd have some killer arm muscles at the very least.

I don't know. I think she is a lazy, crappy mom so I am a bit jaded in my opinion.

• Love 7

That's the first thing I noticed about Sierra (?name) the wedding planner, was the pearls with the T-shirt. I don't care how well you know the family, you could have chosen a better shirt. You are there in a professional capacity. It looks like she's wearing a similar outfit in the previews.

Was that a real class reunion? How big was her class? I would have expected more people to be there. It looked like only 20 people (guests included) -- just a group of friends getting together for lunch. Maybe the cameras scared them away or maybe that's all the people TLC could round up from her class for a so called "reunion". I've never been to any of my mine but on the invitations that I received they do a more formal dinner one night (a Friday or Saturday) & then a picnic the following day for the families.

Well, it depends on where you went to school. I only had 12 in my graduating class. Thought nothing of it.

• Love 1

YES, Mechelle can work out every damn day because she has daughters/servants to take care of the kids in the morning!  I have never had that luxury.  I, in my limited thinking, let my oldest (a daughter) get herself breakfast, dressed, and ready for school while I took care of the 2 youngers.  Never occurred to me to tell her to get them dressed, feed them, comb their hair, and clean up after said meal while I work out.  You know, MEchelle, chasing your own kids up and down those stairs in a form of exercise too.  Bending over and picking out clothes from the floor of the closet and wrangling Josie into them is also exercise.  I could go on, but why bother.

• Love 12

I couldn't agree more with you guys. The "BF" thinks it's great that Michelle "finds time" to workout everyday with 19 children? I find that appalling. It just proves what we all already know; Michelle Duggar does not raise her own children. There's NO WAY she should have time to be working out daily. (Unless it was a part of a family workout time, Maxwell-style. That would make sense.) 

Perspective is such an interesting thing. The "BF" thinks Michelle should be commended for exercising while most of us just see it as more proof of her screwed up priorities and lack of interest in raising her children.

• Love 8

Michelle is rockin the 80's hair tonight. I had the same hairstyle back in the mid 80's. Not a good look on her.

She rocks it every night. And day.

Cindy  "You are the only person I know who has 19 kids and the only one who works out every day." 

She should take Jana, Jinger, Jessa and Joy with her.

I giggled and quietly said, "SLLLAM!" when Cindy said that.

Michelle is adding years to her look. And why wouldn't she pull her hair back for the gym? What a god-awful, sweat-soaked mess that would be. 

Because she might defraud men with the back of her neck.

Did anyone notice when she was ready to go to the reunion she just started towards the door with a walk of an 80 year old woman (her body is in BAD shape after 19 kids I'm afraid) and no kid, nothing in sight but her, herself, and she? Moms are usually carrying out a kid, wrangling up one, etc. It's just her usual walk with her back to the kids expecting an older kid to bring the herd.

And then the classmates/ladies trying to guess her kids names were identical! Those Kate Gosselin ca. 2008 hair-dos!

1997 wouldn't want that hair either. 1987, maybe.

I meant because of the movie. Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion came out in 1997.

• Love 2

I find Joy's comment quite telling about how floored she was in meeting people who knew her mother "before she was her mother"....well, who does she think Grandma Duggar, Deanna, Michelle AND the RUARK family are? It goes to show you just how infrequently she visits and spends any time with her mother's side of the family because they ALL knew Michelle from infancy. It is weird of Joy to react like that also because they LIVE IN THE TOWN she went to school in, in the first place! I would think that in a small rural community like Springdale/Tontitown, they run in to people you "knew when you were young" all the time. It also tells me just how sheltered and segregated these kids are and were from the general population of the community in which they live...anyone else feel similarly?

• Love 9

Th best friend bugged me. Have we seen her before? The entire convo at the gym seemed like a personal trainer/student as opposed to a best friend

Oh yes. I think she's been on a few, mainly when the miracle was in NICU because Cindy lives in Little Rock. Oh and she surprised Michelle during her makeover. She held onto Michelle's pom-poms after all these years. And we've heard the "I've got your back" stories several times. The lady is very pretty. She looks like Lonnie Anderson. And something tells me she’s the kind of person that can’t find a bad thing about anyone, which would explain how she can stand Michelle all these years. I guess she never married or had kids? At least none we’ve heard about. I’d love to find her Facebook or something.

You know, every time Boob and Mullet go anywhere, they walk in places the same way. Michelle kind of in front with Boob kind of pushing the middle of her back. Then he gives this giant wave. And every time I see them do that, I think of Clark and Ellen Griswold when Ellen was dreaming that they were BFF’s with Prince Charles and Princess Diana. They walk into the ball all casual with Clark saying “Chuck! Di!”

Why was I thinking this whole time Michelle grew up in Ohio? Doesn’t her whole family live there?

• Love 3

Jim Bob looked absolutely repulsed to have to face Michelle's high school peers. He was as nervous as a "long-tailed cat in a room filled with rocking chairs"! Was he afraid he would run in to any of Michelle's old boyfriends or dates? Did those guys touch down on her lips first, before he did?

• Love 2

I didn't read her book, but on the show Michelle said she had low self-worth and started making herself sick after meals. On the show at least, she didn't say she had bulimia. It may not have progressed that far. Of course, I don't know what it was really like. But, on this episode, she did not say she had bulimia, I do not think.

Typed in the sarcasm font:  Apparently Mechelle was able to conquer that low self-worth issue of hers...

• Love 1

Was the orange cat shown in the beginning of the show the one in CatGate? Run kitty run!!!

I noticed him at the beginning & thought the same thing. Little did he know what he had coming.....

This sounds kind of petty, but did anyone else notice when they walked into the reunion, one of the boys had on a bubble type winter coat when all the others either had on a light jacket or no jacket? I don't think the weather warranted a winter jacket. (Coming from a mother whose son's winter jacket in high school was a heavier hoodie.) Just seemed out of place, like the Duggars.

ShaNaeNae- you are spot on about the way Boob & MEchelle enter a room & I'm still laughing at the Clark & Ellen Griswold comparison. Gotta love the Griswolds.

• Love 2

Who brings their kids to a high school reunion to eat up all the food?

Greedy selfish people like the Duggars.

I'm surprised JB was able to contain himself. There are people wearing pants and women/men with higher education and experience than him

• Love 4

They have filmed Michelle at home on her elliptical machine, and she wears that god awful long denim skirt, her cotton blouses and sneakers..I guess she doesn't life her legs up in the air when working out...so no need to wear the leggings under her skirt...but oh, yuck, I don't want to think about what is really under Michelle's skirt....!

• Love 1

I didn't watch the episode...started to watch one of the new season episodes, and fell asleep. Anyhow...why on earth would a kid want to go to a parent's HS reunion? My son wouldn't want to go to any HS reunion of mine if you paid him

(Hell, I haven't gone to any of my HS reunions, hated the HS I graduated from...I transferred there in my senior year and didn't know anyone).

I would think she'd bring her husband, not her kids. Pfft.

• Love 2

I am sure the kids were there just in case someone might not have known who the great MEchelle was. Then she could say, "These are just some of my 19 children. And I gave birth to every one of them." And JimBoob could grin like a doofus and say, "We're working hard on #20." And then everyone within earshot could barf.

• Love 9

Horseback riding? There goes the precious hymen.

Just as an aside: That truly is nothing but an old wives' tale and one that I can verify. I rode horses from the time I was ten years old, and nearly every day as a teenager. These horses were running, jumping, and bucking. Sometimes it was show horses where you sit that pounding trot. And it didn't make one bit of difference when the time came.

The hymen is well up inside and is not going to be torn apart by external forces any more than any other internal structure. But oh, yeah, it sure does make a good excuse to explain why maybe it doesn't seem to be there when it should be, especially when horseback riding has long been a sport available to girls. Just don't believe it if a Duggar or anyone tries to use "well, it must have been the horseback riding" as an excuse. Not true!

• Love 2

The hymen is well up inside and is not going to be torn apart by external forces any more than any other internal structure.

I was joking. besides, with riding their bikes indoors (?),  if it were true the hymen would have no chance.

Does anyone think that Michelle is ashamed of her body, that's why they preach long skirts and modesty

At this point in her life - in other words, after having all these kids - it's certainly reasonable to think it plays at least a part. Most women in their late 40s are not showing their bodies the same way they might have in their late 20s. And ALL of them would have had fewer kids than Mechelle. So it's definitely reasonable to think she has more than one motivation behind appearing "modest."

I think Michelle was a normal fun to be around teenager. And she had a sweet hear from that one story where she came to her classmates defense after being bullied. And the story about her and Pat where she just wanted to climb trees but couldn't was funny something I would have done in Jr high. I don't k ow what Gothard or JB drilled in her head. She shouldn't feel guilty about high school.

Years ago almost all high school reunions were like dinner and dancing and just for a couple (husband/wife-girlfriend/boyfriend). In the last decade or so high school reunions have become weekend events with a less formal event for the family. My reunions are like that. My niece has nine children and they all attend the afternoon picnic for her reunion.

I call complete bullshit on the reunion. It just seemed like 20 people in an empty room and MEchelle was talking to only two people while the kids had their free dinner since MEchelle was too busy that day to cook them a proper meal. *insert huge eye roll* I should rewrite my sentence to say since Jana was busy cooking dinner at Jill's house, MEchelle dragged all the kids with so they could get a proper meal. Makes better sense now. lol

• Love 1

I was joking. besides, with riding their bikes indoors (?),  if it were true the hymen would have no chance.

Oh, but there are plenty of folks who really do believe stuff like that. Horseback riding, gymnastics, all kinds of ridiculous stuff. And I'm sure plenty of girls have used that myth to their advantage to explain why it ain't there!

For Michelle, (not other people) I didn't think her work out outfit was too bad.

She has some fugly clothing. The purple t shirt was a nice change from that bright green shirt she always wears. The shirt over the leggings was different for most of us but again, a step up from the black pantyhose and "comfortable" shoes she wears.

• Love 1

I didn't get a real reunion vibe from it at all.  Odd how when Michelle walks in the door there is someone who just happens to be right inside the door for her to shriek and run to hug.  There were no typical decorations or sign in table.  Just a very few people milling around and an almost snack buffet line.  It looked exactly like TLC rented a hotel conference room and set up for filming.  Maybe it was the weekend of the real reunion and they offered a group of the attendees a free "lunch" and filming opportunity or perhaps $50 each to come be filmed with Michelle.

• Love 12

I watched that video segment of Michelle and Cindy working out at they gym. Michelle's long skirt over her leggings, are over-the-top-stupid looking. It cements the impression that she is abusing her own modesty style rules...It draws one to look at her..because she is the only one wearing a flairy long skirt....unsafe to do so..

I'm an Orthodox Jew and I work out in leggings and a skirt. It's perfectly safe. This past year I've done a triathlon, half marathon, and a full marathon in modest clothes. There are plenty of runners and triathletes who are modest for any number of reasons. 

Maybe attending a high school reunion will lead to some reflection and change because it seems like they could all use some.

• Love 4

I wonder if Michelle just doesn't look that good in anything so she doesn't try. Nineteen babies have turned her into a blob.

Just replying to say I love your mutts! I'd kiss 'em if they were here.