Type keyword(s) to search

The DCC Organization: Coaches, Judges and Owner Group

• Start Topic

Hope this is the right parking spot for this post.  If not, Mods feel free to move. 

Anyone hear about this?

"DAUGHTERS OF THE SEXUAL REVOLUTION is the never-before-told story of Suzanne Mitchell, the fiercely-loyal den mother of the original Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders. Seen by many as regressive and exploitative, this diverse sisterhood of small-town “girls next door” became a controversial pop culture phenomenon at the height of the Sexual Revolution, changing the game of football -- and America -- forever."

https://schedule.sxsw.com/2018/films/125050

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 3.06.43 PM.jpg

• Love 2
On 6/22/2014 at 7:13 PM, Lorimar263 said:

I saw her in a pic with another DCC alums daughter talking about how they can't wait to be America's sweethearts together. Or something like that. Led me to believe she would at some point try out for the squad.

She’s said on her social media accounts before that her education comes first.  She said if she were to do her Masters in Dallas she’d love to audition, but she thought her education would take her elsewhere.  She really is super adorable and seems very bright ;-) 

• Love 1
(edited)

Back to the Basic Podcast with Kelli. I admit I do not always agree with Kelli when it comes to girls who do or do not make the team, but she is one heck of a spokesperson and director when it comes to the DCCs. I love the fact she admits she is not always camera ready when she is walking her dog in her pajamas or going to the store. She was the one who hired Judy as the full time choreographer after she was made the director, and Judy was an assistant choreographer when Kelli was a DCC. Also interesting about Charlotte getting her degree in Biology at Stanford. Kristi is adorable, and I am surprise she has been with the Cowboys Organization since 1991. She looks like she is in 30's.

Edited by bigskygirl
On 3/7/2018 at 9:55 AM, bigskygirl said:

Back to the Basic Podcast with Kelli. I admit I do not always agree with Kelli when it comes to girls who do or do not make the team, but she is one heck of a spokesperson and director when it comes to the DCCs. I love the fact she admits she is not always camera ready when she is walking her dog in her pajamas or going to the store. She was the one who hired Judy as the full time choreographer after she was made the director, and Judy was an assistant choreographer when Kelli was a DCC. Also interesting about Charlotte getting her degree in Biology at Stanford. Kristi is adorable, and I am surprise she has been with the Cowboys Organization since 1991. She looks like she is in 30's.

Unacceptable. If the girls have to be DCC ready even while working at a daycare, she should be on point while walking her dog. ;)

• Love 6
(edited)

Today's New York Times has an article about NFL Cheerleaders in the era of #MeToo.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/07/sports/in-the-world-of-nfl-cheerleading-are-the-boos-getting-louder.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders are prominently featured and discussed, and the article includes this sideline photo.

merlin_136389963_61901684-7830-4f67-a485

Edited by California Girl

I’ve said it a million times and I’ll say it again...the players deserve every penny they get and then some, because I feel they should get the lion’s share of the revenue. There is no sport without them and their bodies and brains are on the line. (It should go without saying that talent shouldn’t trump criminal behavior, btw.  Fix that shit, NFL.) 

That said, this bit from the article gets a big old WTF: “They must stand on the sidelines, in high heels, cheering for the men for very little money in a world where players rake in millions and even the mascots make up to $65,000 a year.”

MASCOTS GET $65K?? From what we’ve learned on this board, the DCC appear to get the best compensation in the league (paid appearances, rehearsal time, performances, etc. and I personally don’t think it’s terrible for a part time job) but I can’t wrap my head around what duties a mascot performs to earn higher pay.

And even “not bad” has room for better. We can always do better. 

• Love 1
On 3/11/2018 at 3:43 AM, 123DCCWoooo said:

Unacceptable. If the girls have to be DCC ready even while working at a daycare, she should be on point while walking her dog. ;)

Totally agree and would like to know why Miranda outside of dcc events is never “camera ready”.  Looking through al their SM she appears to be the only one that has terrible clothing choices and make never done .

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, kalibean said:

I’ve said it a million times and I’ll say it again...the players deserve every penny they get and then some, because I feel they should get the lion’s share of the revenue. There is no sport without them and their bodies and brains are on the line. (It should go without saying that talent shouldn’t trump criminal behavior, btw.  Fix that shit, NFL.) 

That said, this bit from the article gets a big old WTF: “They must stand on the sidelines, in high heels, cheering for the men for very little money in a world where players rake in millions and even the mascots make up to $65,000 a year.”

MASCOTS GET $65K?? From what we’ve learned on this board, the DCC appear to get the best compensation in the league (paid appearances, rehearsal time, performances, etc. and I personally don’t think it’s terrible for a part time job) but I can’t wrap my head around what duties a mascot performs to earn higher pay.

And even “not bad” has room for better. We can always do better. 

They really don't wear high heels; most squads wear boots. Some wear tennis shoes like the Eagles cheer leaders do.

• Love 2

Wonder how much revenue the other NFL cheerleader squads bring in because the DCCs pay and compensation are based on what revenue they bring in. I cannot imagine the costs it would take just to run the DCC organization for just one year. Kelli is one smart cookie when it comes to the managing the whole thing along with her staff/assistants.

On 4/7/2018 at 1:12 PM, bigskygirl said:

Wonder how much revenue the other NFL cheerleader squads bring in because the DCCs pay and compensation are based on what revenue they bring in. I cannot imagine the costs it would take just to run the DCC organization for just one year. Kelli is one smart cookie when it comes to the managing the whole thing along with her staff/assistants.

I thought it was mentioned that their budget is 1M a year? That could be outdated, but I have seen that number mentioned before. 

• Love 2

It bears repeating - while I respect the changes the cheerleaders are trying to make from the inside, these women HAVE to stop showing up in droves to perform this job under the current conditions to make any serious change. Why would any team offer better conditions when thousands of cheerleader-hopefuls happily show up (after spending plenty of $$ for prep, btw) to perform under the current conditions?

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Lunacat said:

I cannot believe that other nfl cheer squads bring in more net revenue than our favorite cheerleaders... I just can’t.

I wonder if maybe it has to do with the type of revenue generated, and whether Kelli deliberately avoids certain gigs or marketing in order to preserve the quality and reputation of the brand.  There are a lot of intangibles that go into DCC glamour, and even if directly generated revenue is lower, I'd argue it doesn't matter, because they aren't there (primarily) to make money for the organization - they are there to perpetuate an image.

• Love 1

Net is different from gross. I totally believe the DCC bring in more money than any other team. But I also believe that they cost more than any other team, particularly when thinking about the salaries for Kelli, Judy, and the rest of the team, plus extra fees for outside choreographers, technical training, etc It all adds up.

• Love 4

It will be interesting to see the judges this year. 

My biggest wish for the whole show is that they would ditch that one judge - Brenda? - the one who trashed Kat and "girlfriend"ed KLowe.  Urgh!  She drives me nuts.  Her attack on Kat was ridiculous and completed unfounded.  Frankly, 90% of what K&J and the DCCs where is not business appropriate.  It is classy, nice and garden-party appropriate-not corporate.  She needs to be SILENCED.  

OTOH, I actually don't mind Neil and Mickey.  I watch with my husband and 23yo son.  Those two judges just provide the "every man" opinion which my two co-watchers generally agree with.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Opine said:

My biggest wish for the whole show is that they would ditch that one judge - Brenda? - the one who trashed Kat and "girlfriend"ed KLowe.  Urgh!  She drives me nuts.  Her attack on Kat was ridiculous and completed unfounded. 

Not defending her but I do get why she has to be tough.  The girls are a huge representation of the brand and can't be monitored 24/7 while making appearances.  But I did think she was unfounded in how tough she was on Kat during that interview.  Kat's dress did not bother me and I saw nothing inappropriate being revealed.  My feeling is TPTB were looking for a reason to cut Kat.

Edited by go4luca
hit post too fast.
  • Love 9

I think a big part of the reason why she called out Kat was the fact she was late to her interview and almost miss it (according to an insider Kat was late.) I remembered Morgan being called out by Kelli for almost missing her interview also, but in her case the chances of her making the squad again was slim to nothing.

43 minutes ago, Opine said:

Frankly, 90% of what K&J and the DCCs where is not business appropriate.  It is classy, nice and garden-party appropriate-not corporate

This.  I saw nothing wrong with Kat's dress either.

25 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I think a big part of the reason why she called out Kat was the fact she was late to her interview and almost miss it (according to an insider Kat was late.) I remembered Morgan being called out by Kelli for almost missing her interview also, but in her case the chances of her making the squad again was slim to nothing.

And remember, in DCC world, anything less than 1/2 hour early is late.  I also thought they weren't impressed by rhythmic gymnastics solos 2 years in a row.  Expanding on that, I hope Amy does something other than tap this year.

• Love 7

If Kat was late, then it stands to reason they'd be extremely tough and nitpicky with her. I actually like Brenda a lot. She tends to take up for the girls when the men fuss about their makeup and hair (both easily changeable) and I feel she asks standard job interview questions and not dumb softballs. 

Kristi Scales is the one who I think is a terrible judge, only because she doesn't seem to actually judge. She said she doesn't really believe in cutting vets, and it seems like she pushes them all through. That type of judge can weaken the squad in my opinion.

Honestly, to be truly fair, Kelli should recuse herself from the judging on Victoria Kalina based on being besties with her mom, and let the outside judges and Charlotte make the decision. She won't do that, though.

• Love 7

Kristi may defend the majority of the vets or TC Candidates, but I agree with her when it comes to certain girls. What I cannot stand is when the judges say a girl should make the team because she is so pretty who cares if she can dance, or a girl should go into TC because she may look like a certain actress, or she has the right look we need for the squad spiel.

2 minutes ago, cgloss said:

If Kat was late, then it stands to reason they'd be extremely tough and nitpicky with her. I actually like Brenda a lot. She tends to take up for the girls when the men fuss about their makeup and hair (both easily changeable) and I feel she asks standard job interview questions and not dumb softballs. 

Definitely this.  I feel like being late is a huge dealbreaker for DCC.  And I like Brenda too....

3 minutes ago, cgloss said:

Kristi Scales is the one who I think is a terrible judge, only because she doesn't seem to actually judge. She said she doesn't really believe in cutting vets, and it seems like she pushes them all through. That type of judge can weaken the squad in my opinion.

....but see, I LOVE Kristi!!!  I think she's great, and is really more giving credit where credit is due.  She can be tough on vets, too though honestly - I specifically remember her saying one year during panel discussions that if you are a vet then you simply can't forget the combination after a vet performed poorly during finals.

6 minutes ago, cgloss said:

Honestly, to be truly fair, Kelli should recuse herself from the judging on Victoria Kalina based on being besties with her mom, and let the outside judges and Charlotte make the decision. She won't do that, though.

Thing is though she can't just recuse herself for Victoria or anyone else really except maybe her own daughter - she is probably every bit as close with Shelley (and specifically said that Dayton grew up with her daughter).  Kelli was really straightforward about how she felt about Dayton's interview (which didn't go well), as well as her performance overall during tryouts (which was awesome), and I feel like it's more honest to be aware of how much you care about someone and contribute to the best of your ability than to pretend that you aren't emotionally vested in the girls trying out.  I'd argue that after working with girls over a season (some more than others), Kelli and Judy especially get to be close to the girls and that's one of the things that is most difficult for them during auditions.  They do it every year though, and nearly every year, vets get cut - even the ones they really come to love and care about.

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, cgloss said:

wish I could triple like this

• Love 2
7 hours ago, cgloss said:

Kelli might excuse herself- didn’t she do that last year when Dayton auditioned? Or maybe not? Was that on the show?

Just now, SunshineSally said:

Kelli might excuse herself- didn’t she do that last year when Dayton auditioned? Or maybe not? Was that on the show?

Oh, I didn’t read enough before replying- I see it got answered!

I agree about Brenda. She seems like a miserable woman who gets some kind of thrill out of being a mean girl. I think Meredith, the news lady, can be tough but fair. I just respect that a lot more.

i think it might make sense to rotate judges out more frequently. It almost seems like it gets to the point the judges are just there for a selfie reunion and already have their biases of what they like in a girl. 

I think i I a fresh set of eyes in some of those seats would make the discussion more interesting. They need a good mix of (straight) men (to reflect the demographic that spends money at the games,) some social media influencers (to get a much larger audience interested and invested in the team and to help pick out the girls with “it” factor,) maybe a popular alumni (as long as she has no connections to anyone auditioning) and maybe someone like Nick Flores who has real street cred in the dance world.

• Love 5
On 5/4/2018 at 5:54 PM, bigskygirl said:

Picture of Judy, Kelli and a few DCC Organization staff members at the banquet last night.

Shelley needs to tailor her dress asap. Judy is the best dressed.

13 hours ago, cgloss said:

Congrats to Shelly, but they probably should’ve given this to Jenna, Holly and Erica. Heh. 

True that! Also, why is Shelly getting this award? Is she the producer?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

Shelley needs to tailor her dress asap. Judy is the best dressed.

True that! Also, why is Shelly getting this award? Is she the producer?

Judy is always the best dressed, in my opinion.

I think everyone got a football that said that.

• Love 4
On 5/5/2018 at 2:52 AM, cgloss said:

Congrats to Shelly, but they probably should’ve given this to Jenna, Holly and Erica. Heh. 

Still so sad we didn't get more lowdown on the Erica situ. Loved when Cersten and Keyra accidentally spilled more on their podcast. 

On 5/4/2018 at 6:00 PM, bigskygirl said:

Kristi may defend the majority of the vets or TC Candidates, but I agree with her when it comes to certain girls. What I cannot stand is when the judges say a girl should make the team because she is so pretty who cares if she can dance, or a girl should go into TC because she may look like a certain actress, or she has the right look we need for the squad spiel.

THIS. Especially if they have terrible kicks - because they NEVER make the squad. Exception being Mckenzie Lee. But that is literally it. Kicks are a dillbreakerrr and I think K/J and Charlotte need to draw a line - if they can't kick they shouldn't get past semis because it's a waste of everyone's time, even if they are super pretty and remind everyone of Blake Lively or whatever. 

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, dccfangirl said:

Still so sad we didn't get more lowdown on the Erica situ. Loved when Cersten and Keyra accidentally spilled more on their podcast. 

THIS. Especially if they have terrible kicks - because they NEVER make the squad. Exception being Mckenzie Lee. But that is literally it. Kicks are a dillbreakerrr and I think K/J and Charlotte need to draw a line - if they can't kick they shouldn't get past semis because it's a waste of everyone's time, even if they are super pretty and remind everyone of Blake Lively or whatever. 

And that Loni woman.

(edited)

Did Loni audition the next year or did she take the hint and move on?  I know there were two that year that had the most risk of being cut.  One didn't return and the other did, but was cut.  I just can't remember who the other one was and CMT won't let me rewatch those episodes.

Edited by EricaShadows
47 minutes ago, EricaShadows said:

Did Loni audition the next year or did she take the hint and move on?  I know there were two that year that had the most risk of being cut.  One didn't return and the other did, but was cut.  I just can't remember who the other one was and CMT won't let me rewatch those episodes.

Loni took her one year and skedaddled back to Atlanta on her own. 

57 minutes ago, EricaShadows said:

Loni didn’t audition. Kelly Jo Stauffacher auditioned and didn’t make it.

Just now, bigskygirl said:

I take her over Morgan and Kaitlyn from the dreaded Season 8.

I just can't help myself, I really liked Morgan :)

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I just can't help myself, I really liked Morgan :)

I liked her at first, but CMT kept up with the Morgan Story Saga, and it killed my like for her. Not her fault for being shoved down our throats, but still...

5 minutes ago, DanceChick said:

She was so ratty looking, too. Her making it baffled me.

I don't remember the season, but I'll tell you another one who baffled me...Teri.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I don't remember the season, but I'll tell you another one who baffled me...Teri.

Agreed (duh). I also never saw the appeal of either Kaitlyn (LeGrande & LaRae).

• Love 4
On 5/4/2018 at 12:54 PM, cgloss said:

Judy was asked to leave the room by Charlotte when Cassie came up for deliberation.  They (Judy and Kelli) also said they were going to remain quiet on deliberation regarding Dayton.  In all fairness, Kelli should at the very least step out or stay out of the deliberation regarding Victoria.  (who btw I don't have any issues with but I haven't really followed her that closely.  I don't know enough about the young lady to criticize).  I really think that Kelli and Judy should stay out of the deliberations regarding the daughters of any former DCC.  Let them get through based on what they can do not who they are.  JMO :) 

• Love 4