Type keyword(s) to search

Public Service Announcements (Because the More You Know...)

• Start Topic

So what are some of your favorite PSA's?

I still remember this one. The use of the music was incredible:

And then of course, there was Rachel Leigh Cooke from She's All That rampaging in her kitchen against heroin:

I also remember this one PSA...can't find it, but it was one of those "Above the Influence" ads, and it showed a girl getting stoned and then getting sexually taken advantage of.

• Love 1

"From you, alright?!  I learned it from watching you" will never fail to make me laugh upon remembering it all these years later, which was not at all its intended message.

There were some good ones back in the day - the Brits seemed to do them better - but among modern offerings, I like the "No More" series of PSAs, where celebrities and athletes* highlight the list of excuses we make for ourselves in failing to address domestic violence.

*Yeah, the fact the NFL players are being trotted out to counteract the bad publicity from the League's shameful treatment of the issue is certainly a factor, but I think it's more good than bad.

This one aired with the Saturday morning cartoons on ABC when I was a little kid.  It doesn't get any more 1980's than this.

I never even knew what meth was until this one appeared on TV.

This one aired with the Saturday morning cartoons on ABC when I was a little kid.  It doesn't get any more 1980's than this.

Telling people they have the right to say no means you're also telling them they have the right to say yes.

• Love 1
(edited)

So, did all the others die (except for the kids)? Ironic that li'l miss distracted gets all the attention as she snivels and cries. Honestly? I wanted to smack her. Probably not the reaction they were going for.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 1

Geez. that is one long, depressing PSA. Is there more to it? It seems strange that there was nothing that said "don't text & drive!" or something, how else would people know it's a PSA & not part of a TV show?

I remember that! That damn catchy "you have the rightyightyight to say no! no! the right to say no!" got me grounded for saying no to my parents. Well that and D.A.R.E and Nancy Regan always telling me to say no. Apparently I was a jerk. But it also taught me that hanging out in dark smoky skate parks was safe and drug dealers were selling their stuff from trash can lids.

Scrambled brains had a much bigger impact. But yes, now I would like them with a side of bacon and a cup of coffee.

• Love 1

First time I've seen that.  It's awesome.  Thanks for posting it.

It's funny, but when it first came out, I remember thinking that they must have looked around for the scariest black policeman they could find for this. Now I look at him and he doesn't even look mildly threatening to me, he just looks like some average guy I wouldn't think twice about. I don't know if it's because I've grown up, or if it's because times have changed. 

• Love 3

I don't know if it's because I've grown up, or if it's because times have changed.

Stereotypes live or die on whether they look like they have any truth in them. If they don't seem to, you unconsciously stop giving them any weight.

• Love 3

This one has always stuck with me

On one hand, I totally get that commercial.  On the other hand, no matter what guy they had there looked like, I'd assume that the information on the screen was about him until told otherwise.

• Love 2

Remember Time For Timer?

One thing that's always bugged me about the "Breakfast" one is his dismissive comment "Now, I don't want you to think this is the best way to eat breakfast..." Well, what if you don't care for traditional breakfast foods? The suggestions he makes do seem somewhat nutritious; there's not a donut or Pop-tart in sight.(I like Pop-Tarts as much as anyone, but I don't pretend they're healthy).

As my late husband would've said(TMI warning): "It makes a turd."

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 3
Then we switched from STD to STI.

I'm sort of glad about this change.  I had a colleague who went out on short term disability and people saying she had STD was all sorts of wrong.

• Love 4

True, but I think he's just saying if he'd had a chance to get her to take it more seriously (by giving her a ticket), she might have stopped texting and still been alive. Sometimes teenagers need a metaphorical slap upside the head before they listen. I say that as a former teenager who definitely fit that description.

I ended up liking it, although it's a lot heavy-handed. I was waiting for a literal smack upside the head, but forcing him to watch the destruction works, too. And I liked the little boy at the end.

Has anyone seen the Superbowl anti-domestic violence PSA with the lady who calls 911 and pretends that she is ordering a pizza so that way her sorry excuse for a boryfriend won't know that she's actually calling the police?  This is one of the most powerful PSA's I've seen in a long time.

• Love 2

Has anyone seen the Superbowl anti-domestic violence PSA with the lady who calls 911 and pretends that she is ordering a pizza so that way her sorry excuse for a boyfriend won't know that she's actually calling the police?  This is one of the most powerful PSA's I've seen in a long time.

I heard it was based on a real incident.

It is from a real call, and it speaks well of both parties.  The victim finds a terrific way of summoning help, and the operator - who is statistically likely to deal with prank calls on a regular basis - does a nice job of questioning to determine whether this is real rather than just assuming and dismissing.

Has anyone seen the Superbowl anti-domestic violence PSA with the lady who calls 911 and pretends that she is ordering a pizza so that way her sorry excuse for a boryfriend won't know that she's actually calling the police?  This is one of the most powerful PSA's I've seen in a long time.

I heard it was based on a real incident.

While probably not the story you're thinking of, something like that did happen recently.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-mother-held-hostage-uses-pizza-hut-phone-app-call-n354456

• Love 1