Type keyword(s) to search

The DCC Organization: Coaches, Judges and Owner Group

• Start Topic

A big part of what i don't like on the show is editing , They focus more on the girls who don't make the team then the girls who do ! You end up not knowing who makes the team at all ! i think the should stop doing that especially during auditions when we don't know any body yet  like last year when they did those pre packaged stuff they film before auditions that air in the first episode with the laker girl , bring it on courtney and vivian none of witch made the team

Edited by mmm

ITA, mmm! The last few years, I feel like I don't really know any of the girls that made the team (with the exception of Morgan...she was so overplayed and I couldn't stand her from the first!) I would like to get to "know" all the girls who make it to TC. The last couple years, they pick a couple girls who they focus on throughout the whole TC. Most of these don't make the team, or if they do, I can't stand them and they are so overplayed (Morgan and Chelsea). While many other girls that are on the team, we only see in the background (Kinzie and Samantha come to mind. I would really like to hear more about them!)

I actually would like to see those who are warned about weight going to see Jay and getting his input. (As long as I don't have to hear Vivian saying "heighth" constantly!) It would also be nice to see (as in early seasons) the girls struggling meet up with a vet to get input and help. Although maybe with Melissa being a mentor, we will see some of that. Do they still have big sisters?

• Love 1

Note from Mod: I moved some posts about Vivian to the Former Seasons thread. This thread is for show improvement suggestions, not about what happen with a former TC candidate from last year. Once again, no one is in trouble, but please remember to try to post in the proper threads. Thank you.

I like when they include Show Group auditions and performances, since we actually get to see the most and best of the dancing.  ITA that the show should follow more girls who actually make the team, and I would like some of these girls they follow not to be the total underdog strugglers.  It's nice to root for the underdog, but I would like to get to know some of the cheerleaders who are among the best dancers on the team.  If this is a show about being the best of the best, let's see the best--rookies and vets--and show us how hard they work and how great they dance.  I feel this way about story lines, and how they show rehearsals.  I only care so much about watching dancers like Morgan, Taylor, or Karissa struggle, and would rather watch awesome rookies and vets.

I liked it when they show vets working one on one or small groups with rookies.  It's nice to hear critiques of performances that don't just come from K&J, it helps you appreciate the expertise of the vets, and it's interesting to hear their suggestions.  When they show this at all, which isn't that often, it's usually in extras clips; I'd like either more extras clips like that, or even better, put it in the show.

• Love 1

I liked it when they show vets working one on one or small groups with rookies. It's nice to hear critiques of performances that don't just come from K&J, it helps you appreciate the expertise of the vets, and it's interesting to hear their suggestions. When they show this at all, which isn't that often, it's usually in extras clips; I'd like either more extras clips like that, or even better, put it in the show.

I liked that, too, like when Meredith worked with them on the jump split.

I was looking for a particular youtube video I saw awhile back ago before I posted because I wanted to include the link, but I couldn't find it. It was a video of Camp DCC, I think. The dcc performed, but the group included some of the TCC's still trying out. While the vets wore their uniforms, the TCC wore the warm up suits. It was Jordan Chanley's rookie year. They performed to Shake It, and then introduced themselves afterwards. I wonder if it was used as a test run for the TCCs. But when I was trying to look for the video, I didn't see any other dcc camp videos that included TCC's. Was it a one time thing? I'm curious if taking them to outings is part of TC. The only other time I've seen them taken out was the episode when they went to see the military personnel off. That would be fun to watch more of the TCCs going out to actual functions if that is part of camp.

The topic of Kitty came up on The Journey Begins but I am going to post my comment here.

Kitty Carter was really high on Morgan but then when she struggled in training camp the way she did, she didn't fight for her.  She also liked Kaime and black dancer she called fun (Season 6), but neither made it either on the squad or into training camp. So Miss Kitty isn't always right.  The girls might do well in her studio but once they "run with the big dogs," they don't always shine.
I loved Judy's comment last year when she said, "My gut is telling me I am going to get tired of Morgan and Kaitlin." Was her gut correct?

The topic of Kitty came up on The Journey Begins but I am going to post my comment here.

Kitty Carter was really high on Morgan but then when she struggled in training camp the way she did, she didn't fight for her.  She also liked Kaime and black dancer she called fun (Season 6), but neither made it either on the squad or into training camp. So Miss Kitty isn't always right.  The girls might do well in her studio but once they "run with the big dogs," they don't always shine.

I loved Judy's comment last year when she said, "My gut is telling me I am going to get tired of Morgan and Kaitlin." Was her gut correct?

She also said that mia and jackie shouldn't make the team their rookie year , she's mostly wrong

I remmeber that rachel leann works in kittys studio for some reason , is that true or i am making this up ?

Her job is listed as a dance teacher  http://www.dallascowboyscheerleaders.com/articles/news/2013-dcc-squad-announced/

Edited by mmm

She also said that mia and jackie shouldn't make the team their rookie year , she's mostly wrong

I remmeber that rachel leann works in kittys studio for some reason , is that true or i am making this up ?

Her job is listed as a dance teacher  http://www.dallascowboyscheerleaders.com/articles/news/2013-dcc-squad-announced/

Her DCC profile says she's an assistant to a fashion designer.  

Edited by MrsEVH

I would like to see more in-depth footage of the judges' deliberations during tryouts.

I would like that too. When they're deliberating, with the editing, they cut off some of their critiques abruptly. "I think her kicks are great and...." "Ok, let's move on. Number 65!" And then who is cut and who moves on doesn't make sense. At first you said her kicks are great and then her number doesn't get called. And then there are those candidates who take a beating and yet they move on. There is no follow up to their decision. One of the ones I still puzzle over is Ann Lux. They were all down on her and as the viewer, you think she is a vet who is going to get cut, and then she gets called into TC. I would've liked a follow up explanation why they gave her another chance. I figure they think this is a way to build suspense during auditions.
  • Love 2

So were scenes with Jay cut back before or after he told them he didn't think Cassie should get a free pass for her injuries? Interesting.....

I like Kelli, and think she takes her job seriously, plus she has some difficult decisions to maintain the brand vs. being nice to nice girls. I watched the old Jane Seymour DCC movie, and the coach was portrayed very similar, and that was filmed probably 10 years before Kelli was a DCC.

Judy, on the other and, I see as Total Bitch. She's mean. She's snide, she is arrogant, she doesn't care to humiliate or belittle girls, and she thinks the DCC are far more prestigious than they are. If it were up to Judy, I think she'd have 35 tall skinny blonds who had years of training, but no personality. It does amaze me at how no matter how great a girl dances, if she says she hasn't had years and years of dance, Judy acts like she wants to shoot her.

I also want to cut off at least a foot of Judy's straw hair.

• Love 2

If it were up to Judy, I think she'd have 35 tall skinny blonds who had years of training, but no personality. It does amaze me at how no matter how great a girl dances, if she says she hasn't had years and years of dance, Judy acts like she wants to shoot her.

I also want to cut off at least a foot of Judy's straw hair.

Well Judy is the choreographer, not the Director.  So naturally she wants dancers with considerable training.  Having a good personality isn't going to make choreography look good.  I hate that longer legs make for much cleaner lines in dancing, but it's true.  So it's hard to think someone is an evil b*tch just for doing their job.  

I also think she has fabulous hair for an older woman.  She definitely has great hair genes, remember how long and thick her hair was when she was a DCC?  And now, even in her 50s, she has gorgeous hair and i guarantee it's not even extensions.  

• Love 2

Well Judy is the choreographer, not the Director.  So naturally she wants dancers with considerable training.  Having a good personality isn't going to make choreography look good.  I hate that longer legs make for much cleaner lines in dancing, but it's true.  So it's hard to think someone is an evil b*tch just for doing their job.  

I also think she has fabulous hair for an older woman.  She definitely has great hair genes, remember how long and thick her hair was when she was a DCC?  And now, even in her 50s, she has gorgeous hair and i guarantee it's not even extensions.

I've always thought her hair was gorgeous. I hope mine looks that good when I'm 50.

Are there people who actually don't condition? Lol, I can't imagine because my hair would be totally unmanageable without it. I don't think it's true that it will always stay healthy if you condition though. Hair changes with age just like skin does and some people are just more lucky than others. A lot of women have complete changes in texture after or around menopause. Judy has maintained what looks to me like a very nice texture and thickness.

But enough hair talk. :D

Fewer "filler" shots of Dallas landmarks, buildings, outside the stadium, statues, etc. We get it. It's Dallas. After 9 seasons, this is obviously junk filler.

I do LOVE LOVE LOVE that there are far less "T&A" close up zoom-this season. Last season there were way too many zoom ins of boobs and bent over a$$es. I know the DCC are known for wholesome sexy, but the majority of viewers of this show are women. We want to see more dance and more dance instruction, less body shots. So far, we're getting that.

• Love 1

Yes, the body shots are unnecessary and make it hard to see the dancing!  Carrying the convo over from the episode 3 thread, I would like to see Kelli give out the Barbies at the first meeting.  I'd also like to see the girls filming their video cameos.  The episode with cameo photos is always fun because the girls are so excited to put on their uniforms, but after 8 seasons, it would be nice to get a little variety in there.  With them being so obsessed with how the girls "read" on that HD screen, I'd imagine that how a girl's cameo video shoot turns out would be as significant a factor in Kelli and Judy's considerations as how they do on their cameo photo shoot. 

Agreed, so relieved that this series has cut the close ups of bodies - some of them were extreme! Love it that we are given more of the backgrounds of the girls - jobs & houses etc.

Agree on video too - good idea

I'll add to the chorus of those pleased with this season - less T&A shots, more getting to know the Rookies, actual dance instruction, no stupid body fat measurement (probably coming next week though). I think this season has definitely been an improvement.

Thing I still want to see - more solos, more solos, more solos! Show group auditions and appearances, and more about the vets and how they juggle being on the team with real life. A where are they now segment. More guest choreographers and overall, more dancing shots that last long enough you can actually see what's going on.

• Love 1

I'd love it if they showed all the solos, not necessarily on the show, but since they get filmed anyway, why not put them on the website for anyone to watch.
A better website would be nice as well, with more updates.

I'd also like the vets to be included more. Not only when there is something negative about them. It would be nice to know where the new 2 year vets stand, if K+J thought they improved over the past year, if they're still struggeling..that kind of stuff...

Overall I'd like longer episodes, so there would actually be enough time to focus on those things without losing some other things...

I really liked those little getting to know the cheerleader videos they did a couple of years ago, they should always do something like that for the whole squad

• Love 1

It would also be fun to see what vets help the rookies. I know CMT has an extra of Alexandra being tutored by Jasmine. I'd like to see more of that. If a girl has a issue, the DCC has a solution. I'd like to see some of that.

Also, how about before and after the makeover, including the spray tan and teeth whitening?

• Love 1

I have been thinking about this for a while and if any of you are dancers, I'd love some insight. I cannot get past Kitty clawing Caila's leg. What did she mean by 'pull your tights up' followed by her hand grounding into Caila's thigh? What was she doing? To me, and I am not a dancer, she wanted to touch her. Or humiliate her. Either is pretty messed up.

Afterwards, Kitty looked into the camera and said, "Why did she make me do that?" It reminded me of how abusers twist situations and they are the victims.

This season's shows are depressing.

Edited by caligirl50
  • Love 3

I have been thinking about this for a while and if any of you are dancers, I'd love some insight. I cannot get past Kitty clawing Caila's leg. What did she mean by 'pull your tights up' followed by her hand grounding into Caila's thigh? What was she doing? To me, and I am not a dancer, she wanted to touch her. Or humiliate her. Either is pretty messed up.

Afterwards, Kitty looked into the camera and said, "Why did she make me do that?" It reminded me of how abusers twist situations and they are the victims.

This season's shows are depressing.

I'm not a "dancer" but I used to cheer and I've been involved with performance for a long time.

I think she was trying to tell Caila to exaggerate her moves. I still don't think it's acceptable for her to do that. As much as Kelli and Judy annoy me, when they want a girl to do her moves bigger or more powerfully they actually offer a helpful suggestion like "have your poms make a noise every time you move".

And I'm ITA about Kitty saying she "made her do that". It really does come across as abusive and not something a teacher or any sort should be saying. Caila (and all the others) went to learn from her and hopefully get some insight on how to improve and for Kitty to expect perfection is super unrealistic.

Can I just say that I have been watching previous episodes and Kelli and Judy were SO MUCH NICER in previous seasons. What has happened?

I can't get over how skinny Kelli was in the first season. I know she had a hysterectomy etc etc, but still. My mom had one and didn't balloon up like Kelli. Looks like someone isn't making nutrition and exercise a priority! 

I think she still looks amazing now, a little extra weight suits her. Makes her look a little more natural as opposed to Charlotte. She has a family, she had her time on the field and she still cares about her appearance. I feel like at some point in your life you're allowed to stop worrying about being super skinny... at least I hope so :D

• Love 1

I think she still looks amazing now, a little extra weight suits her. Makes her look a little more natural as opposed to Charlotte. She has a family, she had her time on the field and she still cares about her appearance. I feel like at some point in your life you're allowed to stop worrying about being super skinny... at least I hope so :D

I think both Kelli and Judy look good for their age.

I've always wondered about those girls "on the bubble". Do they just magically improve after they make squad?

I think they either find more "power" during the season, or are the person Judy is constantly after every practice and they get cut at finals the next season.

So were scenes with Jay cut back before or after he told them he didn't think Cassie should get a free pass for her injuries? Interesting.....

I think DCC is very political. Kelli and Judy do a great job but don't be stupid enough to criticize Cassie, Jay. Think most girls would be cut w an injury like that. That is why they took more girls that season so Cassie could be eased back in when ready. Also, Her wedding was featured more than the other DCC on that special and plenty more DCC have been married since and no repeat DCC special. And I have no doubt she will Come and be a judge or take Melissa R position when available. there are definitely untouchables.

• Love 1

Ok, thought I would perhaps try to post some suggestions here since we are coming down to the wire with the end of the show in 2 weeks.

1.Show more of the final auditions or make them available on the website esp the veterans or those that were spectacular

2.What about announcing the group leaders and seconds?  I want to see who is surprised by being picked.  What about picking the groups and how do they balance them considering that some may be hit by 2 or more TCC's being cut

3.Let us see the veterans mentoring the TCC

4.Show us how you develop the formations on the field from just dancing at Valley Ranch. 

5. More than one game.  What about doing a special with working on Halloween and Christmas specials.  Post these online

6.More of the choreographers coming in to work during training camp and the season.

7.Lastly (for now) what has happened to the website?  It used to be very dynamic and now is static with more than a month going before there is any change.  Someone, was it Ashley, suggested during the orientation that cheerleader submitted articles would be helpful.  Did no one follow through on this?

8. Ok so I lied, I have more.  What about showing how the reveal of game day cheerleaders goes.  I remember one for Melissa Kellerman.  Also what about Pro Bowl and their article?

9. What are they doing-follow up on some of the fan favorites.  This could be part of a special too.

Who else has something to offer??

• Love 2

That pretty much sums it up.

Things I'd also like, but that probably can't/won't be integrated into the show are

- more discussions between Kelli and Judy: Why is girl A being cut while girl B gets another chance, how do they decide who gets to go to which appearance, what do they think about returning vets in training camp. Make your decisions understandable for us.

- more judges comments and discussions during auditions, not just 2 minutes going through 10 applications and jumping around between them. That goes for training camp as well, focus on one person or one group at a time, don't show different things in between. Let us actually match your comments to the dancers we are seeing.

- I'd like more focus on make overs, since they're such a big deal for Kelli, I'd like to see every rookie candidate receive one. I love make overs, for me that's really fun to watch

And get rid of that mentor thing, or if that's going to stay - get rid of Melissa R. And the fashion seminar if that's gonna just be advertisement for some brand I don't even know...

Oh and my personal number one on the list: Change Kitty's attitude, make her talk less, make her less mean, give her a proper hairstyle, give her less of an arrogant attitude, don't let her claw peoples legs or call them strippers.... just give her one of those DCC - how do I behave, what is appropriate to say - seminares
(I know that one's never going to happen :D so many people apparently love her...)

wow... Overall I really love the show, it's kind of amazing how many things you find that you'd actually change if you could.

I'm duplicating a lot of what has already been said.  How do they choose the groups/group leaders/2nd leaders?  Why were these girls chosen?  Are all names from a certain year and up put in a hat and chosen or are they nominated at the end of the previous year and Judy/Kelly keep an eye on those who decide to return?  Are the girls voted on by their peers or by Judy/Kelly?  If they are voted on, how is it done?  By unanimous voting or by private votes?  As for auditions, I'd like to see more discussions that are actually linked to the girls they're talking about.  The whole jumping around thing is distracting.  We don't know who they're talking about because the conversation is about one girl and the picture is of another.  I'd also like to see the website updated more often.  If the DCC is such a moneymaking squad, where does the money go?  Some of it should be routed to keep the website updated, which should include videos of the solos.  This is something I would LOVE to see, especially this year, when there were some REALLY good ones.

I've been watching this series since the first special aired in 2005.  Here's my 2 cents on what I think needs to be changed to improve the show:

1.  Please introduce ALL the training camp candidates, even if they won't be "featured".  It can be as simple as announcing each one during finals (instead of hearing Kelli call out 10 or so names).  It drives me insane when I have to say "who is THAT?" when they decide to feature a TCC later in the series when they didn't show them from the beginning.  During auditions, it's fine to focus on a few who won't make it and the "chosen few" who will get in.  But at least introduce ALL the rookies so we know who is whom!

2.  More dance, less crotch/boob shots.  I'm a woman.  I watch this show because I used to wish I could be a DCC when I was a little girl.  I love seeing how hard the girls work to make the team.  I'm not a voyeuristic male (although I notice my teenage son doesn't demand I change the channel when this show is on...LOL).  I don't want to see crotch/boob shots.  I want to see the girls working hard to make the team.

3.  More thorough deliberation by the judges during the judging process.  Right now, it's so heavily edited that it appears like the judges don't have much of an input.  For example, the one female judge with the short brown hair typically gets her sentences cut off and no one seems to listen to her opinion.  I'm sure that's not the case in the real world or else she wouldn't be a judge from year to year.  It seems like Kelli moves right on before the discussion is actually over.  I'm sure this is just editing, but that's the way it comes across.  I love the audition & judging process.  Don't make it so disjointed!

4.  If all the TCCs aren't introduced during finals, then the next opportunity could be on Orientation night when they introduce themselves.  I also used to love seeing who was a Big Sister to the TCCs.  Do they still do this?  If so, please keep showing it.  It feels like there's more continuity and connection when you see a favorite DCC paired with a TCC you're rooting for.

5.  I think I might be in the minority on this, but I miss the Power Squad segment.  I know many people didn't care for Jay.  However, I loved seeing how physically demanding it is to be a DCC.  I especially liked to root for my favorites to make the Power Squad.

6.  As stated several times in previous posts, more focus on learning the dances!

7.  As also stated above, I would like more episodes AFTER the team has been announced.  While I like seeing the first game, I also want to know who is a team leader, who made Show Group, public appearance (especially 1st appearances by the rookies), etc.

8.  More interaction between the vets & TCCs (not staged interactions).  Especially Big Sisters working with TCCs on issues Judy/Kelli have mentioned.

9.  While Kitty Carter can be harsh in her delivery, her critiques are usually spot on.  It's hard to have a thick skin when you're young, but I typically agree with her assessments of the TCCs.  Yes, she can be very brusque, but she knows what she's talking about.  Instead of Melissa Rycroft "mentoring" the TCCs, I'd like to see them work with Kitty on their dance technique (or perhaps a vet or other instructor)

10.  I'd like to see them practice when Kelli & Judy aren't watching.  The TCCs always say they feel confident until K&J come in the room.  We know they aren't at every single rehearsal.  Maybe some footage when they're a little more relaxed and confident?  It would help show how they change when K&J are in the room.

11.  More field practice.  It's one thing to dance in a studio, it's another to do it on the field.

• Love 6

I used to wish for Jay's segments to be gone and now I might be regretting it. Not the stupidity with flipping a tire, excuses to show the girls in bikinis, or body pod nonsense, but actual nutritional advice. I think it would be worth it to show how exactly a 115 lb female gets down to 108 in a 2 week period in a healthy matter. What are some exercises to help with flexibility? How do the girls eat on game days to maintain their energy? That stuff would be interesting and way better than some stupid flag football game or "mentoring" segment where everyone sits around discussing the "pressure."

• Love 3

It should be a requirement for the show to let us know how they choose group leaders/seconds and show group.  They should also show us how Judy "choreographs" (or in at least one memorable case, "borrows") dances.  I think they should bring in new choreographers (who at least specialize in dance/cheer teams) to "freshen" up the dances.

Dr.Scully, I totally agree with you.  Jay's segments didn't bother me half as much as they seemed to bother other people and I wouldn't mind seeing him back on the show if he showed more productive information/lessons being imparted.  I liked his one segment when he took the girls to the grocery store.  I wouldn't mind Jay taking ME to the grocery store and giving me some tips!  Plus, with the way some of the girls each season are called on (and one or two are cut for) their flexibility every year, it WOULD be interesting to see what kinds of exercises would help with that.

I also agree with all of SopranoKris' suggestions.  I would especially enjoy seeing the vets/rookies interacting, practicing together, giving tips beyond "stop being nervous" (Thanks Melissa R, I think Breelan's got it now).  I liked that brief little shot of Brittany S helping Chandler last episode with making her entrance walk more sexy ("think of shutting the car door").  To me, that was actually helpful advice and it looked like it caused a little improvement.  Judy's advice never seems to be actually helpful (you are moving to fast, you look like a robot, you look like you are apologizing).  Critique is something they are good at, but if K & J aren't going to give any suggestions to make the girls better, than at least show us the "big sisters" helping out.

• Love 2

Critique is something they are good at, but if K & J aren't going to give any suggestions to make the girls better, than at least show us the "big sisters" helping out.

I remember a segment a LONG time ago when Sydney was a TCC and McKensie was helping her with her kicks by suggesting she practice lying down with ankle weights.  That is interesting and helpful...not just a repeat of be confident!1 Be confident even though Kelli and Judy are telling you are bad and about to get cut!!!

• Love 1

I want to see more dancing. The clips they do show of the girls dancing, both in auditions and during training camp, are so choppy, short, and random. For instance, when they are dancing in groups during practice, I wish that they would just pan the camera out so it shows the whole group, and keep it that way for the whole routine. The cutting back and forth from girl to girl and T and A shots make it hard to get a clear idea of how anyone is doing, because you aren't seeing more than one or two counts from each of them.

I agree that it would be nice if they put the solos online.