Type keyword(s) to search

The DCC Organization: Coaches, Judges and Owner Group

• Start Topic

I want to say it was Cerisa and Dinesha or something along those lines... they acted like Megan was the first girl to drop out of training camp when, in reality, she was another in a long line of girls who felt like they couldn't handle the pressure.  The difference is that she was the only one to drop out on camera.  The others all dropped out via email or on nights the cameras weren't there.

Edited by ClosetBachJunkie

I remember one gal quitting cause of the schedule and you see Kelly and Judy discussing the fact that they ask every girl if they can handle the schedule.  She took someone's spot which also ticked them off.  Which to be honest - if they took 45 to training camp and I was number 46 - I would be furious if one gal just up and quit.

When the Minchew sisters quit, that's when they brought Kaime back, isn't it?

I remember one gal quitting cause of the schedule and you see Kelly and Judy discussing the fact that they ask every girl if they can handle the schedule.  She took someone's spot which also ticked them off.  Which to be honest - if they took 45 to training camp and I was number 46 - I would be furious if one gal just up and quit.

When the Minchew sisters quit, that's when they brought Kaime back, isn't it?

Yes, they brought her back, but it was 3 weeks into training camp and she didn't have time to catch up.

I want to say it was Cerisa and Dinesha or something along those lines... they acted like Megan was the first girl to drop out of training camp when, in reality, she was another in a long line of girls who felt like they couldn't handle the pressure.  The difference is that she was the only one to drop out on camera.  The others all dropped out via email or on nights the cameras weren't there.

Maybe that's what Kelli meant, that no one has ever quit on camera before.  I know Cerisa did just email them and I think Dinesha did too; also that Nina Marie girl (I think it was her).  I assumed the Minchews met with them face to face, just off camera.  

Maybe that's what Kelli meant, that no one has ever quit on camera before.  I know Cerisa did just email them and I think Dinesha did too; also that Nina Marie girl (I think it was her).  I assumed the Minchews met with them face to face, just off camera.  

It was Christina Marie who dropped out by email.  Nina's cut was shown on the show.

When one of the Minchew's wanted back, Judy took a really dim view of her return. I don't think either sister would have been a fit for the squad. They were overly rehearsed and phony from having competed in one pageant too many. I don't think either one of them were able to separate pageant life/personality from real life/personality.

When one of the Minchew's wanted back, Judy took a really dim view of her return. I don't think either sister would have been a fit for the squad. They were overly rehearsed and phony from having competed in one pageant too many. I don't think either one of them were able to separate pageant life/personality from real life/personality.

Kenley might not have been a fit for the DCC  but she was a Dallas Mavs dancer for 2 seasons and a Atlanta Falcons cheerleader for one season.

As mentioned a bit upthread re: Kaime, I felt bad for her. They put her into the middle of training camp by giving her the impossible task to catch up. Then when she got to semis, the girl next to her pulled her down enough to where she had problems kicking. It's like she was unfairly saddled down with too many obstacles, and in the end it worked to her disadvantage.

On the TWoP boards, an insider in the DCC organization said Kaime thought she had it made when she was brought into training camp, and she was not practicing the routines etc. etc. The person also said Kelli and Judy did not care for her and only brought her back for the drama factor and ratings. No idea if this is true or not.

I never understood why they brought back Kaime, of all people. Her kicks were terrible and pretty much no one liked her look. I always wonder if it had anything to do with Kitty, because she made a comment at one point that Kaime was a rockstar.

On the TWoP boards, an insider in the DCC organization said Kaime thought she had it made when she was brought into training camp, and she was not practicing the routines etc. etc. The person also said Kelli and Judy did not care for her and only brought her back for the drama factor and ratings. No idea if this is true or not.

Wow. Well, this isn't unbelievable. I could certainly see this being factual.

If that story about Kaime and being brought back into Training Camp is true, I can certainly see why she was cut.  I would have been practicing my behind off if I had the chance that Kaime was handed to show that I deserved to stay.  If her attitude sucked at training camp, wasn't practicing, etc., then I can also see why she wasn't brought back the next year.  She wasn't spectacular at auditions (despite her kicks being spoiled by the other girl) and that, plus whatever Judy and Kelly saw at Training Camp the year before, was why she wasn't brought back.  Kaime might have also saw the writing on the wall that audition so that's why she didn't try again after being cut in semis (?).

Can I just say that I think that Kelli (not sure if Judy is also doing) dressed way better on her own before this Belk sponsorship?  Not liking at all.

Kelli tends to look very stiff and uncomfortable in her Belk frocks. Probably because she's all spanxed up.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 1

Her clothes look like they don't fit. Sorry, I know this is silly but I kind of love her and hate to see her less than perfect!

I have a favorite photo/outfit of Kelli from Season 7 or 8, so not that long ago. I just kept thinking now, why can't she dress better?

Go back to your own clothes Kelli or find a tailor!!!!

Her clothes look like they don't fit. Sorry, I know this is silly but I kind of love her and hate to see her less than perfect!

I have a favorite photo/outfit of Kelli from Season 7 or 8, so not that long ago. I just kept thinking now, why can't she dress better?

Go back to your own clothes Kelli or find a tailor!!!!

I just started season 7 and she wore a gorgeous blue/turquoise dress during prelims. It was still form fitting, but she didn't look like she couldn't breathe. I think there are other factors besides just the fact that she's wearing Belk clothing though. Kelli has seemed to put on a little more weight in between each season. Don't get me wrong, I think she still looks amazing, but I think there's a good chance that with the continuous weight gain she has gotten more and more uncomfortable in her own skin. That can really affect how you carry yourself.

I remember one gal quitting cause of the schedule and you see Kelly and Judy discussing the fact that they ask every girl if they can handle the schedule.  She took someone's spot which also ticked them off.  Which to be honest - if they took 45 to training camp and I was number 46 - I would be furious if one gal just up and quit

K&J can be as angry as they want to be but I don't blame anyone for quitting training camp because they realized it's not what they thought it would be. Yes, even though training camp has been on tv for over a decade. Even then.

There are a lot of experiences in life you think will be a certain way because of what you've seen and what you've heard, and they turn out to be different when you experience them first hand for yourself. As far as I am concerned, training camp is an extended job interview, and just like any other job interview, it is a two way street. The DCC organization figures out if each dancer has what it takes to work for them. But it is equally the candidate's opportunity to explore the situation and decide if the DCC attitude, lifestyle, and requirements are a good fit for her situation. There is nothing wrong with giving the experience an honest try and then deciding against it. It is a huge commitment and if you realize during TC summer that you don't want to do it, yes you should leave. That just improves the chances for the girls who are left.

Actually, I think it takes a lot of confidence and courage to leave, given the amount of pressure they are under as the message is drilled into them every minute what an honor it is to be there, how lucky they are to have been chosen, how they should invest every bit of their time, talent and energy into making the team, and how they will be treated like pariahs if they leave. I doubt leaving is an easy decision.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 3

I think Kelli would be a hoot to hang out with.

I agree. And I think she looks amazing, weight gain and tight clothes and all. She's like 50 years old and manages to stand out as one of the prettiest women in the room even when surrounded by dozens of women in their late teens and early 20's!

I am just in awe of how well Kelli carries herself and I really do think she's prettier than most of the girls on the show.

• Love 6

I agree. And I think she looks amazing, weight gain and tight clothes and all. She's like 50 years old and manages to stand out as one of the prettiest women in the room even when surrounded by dozens of women in their late teens and early 20's!

I am just in awe of how well Kelli carries herself and I really do think she's prettier than most of the girls on the show.

I have to agree with this. And I appreciate that she will post photos of herself online without makeup, hair up, etc. 

• Love 2

I have to agree with this. And I appreciate that she will post photos of herself online without makeup, hair up, etc.

Doesn't this go against the DCC code though as communicated to Brittany D'alessandro when she showed up to her uniform fitting late with no make up? :p

I'm totally kidding by the way. I love Kelli.

• Love 1

Doesn't this go against the DCC code though as communicated to Brittany D'alessandro when she showed up to her uniform fitting late with no make up? :p

I'm totally kidding by the way. I love Kelli.

haha, right? Oh poor Brittany D...forever will be remembered as the girl who came from her job in a daycare without make up on...LATE!!

• Love 2

Did anyone see the hilarious photo of Sam Finglass telling Kelli she got accepted into Columbia U?

https://twitter.com/Kelli_Finglass/status/651977045602254848

I was curious about this because I got into a pretty good (although not Ivy League) college early admission and I heard in December. I looked and Columbia's early decision time is mid-December. Is Sam applying to start in the spring or something? I know someone said she got into A&M and honestly I hope she goes to Columbia. She seems so smart and ambitious I think it would be a great challenge for her to have such a new environment.

I was curious about this because I got into a pretty good (although not Ivy League) college early admission and I heard in December. I looked and Columbia's early decision time is mid-December. Is Sam applying to start in the spring or something? I know someone said she got into A&M and honestly I hope she goes to Columbia. She seems so smart and ambitious I think it would be a great challenge for her to have such a new environment.

I feel like I'm the past she posted about being accepted to Brown, but it was really some summer exchange program.

https://mobile.twitter.com/samfinglass/status/594146288381210624

Edited by RhiRhi

I feel weird being skeptical of a high school girl, but none of the Columbi stuff adds up. Columbia is a early decision school -- if you apply early decision, you find out mid Decmeber, and it is a binding agreement you will attend. Not only wouldn't she know her status yet, she wouldn't be looking at other schools (like how she mentioned Yale on Twitter).

If she applied regular decision, she wouldn't know until the spring.

She could be looking at other schools, she just wouldn't be allowed to apply early decision to any of them & would have to withdraw other applications if Columbia accepted her, if I'm understanding the rules correctly.  Also, according to Columbia's policies, it looks like all Ivys only notify applicants mid December and late March (as others above have said).

I feel weird being skeptical of a high school girl, but none of the Columbi stuff adds up. Columbia is a early decision school -- if you apply early decision, you find out mid Decmeber, and it is a binding agreement you will attend. Not only wouldn't she know her status yet, she wouldn't be looking at other schools (like how she mentioned Yale on Twitter).

If she applied regular decision, she wouldn't know until the spring.

Was the Yale stuff tweeted after the Columbia announcement? Wow - this is interesting information. Especially the part about early decision meaning she has to go there and how it seems she is unsure if she will go or not.

Was the Yale stuff tweeted after the Columbia announcement? Wow - this is interesting information. Especially the part about early decision meaning she has to go there and how it seems she is unsure if she will go or not.

But she also tweeted that she was accepted to Texas A&M so she definitely isn't early decision at Columbia (you can only apply for early decision at one school and any regular decision applications must be immediately withdrawn elsewhere) Very strange.

Plus does A&M send letters in September/ October?

Edited by RhiRhi

My friend's son just got a notice he was accepted into UT at Austin and also A&M.  So that is legit, I'm sure.  I think Texas has something where if you are in the top 10% of your high school class, the state schools automatically accept you or something.  (Any Texans here please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that is what my friend told me once).  

The Yale stuff was in one of her tweets to someone congratulating on her about Columbia -- like "Thanks, now waiting on Yale" or something.

That's just not how it works, because early decision is binding and not even out yet.

My friend's son just got a notice he was accepted into UT at Austin and also A&M. So that is legit, I'm sure. I think Texas has something where if you are in the top 10% of your high school class, the state schools automatically accept you or something. (Any Texans here please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that is what my friend told me once).

UT Austin is currently only accepting top 7%. Well, at least that's what it was last fall when my cousin was applying. I don't know about A&M.

• Love 1

I have just binge watched all 10 seasons of this show.  I'm a bit older than Kelli so on many levels I can relate to her but from someone who was plagued by politics both in my own cheer career and then with my daughters', I often find Kelli and Judy playing favorites and picking on others.

First of all I think it's time for a uniform update.  The puffy sleeves, big collars and short shorts just scream 70s to me.  I was glad when they got rid of the "go-go" boots and went to cowboy boots but think they need to update the look of the uniform again.  I also do not agree with them choosing girls on the size of their bodies.  With Kim Kardashian, Beyonce and Nicki Minaj so popular and the obsession with big butts these days, why do the DCC still focus on skinny little women?  It's just another reason maybe the DCC needs to bring in a younger coach to balance out some of the dated views of Kelli, Judy and Kitty.

They scream class and maturity  but then they teach these girls raunchy looking dance moves.  It makes me think they are totally oxymoronic with their views.  Girl next door but let's thrust our pelvis during every dance.  Let's also enhance the boobs and leave nothing to the imagination with the shorts.

All that being said, I respect their requirement for near perfection.  It does make for an awesome side show experience!!  I wonder if these girls have to sign something that says they will not sue the coaches for slander as Kelli, Judy and Kitty all say some pretty awful things behind these girls' backs.  If I made the team and then watched the season later on and saw and heard what they said about me, I would have a very hard time saying "yes ma'am" in such a deferential way knowing how catty and ugly these women had been.

• Love 2

First of all I think it's time for a uniform update.  The puffy sleeves, big collars and short shorts just scream 70s to me.  

I also do not agree with them choosing girls on the size of their bodies.  With Kim Kardashian, Beyonce and Nicki Minaj so popular and the obsession with big butts these days, why do the DCC still focus on skinny little women? 

What kind of update would you suggest? I think they stick with that "look" because it's very popular.

Also, while the size of their bodies shouldn't matter..it does. They're dancers and they need to look a certain way. No one wants to see jiggle. I don't think they chose them based on their body size, but it does play a major role in how it looks while dancing AND in the uniform.

No one wants to see jiggle.

That's true, it doesn't look good (like Breelan this year), but they have turned down candidates with "body issues" who were toned. I don't remember her name, but I don't recall the one with the "thutt" having jiggle problems. Vivian is another who was "thick" but toned, with Kelli even admitting that her thighs may have been large but were rock solid muscle. I'm sure there have been others, these are the 2 who stood out to me.

KellyDCKM - I agree with you that body type has changed but I think you have to take into consideration the venue where the girls perform.  That HD screen is tough.  When I went to a game, Kelsi Reich looked fat (she wasn't), the girls fake tans were on the edge of orange and some of the prettiest girls on the team looked bad (this was 2011).

I agree with your post but I don't know how progressive this organization is - my eyes are still bleeding from that calendar shoot fashion show.

• Love 1

I have always wondered how K&J explain away all the rude comments they make about girls during the process that I'm sure they aren't aware of till the show airs.  I'd be devastated by some of what they say or start to really wonder if they double talk lol  And the most awkward part is they have episode watch parties, like the team with Kelli and Judy!! If I were k&J I'd be hiding under my seat.

That's true, it doesn't look good (like Breelan this year), but they have turned down candidates with "body issues" who were toned. I don't remember her name, but I don't recall the one with the "thutt" having jiggle problems. Vivian is another who was "thick" but toned, with Kelli even admitting that her thighs may have been large but were rock solid muscle. I'm sure there have been others, these are the 2 who stood out to me.

Megan with the "thutt" -- I thought she looked good in the uniform and I was annoyed they cut her seemingly for that. Katie Schouten also comes to mind. She was beautiful and a great dancer, and not jiggly. She just had wider hips and a little more butt than the other girls. Also Grace Sells. These girls all looked great in uniform in my opinion. I'm not asking for Nicki Minaj butts, but I just saw no reason for any of them to be cut.

• Love 1

I don't know how to fix it, but this show has gone completely stale for me. I used to know who all the rookies were each year, and some of their back story. I couldn't name more than 2 or three of last year's rookies. I appreciate that they're trying to mix it up a little with things like show group auditions at Gilley's and the fan vote for training camp. But those things were merely interesting, not compelling. This show used to be appointment television for me. Now I dvr it, read the comments on the forum, and only watch the episode if the comments mention something interesting. Even then, I fast forward throught the show to get the the part people are talking about. I haven't seen a full episode of this show in years. The way the team is run is very formulaic, so no matter how they change up the show, the content is the same. Same process, same staff, same makeovers, same choreography, same uniforms, same activities, same angst.

My attitude is at least in part becuase watching the show has made me cynical about the team. In the beginning, it was about young dancers with a big dream. Now the dancers seem too desperate, too foolish to make the kinds of mistakes that could be avoided if they'd watched prior seasons. They seem too willing to hand themseslves over to an organziation that monopolizes their lives, pays them very little, and takes every opportunity to cause competition between them and make them feel unworthy.  The dream doesn't seem as shiny and fantastic of an opportunity, now that I know how hypocritical the organization is (the DCC are "good girls" now put on this skimpy outfit") and how much influence the likes of Kelli, Judy, and Kitty (who don't particuarly like most of these girls) have on these girls.

Don't forget honor and opportunity.

"Yes Ma'am."  I wish they would yell, "HELL NO!!!"

I wouldn't mind seeing the show get rid of the semi-finals episode, and just premiering each season at finals with a quick recap of semis- maybe a 1.5 hour episode. I just find the first episode to be a bit boring. Seeing girls who are overweight or completely out of their element is not entertaining, especially 10 years in, and I rarely get anything out of the first phase of tryouts when the girls are doing a freestyle dance. I'm sure this change would never happen, but if there is a set number of episodes, I would much rather see another one from training camp, perhaps even an episode that focused on the vets.

I LOVE THIS PART OF THE SHOW.  Really.  It shows the most dancing and sometimes, good music. Once they get into training camp, there isn't as much dancing shown, which is disappointing.

• Love 1
What kind of update would you suggest? I think they stick with that "look" because it's very popular.

I think they need to update the cut of the shorts. The current cut has such a low waist and such a short inseam that the shorts widen the backside of everyone who wears them. Even bringing the waistband up a couple of inches would make a huge difference and would still be well under the belly button. The ultra low-rise waistline went out of fashion a number of years ago. They would do well to bring the shorts more into line with the way they were initially conceived in the 1970s.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 1

I thought the shorts were fine when MTT first started.  Then they made them smaller - I forget exactly when - maybe season 4 or so.  They do widen the girls' backsides now.  They were more flattering before, IMO.  

I think they need to update the cut of the shorts. The current cut has such a low waist and such a short inseam that the shorts widen the backside of everyone who wears them. Even bringing the waistband up a couple of inches would make a huge difference and would still be well under the belly button. The ultra low-rise waistline went out of fashion a number of years ago. They would do well to bring the shorts more into line with the way they were initially conceived in the 1970s.

Totaly agree that they could raise the waist AND lengthen the bottoms about an inch or two, and it would be so much more flattering. The super low rise waist is 10 years out of date, and it DOES make even the most toned girls look flatter and wider with a muffin top if they move at all. Also, it would balance out the big sleeves instead of looking like a pirate in a diaper. The sleeves are what keep the DCC from looking like so many NFL teams who have skanky looking bra tops. Looks too much like dancing in undies. 

• Love 1

Oranaiche, I have always thought Grace, Katie Shouten and Meg Pravden were the 3 biggest misses Kelli has made during MTT. Kelli seems to always want redheads and she had a real beauty in Katie, as well as, a good dancer. Meg was sexy and powerful. Such a pity.. would have been great DCC's IMO.