Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls Bests and Worsts

• Start Topic

A few more fun questions:

1) Which minor characters would you most like to have seen more of?

2) Which minor characters would you most like to have seen LESS of?! 

3) What was your favorite female friendship on the show?

4) Which characters would you like to have seen develop more of a friendship than what we saw?

1. TJ. It's probably an UO, but he really cracked me up.

Maybe Mrs. Kim as well.

Oh, and Logan's friend, Robert, whom Rory goes to the Pulp Fiction party with. 

2. Lucy and Olivia. I don't know why, but that entire storyline irked and bored me.

Does Dean count as minor? At least in the later years? Because I hated that as well. 

Andrew. 

Mitchum. 

3. Rory and Paris, hands down. Paris is one of my favorite characters, she is hysterical. And I like how they started out as enemies, then grew to be friends. I love how they're there for each other, but challenge each other and don't take each other's shit. 

4. Luke and Zach. I kind of like the thing they had going at the end there, when Zach started working at the diner. I know there was an age difference, but Luke needed more friends and Zach was a nice, zany compliment to his whole straight man thing. 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 2

1) Gypsy and Michel

2) Die, characters, die: Zach, TJ, Liz, Sookie and Jackson as parents

3) There weren't any good deep female friendships besides Rory/Paris. A debate on the merits of Luke/Jess versus Rory/Paris would be fun.

4) Honor and Rory, second place Lane and Patty (both musical - how did they miss that connection?)

• Love 2

1) Which minor characters would you most like to have seen more of?

The reverend and rabbi!!! Seriously, I adore those guys.

I also would have liked to see Tanna stick around for a couple more seasons, even if she just popped up very occasionally---I found her amusing and endearing, and befriending socially awkward "geeks" made Rory more endearing to me. 

Digger, as a distant Gilmore cousin who appeared a few times per season. 

2) Which minor characters would you most like to have seen LESS of?!

Um...almost all of them?! ;) Sulky, dull, bitter, jealous, energy-depleting Dean, of course---I'd have been happy if he was permanently out of the picture after their first breakup. Same goes for Max! 

TJ and Liz, both of whom I've already ranted about sufficiently in other threads :)

Colin. I know we didn't see all that much of this jerk, but the little bit we got was MORE than enough for me, and his mere presence made Logan less likable and sympathetic to me. 

Anna and April---due to both the actual characters and the show-marring storyline. 

Kirk---I would have found him more amusing in smaller---like, really, really small---doses. 

3) What was your favorite female friendship on the show?

The compelling, touching, eminently entertaining Paris/Rory frenemyship, for all the reasons you guys have stated!

I actually really like the Sookie-Lorelai friendship in the first 2-3 seasons of the show, after which it (and Sookie as an individual character) took a turn for the worse for me.   

4) Which characters would you like to have seen develop more of a friendship than what we saw?

Luke/Gypsy! So compatible in so many ways.

Paris/Emily/Mama Kim---the snarkfests would have been pure gold.

Logan/sweetly geeky, insecure  guys ---Because I think it would have offered both a few amusing scenes and character growth  

Emily/some woman of a decidedly 'inferior' socioeconomic class :) A Miss Patty/Emily friendship would have been a whole lot of fun. 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 3
The reverend and rabbi!!! Seriously, I adore those guys.

I also would have liked to see Tanna stick around for a couple more seasons, even if she just popped up very occasionally---I found her amusing and endearing, and befriending socially awkward "geeks" made Rory more endearing to me.

Paris/Emily/Mama Kim---the snarkfests would have been pure gold.

These are both great answers that I did not think of, but could totally get on board with. Emily and Paris would be a match made in heaven!

• Love 3

1) Rory's other roommates from freshman year. Especially the one that hated Paris. I wish she could have formed friendships with them.

2) Kirk, just forever and always.

3) Rory and Paris were the best relationship of any sort on this show to me that didn't involve two people with the last name Gilmore. 

4) The Luke/ Rory bond should have been stronger. I could believe he saw her as sort of a daughter, but I never got the feeling she saw him as the father figure to her that people tend to say he was, but more as another very caring friend from her town full of very caring friends and neighbors.

• Love 2
The Luke/ Rory bond should have been stronger. I could believe he saw her as sort of a daughter, but I never got the feeling she saw him as the father figure to her that people tend to say he was, but more as another very caring friend from her town full of very caring friends and neighbors.

I wish so much that this relationship had better developed as well. The show never sold me on the 'he was like a father to her!' thing, though thankfully fanfic has helped remedy this and made their relationship a lot more touching and compelling to me :)

They only had about 3-4 scenes alone together throughout the entire seven season series, all of which took place due to concern over Lorelai and/or Jess. During the times when Luke and Lorelai weren't talking for whatever reason, even just a fight, Luke and Rory seemed to have little to no contact.  I also agree that Luke seemed to value Rory far more than she valued him. She cared for him but, as you mentioned, more as just one of a handful or two of SH adults who played a role in her and her mother's lives. Rory actually seemed a lot more independently close to Sookie than to Luke IMO. 

• Love 2

I wish so much that this relationship had better developed as well. The show never sold me on the 'he was like a father to her!' thing, though thankfully fanfic has helped remedy this and made their relationship a lot more touching and compelling to me :)

They only had about 3-4 scenes alone together throughout the entire seven season series, all of which took place due to concern over Lorelai and/or Jess. 

Having totally bought into the times they talked about how much of a father figure he was, I never thought about this!

On the other hand, these moments seem to be just about them:

• Wrestling with Dean on the street
  • baking a birthday coffee cake
  • giving her his mother's necklace without a big fanfare

Ditto on loving the fanfic. If he'd been the father figure as described there, she wouldn't have been so screwed up later in life, I suspect.

• Love 2

1. TJ. It's probably an UO, but he really cracked me up.

Maybe Mrs. Kim as well.

Oh, and Logan's friend, Robert, whom Rory goes to the Pulp Fiction party with. 

Get out. Just go.  

Which characters did you most change your mind about, i.e. initially couldn't stand and grew to love (or at least grew to mildly like!) or initially liked but eventually grew to dislike?!

Paris. Hated her at first, but by the end she was one of my favorite characters. 

On the flipside - I liked Dean the first time around. But Rory + Dean 2.0 made me hate him with the fires of a thousand suns. When Lindsey was clapping up and down and hugging him, after she just made him a pot roast, and he had been busy shagging his ex-girlfriend - dead to me. 

Get out. Just go.

Sorry?

• Love 1

I always saw Jess/Paris as a couple! They're my 'totally weren't but should have been' 'ship of the show ;)

When Lindsey was clapping up and down and hugging him, after she just made him a pot roast, and he had been busy shagging his ex-girlfriend - dead to me.

That was painful!

I think Logan is the character I'e changed my mind about most. Sometimes I find him smirky and smug and hate his friends and don't like who Rory is when she's around him. Other times---more recently---I'm surprised by just how much he's grown on me and find him a compelling character who genuinely loves Rory and who, unlike nearly every other GG character, really evolves and grows over the course the series. I still always hate his friends, though :)   

I've also changed my mind a bit about Max. I was utterly indifferent to him when I first saw the show, but for reasons I can't even defend or explain, I just find him so smarmy and pompous and irritating every time I rewatch. 

I also think I enjoy Christopher a bit less than I used to...you Java Junkies are rubbing off on me ;) 

• Love 1

Paris.  She was just so ridiculously mean at first.  She still had that mean streak by the end of the series but at least you could figure out how to get around it, if that makes sense.

Logan.  Once I got past assuming he was an a-hole by association (Colin) I kinda grew to like him quite a bit.

The more I watch, the more I'm annoyed by Lorelai, does that count?  LOL.

• Love 1
Logan.  Once I got past assuming he was an a-hole by association (Colin) I kinda grew to like him quite a bit.

Heh---as you can see, we're totally on the same wavelength there. It also dawned on me eventually that what I thought of as a cocky, insincere smirk is actually just kind of the way Matt C. happens to smile :) 

The more I watch, the more I'm annoyed by Lorelai, does that count?  LOL.

Oh, I so, so, SO get this. I adore Lorelai, think she's a wonderfully vivid character and even admire certain things about her, but if I'm not in a certain mood, she can REALLY grate. Sometimes I feel compelled to fast forward through her rambling "bits." 

• Love 2

Here's an amusingly shallow best/worst: Which of Lorelai's and Rory's hairstyles did you like most/least?! Do you prefer Lorelai's hair straight or curly? Did you like Rory's hair shorter and/or wavier? And what are your thoughts on her ever-so-controversial bangs?! 

• Love 1

I like Lorelai's hair curly. Soft curls or soft waves. But not that wavy look she had going on when she was dating Jason. It was like crunchy wavy? With a weird flip in the front, and it looked like she'd slept on it in the back. I don't know what was going on with her at that time, but it was dreadful. 

As for Rory, I REALLY liked her bangs. I liked her hair best with the long, soft waves and the bangs. Did NOT like that short bob she was sporting for awhile. 

• Love 1

I actually love Lorelai's hair through a lot of S6 and S7:

BnaQvYs.jpg

AbOBwSc.jpg

As a general rule, I tend not to love Lorelai's hair when it's either wildly curly OR too flat-ironed, stick straight...I like the soft looks in between :) I also think she looks a lot better with her hair down than when it's clipped back or in a ponytail.

As for Rory, I agree with Ghoulina about not liking the really short bob of S4. I'm not a big fan of the bangs, but they've grown on me a bit. I adore her long hair whether it's straight or a little wavy, though I don't like the curled look she had in a few S3 episodes. My very favorite Rory hair might have been in S5, though---when it was shoulder length and with a soft wave. 

Thanks for chiming in on this very vital issue ;) 

• Love 3

Funny how we have such different tastes when it comes to the hair thing!  For me, the girls were at their most gorgeous with these looks.....

Lorelai with the soft curls and wide headbands

GG112-00021.jpg

And I loved Rory's short bob.  Really made her eyes stand out.  I kinda like the loose bangs too though.

GG404-01231.jpg

• Love 1

I like Lorelai's hair best when it's darker and curlier; particularly in seasons 1 and 5. For Rory, I love the bob too. I do think the bangs look really good, but (and I'm sure this is also just because of general characterization issues) she felt less like 'Rory' to me with them.

• Love 2

I wasn't in love with the bob, but it was so true to the character: at some point in college, everyone gets a radical haircut! (My own sister came home with what can only be described as a "Peter Pan" 'do and wow.  Not a great look.)

• Love 1
I do think the bangs look really good, but (and I'm sure this is also just because of general characterization issues) she felt less like 'Rory' to me with them.

Ha---I totally get that. I was always weirdly relieved when she'd wear the bangs clipped back or to the side---like, 'oh, look, we can see her forehead again...now I recognize 'my' Rory!' 

I agree that Lorelai didn't look as good with her hair up.  It's something about her face, it made it look more severe?  I think the soft waves made her look 10 years younger.

I love Rory's bangs.  

I also love Emily's wash-and-set style.  LOL

• Love 2

Rory usually didn't look too bad (except for that muumuu in the Pilot, LOL) but for some reason I just really hate this skirt over the swimsuit.  It looks like she slung a cardboard box across her hips.

GG602-00354.jpg

• Love 1

Lorelai's worst outfits?  I wouldn't even know where to begin.  She has some great stuff, but she also has some downright fugly outfits.

Ignoring her rodeo attire from TLFDAC, because it was supposed to be awful, I also hate this outfit because the skirt is SO short.  It looks tacky.

GG102-00925.jpg

• Love 1

I can't explain why, but I always loved Rory's look in Ballrooms and Biscotti---something about her hair and the way the light blue sweater brings out her eyes. And her comical despair at figuring out they were hijacking her to watch ballroom dancing all night long :) 

MVda8ph.jpg

(For some reason I tend to think Rory looks most gorgeous in light blue while Lorelai looks most gorgeous in pink or red!) 

LOL! OMG, that shirt is the worst! Lorelai's S1 clothes tended to be particularly cringe-inducing :) And, as we've already talked about, I find that Lorelai's least flattering hairstyle. 

And you know I have to give a shoutout to one of the prettiest Paris looks as well:

GAITsq2.jpg

• Love 1

I always like Luke in his flannels and jeans and ballcap.  I thought he looked weird in suits.  And believe me, I LOVE a man in a suit.  I think he's like Tim McGraw-KEEP THE HAT ON!!

I also like the way they dressed Rory in Seasons 6 and 7.  Dresses, long coats, all were very flattering on Bledel's slim figure.

Edited by larapu2000
  • Love 4

Looks like I'm gonna have to drag my sorry butt over to UO to express my love for Lorelai's pulled back hair. :)

Here's one of my favorite Lorelai pictures. Her makeup here is fabulous.

A little below are my favorite Luke outfits. Can you identify a theme? LOL

Was there ever any press about the bandaid in WITS? My guess is a tattoo coverup, or just a normal bandaid.

The WITS date Lorelai was the single most inappropriate outfit after Chilton first day. Hate hate hate that hair, and the clothing looks like she's going to a flea market instead of on a date she's anticipated for two months.

317-lorelai-makeup.jpg

503-dinner.jpg

503-bowie.jpg

503-bandaid.jpg

503-sleep.jpg

317-luke-longshirt.jpg

504-sleepy-luke.jpg

604-godmother.jpg

Edited by junienmomo

One look on lorelai and Rory is did not like at all was the supposedly fabulous bride maid outfits lorelai made for sookie's wedding! Not flattering on either gorgeous lady.

Oh, so much yes.

The color is pretty, but this neckline just looks strange and does not sit well on Rory at all.

GG222-01033.jpg

While Lorelai's dress just wrinkles strangely and the straps always look like they're on the verge of slipping down.  Just not attractive.

GG222-01074.jpg