Type keyword(s) to search

The DCC Organization: Coaches, Judges and Owner Group

• Start Topic

When I said "come up" I didn't mean she "makes them up". I'm sure they're real words; just none I've ever heard of. Just wanted to clarify that; didn't mean to offend or upset anyone. I guess I just worded it wrong; sorry about that

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 1

I struggle with respecting Kitty Carter.

I think her DCC dance critique is the best predictor of whether the judges will also like the solo. I think her advice is spot on but I wonder if Charlotte believes she is an ambassador risk. A person can deliver a frank, honest and colorful critique and still be polished and forthright.

I wish Kitty would adjust her filter up by one notch.

Edited by Abigail-S
  • Love 4

With as crude as Kitty was being in the most recent episode, I have to wonder if she's ever been coached/approached by anyone with the organization. I know Kelli's the EP for the show, but I can't imagine her being okay with any current DCC or any alum saying such nasty, outrageous things in public. For Kitty to always go on about how she was a DCC and is representing them, it seems like she'd get called out on how inappropriate she is.

• Love 2

As I think I've said before, I would love a 24/7 TV channel called "Kitty Carter Yells at People." It's just occurred to me that after 10 seasons there's probably enough Kitty footage out there for a nice long YouTube montage. Hmmmmmmmm . . . . . . 

• Love 7

I think it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. She is now a character that's expected to be salty and out-spoken, so she must keep it up and out do herself every season.  She is pretty lightweight compared to other dance instructors I've seen.

• Love 2

I think if Charlotte had a problem with Kitty's behavior, Kitty wouldn't be on the show IMO. I don't really have an issue with her personally. Yeah, sometimes she's not nice, but honestly she could be so much worse, and I guarantee you there are dance teachers out there who are way worse than her and just don't happen to be on national TV.

Kitty is harsh, but seriously, I think so many of these girls come in as the darling of their studio or college dance team, pageant winners, always told they're perfect, and think they know it all. Kitty may burst some bubbles, but she also lets them know they're NOT the most special snowflakes, and they're going to have to work really hard to be The Best of the Best. She puts her words into some really bizarre phrases sometimes, but I can't think of one time when her advice was wrong.

• Love 8

I think part of what made the earlier seasons more compelling was the fact that the squads from around 2007-2010 were absolutely gorgeous!  Good Lord, where are all the Kelsi Reichs and Abigail Kleins now?

I also LOVED the season where they went beyond the first game and included the preparation for the Susan G Komen halftime show.  If we cut out some of that cheesy stuff with Melissa Rycroft having "interventions" with mediocre dancers, CMT could make time for that.  Ditto the dance they did with Big & Rich...those special performances were great to watch.

I enjoyed the segments in past seasons where they followed the girls to the water park, or to the apartment complex where a lot of them lived.  Again, we want to follow the vets and see them dance:  I, for one, am sick of the hyper-focus on the weakest TC candidates in the group, and think CMT should show more veterans.

I suggest they bring back some former vets from Seasons 1-8.  Besides Kelsi Reich and Abigail Klein, I'm thinking Brooke Sorensen, Ashton Torres, the Trevino sisters, Jackie Bob, Whitney Isleib, even Cassie (although people will complain of favoritism).  Put some of them on the prelim judges panel or allow them to be available for mentoring.  And I totally agree with posters who suggest we get to watch the process for selecting triangle point girl.

This is a slightly OT question but it's been driving me CRAZY and I'm hoping someone knows who the heck this girl was (maybe even you, MOD!):...During a rerun of Season 7, in episode 3, I noticed a light-skinned black girl with medium-shoulder-length, curly hair sitting in a pink (rookie) practice outfit at the end of studio rehearsal.  She was sitting cross-legged on the floor with the others, just to the left of Jena Lene, and I could catch a quick glimpse of her dancing just a minute or so before that.  She briefly appears at the :08 minute mark of the episode as Kelli was standing addressing the girls, so you have to pause it to see, but she's obviously a dancer.  WHO IS THAT GIRL?  I don’t ever remember seeing her on camera…ever.  Nor did she make the final team.  Has CMT ever completely eliminated a rookie candidate from the show AFTER the season was filmed?

The last post on page 25 of the former DCC thread answers this same question more fully, but her name was Sintia.

Oh, I got it now. Bummer, she was cute and danced well from the little bit I saw of her.  she had a legal issue? Something like that.

Oh, I got it now. Bummer, she was cute and danced well from the little bit I saw of her.  she had a legal issue? Something like that.

Sounded like that might be the case, but I only know what I see on the show and read on this forum. :) 

These little mysteries like vanishing girls that happen from time to time do pique my interest, but I understand there may be bigger privacy issues in play for why some of these girls leave (legal, medical, personal, whatever) and they don't address it.

Edited by Aegolius
  • Love 1

I think she's become something of a 'cult favorite ' for her antics and the shows producers got the message that her fans want more! So they encourage Kitty to "go nuts."

Also, at this stage of the game, any girl who goes to Kitty goes in knowing FULL WELL she can and will say and do whatever crazy thing she wants... after 10 years on the air, this should not be a shocker to anyone. The show is in charge of the show, and the show likes Kitty cray and mean. Money always talks.

• Love 2

I would explain why a girl gets cut instead of others who are criticised and kept. How does Kellie decide who to see in her office and who she can let go with just the comments they made in practice.

Though, perhaps, this can't be done without being too cruel to the girl who was cut. It must be difficult to hear these evaluations on tv as it is.

I'd just like to give a shout-out to the posters on this thread who were kind enough to point out that we haven't been as emotionally invested in the girls since Season 7.  I noticed that as well...and thought it was just me (I figured it was a mental side effect of reaching my late 40s!).  Now I realize that whatever formulaic system they've gone to since then, it's resulted in viewers knowing LESS about the girls than in previous years. (Well, with the exception of a few "weak links" that squeak by that season, only to be cut their first year trying out as a vet.)  

And I completely agree that Season 2 is the best incarnation of MTT, hands down.  I can name all the girls from Season 2-7 by face alone, yet I STILL can't remember names of all the most recent vets...and that was just last year!  (But of COURSE I know who Breelan, Morgan, and Ashley are.  Ugh.)

Do you think this is deliberate on the show's part: making it harder for us to "get to know all the girls"?  For instance, switching from last names to middle names was an effort at making them harder to identify (I guess), and happened around Season 7 or so.  That's the same time that hyper-focusing on just one or two girls began.  I have to believe they're doing this on purpose, since no producer in their right mind can go back and watch Season 2, then compare that to seasons 8 or 9, and think, "Oh, yeah, we're doing a WAY better job now!"  

Then again, who knows?  Hollywood is strange.  For all we know, those fools DO think their most recent MTT product is their best work.

The quickest way to improve the show would be for the producers to go re-watch the first few seasons...then do THAT.

• Love 2

Favorite Kitty-isms:

"I'm-a-STRIP-per, I'm-a-SLUT."

"Rer-RERR, rer-rer-RERR" (stiff arms, exaggerated movements as Kitty tries to imitate Ashley Paige).

"If it takes you that long to get your engine started, you're going to be on the Titanic, yah?"

"Have you worked with product in your hair? Cuz you look like a drowned rat."

"That's great if you're on Spring Break, but not if you're in the stadium.  You look like a big blob of chocolate."

"You look like Grandma Moses."

"What is that costume supposed to be telling me?  Military-ish?  Stripper-ish?  Hooters-ish?"

"Wow, that solo was beautiful.  Your hair still sucks."

• Love 9

I agree about Season 2.  Best edited and best girls.  Kelli even says as much about the girls in her closing interview. But I wouldn't refer this show as "Hollywood." Not certain if the powers that be are tired of doing the show. It certainly looks that way. 

But let me also say that I love this show!!!!!!

Last season I said I'd like to see more in depth footage of the judges' deliberations, and I still feel that way. Since the show is called "Making the Team," I want more footage showing what really goes into these judges' decisions when they are deciding who is worth an invitation to training camp and who's not. I also want to see more of what goes on behind the scenes when deciding to cut a veteran. I'm sure there are some heated discussions that are a lot more in-depth than just, "She looks heavy... but she's a vet..."

Less Kitty Carter. I know some people like her, but honestly, I could do without her segments altogether.

Pan out and show the whole group during dance segments instead of the choppy editing where it flashes from girl to girl, showing each one for 1 or 2 counts.

I would love to see solos made available online.

• Love 1

From what I understand, the last names were dropped because of a stalker and it really shouldn't make a difference whether we know their last names or not.

As for Kelly, when it comes to what we see on the show - she reminds me of my boss.  He wants to make every employee happy so things change constantly and there is no consistency.  If employee A complains about employee B, he talks to employee B.  Never mind what really happened.  So you end up with a lot of disgruntled employees.

Kelly does the same thing - viewers complain about Jay and he's gone.  Viewers want to see more dancing and stuff outside practice, we see more practice.   Viewers didn't like the calendar shoot - don't see that anymore.  Oh, we have an alumni who won DWTS, let's bring her on.  We saw the season beyond the first football game once.  My point is there is no consistency to the show and we care less and less about the girls. 

I still want to know why on earth CMT chose to air the premier at such an ungodly hour!! I work in the mornings and by 11pm EST I'm trying to go to bed.  Needless to say my coworkers have come to expect me to make no sense in the mornings on Fridays.

Edited by lscobee
  • Love 3

I can't help but think that Kitty would be a hoot to hang out with as a friend. If you are in your 40s snd take her classes for fun and fitness and become friendly with her... I can see that happening maybe if I lived down there. I doubt there would be many dull moments!

I give the girls who go in there to show kitty thier solos a lot of credit for knowingly walking into the Lions den, but it still upsets me to see her make the more sensitive types cry. This year, i felt like kitty really crushed the spirit of that sweet girl Teague. She didn't seem to be able to get her confidence back after that.

If it receives high ratings, why is it on so late? It's on at 11:00 PST also.

I think the high ratings are exactly why it is on so late.  Party down South comes on at 8CST, I think. After a bit of googling, i found that the show is the most popular on CMT.  Gainesville is new(9CST), and DCCMTT(10CST )is a great audience puller as well, so the ideal marketing plan would be to put a new show between two popular shows. This way, folks will probably keep the CMT channel on throughout the evening.

Edited by Dopeydwarf
  • Love 1

I can't help but think that Kitty would be a hoot to hang out with as a friend. If you are in your 40s snd take her classes for fun and fitness and become friendly with her... I can see that happening maybe if I lived down there. I doubt there would be many dull moments!

Completely agree!

• Love 1

My feedback would be:

Episode 1.

1. Get rid of all the shots of around Dallas - waste of time I just want to see dancing.

2. Don't show the back stories of any girls who don't make it into training camp. Like the bring it on girl. She just seemed to be there for Kelli to say in future seasons that they have turned down Broadway dancers.

3. Don't explain your scoring system again Kelli, you do it every year, it's simple, we get it.

4. Don't show so much footage of those that are clearly no, whether it is their age, weight or dance ability. The show is not run by Simon Cowell - there is no need for public humiliation (even if Kelli is verbally saying good on them for trying her face is saying something totally different)

5. Instead concentrate on those that get into training camp and those that only just miss out so that we can see more of the better dancing

6. Don't show so much footage of the girls lying around waiting for the results, again they wait a long time, we get it

Episode 2.

Ok they can keep Kitty Carter but again they need to show more footage of the TTC and those that just missed out and then show discussions as to why certain girls have made it whilst others miss out.

Show more of the solos esp those of the vets.

Episodes onwards

I'd like more explanations. It's like now, in season 10, Kelli has just explained why she speaks into her phone but doesn't then explain how she actually gives that girl her feedback. I know it must be hard to fit a week of practices into around 40 minutes but I would like to see typically how it breaks down, even just a typical practice. I mean do the group leaders take it in turns to do the warming up exercises. As others have said it would be nice to know how the group leaders are chosen.

In general more dance

• Love 5

Silverleaf - YES.  OMG if I see any more cows or statues of cows I'm going to throw something at the TV.  Yes, they're in Texas.  We KNOW.

And the intricate details of the Yes, No, Maybe system explained annually make my teeth hurt as well.  

Kelli said in one season it would be typed up and presented to the girl

If you look closely during the first team meeting, on the screen behind Kelli is one of those emails to a girl after a game giving feedback.

Other things I think would be interesting to see:

- The exit interviews at the end of the prior season. (Which girls are retiring and why, what people are told they need to work on if they want to return for another season, etc.)

- The day they have to turn in their uniforms and what they have to turn in (ie: do they get to keep anything? Boots, poms, etc) 

- As others have mentioned, how group leaders are chosen, but also how the group members are chosen.

- How they choose the point girl

- giving out the barbies at auditions

- who goes first and last at auditions

- the DCC staff besides K&J

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 1

I wouldn't mind seeing the show get rid of the semi-finals episode, and just premiering each season at finals with a quick recap of semis- maybe a 1.5 hour episode. I just find the first episode to be a bit boring. Seeing girls who are overweight or completely out of their element is not entertaining, especially 10 years in, and I rarely get anything out of the first phase of tryouts when the girls are doing a freestyle dance. I'm sure this change would never happen, but if there is a set number of episodes, I would much rather see another one from training camp, perhaps even an episode that focused on the vets.

Edited by Jess14
  • Love 2

There are comments in some other threads about Kelli seeming "harder" this year. Every year, the gap between Kelli's age and the cheerleaders' age gets wider and wider. I wonder if she's just burnt out on dealing with young girls with more enthusiasm then sense or maturity. Especially in the first few weeks of camp before the girls truly understand how imperative it is that they get it together. Kelli has been director since the 90s, right? That's a lot of years of lame excuses, flakiness, boyfriend drama, cliques within the team, talking during rehearsal, and all the things girls in that age group go through. I'm sure the chapters and chapters of rules and instructions in that binder Kelli hands out are a direct result of years of girls doing stupid things. And even then, even when she takes the time to give them clothes to wear and spell out exactly which days to wear them on, some of them still get it wrong. I wonder if Kelli is just over it, and I wonder what she she would have really said if there hadn't been any cameras.

I'm in my 30s and every year my company hires a batch of people in their early 20s. For the most part, they are great. But it seems like every year, more and more of them have no sense of what it is to have a real job in the real world. They oversleep, they zone out, they dress inappropriately, they're unprepared for meetings, they fiddle with their phones during training, they take loud and lengthy personal calls on company time, and have not one clue that any of this is wrong. Quite the opposite in fact. Many of them seem to think they are superstars at work. I find it totally exasperating and I'm not the one who actually has to manage them. I can't imagine having to deal with a dozen of those every summer, and Kelli doesn't strike me as a particularly patient person. For sure she seems have lost touch with what life is like at that age, and doesn't have much in the way of empathy.

Ditto for Judy. It's like she can't be bothered. Her critiques seem to be vague and useless, and I have yet to see her actually dance or pull a dancer aside to show her how something is done or actually help her get better. Aside from Abby Lee Miller, she is the first "choreographer" I've ever seen who doesn't seem to dance, make dances, or teach her dances to other people. Kitty shows up dressed to dance and she physically participates in the rehearsal. Judy wears a dress and heels and sits in a chair. As if she is somehow "above" teaching.I don't get it. Is that normal? She seems over it too. I wonder if she has always been this way, or if she used to be more active and has slowed down with age. She does a little of it during auditions, but we never see it again.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 6

There are comments in some other threads about Kelli seeming "harder" this year. Every year, the gap between Kelli's age and the cheerleaders' age gets wider and wider. I wonder if she's just burnt out on dealing with young girls with more enthusiasm then sense or maturity. Especially in the first few weeks of camp before the girls truly understand how imperative it is that they get it together. Kelli has been director since the 90s, right? That's a lot of years of lame excuses, flakiness, boyfriend drama, cliques within the team, talking during rehearsal, and all the things girls in that age group go through. I'm sure the chapters and chapters of rules and instructions in that binder Kelli hands out are a direct result of years of girls doing stupid things. And even then, even when she takes the time to give them clothes to wear and spell out exactly which days to wear them on, some of them still get it wrong. I wonder if Kelli is just over it, and I wonder what she she would have really said if there hadn't been any cameras.

I'm in my 30s and every year my company hires a batch of people in their early 20s. For the most part, they are great. But it seems like every year, more and more of them have no sense of what it is to have a real job in the real world. They oversleep, they zone out, they dress inappropriately, they're unprepared for meetings, they fiddle with their phones during training, they take loud and lengthy personal calls on company time, and have not one clue that any of this is wrong. Quite the opposite in fact. Many of them seem to think they are superstars at work. I find it totally exasperating and I'm not the one who actually has to manage them. I can't imagine having to deal with a dozen of those every summer, and Kelli doesn't strike me as a particularly patient person. For sure she seems have lost touch with what life is like at that age, and doesn't have much in the way of empathy.

Ditto for Judy. It's like she can't be bothered. Her critiques seem to be vague and useless, and I have yet to see her actually dance or pull a dancer aside to show her how something is done or actually help her get better. Aside from Abby Lee Miller, she is the first "choreographer" I've ever seen who doesn't seem to dance, make dances, or teach her dances to other people. Kitty shows up dressed to dance and she physically participates in the rehearsal. Judy wears a dress and heels and sits in a chair. As if she is somehow "above" teaching.I don't get it. Is that normal? She seems over it too. I wonder if she has always been this way, or if she used to be more active and has slowed down with age. She does a little of it during auditions, but we never see it again.

This is a very interesting perspective....but my only doubt is that up through last year she seemed very warm and, in some cases, nurturing to many of the girls -- the office visits were softer (except for Hannah's -- that was just painful) and she seemed more empathetic (even emotional for some -- like Alexandra).  This year she flipped a switch.  It reminded me of the years when some of my colleagues are going through so much garbage at home that they are there for the kids, they are teaching and prepping and doing all they are supposed to, but there is a bit of "human" missing.  

Honestly, I think they both appear more 'real' and unedited for TV now. You can catch some older interviews and videos on Youtube, where Judy in particular is extremely blunt, telling girls they're too fat or need to loose weight in their stomach, etc. In my opinion, there isn't a 'drastic' change, but the gloves are definitely off.

I think the widening age divide, plus the extra media exposure, and the pool of far more talented girls are all contributing factors.

• Love 2

Honestly, I think they both appear more 'real' and unedited for TV now. You can catch some older interviews and videos on Youtube, where Judy in particular is extremely blunt, telling girls they're too fat or need to loose weight in their stomach, etc. In my opinion, there isn't a 'drastic' change, but the gloves are definitely off.

I think the widening age divide, plus the extra media exposure, and the pool of far more talented girls are all contributing factors.

Yes. The blurb that featured Leah Lyons where Judy tells a whole circle of girls sitting on the floor around her that they're all too fat comes to mind. I will have to look for it later.

• Love 1

Yes. The blurb that featured Leah Lyons where Judy tells a whole circle of girls sitting on the floor around her that they're all too fat comes to mind. I will have to look for it later.

That's the one. I think there's a brief second of her standing up to demonstrate something, though.