Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

Days winning the GLAAD Media Award for daytime soap would mean something if there were any competition.

Regardless of the lack of legitimate competition, I do think Days deserved the award for its portrayal of Jackson alone. It's so refreshing to see a well-adjusted, confident, and successful gay guy on television. It's also nice to see one that isn't portrayed as a slut like the guys on Looking.

• Love 5

He congratulated Days for the win, but, it was a backhanded compliment..There was no sincerity in his tweet..Plus, He has had beef with Gary Tomlin, one of the headwriters of Days from their time together on one Life to live..When there was a writer's strike a few years ago, Tomlin crossed the picket line and was a scribe writer on the show and since he is a very petty. passive-aggressive child,he holds that against him...He blocks people on his tweeter feed who dares to voice a criticism of his writing.  He thinks he is in the same league as Shakespeare and Dostoyevsky...  

Thanks, Apprentice79, I didn't see that on his twitter, maybe he deleted it.  Thanks for the background info and insight.

I just don't see how anyone can dispute that this is truly the first front burner gay storyline that is just part of the show, like any other storyline.  And for that I think Days deserves recognition.  

• Love 2

Her husband seems like an ass.

Not only is he an ass, but a paranoid, untrusting dictator towards his wife and the show. I mean is Missy so weak that she can't avoid temptation if Jason came back to the show? To deny the fans of seeing Peter again is ridiculous...and Peter doesn't have to be in any scenes with Missy. Heck, they don't even have to share the same call times. It CAN be done, but because of Scott's selfish demands, it'll never happen. Scott, you're one controlling ass!

• Love 4

Not only is he an ass, but a paranoid, untrusting dictator towards his wife and the show. I mean is Missy so weak that she can't avoid temptation if Jason came back to the show? To deny the fans of seeing Peter again is ridiculous...and Peter doesn't have to be in any scenes with Missy. Heck, they don't even have to share the same call times. It CAN be done, but because of Scott's selfish demands, it'll never happen. Scott, you're one controlling ass!

I blame the writers more than her husband. If they want to bring Peter back they should and if MR can't deal with it then she can go.

• Love 10

I loved Jason Brooks's Peter, but it makes much more sense to recast Peter than it does Jen, if the show wants the Peter character back. JB was on the show for a few years a long time ago, while MR is the definitive Jennifer. I don't like Jen at all nowadays, but that's entirely because of the writing, not because of MR's acting.

Edited by Black Knight
  • Love 3

I always thought it would have been good for Peter to come back when EJ and Lexi were in town. I would have had Abigail have an affair with Peter instead of EJ...EJ would never have cheated on Sami.....that was another infidelity story that was out of character with no payoff....

• Love 2

Alison Sweeney had tweeted a picture of Jack and Jennifer and tweeter was buzzing because people thought that was her way of telling us that Matthew Ashford was back..She later tweeted that she was just saying that she wanted her favorite couple on the show to be back for the anniversary....However, you never know.Ali has ties to the network, she may be privy to some things that we don't know.  I would definitely be excited with seeing Jack and Jennifer onscreen with their children...I want Jack to come back and vanquish Dr tan and reclaim his family...

Sami and Jack were friends.  AS is returning for the 50th.  Maybe Jack will return to.  If that boring idiot Stefano Dimera can return from death a 1000 times, Jack can to.

That is true, but Ken Corday said that no more returns from the dead and he hates Jack and wants Dannifer to be the future....However, the network could always pressure him to bring Jack back....

• Love 1

I like Sami and Jack as friends, but it would be hilarious if Sami and Jack returned to Salem together so Jack could divorce Jenn, and marry Sami.  Then they returned to CA with Sami's children.

Now Michael Logan is saying Alison Sweeney's PR person is saying she is not confirmed to be back for the 50th yet.

Edited by TigerLynx

If Jack were to come back from the dead I would like him to read his nasty creature daughter for filth and tell raccoon Jen to die in a fire. And punch Dan in the face. 

I'd be happy if he just did the last thing.

• Love 1

Apparently Freddie's contract is up in April, but word on the street is that he wants to extend it till August when Guy's contract is up..I guess he must want Wilson to be the endgame...Who knows what will happen? I never thought that they would have written out Chandler, but they did...I think the show will be taping the new regime's script soon...They were dark last week...They work this week and they are off on Good Friday....

I always thought it was weird that Guy Wilson's contract was so short (don't new hires sign a four year contract?) and suspected they planned on writing out Will and Sonny sometime in 2015. I wouldn't be surprised if Freddie left. Most of the young actors seem to leave once their contract is up. Except KM, she's still here for some reason.

I always thought it was weird that Guy Wilson's contract was so short (don't new hires sign a four year contract?) and suspected they planned on writing out Will and Sonny sometime in 2015. I wouldn't be surprised if Freddie left. Most of the young actors seem to leave once their contract is up. Except KM, she's still here for some reason.

I think they offer 2 year contracts now...Christopher's contract ends in 2016....Plus, Days of our lives is not renewed beyond 2016...It makes no sense to offer them long-term contracts anymore....I always suspected that they were going to write out Wilson after they got married, but, Chandler's plans to leave the show derailed their plans. So they had to continue the story of Wilson with no long-term plans for them. It explains why they were stuck fighting Nick for Ari again. The Homophobes are always a factor when writing gay characters..If they made too much noise about them, they could be written out quickly. Look at their vitriol on the Days of our lives face book page, they are disgusting...We still have alot of work to do when it comes to tolerance...

There are fans out there who are nuts who dislike Freddie mostly because of Wilson Version 2.  There is a small faction of anti-fans that harass him on Twitter about it, calling him a drunkard all the time because of his accident last year (but then, these are the same people who also think he's a closeted gay who was "disloyal to Chandler" and keeps Alyssa as his beard so...). Lmao....

Edited by Apprentice79

I would love for Alison and Freddie to win especially since in the last year they were both stuck in horrible SLs where they gave it their all in spite of some truly terrible writing.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 5

DAYTIME EMMY NOMINEES ANNOUNCED!

Freddie Smith and Alison Sweeney (finally) were nominated for Lead Actress and Younger Lead Actor, respectively. Peggy McCay was also nominated for Lead Actress. Camila Banus was nominated for Younger Lead Actress.

I'm really rooting for Ali Sweeney and Freddie Smith they busted their asses last year and were good. Much better than most.

• Love 7
(edited)

I've never believed that rumor. For one thing, it isn't necessary for MR to demand such a thing. No showrunner who'd been through that whole fiasco would run the risk of hiring back JB while MR is on the show, even if MR said she was completely fine with it. Perhaps especially if MR said she was completely fine with it. There's just no point. JB has been gone forever and Peter is easily recastable. DAYS just doesn't want the character.

As for the contract issue, that's just business. MR broke her contract for very understandable reasons and paid the appropriate penalties for it. I'm no fan of Scott Reeves, but seriously - the Jennifer character had just married Peter. There are few spouses who would not insist, if the marriage is to continue, that their cheating spouse exit the job that will require lots of intimate working together with the person they cheated with. MR chose her marriage and I don't have any issue with that (how much bashing has Sneasel gotten because he keeps putting his career ahead of Sonny after having cheated on him?). She went through the litigation and paid the penalties, as it should be. She could have tried to keep both her job and her marriage by having the show dump JB rather than quit herself - there's a very, very good chance the show would have done that, since MR was by far the bigger name and asset and more difficult to recast. But she didn't - she sucked it up and left her job and dealt with the litigation without seeming to have taken it personally, so I'm not surprised she and Corday were able to work out bringing her back. Jennifer is a needed character on the show and MR is Jennifer. She's not dead weight. The writing for Jen is the problem.

Edited by Black Knight
  • Love 5

I think Hope and Kayla bring more to the show than Jennifer.  Breaking a contract is unprofessional.  If they let someone who does that return to the show, why wouldn't they keep other actors/actresses around who cost less?

• Love 3

Well then in a few months I'll have that hour back. Without Freddie I've got no real reason to continue watching the show. Yep, I'm that shallow but at least he'll very likely get an Daytime Emmy to add to his resume and hopefully he'll get something more worthy of his talents.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think Hope and Kayla bring more to the show than Jennifer.  Breaking a contract is unprofessional.  If they let someone who does that return to the show, why wouldn't they keep other actors/actresses around who cost less?

I agree Hope is essential; not so sure about Kayla, much as I love her. But let's say she's essential too - that doesn't mean Jennifer isn't. There isn't a numbers quota of essential characters. So those things don't really have anything to do with each other, except that in the case of Hope/Jen, if one of them were gone, the other would consequently be a little less necessary because one of their ties to the canvas is gone. As for MR, it's not always unprofessional to break a contract - sometimes personal circumstances simply make it necessary. If your spouse cheated on you and then said that they have to stay on the job that requires them to keep working together intimately with the person they cheated with because it wouldn't be professional to do otherwise, would you say anything other than, "Get the fuck out of here with that! How dare you put that over our marriage!" How about if you learn you have a terminal illness? etc. Such circumstances don't get you out of paying the penalty for breaking a contract - that's part of the deal. It's a contract, not a slave document. You can break it if you pay the penalty.

MR had an extraordinary personal circumstance. She left and paid the penalty. That resolved the business issue, and then the extraordinary personal circumstance ended. The odds are unlikely she'd have another such circumstance. Corday didn't take her leaving personally, she didn't take being sued personally. They both simply did what they had to do, and appear to be objective enough to understand that of each other. Five years later, they worked out a return, then she left again when she opted not to renew her contract, then she came back a few years later and has been on ever since.

This is an industry where people come and go all the time - firings, quittings, hirings. Actors typically sign for years at a time but can be fired every couple months. Fired actors will come back to the shows that fired them. And so on. In that kind of industry you get pretty anesthetized to the whole thing, which makes it easier to not get emotionally caught up (I work in one like this, the revolving door never stops turning). The only thing unusual about MR's first departure, in the sea of all the departures that take place, was that she did it during a contract. But again, extraordinary personal circumstance. Again, not surprised that she and Corday could resolve their issues and work together again, and surprise surprise, she hasn't broken another contract. An extraordinary personal circumstance is understood not to be predictive of normal behavior.

I wonder if they plan to recast Sonny.

Edited by Black Knight
  • Love 3
(edited)

I agree Hope is essential; not so sure about Kayla, much as I love her. But let's say she's essential too - that doesn't mean Jennifer isn't. There isn't a numbers quota of essential characters. So those things don't really have anything to do with each other, except that in the case of Hope/Jen, if one of them were gone, the other would consequently be a little less necessary because one of their ties to the canvas is gone. As for MR, it's not always unprofessional to break a contract - sometimes personal circumstances simply make it necessary. If your spouse cheated on you and then said that they have to stay on the job that requires them to keep working together intimately with the person they cheated with because it wouldn't be professional to do otherwise, would you say anything other than, "Get the fuck out of here with that! How dare you put that over our marriage!" How about if you learn you have a terminal illness? etc. Such circumstances don't get you out of paying the penalty for breaking a contract - that's part of the deal. It's a contract, not a slave document. You can break it if you pay the penalty.

MR had an extraordinary personal circumstance. She left and paid the penalty. That resolved the business issue, and then the extraordinary personal circumstance ended. The odds are unlikely she'd have another such circumstance. Corday didn't take her leaving personally, she didn't take being sued personally. They both simply did what they had to do, and appear to be objective enough to understand that of each other. Five years later, they worked out a return, then she left again when she opted not to renew her contract, then she came back a few years later and has been on ever since.

This is an industry where people come and go all the time - firings, quittings, hirings. Actors typically sign for years at a time but can be fired every couple months. Fired actors will come back to the shows that fired them. And so on. In that kind of industry you get pretty anesthetized to the whole thing, which makes it easier to not get emotionally caught up (I work in one like this, the revolving door never stops turning). The only thing unusual about MR's first departure, in the sea of all the departures that take place, was that she did it during a contract. But again, extraordinary personal circumstance. Again, not surprised that she and Corday could resolve their issues and work together again, and surprise surprise, she hasn't broken another contract. An extraordinary personal circumstance is understood not to be predictive of normal behavior.

I wonder if they plan to recast Sonny.

I hope not..I feel sorry for the guy that will take over for Freddie...Guy will probably get blame for Freddie leaving....They blamed him for Chandler's dismissal and he had nothing to do with it...lol..Freddie also got blamed by some Chandler Stans, who said that Freddie was jealous of his talent...lol..Sonny could leave Will and decide to live his life elsewhere.. What about Ari? I don't see Sonny leaving her...That is his daughter period....

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1

I'm going to sound really nasty here but I'm kinda hoping that they write Sonny out of the show permanently. Yep, I mean kill him off. They're s no way they'll find an actor that'll be accepted as a recast and if they kill him off it'll mean that Freddie (and Guy also) will get some great scenes to end his run on the show and it'll give closure to the WilSon story.

(edited)

I'm going to sound really nasty here but I'm kinda hoping that they write Sonny out of the show permanently. Yep, I mean kill him off. They're s no way they'll find an actor that'll be accepted as a recast and if they kill him off it'll mean that Freddie (and Guy also) will get some great scenes to end his run on the show and it'll give closure to the WilSon story.

Why not have them leave the show together..They have done that with Justin and Adrienne, Bo and Hope, Doug and Julie..They can always bring them back...Justin and Adrienne had been off the show for decades, until now...Plus, it would be so cruel to make their daughter lose another parent before the age of 3..let's be honest here, Will would be totally lost without Sonny..Sonny has been his anchor from the moment they met on that pier years ago....He is the head of that household, the stabilizing force in their family....

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1

Was there ever any truth to the rumor that for some anniversary, possibly the 40th, that Jennifer Anniston agreed to appear for a day in scenes opposite her father for scale , and then Corday wouldn't work with her schedule?