Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Manolis

I was under the impression Connie was still in high school and 16 or 17 years old. 

Either during the Anouk episode or the one before that they mention that she's 18.

She's 18 but still in high school, which kind of gives it both sides in terms of being legal but icky. (Actually, based on all my law and order watching, the age of consent in NY is 17, but still.)

It seemed to me that Aisha had told Hector to tell his mom not to bring so much food, but he hadn't actually done it.

I agree that would be the kind thing for Aisha to do, I just don't agree that any woman who wants to plan her own party has control issues, or that people get to do whatever they feel like at another person's house. My sister-in-law likes everyone to take their shoes off when entering her house and I'm happy to comply.

Sorry! No offense was intended. Party planning is a personal thing and everybody has their own lines. I didn't mean to imply something shameful, so much as some of the things that I hear my female friends complain about don't bother me so much. Don't worry, I have my own stuff in spades!

I do think we are getting a sense that Aiseha, Rosie, and Garry come from a more upperclass background (at leat in a social, if not financial, sense), than Hector, Harry and their family. So showing up with food may be intended as a short hand for the class differences between the various members of the slap-fest. From what I understand this divide was a major plot point in the original novel.

• Love 2

What does Hector think a lawyer would do to win this case?  Of course you would have to look at the child's family.  The gloves are off.  It was Rosie out for blood.

Exactly!  I was watching some show the other day, where a character said, "Everyone hates lawyers, until they need one." Let's face it, Rosie and Gary are the ones that brought the police into this. What exactly is Harry supposed to do? He's in the criminal justice system. He's going to need a lawyer. And in this case, how do you defend yourself without involving the child?

What does Hector think a lawyer would do to win this case?  Of course you would have to look at the child's family.  The gloves are off.  It was Rosie out for blood.

Exactly!  I was watching some show the other day, where a character said, "Everyone hates lawyers, until they need one." Let's face it, Rosie and Gary are the ones that brought the police into this. What exactly is Harry supposed to do? He's in the criminal justice system. He's going to need a lawyer. And in this case, how do you defend yourself without involving the child?

• Love 2

I don't know what Rosie expects to accomplish by putting Harry in jail. If I were her I think I would say that I want him to take anger management classes, and if he agrees to that I'll drop the charges, or something like that. Something that at least has a chance of being productive.

• Love 4
(edited)

What I want to know is which bakery in Red Hook can I find that "amazing" cherry pie that Aisha brought to Sunday dinner. I know this is fiction but still...

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 1

I don't know what Rosie expects to accomplish by putting Harry in jail. If I were her I think I would say that I want him to take anger management classes, and if he agrees to that I'll drop the charges, or something like that. Something that at least has a chance of being productive.

I think anger management classes would be great for Harry.   Now if there were only a way to parenting classes for Rosie...

• Love 1

I think it's awfully sweet that you think Rosie is trying to do something productive or useful with this. Or anything else she does in her life.

• Love 1
I'm enjoying these little-slice-of-life episodes.

I feel the same way. I find this show strangely compelling, probably because of the (mostly) good acting. I see every week as a little indie movie, you know the kind. We see a person, focus on them, see their life through their point of view, and then it's over and nothing's really been resolved. I don't mind that at all.

I mean, an hour of Brian Cox doing stuff? Sign me up. And I feel the same about most of the actors. I also thought the Uma Therman-centric episode was great for the same reason (just that scene between Thurman and Blythe Danner was worth the price of admission for me). Mostly tight writing with good acting to back it up? I'm in. I find all the characters watchable, even the ones I may not like. And the casting is good. I could see myself totally hating Harry but Zachary Quinto is so good in the role. Same for Peter Sarsgaard, he's a great actor. And I've always adored Melissa George, which goes a long way in me not TOTALLY hating Rosie.

I do like the little plot tidbits we're getting, like Harry deciding to go with the aggressive lawyer. By the way, as a lawyer myself, I can't say I found that problematic. Like Rosie's side wasn't trying to dig up dirt on Harry, about his history of violence? That's par for the course. There were two factors which contributed to the incident; Harry's violent temper and Rosie and Gary's (is that his name? This Harry/Gary, Harry/Hector/Hugo thing is confusing) terrible parenting.

I don't even know what my opinion is about The Slap, by the way (the incident, I mean). Harry obviously should never lay a finger on a child, especially someone else's child, and Rosie is right to want some kind of punishment for him, but I also agree with a comment above that it might prove more damaging for Hugo if they make a huge deal about it all. Psychiatrists, testimony, a trial about a slap? I do think that justice should be served and in a more severe situation (like abuse, sexual or physical) it's important for a child to testify, if only for the criminal to be put away so more children aren't harmed. And yet, even in some of those cases parents choose not to proceed, to avoid further trauma. In this case, Harry's violent side aside (for which he should be punished separately), is it wise to turn a slap into this huge thing? Would Hugo have even thought twice about it if Rosie hadn't flipped?

I do like how people's reactions are often terrible but understandable, either in general (Manolis wanting to change Aisha's mind or approaching the sleazy lawyer, not realising all the implications) or considering their specific circumstances (Rosie's attachment to Hugo won't let her be calm about this, Aisha's knowledge of Harry's past won't let her let this slide too).

I like this show. I actually set aside an hour each week to watch it show live. Which I don't normally do (I mostly binge-watch or watch whenever it's convenient). As I said, I find it strangely compelling and I want to see it to the end. By the way, I'm Greek and the show is aired here a few days after the US airing. I don't know if it's the Greek connection or what, but that's not common and I like not having to watch it online etc. And, as a Greek, in that dinner scene I do believe I spied spanakopita, tzatziki, mousaka, gemista and I don't know what else I missed. Some stereotypes are real.

Edited by Princess Lucky
  • Love 5

I don't even know what my opinion is about The Slap, by the way (the incident, I mean). Harry obviously should never lay a finger on a child, especially someone else's child, and Rosie is right to want some kind of punishment for him, but I also agree with a comment above that it might prove more damaging for Hugo if they make a huge deal about it all. Psychiatrists, testimony, a trial about a slap? I do think that justice should be served and in a more severe situation (like abuse, sexual or physical) it's important for a child to testify, if only for the criminal to be put away so more children aren't harmed. And yet, even in some of those cases parents choose not to proceed, to avoid further trauma. In this case, Harry's violent side aside (for which he should be punished separately), is it wise to turn a slap into this huge thing? Would Hugo have even thought twice about it if Rosie hadn't flipped?

It's an interesting set-up because 9 out of 10 times, I'd be Team Parents if they were going after a stranger who slapped their kid.  I grew up in a house where corporal punishment wasn't off-limits, but my parents probably still would've drawn a line at a stranger/friend's relative smacking me like that.  But Rosie and Gary are SUCH ASSHOLES.  They are just so unlikeable and their questionable parenting clearly contributed to the situation.

Would it have been perceived as worse if Hugo was a normally well-behaved kid who just got out of control one time (as kids do) and Harry slapped him?  I'm with you in not completely knowing what to think.  Although I have some problems with this show, I think the central problem was set up well.

• Love 3

It's an interesting set-up because 9 out of 10 times, I'd be Team Parents if they were going after a stranger who slapped their kid. I grew up in a house where corporal punishment wasn't off-limits, but my parents probably still would've drawn a line at a stranger/friend's relative smacking me like that. But Rosie and Gary are SUCH ASSHOLES. They are just so unlikeable and their questionable parenting clearly contributed to the situation.

Would it have been perceived as worse if Hugo was a normally well-behaved kid who just got out of control one time (as kids do) and Harry slapped him? I'm with you in not completely knowing what to think. Although I have some problems with this show, I think the central problem was set up well.

The thing about that is that if Hugo was a normal kid who was just having an off day I think his parents would have stepped in and done something long before the slap. He had already damaged a record collection, dug up flowers, thrown an iPad and Garry and Rosie has dealt with his behavior by drinking more. Had that been my nephew, my sister probably would have taken him home somewhere around the flower bed. Because even the sweetest little boy in the world has days where he is an unreasonable monster and it does nobody any good to pretend he is a member of society on those days. So yeah, I think the fact that Garry and Rosie are massively unlikeable people who have a history of parental neglect added to the tension level of the entire day, leading to the slap itself, and the mixed reactions to the slap.

• Love 3

I think everybody at the party bears a certain amount of responsibility for the slap, for not suggesting that Hugo's parents take him under control.  Seriously -- digging up all those flowers didn't merit at a minimum "Gary/Rosie, I'm sorry Hugo is out of sorts today -- do you want us to pack you guys up some food to take home?"  

I think Rosie's a zealot.  A zealot in thrall to her childraising philosophy.  I think the reason nobody at the party didn't just tell them to stop Hugo at any earlier part of the day is that this has been going on for YEARS, and all hints have not only fallen on deaf ears but produced diatribes about nursing, vaccination, cosleeping, and whatever else is in the books she's sucking down while ignoring her child.  Followed by tension and awkwardness and in the end it's just easier to work around them and roll your eyes behind their backs.

What's more, she knows they all disapprove (to varying levels), so the slap gave her the opportunity to  serve it back to them as her ultimate martyrdom.  Because you really can't say he was justified, so she's right, and all the self righteous indignation is going to pour out.  She's vindicated, y'all!  

Drop the charges?  No way.  She wants blood.

• Love 1

I think everybody at the party bears a certain amount of responsibility for the slap, for not suggesting that Hugo's parents take him under control.  Seriously -- digging up all those flowers didn't merit at a minimum "Gary/Rosie, I'm sorry Hugo is out of sorts today -- do you want us to pack you guys up some food to take home?"

I just wouldn't be bringing them by the house long before this.  I just CANNOT with kids like that.