Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

👏👏👏👏👏

Who dat?

Staci Greason played Isabella. I always felt Dee wanted both Romans to herself. Stacy said she knew Isabella was going to be turned into the villain so noped out

Edited by brisbydog
  • Like 4

I looked up Greason and in an interview was asked if she would go back to Days and she said no. She is in her 50s and doesn't want to get work done. As in DH probably. Lol

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, rcc said:

I looked up Greason and in an interview was asked if she would go back to Days and she said no. She is in her 50s and doesn't want to get work done. As in DH probably. Lol

She is a published author now. I saw Matt A getting very excited for her when she announced this. She said John A told her to stay another year and bank the money but she wanted to write.  She wrote a lovely post about him when he died. She came back now and then as Izzy B's ghost but last time was 2011 I think. I'm glad she let Isabella go out as a heroine and not get ruined by Jarlena. See: Kristen

• Like 11
2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

👏👏👏👏👏

Eeeewwww. How so? Poor gal. She's gorgeous. Wish she had more people around to protect her.

No surprise there. Older characters rarely get anything to do.

Well there it is, then. That settles it. Was this while Dee was married to him, though? I'm surprised SR would risk ruining a work relationship like that, though...

Who dat?

Billy with Abigail's death stuff....maybe.

Kevin with his coming out arc, maybe.

Stacey...? No comment. Maybe the Susan stuff? But...still...

Dan as EJ mourning Susan? Maybe.

VG? No.

1. Nadia sang and traveled as a child opera star and given how Epstein was connected to high society you can connect the dots.

2. GF was in her 20s back then she wasn't really that much older(even if she was mature looking). She mentioned Days had so many changes BTS wasn't very stable. 

3. Staci Greason= Isabella(although in retrospect I'm glad she did it because Isabella would've been ruined had she stuck around).

40 minutes ago, brisbydog said:

She is a published author now. I saw Matt A getting very excited for her when she announced this. She said John A told her to stay another year and bank the money but she wanted to write.  She wrote a lovely post about him when he died. She came back now and then as Izzy B's ghost but last time was 2011 I think. I'm glad she let Isabella go out as a heroine and not get ruined by Jarlena. See: Kristen

I know it's unlikely but I would like to see Isabella make a "visit" to welcome Victor to the afterlife(even though he would go to hell the complete opposite place of Isabella) with Brady watching.

It would be like how Maxie got to see Georgie walk with Nathan to the afterlife on GH.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I watched the Dirty Soap series, which  I figured was very scripted, but everything about Nadia and her mother screamed Stage Mother with a capitol S.

Not surprised about Michael T Weiss. I don't think it was that big of a secret, either. I remember him playing Jeffrey in 1996. I LOVED him from the Pretender and I wish he could have had a bigger career. However I think maybe he wanted the lower profile because if you're A or B-list you get a lot of scrutiny about your private life.

I was surprised though to realize that Matthew Ashford isn't gay. (He does have a gay daughter, though.) I kinda always thought the storyline where Jack "pretends" to be gay was a little wink and nod to the audience. LOL

RKK wound up marrying the girl who played Sami's friend as soon as she was legally old enough to marry, I believe. They divorced around 10 years ago.

I know this version of Jack doesn't exude it but the early version of MA's Jack and MA in other roles he wasn't as neutered. 

Yes RKK has drama in every soap he's been on yet despite that he managed to return to AW and GH despite that. Days yeah that's never going to happen. Alison's mother didn't want her daughter around him so she took her off the show for a while until he was gone. At least that's what I recall. RKK was married to Miriam Parrish(Jamie Caldwell) they have a son. I wish they brought back Jamie for Lucas tbh she genuinely cared for him and I thought they had chemistry. Plus it would give him something else besides Sami.

I also had my gaydar pinged with MTW when I saw Jeffrey he was too convincing in that. He was the best Mike Horton. I enjoyed the sibling chemistry he and MR's Jennifer had.

• Like 2

To tell Stacy Haiduk from Staci Greason, an easy way is their first name spellings, as typed here!

(While the book info sounds juicy, I'm also not sure it can be reliable. Wanna sell books? Put in good shit! But it doesn't mean it's legit, at least how I read it.)

I definitely liked Staci/Isabella, but from all I read, she left due to a salary dispute, so that sounds more likely to me than Dee Hall doing her queen act, especially since - even though Dee was popular - she had been gone for years and had just returned. At that juncture, I don't buy she had the power to force anyone out.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

DisneyBoy: Stacey Greason played Isabella...I loved her character, she was so romantic & she & Drake had great chemistry.  I was so Sad when they had her character die of cancer.

But it was a real death and it meant something, not like Marlena who dies every other year 

6 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

To tell Stacy Haiduk from Staci Greason, an easy way is their first name spellings, as typed here!

(While the book info sounds juicy, I'm also not sure it can be reliable. Wanna sell books? Put in good shit! But it doesn't mean it's legit, at least how I read it.)

I definitely liked Staci/Isabella, but from all I read, she left due to a salary dispute, so that sounds more likely to me than Dee Hall doing her queen act, especially since - even though Dee was popular - she had been gone for years and had just returned. At that juncture, I don't buy she had the power to force anyone out.

Staci said John Aniston tried to convince her to stay and save money to buy a house but she was Gung-ho to write a book. That's right from her. I definitely felt like Dee didn't want to share the stage with someone younger and objectively prettier. I'm glad too that Staci left when she did as they were going to tell that affair story regardless 

Edited by brisbydog
  • Like 8

Deidre did not force Staci out. Per Drake, Staci asked for too much money and the show called her bluff. Thus, she was written out.

Per Sheri Anderson, the affair between John and Marlena was going to happen with or without Isabella being around.

Regarding Isabella being turned into a villain, there is no evidence of that. I mean, Roman wasn’t turned into a villain to justify John and Marlena. That storyline was a rare storyline where all three parties were written sympathetically. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
13 minutes ago, SouthernChick said:

Deidre did not force Staci out. Per Drake, Staci asked for too much money and the show called her bluff. Thus, she was written out.

Per Sheri Anderson, the affair between John and Marlena was going to happen with or without Isabella being around.

Regarding Isabella being turned into a villain, there is no evidence of that. I mean, Roman wasn’t turned into a villain to justify John and Marlena. That storyline was a rare storyline where all three parties were written sympathetically. 

Well Staci says different and that she didn't stay because she wanted to write and fell on harsh times as a result. Drake doesn't necessarily know everything and he wanted Jarlena.

And I'm sure Isabella would have been a victim of that writing eventually. Kristen started out sweet too

Anyhow it was 30 years ago. I have good memories of Isabella and still find Marlena and John tedious but I admire the actors for sticking with the show all these years

Edited by brisbydog
  • Like 5
36 minutes ago, SouthernChick said:

Have to disagree that Wayne Northrop's Roman was written sympathetically. If I recall, upon his return (rightfully or not), he was suddenly angry, insecure, and seemed to yell at his loved ones pretty regularly.

He also resented Carrie's remaining loyalty to John, despite John raising her as a loving parent. And that anger seemed to coincide with Marlena still feeling drawn to John.

In essence, then, Roman was sort of a "benign villain" in that triangle. Considering how Kristen fared against Marlena, I still think that was to be Isabella's fate in her own damned marriage had Staci Greason stayed.

And, in the end, Wayne got fired/Roman had to leave town to accommodate John/Marlena, so...

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, brisbydog said:

Everybody in the teen set hooked up from the Last Blast crew

Not shocked 

2 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

would be like how Maxie got to see Georgie walk with Nathan to the afterlife on GH.

Man that was a beautiful scene I loved it. I miss my Naxie. Still pissed GH sorry asses killed off my Georgie F'K senseless.

3 hours ago, rcc said:

Shade

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
54 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Have to disagree that Wayne Northrop's Roman was written sympathetically. If I recall, upon his return (rightfully or not), he was suddenly angry, insecure, and seemed to yell at his loved ones pretty regularly.

He also resented Carrie's remaining loyalty to John, despite John raising her as a loving parent. And that anger seemed to coincide with Marlena still feeling drawn to John.

In essence, then, Roman was sort of a "benign villain" in that triangle. Considering how Kristen fared against Marlena, I still think that was to be Isabella's fate in her own damned marriage had Staci Greason stayed.

And, in the end, Wayne got fired/Roman had to leave town to accommodate John/Marlena, so...

That's exactly how I remember it. Roman went from being a decent guy to yelling at everyone. I recall him screaming in Bo's face when he was late for work cause Isabella was having a setback. It was RKK Bo so I didn't care but it was still asshole behaviour. I am certain that Isabella would have got the Kristen treatment. And I trust Staci's version as she has been consistent in every interview regarding why she left. She looks great at 58 btw but says she isn't returning as a ghost anymore as she is tired of reading how Izzy has aged in Heaven lol

Edited by brisbydog
  • Like 6

I take rumors with a huge grain of salt. 

I do think DH had a lot of pull because she's the reason Wayne's Roman came back and Drake became John in the first place but I've never heard of any tension between her and Staci nor do I think Staci/Isabella posed any threat to her as queen bee.  As much as I loved Izzy-B and thought she and John were a great couple, she was never really treated as a lead during her time. She was a sister, a love interest (John), a friend (Jack) and a daughter.  The daughter stuff was probably the closest she got.

Now, the DH tension/rivalry I did hear about from around that time related to DH possibly feeling threatened was related to Crystal Chappell.  CC/Carly absolutely was treated as a lead actress and star during that time.  Again, I don't know if it's true but that's where most of the smoke had been from my recollection.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
23 minutes ago, SouthernChick said:

I just remembered how I felt for every one in the storyline. Deidre wasn’t initially a fan of Marlena cheating on the plane - she wanted Marlena to pull back. 

I remember that. I thought it was way too soon after Isabella's death and felt sleazy. Glad Dee felt the same 

22 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I do think DH had a lot of pull because she's the reason Wayne's Roman came back and Drake became John in the first place but I've never heard of any tension between her and Staci nor do I think Staci/Isabella posed any threat to her as queen bee.  As much as I loved Izzy-B and thought she and John were a great couple, she was never really treated as a lead during her time. She was a sister, a love interest (John), a friend (Jack) and a daughter.  The daughter stuff was probably the closest she got.

Now, the DH tension/rivalry I did hear about from around that time related to DH possibly feeling threatened was related to Crystal Chappell.  CC/Carly absolutely was treated as a lead actress and star during that time.  Again, I don't know if it's true but that's where most of the smoke had been from my recollection.

I didn't put any of the rumours about CC on my wrap up because she seems to have a lot of mental health issues and I can't make light of that. But yeah I heard she was not easy to work with, while Staci seems like she was very easy going and had no delusions of being the lead. Interestingly both she and Matt are Buddhists and seem to still follow each other on social media.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Yes I believe CC was more of a threat than SG/Isabella. It wasn’t a coincidence after DH left in 2009 that CC returned and left when DH came back two years later. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 5
5 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I was surprised though to realize that Matthew Ashford isn't gay. (He does have a gay daughter, though.) I kinda always thought the storyline where Jack "pretends" to be gay was a little wink and nod to the audience. LOL

Oh, I knew Matthew Ashford was straight, since most SOD articles would often reference his then-wife Christina.

I know one of their daughters now works for the New York Times, so it seems kind of unintentionally meta since Jack had The Spectator and such.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

As I understand it, Dee made it a condition of her return that Wayne return with her. (FWIW I can see why, I've seen clips of their original pairing — they were terrific — so I understand why she'd want him with her.) She even snagged special billing for both of them. Given all that, I've always wondered how she felt about ending up in a long term pairing with... the other guy. 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Guncle Adam said:

As I understand it, Dee made it a condition of her return that Wayne return with her. (FWIW I can see why, I've seen clips of their original pairing — they were terrific — so I understand why she'd want him with her.) She even snagged special billing for both of them. Given all that, I've always wondered how she felt about ending up in a long term pairing with... the other guy. 

"The other guy" had long proven his popularity in the role of Roman during Hall's (and Northrop's) absence, though.

Maybe she recognized that and decided, for the sake of longevity and airtime, to just go for it, since both DH's had also proven popular in Round 1.

If I recall, upon his return, viewers had seemed lukewarm on WN's Roman, despite his original popularity. I do recall most seemed interested in the Two Romans and Marlena (and Isabella in the mix - SG/DH did have a decent-sized fanbase; I even recall the SOD Mailbag [with Drake and Staci on the cover] outright stating that many wanted Marlena with Roman and Isabella with John. While I adored the latter, I was admittedly surprised, considering the seeds were being planted for Marlena torn between the two men [even if John was happy with Isabella at that time!].)

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

Ahh ok. I know who Isabella is, just not the actress.

Question: is someone a "Stage Mom" just by virtue of being there with their child, or specifically because of how demanding they are of said child in the presence of others?

...cause it's a good thing to have a parent around as a young actor.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Ahh ok. I know who Isabella is, just not the actress.

Question: is someone a "Stage Mom" just by virtue of being there with their child, or specifically because of how demanding they are of said child in the presence of others?

...cause it's a good thing to have a parent around as a young actor.

Fay Borlin is a bit over the top and seems to want to share the stardom with Nadia(her twitter is something), while all I know about Ally's mom is that she was protecting her from a likely predator 

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

Wow!!! Victoria Grace (Wendy Shin) rescinded her Emmy nomination.  Looks like there was some sort of confusion with her submission. Young Performer Emmys are for 18yrs and younger. Victoria was 21 at the start of 2022. 

I don't know how this wasn't fact checked before. I believe the rule was changed a year or so ago. Young performer used to be 21 or early twenties and younger. 

I can't tell if the Academy was going to let it slide and she decided to rescind to avoid controversy if she won. Or they were going to revoke and gave her the chance to save face.

Really unfortunate for Victoria, she seems really heartbroken over the situation.  

• Sad 9
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Wow!!! Victoria Grace (Wendy Shin) rescinded her Emmy nomination.  Looks like there was some sort of confusion with her submission. Young Performer Emmys are for 18yrs and younger. Victoria was 21 at the start of 2022. 

I don't know how this wasn't fact checked before. I believe the rule was changed a year or so ago. Young performer used to be 21 or early twenties and younger. 

I can't tell if the Academy was going to let it slide and she decided to rescind to avoid controversy if she won. Or they were going to revoke and gave her the chance to save face.

Really unfortunate for Victoria, she seems really heartbroken over the situation.  

I did kind of sideye Victoria being 18 because she doesn't seem like she's that young. That really sucks for her.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

It should be fine for the time being. They tape six months in advance and the scripts I believe are 6 weeks out from that. So they are about 7-8 months ahead in the writing.  

• Like 4
(edited)

As you heard Jackie Zeman(Bobbie on GH) passed away and since GH/Days share a lot of actors here are some of their tributes

Tamara Braun on Instagram: “I don’t have the words. This shocks and hurts too much for words. I want to hug you. Laugh with you. Share stories. Talk real talk because…”

SN

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsFoYuyOBlE/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=971435d9-6ced-4f6f-b33e-8c0df79098c6

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Sad 5
(edited)

Miranda Wilson, Peter Porte, and Colton Little interview:

Miranda Wilson comes off as so warm and maternal. I would have loved to see her play a warm school teacher on some Canadian drama set in the 19th/early 20th century.

Peter Porte mostly does Christmas movies so I'm glad he gets to change it up. I don't think they're going to make Dimitri gay, though. I'd be surprised if they did. 

Really nice that Colton Little gets to play a gay character. He seems so grateful for the opportunity to work.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 7
(edited)
8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Miranda Wilson comes off as so warm and maternal. I would have loved to see her play a warm school teacher on some Canadian drama set in the 19th/early 20th century.

Which is precisely why I find her so underwhelming as a villain. They're trying to work against her natural strengths.

...do you mean she should be on Road to Avonlea or Anne of Green Gables, LOL?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

..do you mean she should be on Road to Avonlea or Anne of Green Gables, LOL?

Exactly that kind of show. The encouraging teacher type who teaches an illiterate teenage vagabond how to read, or a nice spinster who takes in an orphan. Her vibe would have fit well on that type of show. 

3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Peter Porte's haircut is so bad lol.

He's a good looking guy (something was off with his face in the gay Christmas movie he did- I'm thinking he went too hard on Botox- but he's since recovered) but yes. Short little bangs never look good on anyone. LOL

• Like 3

So they're taping 6 months ahead then based on the decor?

I think that was Lindsey Godfrey in the background. I think they're trying to hide who's going to show up at the Horton Christmas(which tbh doesn't look like much)

• Like 4

That was definitely the Horton home set. And yeah, I'm pretty sure that was Linsey Godfrey clapping in the background (which is nice of her!). Bill still seems sharp as a tack at 98! I can't remember what I had for dinner two nights ago.

Here is a much better angle of the cake, from Twitter!

• Like 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
37 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

The picture on the cake was nice, but it sure could have been a prettier color. A black cake seems pretty morbid to me.

The picture was probably black and white when it was originally taken.  I'm not sure what colors would look good on the sides except for maybe more silver frosting.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 4

Please be careful with the discussion of casting spoilers.  I'll leave the video up because I think you have to look really hard to see other people in the video.

If the character is on the show now and is in that video, it's fine to talk about them.  But if you think you see someone in that video that you don't expect to be there, discuss it in the spoilers thread. I've moved the posts that cross the line there. 

• Like 2
(edited)

I found and listened to two most recent interviews of Staci G done within the last two years. The first one was one about her life prior to acting and as an actor and then writer and the second one was about her experience in film and tv. I am sure there are whole lot more out there but these two should be enough to clear the air about about the "salary dispute aka she wanted more money" or the so-called "no heat" claim.

Being a daytime actor on contract and part of a supercouple and potrayer of well-liked character had perks back then, name recognition and fame and lucrative job not to mention one had the oppourtinity to travel to other countries for location filming. Morever, American Daytime Soaps actors were treated like royalties in different parts of the world. The pressure or grueling schedule could be difficult to handle for some but the job was more than worthwile to keep. SG said herself that her time on Days filled with golden memories and she is always greatful for getting to work there despite the pressure of being reconigzed and stalked outside of work and receveid unkind mails from fans etc. As hard as it was for her to leave the show, SG eventually made that final decision to pursue writing. So the claim that she departed from Days because they called her bluff didn't add up. Think about it, a person who chose a uncertain future over lucrative job demanded more money...

As for the "no heat" comment, Drake and Staci adored each other very much (both of them cried hard in her last day) and with him being the ultimate professional, it is very doubtful he would say something like that. For me, a pairing who had pulled off all kinds of intimate moments was far from "no heat" to say the least.

Something else from the interview grabbed my attention, SG did admit that it took a long time to get over not coming to work everyday (she really missed being part of the "family" and close friends like Drake and Matt and John Aniston) and few years after Isabella's death, she approahced TPTBs to let her come back but they said her time was over.

Edited by Guest