Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OnceSane

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Disneyland has been closed since March. I’m willing to guess it was an old picture she posted?

It was a place called Fun Spot America in Florida. She posted it in her instagram stories with the location.

Eta: this is the pic

 

Edited by howmanywords
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

And this is why cancel culture is ridiculous.  It is not an insane stance to think that people shouldn't protest during a pandemic, no matter the cause.  I'm not saying that you have to agree with that stance.  Just saying that people don't need to get fired over it, or ridiculed over it, or anything else.  Why can't we all just live and let live?

Because in some cases people will actually NOT live?  People want to think the earth is flat, go for it, think the moon is made of cheese, have at it, but excusing/dismissing things like public health/racism/homophobia/sexism, that stuff can be literally lethal.  

There aren't two sides to every story, or at least not two sides deserving of equal respect in every situation.

  • Like 23

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, boes said:

Because in some cases people will actually NOT live?  People want to think the earth is flat, go for it, think the moon is made of cheese, have at it, but excusing/dismissing things like public health/racism/homophobia/sexism, that stuff can be literally lethal.  

I don't think either MR or CB killed anyone.  I must have missed that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

It is not an insane stance to think that people shouldn't protest during a pandemic, no matter the cause. 

Going to an amusement park makes those initial objections look questionable.  Were her initial objections really about spreading the virus?  Does she really feel like going to an amusement park is a better reason to take a risk than protesting police brutality?  Or, as is often the case, did she latch onto something else (in this case, the pandemic) as a reason to voice discomfort about something without exposing (or maybe examining) the real reasons for that discomfort?

Anyway, MR and CB are public on social media and chose to be public about their thoughts. People were public about how they feel about those thoughts.   It's not a new concept--just a new medium. 

And like I said, I don't think their standing will end up changing with those who actually do have power. 

 

 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Going to an amusement park makes those initial objections look questionable.  Were her initial objections really about spreading the virus?  Does she really feel like going to an amusement park is a better reason to take a risk than protesting police brutality?  Or, as is often the case, did she latch onto something else (in this case, the pandemic) as a reason to voice discomfort about something without exposing (or maybe examining) the real reasons for that discomfort?

Anyway, MR and CB are public on social media and chose to be public about their thoughts. People were public about how they feel about those thoughts.   It's not a new concept--just a new medium. 

And like I said, I don't think their standing will end up changing with those who actually do have power. 

 

 

 

4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

 

Anyway, MR and CB are public on social media and chose to be public about their thoughts. People were public about how they feel about those thoughts.   It's not a new concept--just a new medium. 

 

 

It’s amusing that people will make public opinions about controversial topics and be simply aghast that people dare to disagree. Lol Yea, brain surgeons, if you didn’t want to be dragged, try keeping a journal. 

  • Like 11
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Dream Boy said:

 

It’s amusing that people will make public opinions about controversial topics and be simply aghast that people dare to disagree. Lol Yea, brain surgeons, if you didn’t want to be dragged, try keeping a journal. 

Exactly! How about not expressing every thought that comes to mind on social media. If I was an artist, I would use social media to promote my art and nothing else.. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Quote

Fun Spot America in Florida

Yeah those stupid places opened up like a week or two ago. I kept seeing the commercials on TV and thinking 'ummm nope.'

While I can agree in principle that protesting during a pandemic probably isn't the greatest thing to do, sometimes a cause is bigger. Plus from the videos and photos I saw, a lot of those folks were wearing masks. However, to complain about protesters out during a pandemic while one decides to  head to a crappy amusement park? Yeah that is a bad look as far as I'm concerned.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I want some bts footage of them all returning to work lol. Ron, write a Sarah/Eli/Belle/Jennifer story so I can watch that mess on screen!

Even better ,have them trapped together in a cave or debris of a collapsed building  

Share this post


Link to post

...I thought it was the doing of her controlling spurned husband. Wasn't he the one who kept her from returning to work, made her confess to their entire congregation and stipulated her new contract terms, including the Brooks Ban, while also making her into a "devout" Christian?

I heard he threatened to take the kids away and she basically folded, and became RoboMissy to please him.

(Not that it absolves her of everything she's said and done - she still is an adult with her own mind)

 

Plus, there may be other people higher up within Days who share her views and were fine losing Peter altogether in order to keep her.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

...I thought it was the doing of her controlling spurned husband. Wasn't he the one who kept her from returning to work, made her confess to their entire congregation and stipulated her new contract terms, including the Brooks Ban, while also making her into a "devout" Christian?

I heard he threatened to take the kids away and she basically folded, and became RoboMissy to please him.

(Not that it absolves her of everything she's said and done - she still is an adult with her own mind)

If that's the case, it's been what? over 20 years? Time for Missy to stand up to Napoleon. 

The kids are grown, she confessed & humiliated herself, so what's there to lose? A dictator for a husband? And if he can't trust her after all these years, then they don't have any type of real marriage to begin with.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I can't see Melissa Reeves or her husband having the kind of clout to just unilaterally keep whoever that other guy is from returning to the show. Unless maybe someone higher up just really likes her/her husband and so they do what she wants, but I can't really see that. Maybe that Peter actor just doesn't want to come back lol. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Brooks did state during a recent interview - I think on that Days discussion show online - he would love to come back and reprise the role.

I've heard lots of crazy things about the kind of clout soap actors had back in the 90s and the things that they had written into their contracts. Apparently Jensen Buchanan had access to a helicopter to fly her to and from her home while working on Another World in Brooklyn. There was a lot more money in daytime television in the 90s, so if they had a character that was popular and an actress they liked or sympathized with, they might have done something outrageous like ban another actor from working there. Although I would think that Brooks could have easily sued for being blacklisted. It's pretty crazy to think that someone might have it written into their contract that someone else is not allowed to work there. It would be so cool to hear all the true details about this story someday just to separate fact from fiction.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

17 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Brooks did state during a recent interview - I think on that Days discussion show online - he would love to come back and reprise the role.

I've heard lots of crazy things about the kind of clout soap actors had back in the 90s and the things that they had written into their contracts. Apparently Jensen Buchanan had access to a helicopter to fly her to and from her home while working on Another World in Brooklyn. There was a lot more money in daytime television in the 90s, so if they had a character that was popular and an actress they liked or sympathized with, they might have done something outrageous like ban another actor from working there. Although I would think that Brooks could have easily sued for being blacklisted. It's pretty crazy to think that someone might have it written into their contract that someone else is not allowed to work there. It would be so cool to hear all the true details about this story someday just to separate fact from fiction.

As a diehard Jack and Jennifer fan, I gave up my regular viewing after Matthew Ashford left the first time.  I didn’t watch much with Jason Brooks, but did see him later on Baywatch Hawaii (lol!  Jason Momoa was on as well).  But he left a bit after she left.  He wouldn’t have a lawsuit for something that happened after he left and she came back.

Missy wasn’t the only one married, Brooks was too and I believe he’s still with his wife.  

I don’t know if Scott Reeves is the control freak he’s been made out to be.  He’s certainly aged well.  I honestly wish them the best as they’ve been together a hell of a long time.

However, they’re showing themselves to be the worst kind of Christians.  I mean regardless of whether you’re a Christian, Jesus existed and seems to have been a pretty cool/radical guy.  The idea that they cast judgment on others as they do, under the cloak of religion, just seems so contrary to how I was raised as a Christian.   

I remember Jensen Buchanan on Another World.  Multiply her popularity by 1000 and you have Missy Reeves popularity during the first Jack & Jennifer run.

  • Like 4
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

Posts have been hidden for bringing up politics/political parties/political persuasion not directly related to any specific behind-the-scenes statements made after it was asked that be avoided. If a post quoted one of those posts, they've been hidden as well. 

We're going to lock the thread briefly.  Some posts may come back. Others may stay hidden. 

When it comes back, please stick what is actually what is posted behind the scenes while avoiding politics. (Again, hot button issues are okay .) 

A reminder of political rules

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

 

She had quite the party going on. Everyone else was by themselves and JT from Y&R was with his family and noisy kids. LOL!!!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ByaNose said:

She had quite the party going on. Everyone else was by themselves and JT from Y&R was with his family and noisy kids. LOL!!!!

Didn't she though.  So much for social distancing.  

Glad to see her win but I really, really wanted to see Paul Telfer (Xander) and Ari Zucker (Nicole) win an Emmy.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

Yay for Olivia but dang for Ari 😞 What does it take?

19 years? 😉

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, ByaNose said:

She had quite the party going on. 

 

8 hours ago, A.J. said:

Didn't she though.  So much for social distancing.  

I was just assuming those were her parents and siblings who she possibly still lives with or perhaps they all just decided to quarantine together. A lot of families seemed to have done that when this whole thing started.

They all seemed drunk though, which was cracking me up.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

 

I was just assuming those were her parents and siblings who she possibly still lives with or perhaps they all just decided to quarantine together. A lot of families seemed to have done that when this whole thing started.

They all seemed drunk though, which was cracking me up.

If they are her siblings they are all the same age. Her parents were quite busy. LOL!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Yay for Olivia but dang for Ari 😞 What does it take?

 

What was in her reel, I wonder....

The clip they showed of Ari was when Nicole was at the car crash site & she broke down crying about Holly being dead...dramatic scenes.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

If they are her siblings they are all the same age. Her parents were quite busy. LOL!!!!

The one women was definitely her sister. One of the guys could have been her boyfriend and the 2 older ones were almost certainly her parents. It's not ideal, but I'll allow that. I think there were 1 or 2 others there though. I'm not sure if she has any other sibs but honestly I doubt it since she always brings her sister with her to the award shows and that'd be kinda rude if she had other siblings lol.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

The one women was definitely her sister. One of the guys could have been her boyfriend and the 2 older ones were almost certainly her parents. It's not ideal, but I'll allow that. I think there were 1 or 2 others there though. I'm not sure if she has any other sibs but honestly I doubt it since she always brings her sister with her to the award shows and that'd be kinda rude if she had other siblings lol.

Actually, they all looked so young I didn’t noticed anyone old. LOL!!! Maybe, it’s because I’m older than all of them. I think I was more thrown because everyone else was by themselves (less Jason Thompson) and, she was the only one who had a group celebrating. At least, she’ll always remember it. She does the crazy really well on Days.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

15 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

The clip they showed of Ari was when Nicole was at the car crash site & she broke down crying about Holly being dead...dramatic scenes.  

...oh...so the Kristen-as-Nicole fake tears stuff? Interesting choice. Was it that she only had that to choose from given the time frame of eligible material? She only came back last spring, so maybe of the three (?) months of material she had to choose from, that was better than everything else?

Maybe Ari submitted it because, if memory serves, she wasn't aware at the time that she was playing Kristen and therefore acted it all out as she felt Nicole would, making it a real Nicole scene and not a Kristen scene.

....or wasn't she free to submit anything from 2019-March 2020?

Confused.

Share this post


Link to post

This is only acceptable if they're planning to clean house entirely, because IMO he wasn't anywhere near the biggest issue. Firing the gay Co-EP while apparently holding on to the bigoted one (at least from where things stand tonight) is.........uhhhhhhhhhh.........a choice, Days. 🙃 😬

  • Like 2
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, QueenSerena said:

This is only acceptable if they're planning to clean house entirely, because IMO he wasn't anywhere near the biggest issue. Firing the gay Co-EP while apparently holding on to the bigoted one (at least from where things stand tonight) is.........uhhhhhhhhhh.........a choice, Days. 🙃 😬

I put this on the casting thread. Anyway, it’s pretty shocking after 30 years. Also, I’ve seen more pictures of him with cast members at events so I know he was pretty popular (and, good looking) and, well liked. I’m just curious why?!? Did he do something to cause this directly or did the show feel they needed to get rid of him to go in a different direction? I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I put this on the casting thread. Anyway, it’s pretty shocking after 30 years. Also, I’ve seen more pictures of him with cast members at events so I know he was pretty popular (and, good looking) and, well liked. I’m just curious why?!? Did he do something to cause this directly or did the show feel they needed to get rid of him to go in a different direction? I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Oh gosh, sorry about that, I didn't even check over there! I couldn't tell you what happened, the only other thing he's made news for recently was shading the idea of using blow up dolls as shows resume production. He was very popular among the cast at Days. I'm guessing it's a cost-saving move, because he was infinitely more competent at his job than the other Co-EP, Albert Alarr. Alarr is responsible for translating what's written into what's seen on screen, and just for example, Ron had to draw him a diagram of the Mother's Day accident to get him to understand what had happened and how to produce/present it. And there was still so much confusion expressed by viewers, it was that bad.

He's also been responsible for stories involving gay characters getting cut short, their scenes being watered down, episodes involving gay characters not getting submitted for Emmy consideration, as well as the terrible day-to-day production values you see on the show (think lighting, blocking, etc. - he also directs, with equally terrible results). I'm flabbergasted and can only guess that there has to be more action coming, that's how shocking this news is. Edit - I should add some of what Meng has been responsible for. He thought of the DOOL app, the little digital series, I think he was at least partially involved in contract negotiations, and BTS items generally.

Edited by QueenSerena
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, QueenSerena said:

Oh gosh, sorry about that, I didn't even check over there! I couldn't tell you what happened, the only other thing he's made news for recently was shading the idea of using blow up dolls as shows resume production. He was very popular among the cast at Days. I'm guessing it's a cost-saving move, because he was infinitely more competent at his job than the other Co-EP, Albert Alarr. Alarr is responsible for translating what's written into what's seen on screen, and just for example, Ron had to draw him a diagram of the Mother's Day accident to get him to understand what had happened and how to produce/present it. And there was still so much confusion expressed by viewers, it was that bad.

He's also been responsible for stories involving gay characters getting cut short, their scenes being watered down, episodes involving gay characters not getting submitted for Emmy consideration, as well as the terrible day-to-day production values you see on the show (think lighting, blocking, etc. - he also directs, with equally terrible results). I'm flabbergasted and can only guess that there has to be more action coming, that's how shocking this news is. Edit - I should add some of what Meng has been responsible for. He thought of the DOOL app, the little digital series, I think he was at least partially involved in contract negotiations, and BTS items generally.

Yeah, I had heard he was the brains behind the app. I’ve seen it and it’s really layed out well. I never thought of the cost factor. If you cut his salary (which I assume is substantial) it frees up slot of money. The interesting headline is the fired part. Ken Corday is the only one who could fire him, right? SONY? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

11 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Yeah, I had heard he was the brains behind the app. I’ve seen it and it’s really layed out well. I never thought of the cost factor. If you cut his salary (which I assume is substantial) it frees up slot of money. The interesting headline is the fired part. Ken Corday is the only one who could fire him, right? SONY? 

I believe so, yes. He was ultimately employed by Corday Productions. It'll be interesting to see who else might go, because from what I understand the script editor has been there for a very long time, for instance. She happens to be fond of cutting family scenes and interactions. There's a whole list of people responsible for the mess they're in, who are also quite expensive and are possibly about to be out. I feel terribly for anyone who loses their job, especially right now, it's just that there were a lot of names I'd expected to see ahead of Meng's.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, QueenSerena said:

I believe so, yes. He was ultimately employed by Corday Productions. It'll be interesting to see who else might go, because from what I understand the script editor has been there for a very long time, for instance. She happens to be fond of cutting family scenes and interactions. There's a whole list of people responsible for the mess they're in, who are also quite expensive and are possibly about to be out. I feel terribly for anyone who loses their job, especially right now, it's just that there were a lot of names I'd expected to see ahead of Meng's.

In the end that’s why it’s called Show Business. It’s a business and people get cut and/or fired all the time. I did. After, 23 years at my company. Those bastards! LOL!!!!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

 

On 6/26/2020 at 12:35 PM, DisneyBoy said:

Brooks did state during a recent interview - I think on that Days discussion show online - he would love to come back and reprise the role.

I've heard lots of crazy things about the kind of clout soap actors had back in the 90s and the things that they had written into their contracts. Apparently Jensen Buchanan had access to a helicopter to fly her to and from her home while working on Another World in Brooklyn. There was a lot more money in daytime television in the 90s, so if they had a character that was popular and an actress they liked or sympathized with, they might have done something outrageous like ban another actor from working there. Although I would think that Brooks could have easily sued for being blacklisted. It's pretty crazy to think that someone might have it written into their contract that someone else is not allowed to work there. It would be so cool to hear all the true details about this story someday just to separate fact from fiction.

Well what did you expect him to say? I don't want to ever return this would bring up more questions. These people are actors they know how to give a PR response this was one of them. I think it could be both he isn't that interested or desperate to return and the show doesn't want him back either. I liked Peter even Jennifer/Peter but its also an easily forgotten storyline especially when the RL scandal was more memorable than the onscreen relationship was especially when it was mostly recasts by the end. I think Kristen would've long been forgotten had she not been turned into a villain for Jarlena and Eileen give a mesmerizing performance as Kristen during that. Watching old episodes of the other soaps currently airing its amazing how many characters I've forgotten existed over the years a lot of them worked in the era they were in and not much else.

 

As for Greg Meng that is a bit of a shocker but smart they dump this during the holiday weekend so it makes me think that something else is going on behind the scenes.

I personally think the Sept 2021 renewal was the last I mean bad ratings, small budget and this pandemic I'd be real surprised if there's sand left in that hourglass. 

I also think Corday wants out of the soap business otherwise he wouldn't be keeping Ron etc around he's good at getting soaps cancelled.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

54 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Production to resume in September.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/days-of-our-lives-september-production-restart-date-greg-meng-out-1202976808/

This would put them only two months ahead of air dates.

 

Just saw that. They’re good through October with current episodes. If they start filming without any hiccups in September they could go to an almost normal two month ahead taping schedule. I think the actors would like that just for interviews and such. It got to be annoying when they couldn’t recall where they were in story or if they could even talk about it. The nine month ahead while helpful with the pandemic it was just a bad thing for daytime. It will be interesting to see if they keep it down to two months or even a month taping schedule. 

Share this post


Link to post

I could see this not really changing anything with tape to air. I say this because Days looks smart to have taped so far in advance and with talk of second wave of this virus etc they may want to tape to catch up to their old tape to air schedule.

I also could see other soaps doing this as well tbh so they don't have to air reruns.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Days will be available on the Peacock app the day after the show airs.  The app is free, although there is a premium side that requires payments.  I don't think Days is premium.

Apparently the last 99 episodes are going to be available.

Edited by Silver Raven

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Days will be available on the Peacock app the day after the show airs.  The app is free, although there is a premium side that requires payments.  I don't think Days is premium.

Apparently the last 99 episodes are going to be available.

It has been available for a while already on Peacock for Comcast customers. 

But if they wanted value, they should have a random DOOL channel (they have channels) and play old stuff.  (Make it happen since Sony doesn't have a streaming app yet).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Agreed.  I am pretty disappointed that Peacock has the same DOOL inventory that was available on itunes, on demand, and on the NBC app.  I was hoping they would have the entire *season* since the show seems geared to a September schedule.  Plus I missed all of January due to a hospitalization and those episodes are already purged.

Also, I think we are headed to reruns in October.  It seems likely that LA is going to continue to have issues all year.  The Rose Parade for 01-01-21 has already been canceled.  Unless they are going to have ZOOM episodes (which arguably might be fun), I just don't see the show cranking out new episodes six weeks from now.  Plus Corday has publicly said they cannot tape 8 shows a week with the new guidelines.  

And of course, NBC will probably want to rerun 2019 episodes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Modern Family did an entire episode all on Facetime and other social apps but I don't know if Days would be able to do that on a regular basis.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Modern Family did an entire episode all on Facetime and other social apps but I don't know if Days would be able to do that on a regular basis.

All Rise did one too and it was actually really great. But yea, doing one episode like that is a lot different than doing it every day.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

All Rise did one too and it was actually really great. But yea, doing one episode like that is a lot different than doing it every day.

Yeah.  You can come up with an excuse why couples aren't in the same room for a while but there'd be a time limit.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Ken Corday sees the show as a cash cow for him to milk until its down to its bones. It is only when the buzz of complaints rises to a level that is enough to shake him from his golf-playing stupor that he starts pumping a little life into it again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

 With continued budget cuts it cannot afford its own veteran cast members and many behind-the-scenes folks. I dont think the show is even profitable at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size