Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
20 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I agree that Sami/AS is a way more impactful character/actress than the other two but that really wasn't the question here. Why is it ok for her to return despite having other gigs and not be considered a failure but KM/CS or someone who's not nearly as impactful make the occasional appearance and have snide comments of "Oh they don't have better options" despite the fact they actually have other projects beyond Days themselves.

Outside of personal preference there's no difference in the situation was my point.

If we can't make snide comments here, then where can we make them?  I enjoy a little snide with my morning coffee, myself...

As to AS and KM, mileage varies, but AS is a vet, put in her time, respects the genre and seems to return out of affection and respect for the show, crew and cast.

My impression of KM is pretty much that of an entitled actor - and a pretty bad one, at that - who returns because the pickings are slim elsewhere.  Again, nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't engender any affection in me, either. 

Edited by boes
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:30 PM, CanaryFan98 said:

I agree that Sami/AS is a way more impactful character/actress than the other two but that really wasn't the question here. Why is it ok for her to return despite having other gigs and not be considered a failure but KM/CS or someone who's not nearly as impactful make the occasional appearance and have snide comments of "Oh they don't have better options" despite the fact they actually have other projects beyond Days themselves.

Outside of personal preference there's no difference in the situation was my point.

I have no horse in this race, I enjoy both actresses, but the difference really is age/career placement.  When a "young" actor leaves a soap opera it usually is to pursue primetime/movies and move up the ladder career wise.  AS's move to leave Days was a more lateral career move; she is a mother/has a family, wanted to do more producing/directing, and have more control over her projects, and also take somewhat of a break. 

If I can use the analogy of working in an office.  AS is the former Vice president who semi-retired to do other things and occasionally will come into "consult" for her old job.  Kate would be the 20 something great/dependable worker who left the company to pursue greener pastures who will occasionally come back to work on projects because she honestly doesn't have a better offer on the table.

IMO I don't consider either one of these women "losers/failures" for coming back to Days periodically, but I do see that their circumstances are different.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
9 minutes ago, JBC344 said:

I have no horse in this race, I enjoy both actresses, but the difference really is age/career placement.  When a "young" actor leaves a soap opera it usually is to pursue primetime/movies and move up the ladder career wise.  AS's move to leave Days was a more lateral career move; she is a mother/has a family, wanted to do more producing/directing, and have more control over her projects, and also take somewhat of a break. 

If I can use the analogy of working in an office.  AS is the former Vice president who semi-retired to do other things and occasionally will come into "consult" for her old job.  Kate would be the 20 something great/dependable worker who left the company to pursue greener pastures who will occasionally come back to work on projects because she honestly doesn't have a better offer on the table.

IMO I don't consider either one of these women "losers/failures" for coming back to Days periodically, but I do see that their circumstances are different.

I can see this POV I just don't get where the idea comes from that KM's returns don't mean she doesn't love the genre etc yet with AS it means she does. Unless I missed some comments KM made about being above soaps.

I don't really care about either actress but isn't it possible that they both love the genre despite being at different points in their careers?

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 1

https://www.soapoperanews.net/2019/07/atwtdays-of-our-lives-alum-stephen.html

ATWT/Days of Our Lives Alum Stephen Mines Passed Away!

As the World Turns and Days of Our Lives alum, Stephen Mines has passed away at age 80.

According to the obituary, Stephen D. Mines, of Grant Mi, passed away on Tuesday, May 21, 2019. He was born in Muskegon Michigan on February 3, 1939, to Stephen D and Bessie M (Reed) Mines. He was married to Michele (Maynard) Mines Stephen graduated high school from Muskegon Catholic Central in 1957 and also from Pasadena Playhouse in 1959. He served in the U.S. Army from 1962 til 1964. He went on with acting in the movies and TV until 1970 and moved on to shipbuilding. He later was owner/operator of Custom Furniture and Artisan wood turnings. In 2004 Stephen returned to Muskegon and resumed his passion of woodturning. Stephen was an Adventurer, avid reader and researcher, and a machinery innovator. He was preceded in death by: father and mother, Stephen Mines and Bessie (Mines) McGrady, Robert Mines and Roumele Mines. Survived by wife Michele Mines, Son Stephen D Mines III, Sisters: Theresa Weller, Josephine (Ed) Olshaske, and Michael (Mary) McGrady and also many nephews and nieces. Any cash donations are to be for the Wounded Warriors.

Mines is known for his role as David Martin on Days in 1966, Dr. Paul Stewart on As the World Turns from 1966 - 1968 and more. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

On 7/16/2019 at 8:36 PM, bannana said:

Someone posted that Chrishell Hartley is in a movie on Netflix called Staged Killer.  Sorry, I cannot recall which forum or topic is was posted.

But, I watched this movie and omg it was terrible.  Even as bad movies go, it was really bad.  Chrishell is a horrible actress (which is kind of what I always thought but this confirmed it).  Pretty much everyone except for the bad guy was terrible in this movie.

Of interest, the story/script was co-written by Linsey Hartley!

Chrishell is freaking hot as hell !!!

• Love 1

I think this digital series announcement is Days waving the white flag that NBC isn't going to renew them come January 2020 and they are testing out whether a web series can work for this show. 

Kind of surprised they would start with Chabby but they would be considered the couple of this decade by the show and one that would agree to this.

DOOL Digital Series Coming - There are some spoilers in the tweet and story attached, so proceed with caution if you'd like to avoid them:

I noted this previously, but this could make it quite difficult to decipher who's on set to film for the show vs. the digital series vs. the app.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Good question.  @scarynikki12 and I will discuss. 

As a non-US viewer, it’s not clear if the digital episodes will be available, so would appreciate if you take that into consideration also. 

Edited by BoldDays
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Is it wrong that I'm disappointed because now she'll have no time for DOOL? LOL

I have the opposite reaction.

However its pretty obvious she's a fixture at Hallmark at this point which is better than being on a soap that's on life support so good for her.

• Love 2

For those wondering what he's talking about apparently a fan mentioned how Sal(Lani) could win ANTM and then Lamon Archey(Eli) started insulting her back both actors were tagged on the tweet.

This is more interesting than the show. 

Edited by CanaryFan98

"Don't feed the troll." Said the troll... 🙄 Sorry, CanaryFan, nothing against you, it's just that guy in the first tweet is one of the worst people I've ever had the misfortune of coming across on Twitter.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Oh no, LA should not have tweeted that, ever.  No matter what the woman said.  It looks like she has deleted her tweet, but he still has his and the pic of her and Uncle Fester up there.  This is very poor judgement on his part.

And then, worse, Sal tweets that she thanks him for standing up for her.  🙃

They are actors on a show, and they need to figure out how to deal with social media.  

• Love 5
9 hours ago, bannana said:

Oh no, LA should not have tweeted that, ever.  No matter what the woman said.  It looks like she has deleted her tweet, but he still has his and the pic of her and Uncle Fester up there.  This is very poor judgement on his part.

And then, worse, Sal tweets that she thanks him for standing up for her.  🙃

They are actors on a show, and they need to figure out how to deal with social media.  

Yeah, I have to agree. They're even doing an Elani appreciation week on the Days account this week, with Ron joining in, and then they go and do this and it's..........a real downer. 😬 That's just really disappointing to see from anyone. 😕

• Love 3
2 hours ago, QueenSerena said:

Yeah, I have to agree. They're even doing an Elani appreciation week on the Days account this week, with Ron joining in, and then they go and do this and it's..........a real downer. 😬 That's just really disappointing to see from anyone. 😕

Looks like sanity prevailed (or the PR people!) and they have both deleted the tweets.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I find Elani Appreciation Week with the inclusion of Ron rather ironic considering this show doesn't write for these two beyond the token black couple.  Its like they appreciate the SM presence of Sal/Lamon who lets face it are the only people promoting their on screen pairing and trying to get people to watch but Days isn't doing their part.

I don't think you should tag actors regardless of what you say since you kind of had that coming but the reaction is probably not smart either considering you are on TV and don't have that level of anonymity a regular fan does.

• Love 6

I find Elani Appreciation Week with the inclusion of Ron rather ironic considering this show doesn't write for these two beyond the token black couple.

Thank you and yes....these two are so boring and mismatched. I'd appreciate a "we let Lani go" appreciation week.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I find Elani Appreciation Week with the inclusion of Ron rather ironic considering this show doesn't write for these two beyond the token black couple.

Thank you and yes....these two are so boring and mismatched. I'd appreciate a "we let Lani go" appreciation week.

Yes I'm all for letting her go I have never liked her and feel the show glosses over her messy behavior. Eli isn't my fave either but he's way more watchable than she is and has potential away from her as an individual character.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Yes I'm all for letting her go I have never liked her and feel the show glosses over her messy behavior. Eli isn't my fave either but he's way more watchable than she is and has potential away from her as an individual character.

What sort of name is "Lani" anyway ? 

6 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I'm all for letting her go I have never liked her and feel the show glosses over her messy behavior.

But I thought you liked messy behavior 😉😜😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, MsTree said:

But I thought you liked messy behavior 😉😜😁

Sure as long as they are interesting and it isn't glossed over in Lani's case neither applies.

11 hours ago, Rafael said:

What sort of name is "Lani" anyway ? 

I've seen worse soap names its strangely the less bothersome things about her for me.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

My all time most hated soap name was "Trucker".

Was that from Loving?

Babe on AMC was pretty bad too and I didn't like the character either. To think they made her David's daughter ugh.

• Love 1

I saw this on another board and I could totally see this happening if CBS/Viacom merge and take up Sony content

I think this fall, once NBC tells Corday that Sept 2020 is Days' end date, Sony will move Ron Carlivati over to replace Griffith.  After all, Ron has surely written the bible for first half of 2020; the show is already filming end of March 2020 (see below).  They'll be filming Sept 2020 episodes in March 2020. Ron will have finished the outlines by end of Dec, no doubt. Quan can oversee the final months.  Ron can take over YR just as Griffith's one year contract ends in Dec (as does Ron's). You know Ron's already been watching YR.  Brad Bell would never hire him. It's the only show left for him to turn into a drag show.

Days: Week of 8/12/19-8/16/19 # 13806-13813 (airing 3/12/20-3/23/20)

Then they can kill off Y&R with Ron around if it came to pass.

• Love 1

NBC isnt going to cancel DOOL any time soon.  Today is in ratings freefall.  Primetime is being propped up by Sunday Night Football and a rapidly fading VoiceTonight/LateNight have fallen behind CBS.   

Folks have been predicting DOOL's doom for 25 years -- usually those who slobber all over soaps on competing networks or posters who covertly work/run/manage click-bait-y soap sites on the web.

It seems very unlikely that the Sony suit will be resolved in the next 12 months.  The TV landscape is changing wildly, so it is hard to predict what the 2020s will bring. Shows are getting renewed with paltry viewership.  

DOOL is the most accessed program on the NBC app. NBC has plans to launch its own version of CBS All Access at some point in 2020.  It needs content that will bring eyeballs.  Sure, some affiliates probably want that hour so they can run their local news from 11A til 7PM or pocket some cash with infomercials.  NBC needs proven content.

Will there be a multi-year renewal again?  Probably not until the Sony matter is resolved.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

NBC isnt going to cancel DOOL any time soon.  Today is in ratings freefall.  Primetime is being propped up by Sunday Night Football and a rapidly fading VoiceTonight/LateNight have fallen behind CBS.   

Folks have been predicting DOOL's doom for 25 years -- usually those who slobber all over soaps on competing networks or posters who covertly work/run/manage click-bait-y soap sites on the web.

It seems very unlikely that the Sony suit will be resolved in the next 12 months.  The TV landscape is changing wildly, so it is hard to predict what the 2020s will bring. Shows are getting renewed with paltry viewership.  

DOOL is the most accessed program on the NBC app. NBC has plans to launch its own version of CBS All Access at some point in 2020.  It needs content that will bring eyeballs.  Sure, some affiliates probably want that hour so they can run their local news from 11A til 7PM or pocket some cash with infomercials.  NBC needs proven content.

Will there be a multi-year renewal again?  Probably not until the Sony matter is resolved.

Well something has to give because the WB sold their studios, their budget is getting smaller not bigger, at some point something will break if it hasn't already. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, DisneyBoy said:

At what point will they have to stop filming at their current studios? Is it a question of moving all the pre-existing sets to another studio?

I've heard possibly the end of the year is when they may have to stop filming then there will be a break for a bit. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

At what point will they have to stop filming at their current studios? Is it a question of moving all the pre-existing sets to another studio?

They have filmed 8 month ahead of shows, so they have time to figure things out.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, nilyank said:

They have filmed 8 month ahead of shows, so they have time to figure things out.

And I honestly wonder if they'll try to film their entire next season by the time they break in December. If they get a renewal, it would provide plenty of time to find a new studio and make the move (and that's if they have to, unless of course Warner Brothers already has plans or raises the rent beyond the show's means). If they get canceled, the actors would be done in time for pilot season.

I tend to agree with @SanDiegoInExile, though. NBC hasn't proven that they can consistently find a winner in their existing daytime schedule (the Today Show's 3rd hour finally has some stability, but it seems they're always scrambling to take care of Today vs. finding an alternative should they really want to get serious about canceling Days), plus daytime and prime time numbers aren't particularly far apart at the moment. I like to dunk on the show for their ratings slide, mainly because I'm so over Ron, but we never get to see their online & app performance. It might not be as bad as it appears, as the TV landscape is going through so much change and Nielsen doesn't appear to have found the best way to truly quantify ratings.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/days-lives-profits-lawsuit-sony-shot-down-by-court-1234907

'Days of Our Lives' Profits Lawsuit Against Sony Mostly Shot Down by Court

The distributor beat several of Corday Productions' claims, including breach of fiduciary duty, and the court says it's "unlikely" the fraud claim can be revived.

Sony Pictures Television has canceled several claims from the producers of Days of Our Lives, and will face a significantly trimmed lineup of allegations moving forward.

Corday Productions in February sued Sony claiming it isn't trying hard enough to distribute the long-running series, is miscalculating profits and is deflating the licensing fee to NBC — all in the interest of promoting its “wholly-owned daytime drama, The Young and the Restless.”

Retired federal judge Gary Feess, who is handling the matter as a judicial referee, largely sided with Sony and granted the studio's demurrer on several claims. 

Feess found Corday's breach of fiduciary duty claim fails because the relationship between the producer and distributor is a commercial relationship not a fiduciary relationship, and isn't a joint venture. 

Feess also sustained without leave to amend Sony's demurrer to certain alleged breaches of contract. Corday claimed Sony refused to negotiate more favorable terms after the series expanded to one-hour episodes, which the distributor notes happened four decades ago, and claimed it was forced to pay for production overages, which Sony says a 2009 contract amendment made clear was Corday's responsibility. Feess axed both alleged breaches from the complaint.

Sony also beat Corday's claim for unfair competition because the relevant statute "is not designed to remedy private disputes between private businesses" but rather to quell "business practices that threaten to deceive the public." (Read the full complaint below.)

Sony's demurrer to the fraud and concealment claims were sustained with leave to amend, with a skeptical Feess giving Corday one more shot. He found Corday doesn't allege it was deceived by false statements or engaged in detrimental conduct based on them and doesn't adequately describe what information was concealed, who was responsible for concealing it and how the concealment caused damage. 

"At the hearing, Corday’s counsel indicated that it could plead fraud with greater particularity," writes Feess. "While that seems unlikely, given the nature of the relationship between the parties, the timing of the alleged misrepresentations, and the unlikelihood that Corday can ever plead reliance, Corday will be given another chance to plead this claim." 

It wasn't a total victory for Sony, though, as a few of Corday's claims did survive this round. Feess found Corday has alleged a reasonable interpretation of their agreement with respect to its claims that Sony breached its obligation to adequately market the series and to share marketing costs.The claim for breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing will also move forward, with Feess finding that Corday's allegations are more than a mere regurgitation of the breach of contract claim.  

Feess found it is premature to decide at this stage whether an accounting should be ordered and whether declaratory relief may be appropriate.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Interesting. I wasn't expecting Corday to crush Sony, but this all sounds worse than I'd expected.

Even if Corday wins some money, won't Sony just retaliate by not renewing the show?

I think Corday wants to break free of Sony its not really just $$$ however I think Days has resigned themselves to the fact that they aren't going to be renewed so we're seeing a lot of returns and characters being written off getting a HEA and probably never to return again or unless Days gets renewed(although it seems grim at this point)

6 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Interesting. I wasn't expecting Corday to crush Sony, but this all sounds worse than I'd expected.

Even if Corday wins some money, won't Sony just retaliate by not renewing the show?

NBC renews the show, not Sony.  In theory, Sony could make it cost prohibitive for NBC to renew but ultimately, it'll be NBC who will get the blame.

If they can make money on the show, they'll probably keep it in production.   

• Love 2
6 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Sony doesn't renew the show.  NBC renews the show. It seems to be a weird setup, for sure.  It appears that Sony behaves in the role of an Agent/Syndicator, matching CordayDOOL with broadcast outlets, whether domestic, international, or internet.    Corday seems very unhappy with the arrangement that he made years ago. The judge seemed to point out that Sony adhered to its contractual obligations.

Given all the changes we have seen in "broadcast television" in just the last decade, I'm not surprised that Corday Productions feels frustrated.  I wonder if there is another entity out there who would bankroll some of their plans and more effectively market the show.  I am surprised that NBC/Universal/Comcast hasn't wanted that role.

• Love 1