Type keyword(s) to search

Public Service Announcements (Because the More You Know...)

• Start Topic

I hate that commercial because it scares me because I can see that exact same thing happening to me, and I'm not even old.

That's the point of the whole series of commercials, though.  Even though Alzheimer's still has no cure, there are ways to deal with it should it happen.  Two of the key elements are patience and understanding, as demonstrated by the husband, who has undoubtedly gone through this exact situation with his wife many times before.

• Love 3

Of all the anti-smoking ads designed to gross us out and/or scare us, I hate this one the most. It doesn't elicit sympathy for this woman, it just makes her seem annoying and stupid. Her voice is extremely annoying. I do hope her baby is okay, though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qi_JwXTXLA0

Wow, she's astonishingly affect-less when she's supposedly talking to her baby. The impression she gives off is "I'm only doing this PSA because it's part of my community service sentence."

• Love 6

I went looking for this ad because they've been playing it a lot lately, and found this, which is almost 4 minutes long.  The ad they show on TV is only 30 seconds, but that crash is in the short ad, and it's pretty powerful.

• Love 1

Yikes, that version is hard core; the one I've seen has the slow motion of the woman watering her lawn, the boy on the bike, etc. seeing the accident, then going back to the driver talking about the picture she posted and replaying the whole thing.

I text maybe half a dozen times per year, and never while driving because my phone is so old it would take far longer than even the world's greatest moron would spend staring at a screen.  So I'm not the target audience for these things.  But I have to concede the reality is has become commonplace, and not everyone being distracted by their phone is an idiot; neither they nor those around them deserve what can happen from one stupid decision that merely takes a different form from that which I may take.  I hope these PSAs have an effect.

• Love 3

CBS is ruining bacon! This is your skin (slice of bacon), this is your skin in the sun (cut to cooking bacon). Any questions?

YES! Why are you ruining bacon?! And also did you want to be mocked by all of us "this is your brain on drugs" fried egg commercial? Seriously, bacon and eggs PSA.

• Love 2

CBS is ruining bacon! This is your skin (slice of bacon), this is your skin in the sun (cut to cooking bacon). Any questions?

Apparently they're saying that I can have some delicious bacon if I go out in the sun. Mmmm...bacon.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

They played in movie theaters, since the theaters were worried that if cable tv was a thing, people would stop going to movies.

In a way, they were right. Cable, streaming, etc. Even big blockbusters are only in theatres for a few weeks.

• Love 1

In a way, they were right. Cable, streaming, etc. Even big blockbusters are only in theatres for a few weeks.

Well, it's partly the theaters' own fault.  I'd much rather rather stream a movie online for a few bucks than shell out nearly $20.00 for a movie ticket, a drink, and snacks (and that's just for myself -- if I'm taking a date, that's a good $35-40!).

Well, it's partly the theaters' own fault.  I'd much rather rather stream a movie online for a few bucks than shell out nearly $20.00 for a movie ticket, a drink, and snacks (and that's just for myself -- if I'm taking a date, that's a good $35-40!).

Most of the complaints about the movie theater experience are about the other people -- infants, cell phones, texting, talking, etc. Theatre owners can't control people.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Most of the complaints about the movie theater experience are about the other people -- infants, cell phones, texting, talking, etc. Theatre owners can't control people.

More to the point, people can't or won't control themselves. Being polite in public is just too inconvenient for the vast herds of drooling narcissists.
  • Love 15

More to the point, people can't or won't control themselves. Being polite in public is just too inconvenient for the vast herds of drooling narcissists.

OMG, I need 50 thumbs-up for that. It is so true.

• Love 6

Well, it's partly the theaters' own fault.  I'd much rather rather stream a movie online for a few bucks than shell out nearly $20.00 for a movie ticket, a drink, and snacks (and that's just for myself -- if I'm taking a date, that's a good $35-40!).

I hear what really sunk theaters was texting. Before the first showing of the latest blockbuster was finished, movie-goers had already spread the word if it fell short. People in line outside would leave.

• Useful 1

There's a PSA that starts out with a scene that looks straight out of Lord of the Rings. A group of orc like things are about to attack. Then a wind comes along and they are swept away. The camera pulls back and the reveal is a teen puffing on a cigarette and he's CGI inhaling the orcs.

I'm way out of the target demo, but even I know that this ad misses the mark. I guess it's supposed to scare teens, but the orcs? They look kind of cool!

Yeah, it does look like smoking will make one an orc slaying wizard. Maybe their intended message was "Don't be an orc sucker"? Although judging by some of the artwork I see posted on the internet from time to time, there are folks who would want to sign up for that too.

Edited by Sandman87

Simple, yet effective stop texting and driving PSA.

It makes me sad when the lines squiggle and go black.

I'm terrible at guessing the ages of actual children, never mind animated ones, but those kids look like they're about eight years old to me.  So first I was shaking my head at them having cell phones, then I was wondering how they were able to make plans without asking their parents.  Then one got behind the wheel and I realized they were supposed to be teens, but they sure don't look it to me.

• Love 1

Simple, yet effective stop texting and driving PSA.

It makes me sad when the lines squiggle and go black.

Wow. That made me tear up.

I'm terrible at guessing the ages of actual children, never mind animated ones, but those kids look like they're about eight years old to me.  So first I was shaking my head at them having cell phones, then I was wondering how they were able to make plans without asking their parents.  Then one got behind the wheel and I realized they were supposed to be teens, but they sure don't look it to me.

It looks to me like they've been friends since they were little kids. Now they're teenagers.

So they change through the course of it?  That would make sense, and in watching it again I guess I can see some differences in the drawings - their faces look the same, but they do seem to get bigger.  But then what are two kids young enough to be playing in a sandbox doing with cell phones??  Or I guess the video game segment is when they're older than the sandbox segment.  But still younger than an age when they'd have phones.  (Of course, these days, maybe parents hand them one as soon as the cord is cut.)  At any rate, no matter what height, the drawings' faces do not look teenager-y to me ever.

See, this just distracts me from what would otherwise be effective, with the one friend texting "Are you okay?" after the driver is already dead.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I fear that no amount of PSAs will stop people from texting while driving, though.  My new phone has a feature that goes into effect when it connects with my car's Bluetooth and it sends an auto reply message to any text I get while driving. A friend from work texted back "you can't text and drive? Lame." and his attitude ("maybe some people can't handle it, but I can do it just fine") is fairly common.

• Love 1

My new phone has a feature that goes into effect when it connects with my car's Bluetooth and it sends an auto reply message to any text I get while driving. A friend from work texted back "you can't text and drive? Lame."

Yowza. That is not a friend.

Although I love that your phone does that. I wonder if mine does...although then I'd need a car with bluetooth. I want to see an ad for this feature. Although, I suppose that's not sexy enough for car commercials.

• Love 5

A friend from work texted back "you can't text and drive? Lame." and his attitude ("maybe some people can't handle it, but I can do it just fine") is fairly common.

Around here it's generally not a problem because you have ample opportunity to text while stopped at red lights. Occasionally, you'll have someone delay traffic because they were too verbose/slow and couldn't move as soon as the light changed, but that's not a safety issue.

• Love 1

I'll check a text when stopped at a red light but if I need to text back, I park.  I'm too slow on the keyboard and too verbose.   Have had to point out to friends that I can talk hands free but I cannot text hands free so if I'm on my way to meet you and I'm driving, I will not be responding to texts.  They can text if they know I am ferrying other people.  The attitude that you are lame if you cannot text and drive is really scary.  Then again, I live in San Francisco.  So often I seeing people on bikes on busy streets texting.  It's really cool until you run a light, run into a car, fly through the air and land on your face.  

I do think that is an effective ad but the drawings could have been better.  On rewatch I get that they were growing up.  They just look very much the same near the end when they decide to meet.  The one waiting does look more like a teenager when he's leaning against the wall waiting for his friend.  The evolution wasn't clear enough to me until then. 

• Love 2

Around here it's generally not a problem because you have ample opportunity to text while stopped at red lights. Occasionally, you'll have someone delay traffic because they were too verbose/slow and couldn't move as soon as the light changed, but that's not a safety issue.

Are these the people stopped 20-30 feet behind the car in front of them because they are oblivious? And still sitting there long after the light has changed? Granted, it's not a safety issue, but some of us are trying to get to work. Everyone, put down the phone, drive the car. Simple.

• Love 8

Are these the people stopped 20-30 feet behind the car in front of them because they are oblivious? And still sitting there long after the light has changed? Granted, it's not a safety issue, but some of us are trying to get to work.

If you're right behind them, a horn toot works well, but you might give them a neck sprain.

I love that CBS does a "The more you know" with Mark Harmon sensitively discussing Bipolar. Then their soap Y&R has a character diagnosed as Bipolar and they call her "nutbag" or "Psycho" AND an assortment of other charming "Bitches be Crazy" names.

• Love 2

Yowza. That is not a friend.

Although I love that your phone does that. I wonder if mine does...although then I'd need a car with bluetooth. I want to see an ad for this feature. Although, I suppose that's not sexy enough for car commercials.

You might check your phone, too. My phone has a setting where I can put in "driving" mode and it will send a similar response text. I rarely use it, but noticed it when I was playing with features. :) There was an ad a while back with (I think?) Demi Lavato texting some special symbol to "pause" her texting conversation before she got in the car. I thought at the time, "why not just text that you're about to be driving?"'

The latest "truth" PSA is even more of a head-scratcher than usual. They're alerting us to the fact that...tobacco companies make money on the products they sell. Yeah, I kind of had that part figured out from the fact that they're selling products. What's next, the shocking revelation that the tobacco company employees get lunch breaks?

They also get bonus points for insulting the target audience (teen casual smokers) by portraying them as idiots. Yeah, telling a teenager "you're a moron, stop doing that" is a great way to get them to do what you want.

• Love 1

The latest "truth" PSA is even more of a head-scratcher than usual. They're alerting us to the fact that...tobacco companies make money on the products they sell. Yeah, I kind of had that part figured out from the fact that they're selling products. What's next, the shocking revelation that the tobacco company employees get lunch breaks?

They also get bonus points for insulting the target audience (teen casual smokers) by portraying them as idiots. Yeah, telling a teenager "you're a moron, stop doing that" is a great way to get them to do what you want.

That they have mandatory smoke breaks.

What makes you think they want to be successful? It may be a nonprofit organization, but the employees are still getting paid.

This commercial from Argentina is a good one--but sad.  It's about organ donation. I'm kind of glad it's not being aired here in the U.S. (as far as I know).  I don't think I could watch it more than a couple of times.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 5