Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Forget

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

I think I could tolerate the Rick/Jessie stuff despite my disappointment at the writers not going there with Rick/Michonne if Jessie weren't married.  I just don't have interest in that triangle.   I suppose the writers think it's interesting to have a redux of Rick/Lori/Shane with Rick as Shane, but I'm iffy about it.   I suppose it could be an exploration of how much Rick has changed to the point where he's more like Shane than the Rick he was in Season 1 but  I just have a low tolerance for triangles.  It's one of the most lazy tropes.   How much of a Shane Rick is, is something that can be explored without a stupid triangle. 

It's really bothers me that Rick kept quiet about the W on the zombie forehead.    He saw what the Unfair Wolves did to Noah's community.  He's spoke to Deanna about security but didn't tell her that there is a concrete threat potentially in the vicinity.   Never brought up what happened to Noah's family.  To her threats from humans seem abstract because they have been so sheltered.  She needed to know that a real threat is on the way.  That he's not even talking to his own people about it is problematic.   Does he want the Unfair Wolves to come so that he can show the Alexandrians how weak they are and let him be the big hero?  There's an arrogance building in Rick where he may think anything he does to gain control is okay because he's "saving" them but in the end his help may end up destroying the place.

Carol is absolutely ruthless.  She's right to want weapons, and it was ridiculous how easy it was for someone to break in.  Still her first instinct  seems to go to the most ruthless choice possible when maybe there's another option.   I think deep down Carol fears weakness in herself more than anything and overcompensates.

Aaron is an intriguing character.  I love that he understood how to reach Darryl.  That's a friendship  I could really enjoy.   If Aaron weren't taken, I'd be shipping those two so easy.

• Love 19

Even though I was fairly sure that nothing was going to go down during that party, I was a nervous wreck all the while our guys were in there drinking in that brightly lit house surrounded by the dark, the dead, and (it looks like) the unfair wolves. Are you guys crazy? At least stay sober!! Obviously, I would be no fun at all come the ZA.

• Love 10
(edited)

I'll have to watch this episode a few more times before I come to any conclusions as to what it all means.

Starting with...an encore presentation!

Edited by Raven1707

Agreed, but can I please remind people that nobody got laid in this episode. She's married and she hasn't gone to bed with Rick.

I thought it was a great crazy episode...and would someone PLEASE get Abraham a bra? HIs are getting bigger than mine.

I think people are just looking at where it seems to be headed. They even have the husband showing feint signs of being a dick.

• Love 5
(edited)

We've seen like five minutes of them together.

Which has largely been filled with UST and Rick kissing her on the cheek and Jesse holding Judith and being coy but flirty IMO. It's much too fast.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 9
(edited)

No, I don't think so in this case.  I think the kid is clearly going to be upset--he won't be able to hide the terror--and the parents or someone else will notice and question him.  He'll then cave and tell them everything Carol said.

Not until it's too late.    By that time, the walls will be down, and they'll be wandering again. 

The woman who wants a pasta machine, and the one who wants to make prosciutto need to go down first.    Actually, the guy who hit on Sasha can join them.   And Deanna's stupid, self satisfied husband.

Yes, take this shit over.    These ASZhats need to go down, if for nothing else but having a cocktail party.   Fuckers. 

Edited by Mu Shu
  • Love 11

I loved Michonne's DIY job on her windbreaker, to make it fit better.

Oh, I'm glad you mentioned that.  Because I was thinking, girl has style.  Some do, some don't.   She wasn't going to go out there in some weak-ass windbreaker that didn't even fit right and was too constricting.  So style and sense as well.

• Love 5

Didn't they establish earlier in the series that the walkers don't attack animals, just humans?  Or am I remembering that from other zombie movies only?  At one point, I thought there was a dog that could walk freely around the walkers with no trouble.

The horse Rick rode into Atlanta on was eaten by walkers.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't hate Jessie. Jessie doesn't exist. She's a walking, talking cipher. She's basically just a collection of body parts for Rick to notice. 

I hate the idea that in order for Rick to "move on" from Lori, it takes nothing more than a handful of appearances by a non-character that he automatically trusts implicitly with his family and his own safety (letting her come at him with scissors).

I also hate that Rick behaving in an inappropriate way with a married woman, a woman he barely knows, a way that comes across as more than a little predatory and unbalanced to me, is being sold as a "connection." Many, many women have these "connections" with men - it's called feeling unsafe and being treated as property.

It's cheap and it's lazy and the message is scary as hell.

Oh, if she'd been at this point after 6 months on the show it would be one thing, but she's been on for 5 minutes in two episodes. Her lines so far would maybe fill one script page. Carol was a cipher from season one till season 2. Beth was less than a cipher for the first 4 years she was on the show. Michonne was a cipher for a long time. I would say the same for many of the men.

I think it is less realistic when a character shows up with a full backstory and a whole episode to themselves. Not everyone has to join the story the way Gareth did.

As far as "coming at him with scissors", I think we've all (including Rick) seen that little trimmy scissors don't work as a murder weapon.

Let's all take a moment to remember the mod's warning about episode threads are to talk about episodes, without getting into shipping.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 9

Which has largely been filled with UST and Rick kissing her on the cheek and Jesse holding Judith and being coy but flirty IMO. It's much too fast.

I agree. Too quick, too forced, too fake, and I actually did like Lori (ducks from the tomatoes), so I want her predecessor to be not a random married woman who hasn't fought by his side and won over Coral before winning over Rick.

I don't think Coral will like her. 

• Love 3

Deanna has presidential aspirations. Unfortunately for her no matter how she tries to rebuild civilization it will never be the way it was (thank God because our government is fucked up).

• Love 5

Didn't they establish earlier in the series that the walkers don't attack animals, just humans?  Or am I remembering that from other zombie movies only?  At one point, I thought there was a dog that could walk freely around the walkers with no trouble.

The dog was in the remake of Dawn of the Dead.  

Carol can make cookies and flowers scary.   Although snoopy greedy kid kinda had it coming. 

While I wasn't happy that they killed another horse, I thought that the shot to kill him didn't seem accurate if he was aiming at the head.  There's a pretty specific way to kill a horse with a head shot since they have very small brains. 

• Love 7
No, I don't think so in this case.  I think the kid is clearly going to be upset--he won't be able to hide the terror--and the parents or someone else will notice and question him.  He'll then cave and tell them everything Carol said.

I agree. If someone told my kid that, the first he would do is come and tell his father and I, because he'd believe we could keep him safe. And I think it would be much worse to say he saw in the guns than telling people she's threatening to leave him to the walkers. 

This is another one of those situations like Shane and Otis at the school. It just really pisses me off how little forethought went into it. She absolutely needed a lookout! Someone should have been hanging around outside to distract and divert anyone who came by. They knew it couldn't be Rick because he would be too missed, and they couldn't use Daryl because people are watching him. So you couldn't let ONE MORE person in the group in on your plan? You can trust your damn group. Use Abraham or Rosita. I guarantee they'd be down. 

• Love 16

This is all just real funny to me. You would think she went down on the guy or something. Never have I seen a kiss on the cheek be almost compared to a extramarital affair.

• Love 14

Yep, she's the new Lori.

Look, we barley know Jesse. From what I have seen, she seems to be a kind a person. Rick has felt comfortable around her. I also think he's starting to fall in love with the idea of starting over all the way. Even if it is rash. But, in reality, I'm sure he's wanted this for his kids for a long time. The man has had a long time alone. Him seeking comfort in another woman isn't this huge issue for me. It's natural. I would like to get to know Jesse and see how this whole thing grows before I run all over it.

I don't know what is going through Rick's head. But, nobody does. It's a little scary seeing as his mindset seems to be a little off. But, just saying he's making his property is the leap of all leaps. We've seen like five minutes of them together.

The problem with saying "She's the new Lori" is that Lori was a horribly written character. I thought the fan hate for her was OTT, but there was a reason a lot of fans hated her, and it wasn't just because she was a woman. I think someone at the show once said Lori was written in a way that would get reactions out of viewers and cause controversy. This meant unbelievably destructive writing choices like having her encourage Rick to kill Shane, only to treat him like garbage when he actually did. So what does "new Lori" mean in this case? Does it mean a woman who is hated by a lot of fans? Or does it mean a woman who has no voice other than what will push story for the male characters? 

I don't think Rick wanted an insta-wife or mother for his children. If he did, he could have found one at the prison, especially since he was trying to settle down to give Carl a better life. He wanted his kids to be safe. Putting them in the hands of a married woman, one whose husband is not exactly welcoming, is not a way to help his children.

If, after 5 minutes, Talking Dead can go on about the amazing connection between Rick and Jessie, then I have to go with my own gut about this wonderful love story - and to me it is a man who acts like a predator, has no boundaries, and is putting his family in danger because of a woman whose sole character traits are that she has blonde hair and Rick really, really likes her.

• Love 10

This is another one of those situations like Shane and Otis at the school. It just really pisses me off how little forethought went into it. She absolutely needed a lookout! Someone should have been hanging around outside to distract and divert anyone who came by. They knew it couldn't be Rick because he would be too missed, and they couldn't use Daryl because people are watching him. So you couldn't let ONE MORE person in the group in on your plan? You can trust your damn group. Use Abraham or Rosita. I guarantee they'd be down. 

This, 100%.  I think maybe our group is a little too confident in themselves, a little too sure that the Alexandria SZers are no problem.  Because even if that were true, they should have been thinking about a random passer-by.  It's not like everyone in the community went to the party.

• Love 6

The problem with saying "She's the new Lori" is that Lori was a horribly written character. I thought the fan hate for her was OTT, but there was a reason a lot of fans hated her, and it wasn't just because she was a woman. I think someone at the show once said Lori was written in a way that would get reactions out of viewers and cause controversy. This meant unbelievably destructive writing choices like having her encourage Rick to kill Shane, only to treat him like garbage when he actually did. So what does "new Lori" mean in this case? Does it mean a woman who is hated by a lot of fans? Or does it mean a woman who has no voice other than what will push story for the male characters? 

I don't think Rick wanted an insta-wife or mother for his children. If he did, he could have found one at the prison, especially since he was trying to settle down to give Carl a better life. He wanted his kids to be safe. Putting them in the hands of a married woman, one whose husband is not exactly welcoming, is not a way to help his children.

If, after 5 minutes, Talking Dead can go on about the amazing connection between Rick and Jessie, then I have to go with my own gut about this wonderful love story - and to me it is a man who acts like a predator, has no boundaries, and is putting his family in danger because of a woman whose sole character traits are that she has blonde hair and Rick really, really likes her.

Well, I continue to wait and see. I've seen nothing that would lead me to have the level the hate this storyline has gotten with it barely starting. Just not that serious to me. I love the show but damn.

• Love 10

This is all just real funny to me. You would think she went down on the guy or something. Never have I seen a kiss on the cheek be almost compared to a extramarital affair.

My issues are with what they are setting up for Rick's characterization. They making him much too Shane-like. It wouldn't matter which woman it was because it's all happening way too fast. It's making Rick look foolish, predatory, and kind of gross.  

• Love 10

Dear Glenn:

You were wrong.  I *have* been out there with you too long.  The only reason I had for Carol not killing that kid is that it would cast suspicion on the group and she didn't have a place to hide the body.  I wasn't having a problem with it otherwise because of the importance I place on protecting the group.

I'd ask you to be my voice of moral authority, but I don't want to get you killed.  

Thanks, Bad Example

• Love 8
(edited)

Well, I don't want that necessarily because some of our main group would probably be lost if it happens but I definitely think they are living in la-la land.  Which maybe is understandable if they've been in a place of relatively safety all this time but what's annoying about it is they come off kind of smug and dismissive of what CDB has been through.  Oh we've all had bad experiences, we've all lost, blah blah.  Really?  Bet you didn't come within seconds of having your throat slit by cannibals so they could drain your blood and eat you for dinner.   And Deanna, definitely a politician dreaming of the new society she's going to make and demanding that everyone else pledge allegiance.

I couldn't beleive the talk about "I see commerce and industry" in their future. They don't even have a pea patch.

I think some of these people are heavy drinkers.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 17

Oh, if she'd been at this point after 6 months on the show it would be one thing, but she's been on for 5 minutes in two episodes. Her lines so far would maybe fill one script page. Carol was a cipher from season one till season 2. Beth was less than a cipher for the first 4 years she was on the show. Michonne was a cipher for a long time. I would say the same for many of the men.

I think it is less realistic when a character shows up with a full backstory and a whole episode to themselves. Not everyone has to join the story the way Gareth did.

As far as "coming at him with scissors, I think we've all (including Rick) seen that little trimmy scissors don't work as a murder weapon.

Let's all take a moment to remember the mod's warning about episode threads are to talk about episodes, without getting into shipping.

It's difficult not to talk about shipping when Rick's story in this episode was about this relationship. As long as we talk about the relationship and what went on I don't think we are violating any rules.

Beth tried to stab Dawn when Dawn had body armor on. Scissors to the neck would be much more deadly.

The writing for women was abysmal in the first two seasons, so if you're saying Jessie's writing is on that level, I think it shows part of the problem. 

I actually thought Michonne was decently written from the start, although not as well-written as she should have been. She was brought in as her own character, not as a main character's fantasy woman.

That's the problem for me. If Jessie were like Olivia or Deanna or Aaron or Eric or Deanna's son, I would be fine with watching her develop over time. 

When she's such an integral presence that Rick is obsessed with her almost immediately and her relationship with Rick gets huge coverage on Talking Dead as the first woman he's cared about since Lori, then I need a lot more than a generic woman wandering around while Rick leers and gives her some sweet kisses on the cheek. If that's her purpose they should have just cast Bo Derek and had her run around Alexandria in her dreads and one-piece.

• Love 16

This is another one of those situations like Shane and Otis at the school. It just really pisses me off how little forethought went into it. She absolutely needed a lookout!

Great point ghoulina. It seemed to me like Carol with the kid was pushed OTT for shock value, similar to her killing Karen and David and Tyreese not killing the Terminus guy who threatened Judith.  Just real boundary pushing to get everyone talking, even it it seemed out of character.  

• Love 7
(edited)

Some people just feel like hating Jessie because.

I hate her face.   I hate her hair.  I hate her stupid tattoo.   I hate her snot nosed, creepy little fucker of a kid.   I hate her outsider art/Propaniac/owl statue thingy aka monumental waste of time in a crisis.

It's probably not right, but I hate Jessie.   And her little dog.   Which she may or may not have. 

Edited by Mu Shu
  • Love 11

This, 100%.  I think maybe our group is a little too confident in themselves, a little too sure that the Alexandria SZers are no problem.  Because even if that were true, they should have been thinking about a random passer-by.  It's not like everyone in the community went to the party.

Aaron can hold his own out there as we learned tonight I'm sure there are more of them like him in the compound. They can't all be frat boys. As for the middle aged women, if Carol would have had the constant protection from the beginning like they did, she wouldn't be the psycho that she is, she probably would lead junior league for reals.

• Love 2

I really liked Maggie and Glenn telling Noah that he was family. He's still the newest guy in the group, and it was just a couple of weeks ago that he discovered that his mom and brothers were dead. I wish we could see more of him adjusting to the group, and ASZ as a whole.

I also really like Sasha's scene, and I wish that they showed members of CDB reaching out to her as well. It's been a couple of weeks since she lost her brother, and she lost Bob not long before that. I think her reaction to ASZ and favorite dinners is much more realistic than Daryl's "all it takes is spaghetti and motorcycles and I don't even want a gun" approach.

• Love 20

Well, I continue to wait and see. I've seen nothing that would lead me to have the level the hate this storyline has gotten with it barely starting. Just not that serious to me. I love the show but damn.

I'd be more willing to wait and see if they hadn't advanced the story so much tonight. The way Rick acted tonight is how I would have expected him to react after months or years, not an episode. So that means I have to either see this as a magical love story (as TPTB seem to be selling it), which I can't do, or see Rick as a desperate man who is a danger to women. 

I think the message of this story is dangerous. I think any soft-coating of Rick's behavior by anyone connected to this show is unfortunate and it disturbs me. 

Again this isn't about Jessie for me. My reaction to Jessie is - who? And based on the writing of the last two weeks, that won't change for me anytime soon. 

I don't hate Jessie.

I hate the man I used to call Rick Grimes.

• Love 6

While I wasn't happy that they killed another horse, I thought that the shot to kill him didn't seem accurate if he was aiming at the head.  There's a pretty specific way to kill a horse with a head shot since they have very small brains. 

Although, in fairness, most horses that you would put down by normal rules haven't had their abdomen torn out already by reanimated corpses.

• Love 2

And let us not forget Rick freaking reaching for his gun when he sees the husband (Tobin?). That's territorial and predator-like behavior.

Tobin is the guy who was grinning at Carol.

Yes, Tobin the guy who asked Carol about shooting.

Pete is Jessie's husband.

• Love 1

Not feeling this place or. that flat assed bitch Jessie.

Well, flat-assed bitch is Rick's type, let's not forget.

Okay, WTFucking actual fuck is Rick doing? Has he gone crazy again?

Is the Scarlet Letter filled with some kind of mind control drug? 

Rick better be playing a game with the blonde chick because that pisses me off that Rick kissed Jesse.  Ew ew ew ew.  Rick you dumbass. Michonne is RIGHT THERE. 

Carol was my hero in this episode.  I love her BSC speech to that annoying brat. 

I'm super creeped about Stepfordville

What the fuck was up with Rick at the end? He looked like he wanted to blow that husbands head off.

Man, I don't think our group will ever be "okay". I don't think they will be okay in any sort of "happy" setting. They may damaged with no help of fixing.

I though Abraham was going to drunkenly hit on Michionne which also made me realize that we and the group are in a totally different show right now. Worrying about drunken cheating is not what worry about on this show.

I hate that I'm just a doubtful as the group. People complain about the Walking Dead reusing plotlines but it works so well. After seeing the group be like Charlie Brown trying to kick that football, you can't help but wait for the ball to be moved right now.

Carol was seriously chilling. It's interesting seeing her give no fucks attitude in a setting like this.

I can already feel my eyes hurting from the eye rolling I'm going to do from people whining about the damn horse. Sorry, but I don't care. It's a damn horse. Human beings get ripped apart on this show all the time. The fact that people are so cool with that but will quit a show because of animal death is the dumbest thing to me (sorry animal lovers).

Seems a bit premature, given that there hasn't been a hint of a person saying they'd quit over the horse.  

It seems fairly obvious to me that Rick being  unbalanced is exactly what they're going for.   Rick acting crazy is what they're going for.  Sure, it's not like Rick to steal a man's wife.  It's not like him to practically pull a gun for no reason.  It's not like him to look at this place, possibly the very last chance he has to give his kids something better than eating worms out of a ditch, and be so paranoid about it that he's going to ruin everything.   Carol's trying to blend.  Rick isn't even trying to do that very hard--he's awkward at the party (everyone is--way to make these people complacent, by refusing to try to fit in at all.)

Everyone saying Deanna is rude or condescending to Sasha--I hope you're not the same folks that thought it was great when Michonne was nasty to Sasha, because it was what she needed to be broken out of her PTSD.  Because from where I'm standing, Deanna's the only person who's even given a damn since Michonne's ham-handed attempt, and that may be just what Sasha needs, someone who recognizes something is wrong and makes her angry enough to articulate it instead of holding it in.

• Love 11

The other thing that bothers me with this is that to me Jessie looked somewhat uncomfortable when Rick got in her space and kissed her. Yes, she smiled a bit, but here is this authority figure kissing on her out of nowhere and staring at her like he's going to conduct a ceremony right there and then. If I didn't watch Talking Dead, I would have no idea that I was actually supposed to be cheering for this relationship. I would think this was a frightened woman, possibly already in one bad relationship, who knows how to put on a good face for men who treat her like cattle.

I felt uncomfortable, deeply uncomfortable, with that entire "connection" scene, and with his lips on her. I wanted her to run away.

I'm genuinely shocked if a scene like that is seen as a romantic bond by TPTB. And I don't know what it says about their view of women.

• Love 15

Aaron is an intriguing character.  I love that he understood how to reach Darryl.  That's a friendship  I could really enjoy.   If Aaron weren't taken, I'd be shipping those two so easy.

Aaron had better NOT be fucking with Daryl.  We all know how much acceptance means to Daryl.  

I'm thinking Rick better remember that, too.

• Love 10

I agree. Too quick, too forced, too fake, and I actually did like Lori (ducks from the tomatoes), so I want her predecessor to be not a random married woman who hasn't fought by his side and won over Coral before winning over Rick.

I don't think Coral will like her. 

I like Rick and Michonne together, but IMO that's constricting for writers to put main characters together instead of them having outside love interests from time to time.  And they're "family," not lovers.  Family is forever. 

And while my gut feeling is to agree with your point, I also think people do gravitate toward their opposites.  So, it's really the fact that this woman IS sheltered and untouched from all the vileness he's experienced that attracts him to her, seeking comfort.  And she's attracted to him because duh.  lol 

• Love 4
(edited)

Yes, Tobin the guy who asked Carol about shooting.

Pete is Jessie's husband.

PETE, there it is. Thanks 

Too many new people at once. 

Edited by Zaps325

Well, flat-assed bitch is Rick's type, let's not forget.

Seems a bit premature, given that there hasn't been a hint of a person saying they'd quit over the horse.  

It seems fairly obvious to me that Rick being  unbalanced is exactly what they're going for.   Rick acting crazy is what they're going for.  Sure, it's not like Rick to steal a man's wife.  It's not like him to practically pull a gun for no reason.  It's not like him to look at this place, possibly the very last chance he has to give his kids something better than eating worms out of a ditch, and be so paranoid about it that he's going to ruin everything.   Carol's trying to blend.  Rick isn't even trying to do that very hard--he's awkward at the party (everyone is--way to make these people complacent, by refusing to try to fit in at all.)

Everyone saying Deanna is rude or condescending to Sasha--I hope you're not the same folks that thought it was great when Michonne was nasty to Sasha, because it was what she needed to be broken out of her PTSD.  Because from where I'm standing, Deanna's the only person who's even given a damn since Michonne's ham-handed attempt, and that may be just what Sasha needs, someone who recognizes something is wrong and makes her angry enough to articulate it instead of holding it in.

I didn't get him as totally unbalanced.  He was trying to make points about security to Deanna, about the lookout and a roaming watch along the perimeter.  And he seemed to be reacting to Jesse at the party with her little talk about how he's part of the community now, whatever that blather was, like he wished that was true.  And he seemed reluctant to take the gun when Carol was offering it to him, because his sleeve pulled up and he saw that A the kid had given him.  I didn't think he was contemplating pulling the gun to kill Jesse's husband.  I thought it was more a gesture to himself, reminding himself that his plan is to be ready to take over.  

• Love 4
(edited)

Oh okay. I'll just stick with The Husband, then. ;)

Jessie's husband is Doctor Pete—whom Aaron said could operate on Noah's leg.

Edited to add that the black extra with Tobin is a redshirt. Especially if Morgan shows up.

And Andrew Lincoln looked really short this episode.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 4

I really liked Maggie and Glenn telling Noah that he was family. He's still the newest guy in the group, and it was just a couple of weeks ago that he discovered that his mom and brothers were dead. I wish we could see more of him adjusting to the group, and ASZ as a whole.

I loved that moment, and I wish the script had lingered on it a bit more.

• Love 6